I say we steal Paradise's PDA UI.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
scrubs2009
Byond Username: Scrubs2009

I say we steal Paradise's PDA UI.

Post by scrubs2009 » #242302

I mean it looks so much better then the one we use. It looks more like the computer interfaces than the terrible bile-yellow 1990's looking thing we have on our PDAs now. Plus there are some real nice features it has. Like you know how the ai has a list of all the crewmembers on the station organized by their position? The Paradise PDA has that too. Currently if you want to know who the captain is you have to scroll through every name on the station looking for the word "Captain" next to it. The personal list we currently have is completely useless. It's just the messenger list but without the ability to send messages.
Thanks, Kev.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Re: I say we steal Paradise's PDA UI.

Post by Remie Richards » #242303

scrubs2009 wrote:It looks more like the computer interfaces than the terrible bile-yellow 1990's looking thing we have on our PDAs now.
You mean the one we have LOOKS LIKE WE INTENDED IT TO FOR THE RETRO SPACE THEME!?
DEAR GOD CLEARLY REMOVE IT.
私は完璧
scrubs2009
Byond Username: Scrubs2009

Post by scrubs2009 » #242316

Remie Richards wrote:
scrubs2009 wrote:It looks more like the computer interfaces than the terrible bile-yellow 1990's looking thing we have on our PDAs now.
You mean the one we have LOOKS LIKE WE INTENDED IT TO FOR THE RETRO SPACE THEME!?
DEAR GOD CLEARLY REMOVE IT.

There's a difference between having a retro style and having something look ugly. The pda may be trying to emulate old computer stuff but instead of coming off as something you would see on a CRT monitor it looks like baby's first geocities page.

Furthermore I don't think there's much left of the retrofuture aesthetic. Most of tg station is just flat out futureistic. You can't have nice looking monitors for computers and then say the crappy PDAs are there to emulate a retro style.
Thanks, Kev.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #242328

Slibbery slobe :-DDD
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #242332

scrubs2009 wrote:Furthermore I don't think there's much left of the retrofuture aesthetic.
This is the sad truth of it all.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #242333

fuck you the PDAs are dope as is
we should be making more of an effort to return to retrofuture
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #242334

surely retro space theme would be like greenscreen block capital stuff

Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #242340

Screemonster wrote:surely retro space theme would be like greenscreen block capital stuff

GOD there is SO MUCH MORE to it than big green block letters.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #242341

Add a PDA program and cart support to modular computers, preloaded into the tablets, as well as letting tablets function as ID like PDAs. There, you may now choose which one you prefer!
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #242351

Saegrimr wrote:
scrubs2009 wrote:Furthermore I don't think there's much left of the retrofuture aesthetic.
This is the sad truth of it all.
blame people trying to make things tacticool
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Mindustry
Byond Username: Mindustry

Post by Mindustry » #242468

Gun Hog wrote:Add a PDA program and cart support to modular computers, preloaded into the tablets, as well as letting tablets function as ID like PDAs. There, you may now choose which one you prefer!
Most if not all roundstart tablets can take an ID and be placed and used in the ID slot already, it's actually a good place to hide IDs since most people don't check it and there's no dead giveaway it even has an ID unlike the PDA.
I plan to move most carts to be modular computer programs and then some. Just need to figure out how the programs actually work, and also feature freeze.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #242548

Mindustry wrote:
Gun Hog wrote:Add a PDA program and cart support to modular computers, preloaded into the tablets, as well as letting tablets function as ID like PDAs. There, you may now choose which one you prefer!
Most if not all roundstart tablets can take an ID and be placed and used in the ID slot already, it's actually a good place to hide IDs since most people don't check it and there's no dead giveaway it even has an ID unlike the PDA.
I plan to move most carts to be modular computer programs and then some. Just need to figure out how the programs actually work, and also feature freeze.
They can take an ID (which is my favorite part of the tablet, due to the ID program allowing changes on the fly), and for some things, can be used as an ID, but they are not perfect. Many things that require a manual swipe do not accept tablets as they do PDAs, and wearing the tablet as an ID does not update a person's name.

As for the feature freeze, I imagine that given the complexity of such a program, the freeze would be ending by the time the code is ready for a PR.