Player spiders OP

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Player spiders OP

Post by Amnestik » #101902

What it says on the tin. They're fast, only take three or four hits to crit, and if they only get you once their venom will take care of the rest. If you don't have access to antitoxin or a sleeper nearby, then you're dead.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Player spiders OP

Post by Scones » #101906

That's just spiders in general

Players controlling them is an admin meme that should not be happening often enough to be an issue
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #101930

Scones wrote:That's just spiders in general

Players controlling them is an admin meme that should not be happening often enough to be an issue
Players can spawn into baby spiders just like xenos, iirc. That got adminbussed a loooot
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Summoner
Byond Username: Summoner99

Post by Summoner » #101944

As the spider lord, player spiders are indeed strong but it's not really overpowered and it's only possible via Xenobiology or Badminning and their spider babies. So it's not really an issue as they usually get hunted down quickly
Long time player and former admin
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #101961

Players can only naturally turn to spiders via a combination of gold and light pink slime cores. Beyond that, only the green eyed spiders can lay eggs, and only eggs laid by a player controlled green eyed spider can be a candidates for ghosts. Green spiders are also the easiest to kill and have the worst attacking ability.

I fixed up spiders for player control a while ago, and people have expressed interest in "doing something" with them more than once, but as of now they still mostly lay fallow and thus not in desperate need of balancing.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #101969

also is it me or does wearing armour prevent the spider from applying poison when you strike the body part covered by armour?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #102057

Incoming wrote:Players can only naturally turn to spiders via a combination of gold and light pink slime cores. Beyond that, only the green eyed spiders can lay eggs, and only eggs laid by a player controlled green eyed spider can be a candidates for ghosts. Green spiders are also the easiest to kill and have the worst attacking ability.

I fixed up spiders for player control a while ago, and people have expressed interest in "doing something" with them more than once, but as of now they still mostly lay fallow and thus not in desperate need of balancing.
I posted this suggestion in the 'stupid ideas' thread, but maybe it could be used to spice up those long, boring Changeling rounds! With a little nerfing, the changeling's spider pooping ability could be truly devastating if it had a chance to make player controlled spiders. I am uncertain if it is something we would want, though. The players DID ask for a more lethal station....
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #102076

Player controlled spiders are far more deadly than normal ones. They attack way faster (is this a bug? I don't know), they tend to travel in groups, and they communicate effectively. If changeling spider spawning made them, no sane changeling would want to make them any more: they're too dangerous, even to the ling.

Seriously. You've got the fact they're self replicating, which is a big deal. Then on top of that you've got the venomous bite (which is really hard to counteract, even as a ling you run out of chemicals pretty fast), the web spawning (including sticky traps and cocoons to make it harder to respawn and retrieve corpses), and the vent crawling of spiderlings to areas all over the station. Spiders are highly mobile and, in a team, unbelievably hard to kill entirely. About the only thing they don't have are lights or night vision.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #102077

Spiders are very strong. They are balanced by the fact they're controlled by dumbfuck AI, but when you put players controlling the spiders they become unstoppable.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #102100

There are some ways to combat them though. Setting them on fire will kill them because they can't resist out of it. They don't regenerate health so they will lose in attrition. Also like I said being hit on armour prevent the poison being applied.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #102103

Player spiders are rare. They are also grossly powerful compared to even xenos.
Each person they capture (doesn't need to be alive) creates something like half a dozen spiderlings, that fuck off and later turn into new player controlled spiders, when ghosts become available.

If you don't stamp out the infestation REAL fast, the entire station is utterly fucked.
Also fuck spider venom.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #102420

Also little do you know, from the creator of it BlessedHeretic.
Using rats = win.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #103066

Fun fact. Nurse spiders are able to feed on drones.
Player spiders are definitely extremely powerful, but they do have an upside in that you can get pretty much all of deadchat back into the game in a few moments with a few var edits. You can't easily do that with xenos.
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #103568

Having played a round this evening with normal spiders, I have to say that even those are pretty OP. Their venom combined with their bite is capable of critting after 3 or 4 hits, and the venom kills within a minute or two of crit. If you don't have a ranged weapon, and aren't near a doctor or medbay, then fighting them one-on-one is going to get you killed.
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #103709

Gun Hog wrote:
Incoming wrote:Players can only naturally turn to spiders via a combination of gold and light pink slime cores. Beyond that, only the green eyed spiders can lay eggs, and only eggs laid by a player controlled green eyed spider can be a candidates for ghosts. Green spiders are also the easiest to kill and have the worst attacking ability.

I posted this suggestion in the 'stupid ideas' thread, but maybe it could be used to spice up those long, boring Changeling rounds! With a little nerfing, the changeling's spider pooping ability could be truly devastating if it had a chance to make player controlled spiders. I am uncertain if it is something we would want, though. The players DID ask for a more lethal station....
I really like this idea. Nerf the heck out of player-spiders and make them player controllable :newcop:

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #103746

Set them on fire with a flamethrower