How can we make Revolution rounds actually interesting?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

How can we make Revolution rounds actually interesting?

Post by Dr_bee » #255084

Rev rounds always seem to follow a pattern. The few security officers that at roundstart are killed before they know what hit them, and then the crew has to break into the brig to get at the powerless, turtleing surviving heads of staff. OR security was staffed well at roundstart, they go full gestapo and murder/implant any rev they find and everyone complains about how security is turbohitler.

There doesnt seem to be much variation, I think in the last 4 months or so I have only had one rev round that was actually an interesting back and forth between the revs and loyalists, the mode is basically a shitty version of team deathmatch in a game that really doesnt do team deathmatch well.

So, how do we make rev an interesting and unique game mode without turning it into cult-but-no-magic?

I have a few ideas and I hope other people can come up with better ideas.

:wetfloorsign: Idea Number 1: Time Limit :wetfloorsign:
Basically Nanotrasen has had enough of your shit and after a certain amount of time sends a death-squad to fucking murder EVERYONE, heads included. This would serve two purposes: It would discourage turtle tactics by the heads and provide a nice mix-up to prevent stalemates. When the death-squad comes, the revs and the heads both get objectives to fight them off, but they still can lose if the revheads or heads of staff die. If somehow the death-squaddies die, the killers get powerful tools to help end the round.

:wetfloorsign: Idea number 2: Limited Revs :wetfloorsign:
This idea runs the risk of making rev too much like cult, but hear me out.

the revheads only have a limited amount of converts, but the converts cannot be de-converted. Implants will protect from conversion but do nothing against already converted revolutionaries. The reasoning behind this change is to slow down the pace of the round a bit. Revheads will want to pick and choose who they convert instead of running around 1 minute into the round flashing everyone. Actual strategy may get used instead of using zerg tactics, as a revhead can choose to convert an entire department or maybe plant a revolutionary in every department. It would also give a decent way to balance the amount of revs vs the amount of security, as the amount of converts can be tied to the number of security present at round-start.

Anyway, that is my rambling suggestions to maybe make a mode not suck so much, If you have any ideas please post them, I hope that by putting our heads together we can come up with something interesting.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: How can we make Revolution rounds actually interesting?

Post by cedarbridge » #255089

Dr_bee wrote: :wetfloorsign: Idea Number 1: Time Limit :wetfloorsign:
Basically Nanotrasen has had enough of your shit and after a certain amount of time sends a death-squad to fucking murder EVERYONE, heads included. This would serve two purposes: It would discourage turtle tactics by the heads and provide a nice mix-up to prevent stalemates. When the death-squad comes, the revs and the heads both get objectives to fight them off, but they still can lose if the revheads or heads of staff die. If somehow the death-squaddies die, the killers get powerful tools to help end the round.
1) Why bother giving the heads/revheads an objective to fight the DS if the round still ends if either group dies? There's no incentive to cooperate because I can just as easily kill the dope baited into "Team up to fight the DS guise."
2) Just turns into "ghosts pick who wins" which is kinda dumb.
3)Why would a DS be sent to kill command staff on a station already being overrun by hostile crew? DS are designed to make entities hostile to NT go away, not to aid hostile forces in overthrowing them.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #255092

Rev is fine
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #255093

D&B wrote:Rev is fine
Yup. It's a good palette cleanser.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #255100

3)Why would a DS be sent to kill command staff on a station already being overrun by hostile crew? DS are designed to make entities hostile to NT go away, not to aid hostile forces in overthrowing them.
Primarily because if the heads dont stop the revolution by the time the timer goes down it would mean that they are failures, and nanotrasen does not tolerate failure lightly. so basically, they kill everyone, repair the station, and restaff it after cleaning the bodies.

The point of the time limit Deathsquad would be to encourage offensive tactics rather than purely defensive ones by the heads of staff.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #255106

Dr_bee wrote: the revheads only have a limited amount of converts, but the converts cannot be de-converted. Implants will protect from conversion but do nothing against already converted revolutionaries.
This forces 2 things.

1) people to participate in rev since they no longer can just hold out and wait for the other guys to do the work while they tend their medbay [every convert is now crucial]
2) people to just kill off revs, which is LAME
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #255113

Make revs only able to recognise the revheads and any revs that were converted by the same revhead who converted them. Revs converted by different revheads can't recognise one another.

Incentivises revheads to lead their respective mobs and/or find some method of identifying/communicating one another between different groups. Makes rev a little less lopsided in my opinion.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #255122

Anonmare wrote:Make revs only able to recognise the revheads and any revs that were converted by the same revhead who converted them. Revs converted by different revheads can't recognise one another.

Incentivises revheads to lead their respective mobs and/or find some method of identifying/communicating one another between different groups. Makes rev a little less lopsided in my opinion.
Would be a welcome change from the current meta of "revhead flashes everyone and then walls himself into maint and AFKs.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #255126

Good thing we have a system where the round will reset if you press a button and wait ten minutes.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #255129

ShadowDimentio wrote:Good thing we have a system where the round will reset if you press a button and wait ten minutes.
A system that is turned of specifically for rev rounds.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #255131

Why must everything be changed when it works well enough.

Rev is great in its current state because it lets people blow off steam. Nothing better than ramping up with your sec squad and going toe to toe in the middle of a cell against a greyshit in the middle of a cell. Or having to sneak around to get implanted by the heads before the revs find you and flash you.

I'll admit I feel more paranoia in rev rounds when you don't know who to trust than in other gamemodes.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #255134

D&B wrote:Why must everything be changed when it works well enough.

Rev is great in its current state because it lets people blow off steam. Nothing better than ramping up with your sec squad and going toe to toe in the middle of a cell against a greyshit in the middle of a cell. Or having to sneak around to get implanted by the heads before the revs find you and flash you.

I'll admit I feel more paranoia in rev rounds when you don't know who to trust than in other gamemodes.
the problem is a large portion of these rounds are lopsided, either there are no security and the revs steamroll, or there is security and there is a fighting chance for the heads. and because security has such a high turnover of players it is more often no security.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #255170

I've had some thoughts on this subject for some time.

1) Introduce Station Victories, Minor Revolution Victories, and Major Revolution Victories.

It's simple - if all heads of staff survive as the revheads die off, it's a Station Victory, as normal. If all heads of staff die as the revheads survive, it's now a Minor Revolution Victory.

If all heads of staff are marooned, alive, on a different Z-level (which is something revcode already tracks), then it counts as a Major Revolution Victory.

It encourages rev coordination and a more interesting dynamic between the two factions whilst changing pretty much nothing mechanically. If you're still a boring murderboning shit and the idea of rev changing makes you screech autistically, then this means that you don't have to play any differently. You shitgibbon.

This suggestion can work alongside the next.

2) Divide revolutionaries into seperate factions depending on which revhead (the de facto head of that faction, but still rev-aligned no matter what) converts them; one faction will focus on killing the heads, whilst others want to maroon them.

This change would work best as a rev variant gamemode in the game as well as, not instead of, the original rev gamemode. It would encourage a paranoia-laden mix of infighting and tentative co-operation.

----------

Revs tend to steamroll because there's enough people independently murderboning anyone who isn't a rev. Revs tend to get steamrolled because they lack the skill individually to get away with not coordinating. 1), in particular, addresses that directly.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #255195

Revolution is usually interesting. Every type of gamemode has it's good and bad rounds. Revolution does not need to have changes to conversion. It does not need minor or major victories. This is one of those things that should not be changed for the sake of change because the gamemode is fine as it is- a 30 minute to 1 hour murderfest. If the heads of staff hide, admin intervention usually occurs.

If anything, most of the issues listed are player issues, such as incompetent/nonexistent security or incompetent rev heads. These can be fixed by waiting for the new players to git gud. And adding an incentive to play security for the good/experienced players. Don't ask me what that incentive would be, I do it for fun.

Edit: Anon, how is doing your objectives murderboning? Killing heads of staff is your objective, killing implanted personnel and security goes along with that. It's like saying anyone who has hijack and murderbones is terrible. Of course they murderbone, it's their objective. Additionally, security is not expected to exile the revolutionaries. They can, but it's easier to kill and locker the bodies to deny any chance of escape/cloning. The rev objectives are fine as is.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #255210

BeeSting12 wrote:Edit: Anon, how is doing your objectives murderboning?
Killing security makes sense. Killing the heads of staff makes sense.

