Lavaland Xenobiology

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Lavaland Xenobiology

Post by Dagdammit » #242199

​This works with the Lavaland Compound proposal, but doesn't require that also be implemented. Short version: One scientist does traditional Xenobio with slimes on the station while another works with miners to analyze the lavaland fauna. At the end of the round the lavaland scientist returns to the station with an entourage of souped-up pink goliaths to fight the round antag and/or accomplish their own antag goals.

DESTRUCTIVE TISSUE ANALYZER
Spoiler:
How it works:
-Bulky handheld tool, akin to the RPED.
-Use it on the intact corpse of a lavaland mob to get 4 species research points, destroying the corpse.
-Use it on the parts of a dissected mob to get 1 research point per part type per specimen, destroying those parts. (A bone, meat, and hide plate from a given goliath would give 1 point each. Additional bones and meat from the same goliath would be rejected as having no further useful data.)
-Use it on a LIVE mob (requiring them to hold still for at least 4 seconds, typically accomplished through use of a Stun xeno injector) will also yield 4 research points once per specimen, and deal damage equal to half of the mob's max health.
-Injecting a live mob with unstable mutagen (best done via syringe gun) will change its unique ID, meaning you can then analyze it again for more research points! It also has a 10% chance to deactivate each current Xeno Formula effect the mob has (or, if the effect is currently deactivated, to reactivate it). You can potentially max out your research on a species with just a single live specimen!
-Use the DTA on any Xeno Research console to upload all stored research data, raising a species' Analysis Level by 1 per 4 species research points.
XENO RESEARCH CONSOLE
Spoiler:
-There's one in Xenobiology and one somewhere on Lavaland's mining outpost. Each has an option to auto-sync new data with the R&D server, which set to "on" by default.
-You can load a slime extract into the console. If it's not linked to any Xeno Formulas, your only option will be to eject it; otherwise, you'll see the Species Analysis Level required to unlock the formula and a list of species where that prereq has been met. Choosing one will permanently unlock that Xeno Formula for that species; the machine will automatically eject the used slime extract and be ready for another.
-The lavaland Xeno Research Console has a linked Xeno Injector Fabricator nearby, which it controls in a similar fashion to Protolathe and R&D console.
XENO INJECTORS
Spoiler:
-Choose a species, then go down the list of unlocked Xeno Formula for that species and check the boxes for any you want to be included. Want to make the classic Lazarus Injector? Just check the boxes for the Revive, Heal, and Pacify Formulas.
-Each formula has a different application speed (i.e. time it takes to use the injector on the target, same as trying to put handcuffs on someone or inject them with a syringe). Injectors with more than one formula use whichever application speed is longest. (This is a crucial balancing factor. If you want to bring home a live specimen, make one Xeno Injector with just the Stun formula and another with Stasis or Sedate. Then make spares of both just in case.)
-Each injector takes about 20 seconds to fabricate, you can queue them up. The machine needs small amounts of metal and glass, but also consumes large amounts of power to fabricate the chemicals going into these injectors. Better keep that generator well-stocked.
XENO FORMULAS
Spoiler:
--Level 1 Analysis--
STUN
Unlock: Yellow Slime Extract
Speed: Instant
Effect: Stuns mob for 5 seconds.
DYE
Unlock: Pyrite Slime Extract
Speed: Instant
Effect: Permanently dyes the mob whatever color you select.

--Level 2 Analysis--
HEAL
Unlock: Purple Slime Extract
Speed: 1 second
Effect: Heals mob to full health.
SEDATE
Unlock: Dark Blue Slime Extract
Speed: 2 seconds
Effect: Stuns the mob for 3-6 minutes OR until they next take damage.

--Level 3 Analysis--
STASIS
Unlock: Sepia Slime Extract
Speed: 3.5 seconds
Effect: Stuns the mob for 2-4 minutes, with a small chance to wake any time it takes damage.
REGENERATE
Unlock: Silver Slime Extract
Speed: 4 seconds
Effect: Mob permanently gains slow-but-steady health regen, maybe 2% of max health every second.

--Level 4 Analysis--
BERSERK
Unlock cost: Red Slime Extract
Speed: 3 seconds
Effect: After a 5-second delay, makes mob extra dangerous (either general buff or custom effect for each mob a la emag) & also hate EVERYTHING. (Renders Pacify and Imprint inactive)
PACIFY
Unlock: Level 4 analysis, Pink Slime Extract
Speed: 10 seconds
Effect: Changes mob faction, so it won't attack people & will fight unconverted mobs.
DESTABILIZE
Unlock: Oil Slime Extract
Speed: 2 seconds
Effect: After delay of 10 seconds, mob becomes combustible & will explode with C4-level force upon taking damage.

--Level 5 Analysis--
IMPRINT
Unlock: Adamantine Slime Extract
Speed: 10 seconds
Effect: Somehow makes the mob loyal to you, i.e. won't attack you, follows you, potentially obeys simple orders.
REVIVE
Unlock: Cerulean Slime Extract
Speed: 6 seconds
Effect: If dead, Mob revives at 10% health. (Resolves before other formula effects)

--Level 6 Analysis--
UPLIFT
Unlock: Light pink slime extract
Speed: 10 seconds.
Effect: Allows mob to become player-controlled by a ghost. (Mob may fall asleep until this occurs)
-If Imprinted (either before or after uplift), sapient mob has the objective to serve their master no matter what.
-If Berserk, mob's objective is "KILL."
VOICEBOX
Unlock: Metal slime extract
Speed: 4 seconds
Effect: Mob gains artificial voicebox, changing their voice to a silicon-font version that other species can understand. May have built-in radio capability. Pointless until mob has Uplift.

--Level 7 Analysis--
POLYMORPH
Unlock: Level 7 Analysis, Rainbow Slime extract
Speed: 15 seconds
Effect: Use on other targets to convert them into this species. If target is player-controlled, fails unless injector also has Uplift; if so, it gives them the *voluntary* option to become this mob species. (Resolves before other formula effects)
ALPHA PHEROMONES
Unlock: Level 7 Analysis, Gold Slime
Speed: 15 seconds
Effect: All mobs of same species with standard allegiance (i.e. not subject to Pacify, Imprint, Berserk or Uplift) gain nearest alpha mob's allegiance and seek to follow them. This is an area effect, radius 12 tiles or so?
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Re: Lavaland Xenobiology

Post by Whoisthere » #242202

That would be great.
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #242221

Should be clear: I wanna know if this is feasible as much as I wanna know if people think it sounds good. I try to design these things to minimize coding work involved but when you're messing with mobs...
Weepo
Byond Username: Weepo

Post by Weepo » #243208

I kinda like the idea kinda... Although as it stands right now mobs are for: killing and thats it, there's very little reason to uplift a mob because all they can generally do is fight and ruin everything making them basically more robust staff assistants. This is obviously more of a failing with mob code and the fact that they weren't initially made for people to pilot. Maybe introduce a cloning mechanic that lets you create mob / modify mob types with abilities based on lavaland research, giving you more junk to do when xenobiology won't send you your slimes. When I say abilities I mean things like 'dig' allowing them to mine or 'heal' or whatnot. Make a ventcrawling goliath I dunno?!
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #243210

Add a formula that causes them to split into baby fauna. Basically cute and harmless little versions of the monsters. They still have their attacks but they're completely harmless and the sprites for them are shrunk down so like the baby goliath has little baby tendrils.
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #243517

Weepo: They can also bash walls real easily, watchers and goliaths can use their ranged abilities... there are options. An obedient fighting force is a useful thing.

Jacough: Which slime's extract would unlock it?
Weepo
Byond Username: Weepo

Post by Weepo » #244489

yeah but fighting isn't everything for a non antag, you're forgetting that your job isnt: Break walls and kill shit.
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #245072

As a miner, I would love to have a goliath buddy helping keep me safe.

Allow miners to ride tamed goliaths, giving them an alternative to the hide skin boat to cross lava. Or program in a "home" command, where they grab the nearest PC mob, alive or dead, and drags them back to the mining station for cloning.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag