Justice for Service Workers

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Chesh
Byond Username: CheshMoney

Justice for Service Workers

Post by Chesh » #112094

I feel as if most service jobs are overlooked in regard to updates and additional items. Mostly because they're not that important to the crew except for maybe the chef, but I'd like to see some weight added or at least some additional items for convenience's sake.

Botany:
Just give botany some form of mutagen right off the bat, whether its from a dispenser or a few bottles. Botanists almost universally always get mutagen from Chemistry, and sometime's they're just too busy to handle the bullshit plant experiments. And when they are not, they dont usually have an issue giving some. Just cut the middle man and have a limited supply available. If it's in a dispenser, just have it lockable via ID.

Bartender:
The bartender needs more native drinks to make that give some fun effects. I dont know about the rest of the faithful bartenders amongst us, but I'm asked to make the Pan Galactic maybe 80% of the time. It's the best drink. Gets you high as shit and you dont need to bother other departments for materials. it doesn't need to be game breaking, just something that brings some temporary fun to your drinking experience.

Janitor:
Probably the most boring, unrewarding job of the service crew. Why not make him the stations best exterminator? Mice? Thats chump change. How about a cockroach swarm mob that can crawl through vents and can do very light damage to others? And Im talking REAL light. Maybe 1 damage brute and can make food somewhat poisonous if they contact it. It doesn't need to be cockroaches, just something a bit more interesting then mice. Maybe space raccoons or whatever. Also make the janitor go-go racing kart operable without having the key in hand specifically. One slip or disarm and there goes your sweet ride. More than likely to that fuckhead clown.

*Bonus* - Maybe add a kill count reward system similar to mining. Bring roach husks to a redemption in the closet for stupid cosmetic stuff or additional, stronger, pest control options.

Chef:
Out of all the service jobs, the chef is the most susceptible to robbery/assault whether it's for knives, cleavers or the key to the gibber. I suggest we put a form of glass window and table setup similar to reception at any other department. Cause more often then not, I'll have people climbing into the shop within minutes of round start just to do just that. The shutters work but its horribly inhospitable to hungry patrons and I dont exactly like crushing others to prevent grand theft cutlery. A dual sliding window similar to botany would be perfect.

I heavily request other's to make suggestions about service jobs. They're usually bottom of the barrel priority for updates/changes and frankly I think its unfair since its the most underwhelming and overlooked job group. We like fun too guys.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Re: Justice for Service Workers

Post by TrustyGun » #112121

Turn pest-extermination into a tower defense game. I'm serious.

Turn the emergency closets on the east and west parts on the section into other janitorial closets. As a random event, mice/raccoons/cockroaches/other pests may attack one of these janitorial closets in order to remove the janitor's reign over maintenance. You kill the pests for points so you can buy stronger defense options (bear-trap turrets?) and over the course of the round, the attacks get rougher. If the pests take over, all the sweet janitorial booty is destroyed and it is turned into a permanent pest base.

Spread the janitor's supplies over the three closets so he actually has a reason to defend them.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Thundercoot
Byond Username: Erwgd

Post by Thundercoot » #112122

There isn't any way to replenish the station's supply of black pepper. Adding a black pepper plant to the game would solve this, as would adding pepper mills to food supply crates.
Chesh

Post by Chesh » #112128

I'd also like to suggest additional mutation options for plants that otherwise cant mutant into other species. Some examples:

Extremely rare mutations:
Mutated Pod plant - Can spawn a sentient random mob (Xeno, carp, space bear, etc) instead of a normal human.
Gibbermelons - Heavily mutated watermelon which functions as a one time use gibber. Picture Little Shop of Horrors.

Normal Rarity:
Shineshroom - Glow shroom mutation. Pulses deadly amounts of radiation and provides ample light for a large area.
Toughshroom - Mutated version of the walking mushroom but more robust. Still passive unless provoked.
Steelwheat - Tastes like flouride. Can be ground/fabricated into sheets.

