Port the RUS-T from /VG/

A place to record your ideas for the game.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Port the RUS-T from /VG/

Post by kevinz000 » #258005

Basically, a fusion engine that is dangerous as fuck and tedious as fuck to maintain, but if maintained correctly, lets you get massive amounts of power.
the only problem is i have no idea how it works because i havn't found a single wiki entry on how it works.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Re: Port the RUS-T from /VG/

Post by Remie Richards » #258007

kevinz000 wrote:if maintained correctly, lets you get massive amounts of power.
this is meaningless, power is essentially binary at this point, you have it or you don't.
私は完璧
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #258010

Remie Richards wrote:
this is meaningless, power is essentially binary at this point, you have it or you don't.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #258013

Kor wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:
Fuck, I guess I shouldn't of abandoned porting the power transmission laser..?
christ110
Byond Username: Christ110

Post by christ110 » #258017

Yeah, bring back the PTL and this. Also give engineering a small aux engine room specifically for sm/rust engines.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #258063

No more engines tbh, we have plenty
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #258077

We need an entire power refactor before thinking about a new engine(so it actually matters instead of being have/not have power).
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #258367

Right now the only effect power production has is how fast the SMES fill. Even that's trivial with how much power the tesla puts out.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #258520

Eh yeah this is all true.
Wish we had something to put excess power into...
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #258521

Death ray coming when?
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #258525

ShadowDimentio wrote:Death ray coming when?
Get me 6x3 directional sprites.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #258544

Perhaps we should brainstorm some power sinks first (the non-syndicate kind).
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #258551

engineering as a whole needs to be overhauled, probably mostly from scratch (barebones stuff like construction, engines can stay)

whole department is essentially deprecated at this point, essentially useless and almost worthless for survival in most rounds, when they should be as important as security in preventing everyone from dying a horrible death of decompression, overcompression, freezing to death, being blown out airlocks, running out of air, having too much air, repairing breaches, etc.

all of these activities are de facto useless in current ss13.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #258563

isntead replace the sigulo with a warp/chaos engine and when it fails it summons a bunch of hostile mobs or a bubblegum or something
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #258564

>Replace the singulo

Get the fuck out of this server. HERETIC!
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #258572

Cik wrote:engineering as a whole needs to be overhauled, probably mostly from scratch (barebones stuff like construction, engines can stay)

whole department is essentially deprecated at this point, essentially useless and almost worthless for survival in most rounds, when they should be as important as security in preventing everyone from dying a horrible death of decompression, overcompression, freezing to death, being blown out airlocks, running out of air, having too much air, repairing breaches, etc.

all of these activities are de facto useless in current ss13.
ZAS which isn't happening.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #258599

max power generated / total power generated stats would be fun
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #258614

Luke Cox wrote:Perhaps we should brainstorm some power sinks first (the non-syndicate kind).
I've suggested being able to alter SMES' to be able to function like a power sink. Like, cutting some wires to isolate a department, hook it up to a SMES you built in an out of the way area and set it to drain the APCs in a department dry.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #258615

ShadowDimentio wrote:>Replace the singulo

megafauna are basically the same as singulo but you can fight it so its more fun
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #258639

You can't turn an ash drake into fuel for the station you fool.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #258642

We need to improve the current power system here's a small idea that would help a lot

Console in the SMES room that displays current power draw from the power grid so you know how much power you need to be outputting, the amount of power outputting, the peak power draw for the shift, and the average power draw for the shift

Then make a bunch of machines like cryo tubes and microwaves and auto/protolathes and cloners and botanys gene machine take more significant amounts power when used so if engineering is outputting bare minimum power to meet the average and then somebody turns on a microwave while somebody is being cloned then bam brief short range power outage

Make it happen gamers
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #258646

ShadowDimentio wrote:You can't turn an ash drake into fuel for the station you fool.
heat power is a thing irl though?
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #258654

Stop insulting my codebase by calling it /VG/ you TG era ass mofo.
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #258728

Do we need more dangerous as fuck engines?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #258737

There is such a thing as a stupid question after all.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #258800

Lumbermancer wrote:Do we need more dangerous as fuck engines?
Not until what pk says or something else happens so we have somewhere for the power to go otherwise you just have millions of watts sitting there doing nothing.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #258819

Then why not low power, low threat, high maintenance. This way engineers have to do things or risk getting lynched. Without blowing up the station.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #258870

Lumbermancer wrote:Then why not low power, low threat, high maintenance. This way engineers have to do things or risk getting lynched. Without blowing up the station.
Tell that to the singularity...
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #258880

Lumbermancer wrote:Then why not low power, low threat, high maintenance. This way engineers have to do things or risk getting lynched. Without blowing up the station.
It's called solars. But seriously, would YOU enjoy being bound to tedious maintenance on the engine the entire shift? The current engines are fine we just need something to use all the energy for.

Idea: Laser Automated Defense System (LADS)

Attached to engineering, this marvel of science requires some work to put together and maintain, but once it's complete there are plenty of uses for it including destroying invasive ships, incoming asteroids, mining on lavaland, and destroying megafauna.

Warning: Emagging the system disengages the safeties that prevent it from firing on the station. Keep syndicates away!
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #259005

PKPenguin321 wrote: Then make a bunch of machines like cryo tubes and microwaves and auto/protolathes and cloners and botanys gene machine take more significant amounts power when used so if engineering is outputting bare minimum power to meet the average and then somebody turns on a microwave while somebody is being cloned then bam brief short range power outage

Make it happen gamers
This seems like the best approach to me. It seems a little silly that they're about as significant as lightbulbs in terms of how much power they require. Medical and Science especially should be gigantic power sinks, which could serve as a pretty major nerf to science too. Perhaps engineering could have a console that allows them to cut off power to individual departments until they can meet the demand, which could also make for some fun traitoring.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #259181

While I do like the R-UST engine it is basically just a complicated Super matter chamber to heat gas for the TEG.

http://ss13.moe/wiki/index.php/R-UST

In and of itself its a fine engine and decently fun to play with. But with set and forget engines like Singulo and Tesla in the game R-UST just doesn't have much of a place since it actually requires a fair bit of maintaining. And as already stated, making more than 300kW of power is pointless unless you're trying to overload the grid, which any of the other engines can already do.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #259242

ShadowDimentio wrote: would YOU enjoy being bound to tedious maintenance on the engine the entire shift?!
It could be as easy as pushing a button on the collector regularly.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #259255

Lumbermancer wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote: would YOU enjoy being bound to tedious maintenance on the engine the entire shift?!
It could be as easy as pushing a button on the collector regularly.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #259300

I still maintain the idea that porting the PTL would give engineers a use for creating and maintaining powerful engines. It's a laser that uses up all the unused extra energy that engineering creates, and then beams it off station for credits depending on the amount sent. You could still expand this later on with ideas from this thread, like the ability to point the PTL away from the collector station and instead aim at an anti meteor satelite that needs large amounts of power to operate.

As for the engine, I want to point out that you will likely need to redo the current TEG in the code if you were to add this new engine. Our TEG has a lot of issues, like creating infinite amounts of energy using R&D heaters&freezers or breaking atmos occasionally.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #259301

There's nothing to do with credits.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #259306

Lumbermancer wrote:There's nothing to do with credits.
Can't you buy crates in cargo with credits? I'm sure cargo would be very interested in buying extra engine parts for engineering if they were getting extra points from their department.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #259324

But that's just spending credits to make credits.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #259339

Honestly I should of titled the thread how to make engineering not the most boring department next to medical. No offence if you disagree but these are my opinions. They need more features to be more fun.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #259360

Glad you're aware it's all opinion considering the fact that I find medical one of the more interesting departments

I'm a big fuckin' softie tho and I get my kicks from saving other people
Limey wrote:its too late.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #259363

Qbopper wrote:Glad you're aware it's all opinion considering the fact that I find medical one of the more interesting departments

Medical rework soon(tm)
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #259370

Qbopper wrote:Glad you're aware it's all opinion considering the fact that I find medical one of the more interesting departments

>push button
>magic healing chems come out
>most interesting
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #259372

Qbopper wrote:I'm a big fuckin' softie tho and I get my kicks from saving other people
[youtube]IdHTnpgpLDc[/youtube]
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
IcePacks
Byond Username: IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #259380

ShadowDimentio wrote:>Replace the singulo

the singulo has been shit for 90% of its lifespan

it literally and figuratively sucks
OOC: Deitus: tfw RL porn doesnt sexually excite me anymore
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #259392

the singulo is exactly like you, then
still iconic and shouldn't go

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #259396

DemonFiren wrote:the singulo is exactly like you, then
still iconic and shouldn't go
>unfun round derailing piece of shit
>its good and shouldnt be replaced because nostalgia!
i knew you were stupid but not this stupid
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #259407

i mean by that logic we might as well remove players

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #259421

H E L L F I R E
E N G I N E
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #259437

captain sawrge wrote:

>push button
>most interesting
did you not fucking read the "all opinion" part

Believe it or not I find medical interesting
Limey wrote:its too late.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #259439

DemonFiren wrote:i mean by that logic we might as well remove players
I'm only one man. I can do only so much.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #259533

Qbopper wrote:
captain sawrge wrote:

>push button
>most interesting
did you not fucking read the "all opinion" part

Believe it or not I find medical interesting
It isn't all opinion though, it's objectively shallow gameplay.
It's all fine and good if you enjoy it but that doesn't really excuse it.