Re-endorse asteroid z-level mining

A place to record your ideas for the game.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Re-endorse asteroid z-level mining

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #230436

I have had a epiphany of how we can restore mining to its former glory and retain both the freedom of lavaland and the priority of the station over those two.

Rework Asteroid map - With Tiny & Big Atmos Fans

One of the arguments for leaving the asteroid base in the first place was on the basis that it was too much of a pain to work out atmos for & maintain, as it'd eventually power down and lose air entirely. I seek to fix that with the reimbursement of fans.

> Small fans would be present on the asteroid base in no less than a few areas of all the exits & entrances, obviously breaking the windows within the base will start to decompress and drain air as normal but this will mean that there will be NO space wind conflicting or air being lost/drained through the airlocks to cause gripes or difficulty.

> For much larger areas, heavy & large industrial fans meant to give all the tiles in a defined space atmos (such as the floor-plan for the gulag, and limited outside perimeter of the mining base) keep the air stable & from actively escaping out into the space tiles. The gulag would actively port air via a vent into the gulag asteroid & also regulate it's pressure much more closely than the mining base, which in the base the loose fans are there simply to create a stable field.

Using existing assets, the asteroid decals directly follow the trail of the fans as to make them easy to find.
  • Get good - In my day we had no time for med-kits: With a inability to take off your suit to use both your medication & pen yourself, you are given the armor but must use your capsules to heal up your injuries and find a safe space to rest, dropping the mining auxiliary base is also a functional option, a lot of the equipment from lava-land can remain in use.
  • Opportunity for a new art palette and roster of mining mobs - The archetypes are very comfortable on lavaland but there is always room for new objects on this cold and desolate asteroid, willing to accept some ideas. The Fugu's and other space oddities might yet find reason to live again.

• As to keep up the tension and hostility of the asteroid, a iteration of tendrils are also present on the asteroid under a psuedonym/alternative appearance of bizarre Iridum crystals, functionally the same but they call down a large explosive comet onto its location when destroyed, running the risk of chain gibtonite explosions
  • The asteroid could be afforded to be made substantially larger, and/or have some ruins and mini asteroids & terrain randomly generated around it as to make a more complete experience and use of the space.
  • Rework the plant-vault ruins & golem ruins to also spawn there (since plant people never leave & golems are space proof), some ruins should be whitelisted/blacklisted for use on asteroid instead of lavaland on basis of arguments around atmos & ruin theming, therefore allowing different ruin budgeting for what spawns as not to be unbalanced
Functional testing to run on the station crew if ever operational
Spoiler:
  • No bosses until a later date - to moderate the reception to it with the existing toolset just for killing monsters/digging
  • Crystals/Tendrils drop objects to summon bosses - To see how the station reacts to it and what kind of emergent behaviours occur from bosses that don't spawn randomly or have a specific landmark attached, with behaviours such as arena building and bringing the auxillary base & mining pods along to help with the purpose.
  • No weaponry/Armour only functional utility & station usable objects for loot (no objects that only contribute to your own ability to fight etc. only perhaps your ability to dig, the on the side damage increases should not be a priority factor other than killing monsters in low grav)

Feedback on what you think of these proposed changes would be highly appreciated.

Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Re: Re-endorse asteroid z-level mining

Post by kevinz000 » #230657

Boring as fuck I don't like space mining go away Oxford :^)
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #230671

No.

Lavaland is fine and asteroid was a powercreep because you got a FREE hardsuit. At least now you only get a sorta fireproof suit that is not even needed to be able to mine. Even if all miners die, you can just mine with only an o2 tank.

Also your fans sound like they would cause lag or bugs.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #230718

D&B wrote:asteroid was a powercreep because you got a FREE hardsuit.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #230727

You laugh, but the only reason mining hardsuits are in the vendor at all is because people were whining that miner was nerfed too badly without a space suit when we switched to lavaland.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #230732

No thanks, I prefer lavaland over asteroid mining.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #230789

D&B wrote:No.

Lavaland is fine and asteroid was a powercreep because you got a FREE hardsuit. At least now you only get a sorta fireproof suit that is not even needed to be able to mine. Even if all miners die, you can just mine with only an o2 tank.
Lame, you literally needed it to survive, there were only like 3 mining suits (which made departmentally them different and limited) and amusingly enough, now with cargo to the current PR's you can outright either with cargo buy NEW suits (mining points) or buy a entire mining pack/space suit to go onto the asteroid/lavaland, we have more reason than ever to play it and ways of getting your (powergame) suits that you miners don't even use.

> You literally have NO idea how easy you have it, and they had to supply bosses & chasm/lava just so you die from time to time, that suit is pretty strong but its actually MORE powerful than the space suit because it does not restrict movement allowing you to move fast in gravity/nongravity with all the buffs and before they compartmentalised suits, you used to have to be forced to carry your air, which is about the point where i started in SS13 and as I know asteroid mining quietly minding my own business.

We can argue that you can probably keep lavaland & the updated asteroid at the same time (or choose on roundstart map generation coin flipping), lavaland is a completely separate z level while the asteroid is actually in the SS13 game map of space. Coding actions are consequential on lavaland because that's the only place where you're forced to mine and enter from a fixed point, whereas you can get to asteroid from different angles by taking a unconventional approach whilst space exploring if the asteroid base gets really fucked up.
D&B wrote: Also your fans sound like they would cause lag or bugs.
Exactly the opposite, there are there to just make sure the atmos doesn't get fucked up unintentionally with air whooshing out to places where they dont want to be, the fans functionally work as intended, any bugs that incur to do with them would be put down to either errors in placement/implementation OR people altering the code of atmos.

If you know why the fans were put into lavaland ruins/miner pods in the first place, they stop the air rushing out, and ruins causing gaseous leakage onto the landscape CAUSING lag. Space itself is a bit of a void, but you don't want gales of air anywhere where you are tugging boxes and non anchored objects.
Kor wrote:You laugh, but the only reason mining hardsuits are in the vendor at all is because people were whining that miner was nerfed too badly without a space suit when we switched to lavaland.

Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #231034

lavaland is here to stay
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #231053

oranges wrote:lavaland is here to stay

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #231056

Functionally lavaland is a PR plaything, if a boss destroys the base, there's no going around it and all miners access lava-land from the same point.

> Its so far detracted from mining now, that if you really just removed the minerals from the stone walls it would be playable in a identical fashion as a explorer RPG role.

> So far despite some basic suggestions, there's no plan B mining site if popular opinion changes and your only serviceable one (asteroid) really needs fixing which is what this thread seeks to provide with its suggestions.

The asteroid can be travelled to from space (the shuttle is fast travel, not the only ferry in), has no BS powercreep tools (off the bat as the blank state) and remains if not more functional as before nice and blank for some appropriate content updates (and i mean with the old asteroid ruins scrapped, so no xenos every round)
  • There WAS also a function in the early days of lavaland to travel to both sites, and if asteroid is polished up and atmospherically stable (with fans etc) besides from the general processing of having it there, it shouldn't in theory be a detriment to anywhere else.

Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #231114

I'd support the asteroid making a return but I'd prefer we got a Necropolis/ Caverns level first
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #231413

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I'd support the asteroid making a return but I'd prefer we got a Necropolis/ Caverns level first
I have to know what lies in the necropolis
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #231461

Alipheese wrote:
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #231897

FantasticFwoosh wrote: has no BS powercreep tools (off the bat as the blank state)
Hmm, I smell some tacit agenda in trying to nerf "muh mining powercreep" here. Also:
kevinz000 wrote:
Alipheese wrote:
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg