New Bar Room

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Which Bar design would you like to see added.

Abstain.
No votes
Abstain.
No votes
Abstain.
No votes
Version 1: Familiar but Different
16%
16%
16%
Version 2: Expanded and Fattened
9%
9%
9%
Neither
9%
Neither
9%
Neither
9%

Total votes: 57

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

New Bar Room

Post by Steelpoint » #18494

A inane idea but what the hell.

A small, off station and off Z-Level, satellite (When I say small its literally just a small room, barely bigger than the kitchen) that is for the Captain only. It holds a very comfy chair, a nice cabinet of the finest quality beer, cigars, and a quaint T.V. to w̶a̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶b̶u̶r̶n̶ observe the station's activities.

To get here you simply have to go to Arrivals, have Captain's level access, hop inside the small shuttle (About 3x2) and go. A alternative is to place the shuttle in the Captain's Bathroom and turn it into a mini-launch site.

Its a crappy idea, what do you think?
Last edited by Steelpoint on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: The Captain's Room

Post by Ikarrus » #18495

I'd rather not encourage the Captain to further to shirk his duties somewhere off-station
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
moorden

Post by moorden » #18497

What would be cool would be a VIP lounge in the bar, where only cool kids r allowed (aka heads)

wud b cool
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #18498

A VIP lounge in the bar would become the Assistants lounge within 3 minutes, and I really want to keep the amount of "AI Cores Level of Defences" on the station to a minimum of one.

Now a off Station VIP lounge that is only accessible via the Heads of Staffs Office's would be interesting. But, as the saying goes, lets Keep It Simple Stupid.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #18503

What's with your love to the satellites? I mean, we already have crappy AI core where AI gets killed by its own turrets (somebody should fix that).

The huge problem with other Z-levels, away missions and huge maintenance is that people will fuck off to explore and they basically won't participate in the round any more. It's acceptable when assistants do it, but captain should be busy ruling the station.

I mean, I get it, it's cool and funny and all, but we can improve the station instead. Like fix AI core.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #18504

What do you mean "Fix the AI Core"? What problem is there with it cause no one has made a mention of it on the offical Boxstation Feedback Thread in a long time, the only complaints on the satellite went through a design look to fix, or soften, the problem.

I urge you to post what any issues with the AI Core is, or any issues at all, and offer suggestions on fixing this "problem".

We aren't rationing map changes.

In addition, people way overexaggerating the "problem" of people running off to explore from my experience.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #18522

Steelpoint wrote:"problem"
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:AI gets killed by its own turrets
If you stand in the AI core door and AI changes turrets to lethal, AI gets shot by its own turrets (two at the bottom).

Nobody posted it because nobody knows of the existence of that thread I would imagine. Or the problem itself. Plus it's funny.
Steelpoint wrote:In addition, people way overexaggerating the "problem" of people running off to explore from my experience.
May be, but there's none other reason to make an addition you suggested except "it's funny and cool". It's also totally useless and serves no gameplay purpose, except getting stupid captains killed off by nuke ops in like first minute.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #18530

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:May be, but there's none other reason to make an addition you suggested except "it's funny and cool".
Steelpoint wrote:A inane idea but what the hell.
I think it's more or less understood.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #18532

Ikarrus wrote:Captain
Ikarrus wrote:duties
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #18540

Well, thing is... captain's duty is defending the disk, how is he supposed to leave z-level?
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #18542

As a regular Captain who just walks around smoking cigars and congratulating Alfred, I have a feeling that if a Captain wants to fuck off they'll find any way, shape, or form to fuck off in. Be it fancy space room or maint. bar they will just fuck off. It's like a force of nature for some Captains I've seen, you can't stop their off-fuckness.
Since that's the cass, this little area as a bonus wouldn't really hurt anyone and I think it'd be a neat little project. I personally wouldn't mind some fancy koi fish or some unique Centcom item.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
moorden

Post by moorden » #18544

Kelenius wrote:Well, thing is... captain's duty is defending the disk, how is he supposed to leave z-level?
Maybe the room could be in the same level but off station, like the AI satelite except there is no station connection to it?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #18578

Rest assured that the odds of any form of off station "Captains Room" getting into a PR is almost zero given coderbus's history of vehemently opposing essentially absolutely any form of off station additions to the game in the, personally unfounded, fear of the entire stations collectively deciding to abandon the station every round forever to go explore space.

Its never happened before and never happens on servers with vast space content, but it WILL happen on /tg/!

On topic the reason I intended it to be off the Z-Level is so that the Captain can't quickly run off with the Nuke Disk, if he does take the shuttle to the Captains Room the Nuke Disk will get randomly teleported back to the station.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #18585

But it has happened on /tg/. Practically every new player to ss13 wants to explore the derelict once they learn about it and when off-station shit had better loot people went for it every round.

Stop sniping at the coderbus steelpoint it makes you look childish as fuck dude.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #18597

I wasn't denying people going to explore space, I was stating how some people, in my opinion, over exaggerate the amount of people leaving to explore space in general, and that now that we don't have a large number of goodies in space its a non issue.

The fact of the matter is the vast majority of the server's population will be on station, of course there is usually one or two people off station (Excluding mining and antags).

I'm not trying to "snipe" at coderbus in general, despite what you might think my opinion of them is I generally like them despite our prior arguments, I was just stating what I was told on IRC and my opinion there of.

I stated outright that this is a crazy and possibly dumb idea, but that's never stopped ideas from being developed before.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #18625

Steelpoint wrote:and that now that we don't have a large number of goodies in space its a non issue.
...And if you add more goodies to space people will go more.

It's actually really simple, you layed it out in front of you. More goodies in space, more space-fuck-offs. Less goodies, less of that shit. So naturally adding more goodies to space means people will go to space more.

Which is what you're arguing that won't happen?
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #18627

Remember Gateway.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #18629

Bury gateway on the outskirts of town with power tools.
Swagile
Byond Username: Swagile

Post by Swagile » #18631

don't diss gateway i had a fun hos round when someone brought back 100 disablers.

no sarcasm at all

/tg/ station github 420 issues
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #18632

People would have little interest in a 5x5 room that only contains some beer, a TV and a chair. You can't use it to get to the Captains Quarters and there is no Gun or special item in there.

To remind everyone we currently have Laser Rifles, Space Suits (In fact someone added ANOTHER space suit to the white ship), unique RIG's, Jetpacks, Night Vision Goggles, functional teleporters, more space suits, syndicate space suits and a xeno suit in space. If the most amount of people who try and run off to find this stuff is at around one to two people a round, why would a small 5x5 room be overrun with people?

Also, most new additions see a massive influx of people trying to catch a glimpse of it, see the addition of Telesci or any other new feature.

(Gateway was crap though, Death Squad armour was too much)
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #18636

Death squad armor wasn't half as bad as the noslip armored swat boots and combat gloves.

Away missions should be like fighting mining mobs with similar rewards that benefit the whole station instead of just you.

What if there was away missions with super capacitors and stuff so you can upgrade machines when you get back with loot? Might make rnd obsolete once people get good at it but adding a randomization loot element could help.

The captain's quarters could do with being cooler in general if you ask me. I can't bring assistants in there to talk because they could steal PHAT LOOT from the bridge or the quarters themselves.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #18644

Ikarrus wrote:I'd rather not encourage the Captain to further to shirk his duties somewhere off-station
A hidden room in maint, with a TV linked to Security Cameras, some booze, an ashtray, a cigar, comfy chair, etc? Sure.
The same, but in deep space, with a nonfunctional teleporter? Sure.
An Officer's Club segment of the bar? Sure.

The Comdom's Hideout? Off-station? Absolutely not. We've got more than enough shitty captains, we don't need or want encouragement for them.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #18649

A "Officers Club" would be a nice alternative, and far better than my inane original suggestion.

The only problem is that real estate is at a premium and the bar is quite full, and the theatre is the Clowns/Mime's sanctuary, though I wonder if people would contest that being moved?
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #18651

Steelpoint wrote:A "Officers Club" would be a nice alternative, and far better than my inane original suggestion.

The only problem is that real estate is at a premium and the bar is quite full, and the theatre is the Clowns/Mime's sanctuary, though I wonder if people would contest that being moved?
There's a vacant office at Arrivals, as well as some space around the dorms/holodeck that could be converted into the Clown/Mime's office. Add an additional costume vendor to maint(?) by the theatre, to retain the theatre's theatricality.

You could also turn 'Theatre' into a holodeck setting, then scatter the items that spawn on-stage to appropriate bits of the station. Remember to make the O-Club's windows tinted shocked glass; Gotta keep those dirty plebians out.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #18655

What I've done is removed the Theater and Backstage area from the bar, replaced the lower theater with the Officers Lounge, I cut the Backstage area into two areas, both are 2x3, the lower one is the Lounge's Storage and the upper area a semi-public AutoDrobe is held.

The Theater and Clown/Mime's Area is now at the Vacant Office and is separated into two areas. The lower area (2x8) is the backstage, the left and right side holds the Mime and Clown respectively. The upper area (3x8) is the theatre.

The Officers Lounge currently holds...
- 4 Comfy Chairs
- 3 Tables
- Surrounded by Rwalls, back room is normal walls.
- Electrified Grilles with appropriate warnings.
- "Privacy Shutters".
- A Booze Storage and a Beer Keg.
- Doughnuts

*EDIT* Or I could just take an image and show that...

Theatre
Spoiler:

Officers Lounge
Spoiler:
Do note this is a first pass. Feedback welcome and this is not a guarantee anythings going to go forward to a PR. (Yes the Lights and Air Alarm are misplaced, I pushed the walls around a bit)
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #18662

I don't care for the base design of the new theater at all, and the Officer's Lounge seems a bit easy to break into. A wall and a door and you're in.
That downward style for the theater is just plain ugly. Removing the piano from the bar is also silly.
I'd love a VIP section, but not a the cost of the theater.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #18663

Not exactly cozy when you're surrounded by electrified grilles and warning signs

It feels more like a zoo pen than an excecutive lounge.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #18668

There is still a piano in the theatre, its just not on screen.

Also the only way to make the Offices Lounge more secure would result in me creating a second AI Core. However I could push the bar into Maint more and leave the Auto Drobe out front.

Here's a alternative Theatre design that might be more to your liking.
Spoiler:
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #18669

Honestly it all doesn't look good and moving theater to the least populated place defeats what little purpose there was to it.

Why you pursue the idea that you yourself called stupid multiple times is beyond me.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #18670

Because if we all exhibited your defeatist attitude nothing new or unique would ever be added to the game or even attempted.

I can just as easily place the theatre in the Holodeck, or the Boxing arena or wherever. But the Vacant Office is a good alternative because its unused.

The Construction Site might be a good alternative, if not awkward slightly.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #18671

Steelpoint wrote:Because if we all exhibited your defeatist attitude nothing new or unique would ever be added to the game or even attempted.
Adding stupid things for the sake of adding things is worse than just not adding anything.

You said that the idea is stupid. Multiple people agreed. You still want to add it.

You asked for feedback. You received feedback. You ignore feedback.

I mean, it's not that big a deal, one unused area will get replaced by another. At least theater has a POSSIBILITY of being used, though. And don't make arrivals ugly, just remove it outright, please.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #18674

The original idea was a stab in the dark, the more refined, and suggested by other people, idea was a on station private Bar for the Heads of Staff. Multiple people suggested that as a better alternative.

So instead of pursuing the original idea, I'm going for a entirely different approach.

I mean, jesus christ, I'm listening to the feedback. You have to be a brick wall to not see that.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #18675

Just please make it not ugly, I beg you

At the very least add those one-directional glass walls back. You really need to separate different tiles.

The wall in the corner doesn't really fit in. Plus stage should be seen from ONE general direction and there should be seats in there. You could probably turn that thing with tables and chairs in the middle of arrivals into where audience should sit.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #18680

New theatre design.
Spoiler:
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #18684

Can you give us a bigger picture, for context?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #18687

Sure.

Officers Lounge
Spoiler:
New Theatre
Spoiler:
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #18706

I think that beer room needs to be removed and replaced with something else. May be additional tables. Barman and other peasants should serve drinks, officers shouldn't take them themselves. And I don't think that caging it like that is very good, I think it should be just a separate section with one-way glass, not a bunker. It looks kinda bulky. And barman should have access to that section. Piano can be moved closer to the center of the bar, so everyone can hear it.

Theater looks all right. Could may be make tables wooden and chairs wooden or comfy. Airlock should lead outside into hallway, not into audience though. I mean the chair is right outside the airlock currently, anyone sitting there would be in the way. Put airlock to the upper wall so actors can sneak behind the crowd if needed for performance. Plus you can put some additional screens on the wall that would be in place of airlock. Piano should be the other way around. Soda can should become coffee mug or tea cup, because theater, sophisticated crowd
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #18711

Yeah - Switch the O-Club's R-walls for normal walls, swap the grille sandwiches for tinted glass. Give it a tinted-glass window to the hall. On the theatre, give it a windoor along the left side.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #18718

Windoor is a good idea, that way you can invite people from the crowd to the stage
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #18719

I'll make some changes when I get home, I don't really want to make the Officers Lounge any larger than it is.

I'll probley get rid of the Lounge back room and merge it back with the Maint AutoDrobe, sort of a Maint clothing store.
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #18726

Please do not do this sort of bandaid change to the bar all you are doing is changing one gimmick thing to another there are far better ways to do this than just move theatre add officers room. Go back to the drawing board for the WHOLE bar most of it is really just empty space that is used for people to run around in for bar fights. Most people just go up to the bar order a drink and sit there the rest of the tables arent used you could easily have a lot more content pushed into the bar without losing this space including the theatre and officers section. And please segregating so it looks like officers are cosy in a tiny area is silly in my mind but I get the idea go with it.

The first suggestion I shall give is rework the area between the dorms/fitness and the bar and merge it all. More boxing fights would happen if fitness is within a larger bar area and having maintanance between that and the holodeck is well kinda redundant now I would rather just move that all down a bit and have maint go around that area.
The theatre can easily stay within the bar with almost no loss of space and the officers lounge could easily go where the bartenders back room is and have the bartenders back room moved to the right abit and just change the layout of the kitchen a tad and maybe a bit of hydroponics.

Yes it all sounds like a lot of work but I see you just listening to some things and not taking a bigger picture try to experiment more the bar has had the same rigid design for too long some people like it some are sick of it. The dorms and fitness has basically never changed in its position on the map.

If you want me to make a quick simple design just mention it and I will probably whip one up later this week.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #18728

Hawt. I like this.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #18749

I can see where your coming with that suggestion.

Here's my take on it. This is a very early first pass, I simply copy-pasted a chunk of the station for this.
Spoiler:
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #18755

That's pretty damn good, but there's too much empty space in the bar. I think you should extend barman's little room while moving the tables up a little. Maint should probably go to the fitness room. Oh, and doesn't that break MULE delivery point in the bar?

You could also add more windows on the wall behind stage. Just extend that wall-window-wall-window line.

Also add few glasses of whiskey in the gambling room.

Every room with cigars needs a matchbox. You cannot light cigars with zippos.
Rolan7
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Rolan7

Post by Rolan7 » #18756

Huh, this looks fun. A lot cooler than another minisat. I'm talentless at map design, but could the little officer's mess have a table for delivering food and drinks through?
The EMPEROR OF MANKIND wants YOU to squash bugs. They are symptoms of CHAOS.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #18757

Like the window connecting the Kitchen to the Bar? Yeah that can work, though the dirty "crew" could peek in through there, nothing a shutter can't fix.

Also yeah, I'll need to find somewhere to put the Bar's Delivery Point for the M.U.L.E.

*EDIT* I've got a idea so weird for the lower portion of the bar it just might work.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #18758

Ok, I'm a bit iffy on what I just did so I'll just see what everyone else thinks of it.

Emphasis on the entry to the Bar. I've also done a bunch of background work on Atmo and Power.
Spoiler:
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #18760

It needs another maintenance access somewhere so it's not just a dead-end.

It's also not compatible with a lot of the holodeck functions. Observers from outside can't see the whole thing, and people would have to go through the control room to reach the other side of certain team simulations.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #18761

What if I flipped it sideways (Left to right instead of Up and Down)? It would require a bunch of work on my end (Having to remake all the other Holodeck designs and their areas) but that would work.

Also I'm reworking the maintenance shaft to lead to a door below the Boxing ring, as well as a delivery point for the MULE.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #18763

Suggestions:
Spoiler:
Also I think the whole bar should have a lot more windows, so that everything can be seen clearly from the hallway.

And frankly I don't see a problem with having lots of tables.