The Best Gravgen Idea Ever

A place to record your ideas for the game.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

The Best Gravgen Idea Ever

Post by AnonymousNow » #252037

Alright, I don't know if you can currently E-mag the gravity generator, but if you can, whatever it can do is not awesome enough to warrant hanging around after this, the best of suggestions.

Gravity in space. Stupid, right? Most logical artificial gravity systems work using centrimumble force, which involves gravity being simulated on the inner surface of a rotating body, usually something like a cylinder or sometimes isolated pods on the sides of rods. But many science fiction gravity systems are based on the logical orientation of "down" in a ship/station, including our own - powered by the gravity generator, a mysterious bluespace device that somehow pulls everyone in the right direction.

You may already see where I'm going with this.

We see Space Station 13 in a sort of top-down/isometric view. But what if you had to control it like a platformer? Someone E-mags the gravity generator, and suddenly the gravgen thinks that the floor is aft. The game looks no different, except everything that isn't anchored is suddenly yanked down towards what we'd see as the bottom of rooms - and worse, it has a tendency to change to one of the three other ends of the station.

Maybe movement controls change a little during this time. You can slowly climb up walls (including the "floor", since that's now a wall, too), but not windows; you can jump one tile into the air. Otherwise, you're at the mercy of gravity. Water and other liquids pool around and fill tiles at the bottom of rooms. People in flight suits and jetpacks are laughing, as are medical cyborgs. Otherwise, you've got to claw your way up to the gravity generator to reset it, unless the AI is kind enough to do that for you.

And, cruelly, sometimes the gravity generator likes to put everyone on the ceiling. Depending on how the station feels, this could flip the sprites and directional controls of everyone, or it could flip the actual station itself. Open containers get tipped, people have to reach up to use the consoles, cats & dogs living together... beautiful chaos.

So, best idea or best idea?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: The Best Gravgen Idea Ever

Post by D&B » #252070

Sounds fun but how would it be possible to code?
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #252076

D&B wrote:Sounds fun but how would it be possible to code?
DO I LOOK LIKE A CODER
I'M AN IDEA MAN
THE PARAGON OF IDEAMEN
I HAVE THE BEST IDEAS, ABSOLUTELY JUST THE BEST, REALLY GOOD, THE BEST
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #252079

Most logical artificial gravity systems work using centrimumble force.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #252103

fuck you all i'm coding a part of this as a joke pr no one can stop me MWAFUCKHAHAHAHA!!!
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #252108

AnonymousNow wrote:Alright, I don't know if you can currently E-mag the gravity generator, but if you can, whatever it can do is not awesome enough to warrant hanging around after this, the best of suggestions.

Gravity in space. Stupid, right? Most logical artificial gravity systems work using centrimumble force, which involves gravity being simulated on the inner surface of a rotating body, usually something like a cylinder or sometimes isolated pods on the sides of rods. But many science fiction gravity systems are based on the logical orientation of "down" in a ship/station, including our own - powered by the gravity generator, a mysterious bluespace device that somehow pulls everyone in the right direction.

We see Space Station 13 in a sort of top-down/isometric view. But what if you had to control it like a platformer? Someone E-mags the gravity generator, and suddenly the gravgen thinks that the floor is aft. The game looks no different, except everything that isn't anchored is suddenly yanked down towards what we'd see as the bottom of rooms - and worse, it has a tendency to change to one of the three other ends of the station.

Maybe movement controls change a little during this time. You can slowly climb up walls (including the "floor", since that's now a wall, too), but not windows; you can jump one tile into the air. Otherwise, you're at the mercy of gravity. Water and other liquids pool around and fill tiles at the bottom of rooms. People in flight suits and jetpacks are laughing, as are medical cyborgs. Otherwise, you've got to claw your way up to the gravity generator to reset it, unless the AI is kind enough to do that for you.

