Strap knives to clean-bots/space roombas

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Smoopadoop
Byond Username: Smoopadoop

Strap knives to clean-bots/space roombas

Post by Smoopadoop » #244408

Based on this tumblr post:
Spoiler:
on the topic of humans being the intergalactic “hold my beer” species: imagine an alien stepping onto a human starship and seeing a space roomba™ with a knife duct taped onto it, just wandering around the ship
it doesn’t have any special intelligence. it’s just a normal space roomba. there are other space roombas on the ship and they don’t have knives. it’s just this one. knife space roomba has full clearance to every room in the ship. occasionally crew members will be talking and then suddenly swear and clutch their ankle. knife space roomba putters off, leaving them to their mild stab wounds.
“what is the point?” asks the alien as another crew member casually steps over the knife-wielding robot. “is it to test your speed and agility?”
“no it doesn’t really go that fast,” replies the captain.
“does it teach you to stay ever-vigilant?”
“I mean I guess so but that’s more of a side effect.”
“does it weed out the weak? does it protect you from invaders? do repeated stabbings let your species heal more quickly in the future?”
“it doesn’t stab very hard, it gets us more than it gets our enemies, and no, but that sounds cool — someone write that down.”
“but then what is its purpose?”
“I don’t know,” the captain says, leaning down to give the space roomba an affectionate pat. “it just seemed cool”

this is the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard but I thought about it for five seconds and realized that if I were, say, a random communications officer onboard this ship and someone taped a knife to a roomba it would take maybe three weeks before even I was inordinately fond of Stabby. I would be proud of Stabby when I met up with my other spacefleet friends for space coffee, I would tell them about the time Stabby got the second mate in the ankle five seconds before the fleet admiral beamed on board and she swore in seven different languages in front of high command.
also by the fourth day Stabby would be in the ship’s log, he’d have little painted-on insignia, people would salute him as he went by, and someone would hook up a twitter account to tweet maniacal laughter and/or a truly terrible knock-knock joke every time he managed to nick someone.'

Stabby’s little charging dock would start accruing cuddly toys and commemorative holo-vids of Stabby’s greatest stabs. Its insignia would start off at a fairly low rank, but soon, without anyone every discussing it, everyone would know that Stabby got to take the rank of the highest ranking crew member it stabbed. The ceremony for Flag Admiral Stabby was beautiful. The captain gave a speech.

INCIDENT LOG: 46-7-2 Action #45437: Desc: Covert enemy boarding attempt
Details: Six (6) members of a Mercenary/Pirate crew of little renown attempted to infiltrate ship in order to steal equipment and/or personnel.
Prior to being detained they had remained undetected for eight (8) hours and accumulated several high value materials (see attached log), and incapacitated and restrained several crewmen (see attached log) in dock #3, with the intention of using a life boat to exfiltrate.
Just prior to their would-be escape, the boarding party encountered the ship’s mascot. A cleaning unit which had been modified by crew members to mount a traditional Terran melee weapon, as well as an officer’s insignia (having been jokingly given a commission by the Captain the night before). Curious, one picked it up, before realising the mounted weapon had a nickel finish (highly toxic to their species) on the handle, and dropped it in a panic.
As the unit’s anti-impact sensors had been disabled, it immediately tried to right itself on landing. This caused it to flip over and slash the third knee of the boarder who dropped it, prompting the rest of the boarders to flee. In doing so, they tripped over a waste container, causing the unit to “chase” them, as it collected the trail of dust they left.
The security crew were alerted to the boarding party’s presence by an entry on “Sargent Stabby’s Hit List” - an account on an intership microblogging site which automatically logs any injuries caused by the cleaning unit in question - and quickly intercepted them.
Casualties: Four (4) crewmen treated for minor lacerations sustained after detaining boarding party, one (1) captured crewman treated for negative reaction to sedatives used by captors.
Belligerent status: Two (2) members of the enemy boarding party remain in stable condition in sickbay. Three (3) remaining surrendered peacefully and remain in the brig. One (1) refuses to leave the safety of a storage cupboard he went to ground in.
Recommendations/Actions:
All captured guards to undergo debriefing and possible disciplinary action for breaches of security protocol.
Remind all crew members to report missing colleagues immediately.
Retain a guard outside cleaning storage room 87 until the final boarder can be coaxed out and properly detained.
Cleaning unit D4.87 AKA “Sargent Stabby” has been promoted to Quartermaster, and is now considered the superior officer of all autonomous drones on the ship. All Class #1 drones have been programmed to salute their superior with their effector, should it enter the room while they’re active.
Firstly, clean-bots need to be roombas.
Secondly, knives. KNIVES ON ROOMBAS.
Give a few maps a roundstart knife roomba with a twitter account so it can tell everyone who it stabbed.
Mains:
David Bellic the Scientist (usually)
Guy Fieri the Cook (not anymore)
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Re: Strap knives to clean-bots/space roombas

Post by calzilla1 » #244410

That is the stupidest thing i have ever heard
Fund it
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #244419

that was a really good read
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #244420

High quality memes, oy vey
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #244421

if i have some open time i'll try spriting a roomba with and without a knife
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #244429

Just make a cleanbot with knife sprite
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #244430

even easier
should the cleanbot be holding the knife up, out to the side, or somewhere in between that?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #244452

and done, i think it looks fantastic and i also added the cleaver with it if you wanna bother with that
includes:
knife + cleanbot
bloody knife + cleanbot
knife + cleanbot while cleaning
bloody knife + cleanbot while cleaning
cleaver + cleanbot
bloody cleaver + cleanbot
cleaver + cleanbot while cleaning
bloody cleaver + cleanbot while cleaning

https://www.dropbox.com/s/av6y1w0kamb37 ... e.dmi?dl=0
preview for all you lazy losers
Spoiler:
IN THIS WORLD ITS CLEAN OR GET CLEANED
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #244468