And of course you can do other generic mutations for various amounts of nutriment/color/size and other boring shit.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #112201

Chesh wrote:Gibbermelons - Heavily mutated watermelon which functions as a one time use gibber. Picture Little Shop of Horrors.
hahaha why the fuck would you want that

>walk down hall
>botanist pulls 30 deathnettles out of his bag and hits you into crit in two hits
>he pulls out one of his 100 portable gibbing watermelons
>instantly dead
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Chesh

Post by Chesh » #112209

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Chesh wrote:Gibbermelons - Heavily mutated watermelon which functions as a one time use gibber. Picture Little Shop of Horrors.
hahaha why the fuck would you want that

>walk down hall
>botanist pulls 30 deathnettles out of his bag and hits you into crit in two hits
>he pulls out one of his 100 portable gibbing watermelons
>instantly dead
I was thinking more along the lines of once its fully grown, that its a stationary object similar to the pods. And once used, it dies. I guess you'd be able to trolly it around while its still in the tray but you'd have to take responsibility for whatever happens near it, just like the chef.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #112211

Reinforcing the chef's workplace sounds boring.

I don't know about you guys, but out of all the jobs in the station, the chef is the job where I get into fist fights the most simply because I tend to jealously guard my workplace more than most people.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #112213

Service gets a bit of content and 2/3 jobs are the most powerful nonsecurity jobs in the fucking game
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Stan_Studnick
Byond Username: Stan_Studnick

Post by Stan_Studnick » #112215

TrustyGun wrote:Turn pest-extermination into a tower defense game. I'm serious.

Spread the janitor's supplies over the three closets so he actually has a reason to defend them.
This would be fucking amazing, but I don't think you need to actually spread the supplies out. There's no reason for the pests to want to invade the cleaning supplies and shit, fuck that noise, but they're sure as hell going to invade anywhere there's food or other goodies they can eat. Some suggestions for pest control and the janitor's role on the station:

- Please make it so mice chew on cables and get fried/gibbed and the cable needs to be replaced.
- Mice, cockroaches, flies, whatever else (some weird space pest/parasite) build nests, I'm sure making it so they occasionally path to a randomly selected food item and ventcrawl would be great. Sec would probably run out of donuts and have a mess to clean up.
- Radiation, random greytide or clown application of mutagen to pests has a chance to mutate them into larger and physically dangerous beasts. Giant rats, giant ants, giant cockroaches... Maybe an infestation of giant space ants would be like those extra missions in Red Alert: Retaliation, maybe fireants consume nearby plasma and shoot fire like the incendiary shotgun shells?
- Same thing applies to Wags-His-Tail, a chance he gets mutated into this larger beastly lizard, maybe drag him to a warren of giant rats and let the scaly son of a bitch go to town.
- BB gun sure would be a great addition, this is actually my go-to IRL pest control device. Right before winter a lot of mice come in and I dispatch them using my pellet gun. Physically harmless unless you pump it up the maximum number of times, which would cause light bruising (like at most 1-2 brute) and a small chance of blinding somebody if you aim for the eyes. Would be a hilarious item for shitlery and honks, and if upgraded (please no emagging) you can hook an air tank to it to do consistent max-damage with every shot.
- I think the janitor should get a special purple gas mask just because.
- There should definitely be a pest fogger and a duster in the janitor's arsenal, different mixes could be effective for different enemies. Mice would get rat poison, insects could be hit with diatomaceous earth for all-around mass-murder of any insect species, and special mixes for space ants, space roaches, or whatever space bug the janitor's battling against. Obviously this would be far, far more important if the bugs get blasted with radiation and mutate into cat-sized murder machines.
- Slightly unrelated, but add the ability to cut shotgun shells (cut shells act as ghetto slugs at the cost of the husk being unusable) or peel them open with a screwdriver to dump the shot out. Only works with buckshot and incendiary shells, but instead one could load a vial or small canister (craftable, of course) of whatever substance that explodes on impact. Maybe make pest control "grenade shells" if you want to give the janitor a shotgun for whatever hilarious reason. Obviously this would have some seriously delicious traitor implications, but in the event of a pest mutation these shells could be used to fight back the gigantor vermins.
Thundercoot wrote:There isn't any way to replenish the station's supply of black pepper. Adding a black pepper plant to the game would solve this, as would adding pepper mills to food supply crates.
Black pepper comes from peppercorns, they're the dried fruit of the black pepper vine; you first dry the fruit, then you grind the peppercorns. I think preserving this process would be pretty neat.
Chesh wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of once its fully grown, that its a stationary object similar to the pods. And once used, it dies. I guess you'd be able to trolly it around while its still in the tray but you'd have to take responsibility for whatever happens near it, just like the chef.
Why not make a carnivorous plant monster that gobbles on flesh and will eventually gib a body if it's left to munch on it? Removes the shitty instantly dispose of a body aspect and makes the traitor botanist hilariously vicious. Of course add a chance the thing will get feral if left alone for too long and start to get a little nippy with everyone it sees.