And, cruelly, sometimes the gravity generator likes to put everyone on the ceiling. Depending on how the station feels, this could flip the sprites and directional controls of everyone, or it could flip the actual station itself. Open containers get tipped, people have to reach up to use the consoles, cats & dogs living together... beautiful chaos.

I can also more or less legitimately implement this if people want.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #252113

legitimately implement this you beautiful bastard

but don't make it resetable by the ai, please
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #252164

Entirely doable, Byond has had some p.decent sidescroller prototypes built on it, all you have to do is add some kind of loop to the person to force them in the direction of "gravity" and give them some kind of button that (forcibly)steps them in the opposite direction of "gravity"
私は完璧
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #252178

Remie Richards wrote:Entirely doable, Byond has had some p.decent sidescroller prototypes built on it, all you have to do is add some kind of loop to the person to force them in the direction of "gravity" and give them some kind of button that (forcibly)steps them in the opposite direction of "gravity"
I was thinking of making space drift subsystem switching to a mode where it fires 4 times a second and moves everything in one direction unless it's lagging in which case it'll be slower but yeah.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #252179

kevinz000 wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:Entirely doable, Byond has had some p.decent sidescroller prototypes built on it, all you have to do is add some kind of loop to the person to force them in the direction of "gravity" and give them some kind of button that (forcibly)steps them in the opposite direction of "gravity"
I was thinking of making space drift subsystem switching to a mode where it fires 4 times a second and moves everything in one direction unless it's lagging in which case it'll be slower but yeah.
Very close in concept, yes.
私は完璧
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #252185

I'm more worried about the lag. It can't be that healthy for the server to move every movable object even once per second.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #252210

AnonymousNow wrote:
DO I LOOK LIKE A CODER
I'M AN IDEA MAN
THE PARAGON OF IDEAMEN
finally someone who understands

neat idea though
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #252244

John_Oxford wrote:
AnonymousNow wrote:
DO I LOOK LIKE A CODER
I'M AN IDEA MAN
THE PARAGON OF IDEAMEN
finally someone who understands

neat idea though
Only his ideas aren't 3 pages and impossible to properly implement.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #252245

I want 2d platformer spacemens
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #252249

kevinz000 wrote:
AnonymousNow wrote:Alright, I don't know if you can currently E-mag the gravity generator, but if you can, whatever it can do is not awesome enough to warrant hanging around after this, the best of suggestions.

I can also more or less legitimately implement this if people want.
>all mobs and items pushed "down" on the map
>everyone is now in the engineering hallway/singulo with no way to get out
>?????
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #252294

kevinz000 wrote:I can also more or less legitimately implement this if people want.
Yes, please. I was being comically brusque, but I genuinely think that this would be an enjoyable idea.
cedarbridge wrote:>all mobs and items pushed "down" on the map
>everyone is now in the engineering hallway/singulo with no way to get out
>?????
Like I said, you can slowly climb walls - including the floor of the corridor itself, which is now the back wall. It'd be something that spessmen always had the power to do, but never the inclination or need, because the station is pretty flat. Perhaps it'd be something as simple as dragging yourself onto the tile above you, like you're moving over seperate tables.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Weepo
Byond Username: Weepo

Post by Weepo » #252463

this is actually the worst idea

you have my support
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #252531

Implement fall damage
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Sweets
Byond Username: Reondin

Post by Sweets » #252545

Make emagging grav gen make everyone constantly rotate really really slowly.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #252630

calzilla1 wrote:Implement fall damage
>be me
>captain
>in bridge
>someone turns on 2d spacemen
>three officers fly down the brig hallway and splat on my window

yessssssssssssssss?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #252650

They're gonna reach terminal velocity, crack through the windows, and gib on the AI upload walls.
"AI, remove all upload protection, it causes human harm."
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #252674

Fall damage is a thing to think about. We've got two parallels right now - brute from lube slipping, and chasms. Maybe just a small brute cap?