Breaking into peoples' departments to kill them, when they're nothing to do with the heads? CMO's dead elsewhere, and I'm not a revhead, so let's go VALID the doctors in medbay! I think the virologist is still alive, so I'm going to hack all these wires here and... but it's valid, because I'm an antagonist! Yep, I'm so sick of that.

I still think that Major/Minor victories will encourage a minor, but positive change in the mentality of revs, without encroaching on peoples' alarming need for bloodbloodblood.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #255214

BeeSting12 wrote:Edit: Anon, how is doing your objectives murderboning? Killing heads of staff is your objective, killing implanted personnel and security goes along with that. It's like saying anyone who has hijack and murderbones is terrible. Of course they murderbone, it's their objective. Additionally, security is not expected to exile the revolutionaries. They can, but it's easier to kill and locker the bodies to deny any chance of escape/cloning. The rev objectives are fine as is.
>Objectives
>go dunk the heads gogogovivagogo
>immediately murders anyone without an R next to their name

Happens every round. Textbook murderboning. Just about as bad as cult who spends their starting paper on robe and sword and runs into the hall with it.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #255252

The fact that revolution is so simple in concept is a big part of it's power in my opinion.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #255254

i still like the idea of punishing hiding heads/revheads, but I don't know how to go about that.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #255552

Rev rounds are fine for the round start crew. After awhile you end up with most of the station impanted or converted, or even better half and half. The people it sucks for are the late joins who get murderboned by the revs before they even know what's going on
--Crocodillo

BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #255741

AnonymousNow wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:snip
Killing security makes sense. Killing the heads of staff makes sense.

Breaking into peoples' departments to kill them, when they're nothing to do with the heads? CMO's dead elsewhere, and I'm not a revhead, so let's go VALID the doctors in medbay! I think the virologist is still alive, so I'm going to hack all these wires here and... but it's valid, because I'm an antagonist! Yep, I'm so sick of that.

I still think that Major/Minor victories will encourage a minor, but positive change in the mentality of revs, without encroaching on peoples' alarming need for bloodbloodblood.
Not everyone does that. Major and minor victories wouldn't change the player mindset about killing. It certainly doesn't affect hacking into viro and murdering the virologist. Which, by the way, is retarded. Who even does that? Revs might kill unimplanted nonrevs because the nonrevs try to stop the revs, which is justified.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #255743

Didn't read this thread; rev is fine
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #255830

Make sec and rev automatons spawn automatically in huge numbers. Sec automatons attack everyone non-implanted, rev automatons attack everyone implanted, and they both attack each other. Also make wooden barricades and shit like that spawn. For atmosphere.
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #255833

Remove the mode it's impossible.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #255847

Gangmode points system worked fairly well, giving rev heads an uplink/device that they can buy equipment. If 1 convert is 1 tc, and someone getting deconverted loses the revs 1 tc, it'd prevent cheesing the system. For 20-30tc the rev heads can call in a syndicate ERT (basically nukes randomly armed with SMGs, Shotguns and maybe an LMG and some extra ammo and C4 to go around) to help the final push if a round goes that long.

Ultimately though, I'll say Rev is a decent mode that is a good palette cleanser as long as nobody takes it too seriously. The only real change needed is stalemate breakers where Sec/Heads refuse to act if they don't feel they have an advantage, and revs generally don't have enough coordination or gear to attack a lockdowned brig.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #255848

Not nukies, syndicates have their own ERT suits.

also it's "palate"
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #255853

Change food system so that people can die of hunger, that way revs can besiege the brig and just try to starve sec out.
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #255892

DemonFiren wrote:Not nukies, syndicates have their own ERT suits.

also it's "palate"
Basically nukies. Syndicate Hardsuit and ERT suit have comparable values as is, and the Elite Syndisuit is basically just a black ERT suit.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #255895

Yes, but muh aesthetics.
Nukesuit should be reserved for syndie deaf squids.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #255896

DemonFiren wrote:Yes, but muh aesthetics.
Nukesuit should be reserved for syndie deaf squids.
Tators can already by bloodred suits, thats half the basis for the mempack pr.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #255898

This is related to rev rounds, how?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: