Increasing backpack slots for small and tiny items

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Would you like to see this in the game?

Yes
73%
No
27%
Other
No votes
Abstain
No votes

Total votes: 15

Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Increasing backpack slots for small and tiny items

Post by Amnestik » #108830

So regular bags are limited to 7 slots and the dufflebag is limited to 9. The space available isn't affected by the size of the items occupying it, so 7 cigarettes and 7 fire extinguishers both fill a bag.

This logical inconsistency is easily fixed by using the *variable max_combined_w_class instead, a variable already set at 21 for bags and 27 for duffles instead of setting a fixed number of slots for bags.

This would allow bags to hold 21 tiny items (w_class 1 items such as cigarettes, lighters and pieces of paper), 10 small items (w_class 2 items such as tools or boxes) or 7 normal items (w_class 3 items such as tasers, circular saws and fire extinguishers). Note bags already hold a maximum of 7 normal items, so this change wouldn't allow you to put any extra normal-sized items (like guns) in your bag.

Bags are unable to hold any object with a w_class higher than 3, so using max_combined_w_class instead of limiting the number of slots to 7 wouldn't allow people to carry around 5 w_class 4 fire axes or toolboxes.

This change is really simple to make, and is easily testable by var-editing a satchel in game. It makes jobs like detective, which have more items than you can carry available for use, slightly easier. It doesn't fix the detective issue fully, but it helps a little.

Edit: Hopefully this reads a little better and makes a bit more sense. I was really tired when I wrote this.
Last edited by Amnestik on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Re: Increasing backpack slots for small and tiny items

Post by Cheimon » #108835

Honestly I'd rather just force people to use boxes. Nobody actually carries around 7 cigarettes: they use the container they came in. Maybe it would make sense to have cardboard more available for people, but I don't like the idea of having my bag with 21 slots on the screen: it would really clutter up what I was able to see.

Sure it's slightly more cumbersome, but in its own way that's realistic. You have to rummage around in normal bags to find what you want if there's a lot of stuff in them.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #108884

If you're doing this can you check the code for BoHs for that whatever max weight combined thing?
They should still hold 7 riot shield/backpack sized items
Boredone
Byond Username: Boredone

Post by Boredone » #108885

Checking the Code Kevin, Bags of Holding can hold 7 Weight Class 5 Items.
Backpacks and Shields are Weight Class 4.
So you could actually have 8 of them in a BoH with this change.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #108894

Could we get a webm demonstrating this?
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #108942

Seems like kind of a pointless change, since effectively all it does it make it so you can store more items in your backpack as long as those items are tiny, and tiny items already fit into your box which is already in your backpack.
In other words, it over complicates inventory management for little to no reason, and is a needless buff to backpacks.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #108948

Gotta agree with PKPenguin here, most of the small items you have a ton of already have some form of secondary container specifically for that item.

Cigarettes? That's what the pack is for.
Lots of papers? Get a clipboard or a folder. (SURPRISINGLY ROBUST IN CULT)
Bullets? Box o bullets, speedloaders. The only thing missing is something for shotgun shells because the bandolier is garbage.
Light bulbs? Specific box just for that.
Evidence bags? Handcuffs? Flashbangs? Zipties? Boxes already for all of that.

However OP is correct about detective. You don't need to carry around a large amount of a single small thing, its mostly a lot of different single small things. Single pair of handcuffs, scanner, box for evidence bags (ha ha nobody uses these), gun, speedloader, whatever misc sec gear you procure, plus whatever flavor items like the zippo that makes you a complete shitler if you get rid of it.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #108954

Someone's already made a PR for this, oddly: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/10975
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #108976

Tiny items like that should stack. That would solve the "10 cigarettes in a backpack eats the whole screen" problem.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #109019

Pretty sure cigs can hold reagents so that wouldn't work.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #109090

You can stack cigarettes in a trashbag without any problems. (You can also stack beakers, which is an inventory management nightmare.)