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #252791

AnonymousNow wrote:Fall damage is a thing to think about. We've got two parallels right now - brute from lube slipping, and chasms. Maybe just a small brute cap?
g i b
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #252819

Armhulen wrote:
AnonymousNow wrote:Fall damage is a thing to think about. We've got two parallels right now - brute from lube slipping, and chasms. Maybe just a small brute cap?
g i b
There should be an admin only regant that us like lube but when you fall you take 200 brute and die and if you hit a wall you get gibbed instantly
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #252836

calzilla1 wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
g i b
There should be an admin only regant that us like lube but when you fall you take 200 brute and die and if you hit a wall you get gibbed instantly
just into crit. KEEP THE GIB!
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #252860

Basic code is done all I need to do is make some way to make it not lag to shit as it's moving every movable atom that isn't anchored 10times per second which will lag even though I haven't tested yet.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #252989

kevinz000 wrote:Basic code is done all I need to do is make some way to make it not lag to shit as it's moving every movable atom that isn't anchored 10times per second which will lag even though I haven't tested yet.
Awesome. Just need ideas to conquer the lag.

I'm no coder, so my ideas will be poor, but... what about some sort of false spacewind system only for gravity fuckery?

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #252991

AnonymousNow wrote:
kevinz000 wrote:Basic code is done all I need to do is make some way to make it not lag to shit as it's moving every movable atom that isn't anchored 10times per second which will lag even though I haven't tested yet.
Awesome. Just need ideas to conquer the lag.

I'm no coder, so my ideas will be poor, but... what about some sort of false spacewind system only for gravity fuckery?
That is the thing I made yeah it calculates all movable atoms that aren't anchored and moves them with spare processing time. As in it doesn't lag the server and only runs on spare time, it's priority is even lower than Atmos.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #253049

kevinz000 wrote: That is the thing I made yeah it calculates all movable atoms that aren't anchored and moves them with spare processing time. As in it doesn't lag the server and only runs on spare time, it's priority is even lower than Atmos.
Rad.

I am so looking forward to seeing this in action. But what about people in flightsuits/hovering mediborgs being immune? And climbing? Are those viable?

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #253064

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #253065

AnonymousNow wrote:
kevinz000 wrote: That is the thing I made yeah it calculates all movable atoms that aren't anchored and moves them with spare processing time. As in it doesn't lag the server and only runs on spare time, it's priority is even lower than Atmos.
Rad.

I am so looking forward to seeing this in action. But what about people in flightsuits/hovering mediborgs being immune? And climbing? Are those viable?
they're viable and i can make a gravity_act() proc if I so have to, the main problem is making it 1. balanced 2. not lag to shit and be a huge overhead on the server to the point where it's not worth having.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #253069

I presume this doesn't interact with anchored machines or consoles.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #253070

cedarbridge wrote:I presume this doesn't interact with anchored machines or consoles.
won't move them.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #253091

update: somehow, on boxstation roundstart local testing (no players), this lags less than two people using the trainwreck using the flightsuits in terms of server impact.
so, this basically doesn't lag at all from what I'm seeing, atleast for now before I've made it better and more grand.
cross lag off your checklist for now.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #253186

kevinz000 wrote:~
Great to hear it.

By the way, I just want to say that I really appreciate you coding this feature. I think it'll be fun once(/if, assuming no issues) implemented.

I want to give you the impression that I'm still anticipating this without bugging you about it too much, so don't take silence as a lack of interest, please.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #255173

I'd like to reiterate my interest.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #255368

I'm nearly done with the procs that blanket move all items and crap, so IF YOU HAVE CONCERNS
SPEAK NOW OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE.
Or you can speak on the github but if you don't and start whining in OOC you really won't be listened to as well as when I'm actually doing the part where I could take feedback.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #257222

A quick demonstration.
Nearing completeness, just need to get the bugs out and get mob interaction working.
https://gyazo.com/dc1bd9d66a58b566afd3fa2b5d74e753