Ling Ops

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Ling Ops

Post by Dagdammit » #253837

Kor's recent posts in shadowling thread about conversion antags's weaknesses (struggling to match the potential for creativity and variety seen in other game modes) left me thinking: The most distinct mode might be Nuke Ops, and that's a shame. It could be cool to see other Ops modes that shared some of Nuke Ops' most distinct characteristics:
  • Antags work together as team to accomplish challenging goals.
  • At roundstart, antags spawn in a safe location where they can form plans and choose their tools accordingly, then journey to the station once they're ready.
  • A critical drawback is that antags are not disguised amongst the regular crew. Blending in amongst crew members and pulling their objectives off covertly from start to finish is still theoretically possible, but in practice an unusual & impressive achievement. Things will often degenerate into carnage, and teams can opt for a pure brute force approach or mix between the two.
So for starters, how about Ling Ops?
-Start round with fleshy skeleton resprites as your only form, immediately recognizable in same fashion as blood red hardsuits. Literally no equipment, not even headsets.
-During prep phase, powers can be bought at half price. (Respeccing later will only give back the amount of points spent.)
-After prep, you enter station z-level from direction of your choice. Skeletal form (inherently spaceworthy thanks to skeleton species) has organic jetpack that drains chemicals and leaves long-lasting green trails.
-New forms can only be acquired via absorption. If available, Hive Channel may require physical proximity in order to share acquired forms, may be clearly inhuman process (both ling ops might basically go horror form for a minute).
-Ling Ops should prooooobably always have icons marking teammates on their HUD, probably different icon per individual teammate. Purple "E" for Mr. Epsilon, etc.

Possible Goals:
-Have a shared total of at least (4 per Ling Op) absorptions amongst team members who escape alive on the shuttle.
-Escape on shuttle with forms+IDs of heads.
-Escape on shuttle with forms+IDs of staff in (department), including John Doe the (head).
-Escape on shuttle with the form & ID of a Marked target. (Alternate term for Marked: "Delicious")
--Ling Ops start the round knowing the DNA strings (but not the names) of 1 marked target per Ling Op, mainly useful if someone can get access to medical records.
--Aside from the known Marked targets, remainder of crew 1 in 10 will be Marked.
--Ling Ops get undetectable "taste blood" stings which tell them if a target is Marked & if so flags them for all ling ops on their HUD.
--Absorptions also have a special message when victim was marked.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Re: Ling Ops

Post by ShadowDimentio » #253849

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Ling needs to be removed, not combined with another, perfectly good mode to ruin it.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #253850

ShadowDimentio wrote:NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Ling needs to be removed, not combined with another, perfectly good mode to ruin it.
Those rounds where three changelings work together to murderbone the whole station? HAVE FUN WITH FOUR OF THEM FUCKBOY
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #253854

teamling sucked, we had it briefly
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #253855

Instinct says that a new roundtype based on antagonists working together and doing something interesting involving off-station fuckery sounds neat.

Practice knows that regular murderboning is bad enough, and fucking frequent. Changelings still have the ability to grab people and make them vanish from the round forever, which is pretty much the worst thing about this game.

We should get something like Team Abductor instead. Part capture, part conversion, with off-stage intrigue.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #253856

I couldn't care less about getting removed from the round so long as it's got some semblance of fair, or better yet fun. Four lings with selfchat coordinating with nuker guns, stun immunity, regeneration and literally reviving from death at full health isn't fair.

And even if that's not what this is that's what ling is and ling needs to be incinerated as a roundtype.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #253871

I don't have much comment on what powers should be like, how they should change, etc. Too hard to make that call without testing honestly.

But I think it's worth emphasizing that they would start with literally nothing in terms of equipment- no headsets, no ID cards... nor would they have any kind of form at roundstart beyond the spaceworthy jetpack one that immediately warns crew what they're up against. Getting that initial foothold on the station without raising seven kinds of hell WOULD be difficult, even with teamwork, thermals and a screech that knocks out headsets.

Other shit you could do:
-Possibly cannot shift back into roundstart form after becoming something else.

-Significant downsides to being in a form that isn't one of your targets.
--Could constantly drain chems at slow rate rather than gaining them.
--Could be unable to use most ling powers.
--Could only be able to wear that form once, for a maximum of 10 minutes or so, after which you revert to a weakened walking husk form.

-No flesh clothing and the like. You have to gather materials for disguises by hand, and going horror form wrecks your possessions as if you'd been gibbed. When naked, your whole waist+torso remains clearly inhuman regardless of form.
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #253872

No.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #253874

Somebody smoked too many marijuanas
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #253877

Alternately: surplus crate ling ops. Random set of powers at roundstart, team must plan accordingly. If you absorb enough victims to respec, selling roundstart powers only earns about half their normal refund value.
Weepo
Byond Username: Weepo

Post by Weepo » #253916

I know the motive behind this is: Recycle code but make new gamemode.

I'd love to see a nuke type gamemode but instead of nuke ops its Ayys with crazy alien equipment, robotic exosuits, plasma rifles, weird bio weapons, basically xcom nuke ops
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #253920

A Nanotrasen false flag operation.

A team of NT Spec Forces are ordered to destroy Space Station 13 for various political reasons, the team is dispatched using NT technology.

----

On topic but it seems like you'll be going to a lot of effort for a minor reskin of a current game mode.
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #253923

...Christ, every single person in this thread assumes I meant changelings with a full nuke ops armory, huh? No one bothered to read the part where I said they'd have no equipment?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #253925

Reading is for nerds.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #253930

Weepo wrote:I know the motive behind this is: Recycle code but make new gamemode.

I'd love to see a nuke type gamemode but instead of nuke ops its Ayys with crazy alien equipment, robotic exosuits, plasma rifles, weird bio weapons, basically xcom nuke ops
Now this i could get behind, i wanted to make new abductor equipment and stuff. I got started with the tools but i see them so rarely that it felt like a waste of time to continue.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #253943

This actually sounds pretty cool. 4 lings may be too much tho.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #253944

Steelpoint wrote:A Nanotrasen false flag operation.

A team of NT Spec Forces are ordered to destroy Space Station 13 for various political reasons, the team is dispatched using NT technology.

----

On topic but it seems like you'll be going to a lot of effort for a minor reskin of a current game mode.
Now this sounds fucking cool. We should have randomized nuke op themes, dancing from the syndicate to the fly lives matter group in their large vessel they call 'the buzzcut' while they fire bee cannons
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #253946

why not have gimmick shipments people can buy that scale price with the amount of awwwps?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #254122

TrustyGun wrote:This actually sounds pretty cool. 4 lings may be too much tho.
From a balance standpoint, agreed. Makes it tricky to not give them too much power.

At the same time, I feel like you lose something if it's less than 3-4 people.
ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:why not have gimmick shipments people can buy that scale price with the amount of awwwps?
Shipments of what? Bought by whom?
Weepo
Byond Username: Weepo

Post by Weepo » #254341

Dagdammit wrote:...Christ, every single person in this thread assumes I meant changelings with a full nuke ops armory, huh? No one bothered to read the part where I said they'd have no equipment?
I got what you mean, trick is even four regular lings without any special equipment could easily bring the station to its knees. Additionally, there'd be no incentive for loudness unless they had a heavily modified power set at which point, why bother making them 'lings' in the first place?
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #254345

just make a mode that smashes an asteroid full of xenos into the station

edit: klendathu ops where you gotta feed someone's brain to the brain bug