Steal Goon Combat

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Weepo
Byond Username: Weepo

Steal Goon Combat

Post by Weepo » #245389

Goon combat is very cool and good, its one of the few features they have over TGstation that really shines. The main and big difference is that every spaceboy has a stamina bar, its not visible or anything but it matters a lot for the purpose of fights since it takes away the whole dancing lightspeed spacemen desperately clicking for the rng disarm that knocks one over.

Now I'm not 100% of the mechanics but essentially everyone has default 200 stamina, it regenerates at10 per tick and goes away when you get decked in the face / run around like a kenyan. These numbers are all super mutable though, being hungry, sedated or whatnot can sap the stamina out of you, chugging coffee and meth and pounding stims can make it go up. You only pass out when your stamina goes to 0 or negatives, meaning that somone just landing a chokehold or putting you into crit is no longer INSTANT DEATH since you've got a stamina buffer that needs to run out before you're properly helpless. that said going into crit or getting choked drains your stamina rudely, you can compensate but you're probably gonna pass out.

Goon spacemen are also less fragile than tg spacemen, meaning that unless you have a pretty lethal weapon, fighting isn't about who gets the drop on who with a fire extinguisher or whatever. On tg you can kill with a few open handed punches to the face where beating someone to death with your fists on goon is a grueling ordeal even if you somehow can stop them fighting back. Every punch and blow you take drains your stamina some though, so you can lock it in fairly simply unless they're a robust gent prepared for fights and have been pounding meth in which case Kickasso the methed up party clown is going to kick you in the dick with a floppy shoe and flip up off the floor to vertical like a pissed off jedi.

Its a pretty intense system and I think it'd be worth ripping off wholesale since currently equal footing fights seem to be instantly lethal rng decided bullshit.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Re: Steal Goon Combat

Post by calzilla1 » #245402

How bout no! Their cargo system on the other hand
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #245407

No. Not fitting.
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #245421

Poop when
Weepo
Byond Username: Weepo

Post by Weepo » #245431

kevinz000 wrote:No. Not fitting.
wew lad
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #245435

Weepo wrote:
kevinz000 wrote:No. Not fitting.
wew lad
I dunno Il look at it later lmao
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #245437

Farts when?
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #245441

our combat is fine the way it is
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #245442

pretty soon we'll have ambient sounds

i shouldn't be able to hear your heart beat while your in engineering and im in the armory.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #245483

Personally I find it a pretty compelling pitch. Would have to try goon combat out firsthand to actually have a strong opinion on subject, but it certainly sounds like an improvement.

Obviously would entail alot of effort to implement & rebalance things accordingly, though
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #245486

I do agree that the turbo-drag/dance rng clickfests that combat often becomes is pretty awful. Same applies to our mass of ranged 1-hit stuns. Before we go doing something like this though, I'd like to see the whole system mapped out and tested against our player expectations and interactions with the items/tools/conditions we have in our own codebase for how it and they would influence combat as a whole.

Also, while I like the idea of a limited ability to sprint about, what will more likely happen is players will get frustrated with how slow and annoying it is to move from one side of the station to the other. Basic travel shouldn't be annoying or sluggish. (perhaps we could use this to make the scooters/segways/skateboards useful by saving stamina or something.) The primary consideration for any change should always be if the thing is going to be more annoying than it is fun, nix it.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #245511

Weepo wrote:The main and big difference is that every spaceboy has a stamina bar, its not visible or anything
It is visible.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #245524

muh roleplaying spaceman game is not supposed to have complex combat systems.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #245531

why can we test merge shit like tesla but we cant test merge this?
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #245534

because it doesn't exist
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #245586

Beating someone to death, depending on your talent and luck, could be as easy as one punch to the jaw knocking to the floor and one kick to the head damaging their brain.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #245617

Remember when we ran a goon server after the leak and how literally nobody played it

Hmm
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #245620

:activating almonds:
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #245621

Remember when Goon ran a goon server prior to the leak and how literally nobody played it

Hmm
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #245625

I do agree that our combat system is hot garbage and could use an improvement. And as much as I like Goon's design, I think such a large change to the core component of combat would require immense changes to the game as a whole. I really think we need something better, such as pixel movement and sprite-based melee combat, but straight-up porting Goon's combat would be too jarring overall, I think.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #245631

Kor wrote:Remember when Goon ran a goon server prior to the leak and how literally nobody played it

Hmm
The almonds are roasted
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #246990

nobody plays on servers that only 1 player is playing on
Hikurac
Byond Username: Yezinka

Post by Hikurac » #247024

As someone who plays on both goon and tg regularly, I just wanted to make it known that a lot of this has to do with weapon damages. In my experience, and from what I've seen in damage values, items on goon are weaker than their tg counterparts. That, combined with goons health system, means you can be stabbing someone in the face for a good while before they finally drop dead. It can be a bit annoying, especially as an antag. Goon's long TTK was also designed for a codebase that puts more emphasis on extensive adventures and PvE gameplay.

Also, I find it funny that people are claiming that goon's combat is overly complex, because they think the same of other codebases' combat as well. For example, they don't allow players to target eyes, mouths, or smaller body parts like that. They actually had it implemented, but it was removed. No idea why either, as striking each body part came with it's pros and cons.

On a side note, there's no issue with the stamina system causing travel to be slow. In fact, it's quite the opposite, because goon allows you to sprint.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #247032

*insert rant about 1 hit stuns*

But I already did that before, so I don't see a point in repeating it.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.