Walking into the cleanbot deals 5 damage and stuns you for a second.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #244469

what about the cleaver, if that gets in? it would be fucking hilarious if it chops off their leg.
Jzoid
Byond Username: Jzoid

Post by Jzoid » #244956

I feel like Emagged cleanbots should have an "empty" arm where you can put anything in and it essentially;
Shoots the weapon in random directions (If a projectile)
Damages people who walk into it.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #244972

I can sprite guns as well.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #244974

Armhulen wrote:and done, i think it looks fantastic and i also added the cleaver with it if you wanna bother with that
includes:
knife + cleanbot
bloody knife + cleanbot
knife + cleanbot while cleaning
bloody knife + cleanbot while cleaning
cleaver + cleanbot
bloody cleaver + cleanbot
cleaver + cleanbot while cleaning
bloody cleaver + cleanbot while cleaning

https://www.dropbox.com/s/av6y1w0kamb37 ... e.dmi?dl=0
preview for all you lazy losers
Spoiler:
IN THIS WORLD ITS CLEAN OR GET CLEANED
Survival knife (miner's knife) might be worth adding, if its not considered under "knife"?
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #244994

forgot about that one, I can do that today.
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #245491

This is going to lead to so many bloody deaths. Beepsky with a switchblade instead of a stun baton? Be very afraid.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #245499

Why would it murder them, in the story it just jabs people in the ankle, there's no need to make it a one hit kill
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #245504

Shaps wrote:Why would it murder them, in the story it just jabs people in the ankle, there's no need to make it a one hit kill
Because roombas are roombas. Beepsky is the law
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #245505

Shaps wrote:Why would it murder them, in the story it just jabs people in the ankle, there's no need to make it a one hit kill
I think Shadow's suggestion is the best implementation:
ShadowDimentio wrote:Walking into the cleanbot deals 5 damage and stuns you for a second.
Like... not too powerful, just enough to get your attention and be mildly annoying and fucking hilarious when a nuke op trips over officer cleansky as he flees with the disk
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #245550

I'll do the mining knife if I know people are going to actually code this but if nobody is up to it i don't see why i would

also if someone could mention all the knives in the game that would be fitting, that would be fantastic.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #245555

E-dagger.
Chaplain's various knives.
Veil Render for CLEANSE mode.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #245562

Chainsaw chops the leg off right away
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #245565

Armhulen wrote:I'll do the mining knife if I know people are going to actually code this but if nobody is up to it i don't see why i would

also if someone could mention all the knives in the game that would be fitting, that would be fantastic.
I'm happy to take a potshot at this once the FF is over.

It should be relatively easy since Beepskers already has code for if you walk over him (while he's pursuing someone)

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #245571

coder acquired, begin the spriteification
DONE:
knife
cleaver
mining knife
arrhythmic knife
carrot shiv
e-pen
to-do:
none! (unless i'm forgetting something)
cut:
chainsaw - fuck trying to make all those frames with blood, cleaning, etc. this is about knives anyways, F.
clown knife - this doesn't look like a knife, it looks like some kind of dog chew toy. w t f

bloodsprites stay in, this isn't fatsprites 2.0 too hard.
Last edited by Armhulen on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #245592

Armhulen wrote:coder acquired, begin the spriteification
DONE:
mining knife
chainsaw
to-do:
carrot shiv
e-pen
one i'm forgetting?
Chef's knife, sharpened chef's knife, cleaver, eswords?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #245596

i've already done those as above but i'll update the list
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #245652

As I said, Chaplain's clown blade, arrhythmic knife, null rod swords.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #245697

I guess technically a glass shard counts, like a glass shiv.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #245703

glass shard seems a bit too easy for arming your cleanbot, and every new knife added makes coding more annoying, not that i'd know much about that. I'm going to do the chaplain knives because nobody uses them but not the swords. Every chaplain grabs the swords anyways and the only non knife i'm doing is the chainsaw.

because chainsaws.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #245769

One sprite is basically fine I assure you
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #245874

If you go halfway, you might as well just finish
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #246632

SPRITES DONE
Spoiler:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h2m2wc38l88g ... 0blva?dl=0
and the freeze is over I think, so start coding whenever you please. tell me if i need to correct some colors, both of my monitors show different colors and I dislike one of them sometimes
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #246776

I didn't see this till now, I'll start messing with it tomorrow.

MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #247095

Should be able to attatch syringes.
Impromptu medbot.
Emagged makes it target people.

Imagine.
>be traitor
>take sweeperbot
>emag, attatch super poison syringe
>cap walks by
>Gets insta injected
>Literally dying
>traitor wins fatality
One person on this planet wrote:Wow you're funny and original Eous
I don't play often but when I do I'm Kyp Astar normally a sec role unless I'm bored and go assistant.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #247240

>more functions for the emag

it's a mreous is being himself again episode

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #247241

to be fair emagging bots has always made them go fucking mental and attack people
Weepo
Byond Username: Weepo

Post by Weepo » #247834

I like emagged sweepskis already, they trip you over and pour acid on you like you're a cheating wife in saudi arabia.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #254050

so I guess this is just dead? it was a pretty fun idea, so it's kinda sad it went nowhere after sprites were done
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #254068

Armhulen wrote:so I guess this is just dead? it was a pretty fun idea, so it's kinda sad it went nowhere after sprites were done
Really makes you think
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #254090

We already have this with people tripping over beepsky. I don't see this being worth the effort.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #254188

Cute story. I'd add it.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #254191

it was weird, we had sprites, someone willing to code this and then it fantastic fwoosh'd off the side of the earth
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #259774