Temp AdminCandidate feedback

Resolved.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Temp AdminCandidate feedback

Post by MrStonedOne » #9427

This is the thread for feedback about the various AdminCandidates who you have seen tempmin'ed (Who don't have threads already in this forum)

We currently have two (that i know of) Admin Candidates who are in admins.txt and get admin permissions every round. That would be MrStonedOne, and nalar, and feedback about them should go into their respective threads.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Temp AdminCandidate feedback

Post by paprika » #9487

Why do you get admin permissions every round? That is a bad idea and it makes you no different than trialmins. Yeah it's a bother to tempmin you every round from an admin point of view but I'm pretty sure sticky already demonstrated why it's a bad idea.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #9488

Uh. Yeah. What's the point of you being candidate if you're in the txt, that just makes you a trialmin.
If you're supposed to have an admin buddy with you, they can probably go through the effort of tempminning you each round.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #9491

If you're going to be in the txt we might as well just make you guys trials.

Admin Candidacy really shouldn't be taking this long anyways.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #9497

Yeah I figured it'd be 1-2 weeks tops then the admin handling you will either say 'fit for the job' or 'unfit'.

It's cool that you're testing it out but dragging it on is a waste of time. It does not take that long to learn the basics of administration and apply it to some rounds.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #9510

I really don't know why MSO is on the list, I guess SoS put him there for some reason, I already picked my candidates that I want to train, namely Nalar, Sticky, and Steelpoint.
Sticky messed up but hopefully he'll learn from that.
Nalar is ready to be bumped to trialmin.
Steelpoint is... MIA, i'll probably replace him.
I play Boris Pepper.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #9511

I was on a list? I just assumed it was a one off thing and was given no indication this was a more long term thing.
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #9516

Steelpoint wrote:I was on a list? I just assumed it was a one off thing and was given no indication this was a more long term thing.
Not just a list.
"THE LIST".
And fuck me you found your name like a homing pigeon.
If you're on Sibyl, gimme a bell and i'll see how you do with the powers that be, baby.
I play Boris Pepper.
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #9550

Mso is possibly on the .txt because at some point I said I would train him as my candidate but then never got the permissions for it so he assimilated the position. Reason aside he's been doing a good job as candidate so far and he'd do well for trialmin too.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
KingLouisXIV
Byond Username: KingLouisXIV

Post by KingLouisXIV » #9568

Just for informational sake, I've been a candidate on Sybil and Artyom a little bit.

You will be remembered, Terrence.
elyina
Byond Username: Elyina

Post by elyina » #9596

Nalar doesn't need training, he's been doing this for a long time and knows what's up. I wouldn't even mind seeing him just bumped to game admin but muh bureaucracy and all that
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #9597

I'm an admin observer offshoot weird mystical thing on Artyom. Do I need a topic?

The only flags I have are +@ and +SOUND. I think. I might have more. I don't know, though.
danno

Post by danno » #9598

>given power to play midis
yeah you need an admin feedback thread obviously
elyina

Post by elyina » #9603

You aren't an admin.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #9606

Nalar is my favorite of all the new candidates. Being of course, a headmin from bay, it's not like he needs any sort of training and has everything under his wing already. He's also a very cool guy who coded a very useful (and adorable) bot for #adminbus.
I have no opinion on stickymayham, and generally dislike steelpoint who needs to brush up on the rules/policy whatever stuff. I remember a specific thread where he told a rule about something, but was completely wrong. Not to rag on him or anything, and he did admit his mistake, but there's something off about it.

Kinglouis and TheGel are both people who are candidates from time to time. I haven't had much interaction with kinglouis, but they seem pretty level headed and stuff. I actually disliked them at first, but I think they are a pretty decent person, and what I have seen, is pretty nice. TheGel was first canidated when I was online, and I pointed out very minor things here and there and we had a long conversation in deadchat. I very much like TheGel. An outstanding player with great potential.
MSO is a cool forum host but stays exclusively to sibyl (Where he has canidate and on Artyom he has observer), so I have no opinion on him.

Iamgoofball. I know your title is midispammer, but dear lord, could you stop spamming MIDIS

Edit: I know Nalar and MSO should be in their retrospective threads, but eh, 1) lazy and 2) I don't think they should have threads just yet and agree with everyone else. Bump them to trialmin already.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #9609

Nalar is a headmin from bay...?
Nalar
Byond Username: Nalar

Post by Nalar » #9616

Suprise (I actually went from /tg/ to bay, I've always been here, but yes I have rank elsewhere)! Keep this on-topic though.

I do wish to point out that even though I am fairly heavily experienced, I do want to go through the entire trial process. Yeah, I've got a lot of things down and I'm not a total shit admin, but I do want to ensure that I don't miss certain things and I'm certainly not infalliable. For example, before I talked to bluespace and asked for feedback, I was going too deep into investigations and needed to pull back a little more and widen my perspective. I'd like to have these things ironed out because, well, I want to improve!

-=Forum Global Moderator=-
-=GameAdmin=-
Tell me how I'm doing.
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #9842

elyina wrote:You aren't an admin.
Does that mean I can't complain about him playing unfitting max volume midis ad nauseum?
elyina

Post by elyina » #9843

WeeYakk wrote:
Does that mean I can't complain about him playing unfitting max volume midis ad nauseum?

Alternatively, complain to SoS about it
danno

Post by danno » #9921

people always say you can just hear/silence midis
but there are admins who play really fitting, high quality midis
and it's not like anyone announces that they are playing a midi before doing it, you don't have time to turn them back on

so what, either you play midi roulette, nice high quality midis vs. excruciatingly loud, terrible midis, or you don't listen to midis ever and miss out?
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #9924

paprika wrote:Yeah I figured it'd be 1-2 weeks tops then the admin handling you will either say 'fit for the job' or 'unfit'.

It's cool that you're testing it out but dragging it on is a waste of time. It does not take that long to learn the basics of administration and apply it to some rounds.
I'm guessing it's the same exact reason trialmins were kept so long as trialmins, the admins in charge of trialmins are too scared that they fuck up and cause a shitstorm and they'll be blamed. I personally believe in a baptism by fire after being told the basics since people skills comes naturally usually and no amount of training will save them when shit goes down, but ya know if you want to tell the trial admins how to deal with every small nuance (hint: you will never be able to do this at all) then keep at this mess and keep them admincandidates 4ever.
Nalar wrote:Suprise (I actually went from /tg/ to bay, I've always been here, but yes I have rank elsewhere)!
Spoiler:
yo tell bay to prepare /tg/station is going to challenge them to a dominions 4 disciple game soon they better be ready.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #9951

WeeYakk wrote:
If I played fitting music for situations, you metagaming fuckheads would hear a song and then start screaming "SPACE JESUS IS PLAYING MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, MUST BE NUKE OPS" or "SYSTEM SHOCK THEME, AI MUST BE CONFIRMED ROGUE!", and I'd get b& for ruining the round for the nuke ops or blob or whatever it is.

Or people in lobby would hear the William Tell Overture finale and know "better not join, must be badmin round."
danno

Post by danno » #9956

goofball your not-playing-for-a-long-time-ness is showing
how come other admins can be not-retards about good fitting midis and there's never been a problem
if what you say is true
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #9965

danno wrote:people always say you can just hear/silence midis
but there are admins who play really fitting, high quality midis
and it's not like anyone announces that they are playing a midi before doing it, you don't have time to turn them back on

so what, either you play midi roulette, nice high quality midis vs. excruciatingly loud, terrible midis, or you don't listen to midis ever and miss out?
If you really wanna listen to 8-bit music THAT badly while playing, just go to You-tube or Google them, or something.
:^)
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #9973

I haven't had midis unmuted since i started playing and i've never felt like i've missed out on anything when people scream WAT SONG IS DIS in ooc.

Also get back on topic guys.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #10037

>admintrainer

Do we really need MORE admin ranks?
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #10133

Yeah, the title of admintrainer seems really unnecesarry.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #10145

paprika wrote:>admintrainer

Do we really need MORE admin ranks?
It's just a renamed GameMaster designed not to give the people who have the rank visions of Unearned Importance that might cause them to try to overrule GameAdmins on typical matters or the like.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #10154

But why do they need game master flags? Is there anything special they need to do their job or is it just more game masters fnr?
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #10164

GameMasters are essentially GameAdmins with the +PERMISSIONS flags, which is needed to tempmin people, so 'AdminTrainer' needs it too.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #10173

Makes sense, I'll put my no-fun badmin powergrab #conspiracies on the backburner.

Think up a better name though. CanidateTrainer makes a lot more sense. Both sound like pokemon references unfortunately
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #10175

Are you saying sounding like pokemon references is bad? Griffons, gotta catch 'em all!
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #10178

I wanna be the very worst,
Like no one ever was.
To ban them is my real quest,
To train them is my cause.
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #10191

paprika wrote:I wanna be the very worst,
Like no one ever was.
To ban them is my real quest,
To train them is my cause.
i'll h-have you know i have all the badmin badges.
I play Boris Pepper.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #10247

You're the gary oak of badminning, bluespace.
KingLouisXIV

Post by KingLouisXIV » #10263

Does that mean we have to fight him and then kill his pet
Then humilate him as he's trying to honor his dead pet
Then kick him after he becomes the Badmin champion for 5 minutes and then get our buttons listed in the ranks of the Badmin League

Also I imagine the Badmin Badges being the panel buttons;
Boulder Badge: Conduct a meteor shower.
Cascade Badge: Your first ban.
Thunder Badge: Knock out all the lights. Then do it again as soon as the crew is done replacing them.
Rainbow Badge: Varedit Space drugs into EVERYBODY.
Soul Badge: Control a station pet (or another cute animal) and become accepted by the crew.
Marsh Badge: Handle a ban request.
Volcano Badge: PRESS THE FORBIDDEN BUTTON (Warning: Extremely Lame)
Earth Badge: Conduct your first big event.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #11003

Why are all the candidates just literally MSO's new board moderators? Will there ever be board moderators that aren't admins, besides niknak? I'd like a 'one or the other' approach to this because instead of board moderators being admins that are then given extra responsibility, the board moderators are mostly newbie game admins. Isn't that kind of dumb for obvious reasons?
KingLouisXIV

Post by KingLouisXIV » #11008

paprika wrote:Why are all the candidates just literally MSO's new board moderators? Will there ever be board moderators that aren't admins, besides niknak? I'd like a 'one or the other' approach to this because instead of board moderators being admins that are then given extra responsibility, the board moderators are mostly newbie game admins. Isn't that kind of dumb for obvious reasons?
Not "all of the candidates" are board moderators. Out of the four(?) people I've seen being placed up for candidacy, only Nalar and I are board moderators at all, and even then I only watch over the (already well covered) General forums. StickyMayhem and TheGel aren't forum mods, and the latter of which only has one whole post on the forums at all.

If you think about it, the correlation between forum mod volunteers and people applying for admin isn't hard to grasp. In one way or the other, they are trusted individuals who want the ability to help out the community through administrative duties that other people either don't want to do or aren't fit to do. As far as I know, Jeb and NikNakFlak are our two global forum mods that don't have any actual admin powers in-game, and the others with global forum mod are all long-term admins.

In either case, it's not really "dumb" since as an in-game admin, it's useful and almost expected to have forum rights over at least FNR so you have the ability to clean up your own or others requests and appeals when they come through. As much as I like NikNakFlak, I wouldn't want to bug him every single time I need a thread closed or moved around when I could just as easily do it myself.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #11014

Uh, as I recall, on the old forums, didn't all in-game admins have access to closing threads in FNR so they could close appeals/requests they resolved? Why isn't that the case here exactly?
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #11019

paprika wrote:Uh, as I recall, on the old forums, didn't all in-game admins have access to closing threads in FNR so they could close appeals/requests they resolved? Why isn't that the case here exactly?
You recall incorrectly.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #11025

But why not, if it's a problem for game admins to bug mods to close their threads or the resident ban admin so much that they have to be moderators why not give them all FNR basic mod access
Hornygranny
Horny Police

Post by Hornygranny » #11027

I'm not personally opposed to it, but I don't think that's been an issue so far.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #11032

I was told that Dawn of Man (Mugen Lloris) either was or was going to be an admin candidate, and I know very well that player opinion has absolutely no bearing on how this works. So apologies if this is the wrong thread for this, but I wanted this to be as clear as possible: he is possibly the absolute worst possible player on the server to be an admin candidate, let alone a player with his current playstyle, and this is causing me to seriously doubt the judgment of the admins and the current trialmin process.

Below is a list of behaviors that I believe are unacceptable from a regular player, let alone someone in a position of authority:

- In almost every round, harasses me including but not limited to:
-- Creepy sexual comments that toe the line of being bannable for rape. There is ban precedent in the past that both line-toeing behavior and creepy sexual behavior is the kind of thing that we do not want on our server. (Should go without saying, but does not respond to being told to stop.)
-- Constantly hanging around my character and making aforementioned sexual comments. This sometimes rises to the point of ruining my round when I am antag, for obvious reasons. He also recognizes my character by appearance even when I play characters that aren't supposed to be me (Clown, mime, etc) and starts the harassment then.
-- Does the same in OOC and on the forums. This included when he was named as admin candidate. At one point he posted that I should "Stay off of Sibyl."
-- From what I gather he does this to other players too but I don't think to the same degree as he does to me, and obviously I am not in the best position to comment on other players' experience.

- Almost exclusively plays assistant, in a griefy way. When not playing assistant, uses that role slot to graytide, often to the point of messing with or outright ruining my round. Does not make any attempt to follow the chain of command or do their job. Recent example: I was HoS, he was lawyer. He does no actual lawyering and instead spends the entire shift trying to interfere with my operations of security and shit up the security radio channel to the point of being unusable. I go to get him demoted at the HoP line (the HoP agrees once I explain the situation) and he attacks me, steals my energy gun, shoots me with it, runs away, and then suicides.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Hornygranny
Horny Police

Post by Hornygranny » #11033

And you didn't report any of this or save logs why?
bandit

Post by bandit » #11034

I reported one instance (the lawyer thing), was told it was an IC issue. As for the rest, there are two problems: first, none of it on its own really rises to the occasion of being bannable on its own (see line-toeing, etc) and more importantly, considering my prior experience (tried to report a player for this kind of thing, got punished for trying to report them, headmins still mock me about it almost every time they see me in OOC) you can see why I'm hesitant to say anything.

admin feedback pls
Hornygranny
Horny Police

Post by Hornygranny » #11036

No, I can't, but given my experience with you, I'm not inclined to believe you either.
bandit

Post by bandit » #11037

I don't remember the admin who dealt with the lawyer thing (Nalar? Leibniz?) but I can assure you it was a real incident that happened pretty much exactly like that. As for the other stuff (OOC, etc), it's not as if he does anything to hide it.

admin feedback pls
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #11039

Ahahaha okay well mugen lloris is a huge grey tide griefer please do not give him the time of day until his play style has improved at least a tiny bit. The few months I spent on sybil, he was up there on the list of people I'd generally avoid because of their tendency to grief and shit as greyshirt. That's my input on DoM.

@Admin stuff, thanks for clearing all that up then louis, I have no real problem with board moderators persuing game admin but it kind of felt like a lot of the board moderators specifically became board moderators in order to become admins, you and nalar in other words. I dunno, I feel like you'd both be better admins than board moderators, it's a different ballgame but I think that's just the stark contrast in this forum and erro's forum, because erro's forum really didn't have much moderation and people shitposted and could get away with a lot more without having their posts deleted, maybe I haven't warmed up to it yet. not that i shitpost or anything

As far as you both (and gel) as admin canidates, well you're all doing a pretty good job but all I've really seen is just you all fucking around, which isn't bad, I but I don't see enough behind the scenes with admin canidates handling bans for it to be a thing I can weigh in on. I trust Neerti and the other pokemin trainers to judge your competency themselves, they're all the best for that job honestly.

Rename the rank PokeminTrainer
Brotemis
Byond Username: Brotemis

Post by Brotemis » #11040

We need better candidates. Quality will always trump quantity and so far my feeling on the group has ranged from unimpressed to disappointed (stickymayhem and greytiding). I've stated my points on why that is extremely bad, but it is especially so if they display this behavior early on. It's an indication that they don't know where to draw the line on not only their IC behavior, but their admin behavior as well regarding it.

Were I online at the time, I would have likely dunked Sticky for even admin helping it in the first place. This isn't punishing people who adminhelp, this is deterring people who act shitty and then adminhelp afterwards how they were removed from the round.

I dislike the buzz word "valid" and how much it used to determine kills but it only determines the potential for ooc consequences.

Nalar has been the only one I've seen doing good but they've got a little room for improvement in reading server logs
Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #11042

I'm really mulling over the few interested parties I have at the moment, i'm still unsure if I want to continue with sticky. On one hand, his replies to ahelps are pretty damn good, on the other hand, I really can't see that "solid" state you need to have to be a "good" admin. I would feel 100% responsible if an admin was promoted and then fucked with players. Artyom progress with candidates is going well, as far as I know. Neerti is doing brilliant.
I play Boris Pepper.