Another plant mutation could be snipping off a shoot of space vines and making space vine bonsai! Use wirecutters, the hatchet, and cables to shape and twist the space vines into all sorts of things. You could make walls, floors, tables, chairs, perhaps even with a little mutagen make some sort of door or window.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #112325

>janitor
>boring

its as if you've never slipped half of security when they're chasing somebody down the halls.
i fucking love playing janitor tbh
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #112327

Chesh wrote: Toughshroom - Mutated version of the walking mushroom but more robust. Still passive unless provoked.

Please give them a slow but super strong attack.
Chesh

Post by Chesh » #112331

Miauw wrote:>janitor
>boring

its as if you've never slipped half of security when they're chasing somebody down the halls.
i fucking love playing janitor tbh
As much as I love shenanigans, I dont believe thats an apt reasoning not to improve a job. You can bask in the ill-will of others in almost any job, but usually it ends with a baton in your butthole or a fire extinguisher in your skull.

Without some form of actual objective besides your base role, the work feels like a chore instead of a game. There needs to be a balance. Even a job that almost infinitely relies on your own creativity wont get acknowledged most of the time unless you do something dangerous/harmful; please see Librarian. The only downside to this style of gameplay is that it alienates the job from other jobs because: fuck them you have a mission now.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #112333

im fine with any changes to janitor as long as i can still mop up blood in the middle of the floor and point to signs.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #112806

Man, playing janitor lately kind of saddens me

Having immediate access to both soap and space cleaner means that if you use the mop people get super pissy despite it being their own damn fault for slipping.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #112809

Takeguru wrote:Man, playing janitor lately kind of saddens me

if you use the mop people get super pissy despite it being their own damn fault for slipping.
But that's why you use it.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #113184

What about making the Janitor the best equipped crewman for killing invading non-human critters?

Suddenly he turns into a caretaker-trapper, and janitor gimmicks overnight become Steve Irwin.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #113199

Which would make a custodial ERT for dealing with carp, spiders and xenos that much more likely.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #113587

What if thirst was added, next to hunger, that you can quench only by drinking alcohol. It has some nice black comedy to it, and fits the SS13 theme. And the changes to how hunger works made Chef much more engaging and needed than he was before, maybe so it could be the case with Bartender.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #113677

I don't think people would like having two arbitrary meters to keep track of. It is already annoying with one.

However, you still could halve hunger buildup time to make room for a thirst meter.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #113680

Chesh wrote:
Botany:
Just give botany some form of mutagen right off the bat, whether its from a dispenser or a few bottles. Botanists almost universally always get mutagen from Chemistry, and sometime's they're just too busy to handle the bullshit plant experiments. And when they are not, they dont usually have an issue giving some. Just cut the middle man and have a limited supply available. If it's in a dispenser, just have it lockable via ID.
What about beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees?! I want bees, Paradise/baycode bees are pretty easy to deal with, but really anything that pollinates and makes botany a bit more lively (and scary to any shitcurity looking to toss someone's workplace)
Bartender:
The bartender needs more native drinks to make that give some fun effects. I dont know about the rest of the faithful bartenders amongst us, but I'm asked to make the Pan Galactic maybe 80% of the time. It's the best drink. Gets you high as shit and you dont need to bother other departments for materials. it doesn't need to be game breaking, just something that brings some temporary fun to your drinking experience.

Just adding more drinks to the dispenser would be nice. The things don't regenerate that fast, so it's still worth encouraging you to get renewable resources from Botany or Chemistry.
Janitor:
Probably the most boring, unrewarding job of the service crew. Why not make him the stations best exterminator? Mice? Thats chump change. How about a cockroach swarm mob that can crawl through vents and can do very light damage to others? And Im talking REAL light. Maybe 1 damage brute and can make food somewhat poisonous if they contact it. It doesn't need to be cockroaches, just something a bit more interesting then mice. Maybe space raccoons or whatever. Also make the janitor go-go racing kart operable without having the key in hand specifically. One slip or disarm and there goes your sweet ride. More than likely to that fuckhead clown.

*Bonus* - Maybe add a kill count reward system similar to mining. Bring roach husks to a redemption in the closet for stupid cosmetic stuff or additional, stronger, pest control options.
Chef:
Out of all the service jobs, the chef is the most susceptible to robbery/assault whether it's for knives, cleavers or the key to the gibber. I suggest we put a form of glass window and table setup similar to reception at any other department. Cause more often then not, I'll have people climbing into the shop within minutes of round start just to do just that. The shutters work but its horribly inhospitable to hungry patrons and I dont exactly like crushing others to prevent grand theft cutlery. A dual sliding window similar to botany would be perfect.
I believe we still have wooden barricades? If you set them up on the tables, you can place food under them but people can't crawl through them without genetic mutations.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #113781

i just want to be able to, as the bartender, get really drunk (to the point of randomly stumbling) and while i'm drunk i do more damage with punches and have slight damage resistance
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Chesh

Post by Chesh » #113862

PKPenguin321 wrote:i just want to be able to, as the bartender, get really drunk (to the point of randomly stumbling) and while i'm drunk i do more damage with punches and have slight damage resistance
This is perfect.

Cause otherwise there is no actual benefit to being drunk aside from the RP of being drunk. Shit, its all negatives really. A boost in melee damage and resistance, would actually be fun. Would cause more bar brawls too.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #113866

Implement Zui Quan, make characters automatically learn it when drunk and forget when sober.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Post by 420weedscopes » #113885

hydroponics: spoiled enough, i should know. i spoil them.
bartender: i assume by 'native' drinks you mean drinks that can be made entirely on your own without anyone else's help for mats? there's a few of those already.
janitor: cockroach swarm is a super cool idea. i'd support it if i saw a PR soon. unfortunately, having the key anywhere but the hands just makes a buckled janicart nigh-invincible. iirc it's why the carts were removed in the first place. kill count system could be good.
chef: sounds like your problems are from not being robust. i suggest running for the shutters button at round start, making plenty of food, then dishing it all out at once. alternatively, you can move the tables down a tile, put the food on it then close the shutters again. this means people can still eat.
Davidchan wrote:What about beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees?!
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/10460
pester remie
Lumbermancer wrote:What if thirst was added, next to hunger, that you can quench only by drinking alcohol.
this is a terrible idea for something that's always around. water quenches thirst very easily. it might be good for an event (food doesn't decrease hunger, only the alcohol reagents do) but that's about it.
Chesh wrote:Extremely rare mutations:
Mutated Pod plant - Can spawn a sentient random mob (Xeno, carp, space bear, etc) instead of a normal human.
Gibbermelons - Heavily mutated watermelon which functions as a one time use gibber. Picture Little Shop of Horrors.

Normal Rarity:
Shineshroom - Glow shroom mutation. Pulses deadly amounts of radiation and provides ample light for a large area.
Toughshroom - Mutated version of the walking mushroom but more robust. Still passive unless provoked.
Steelwheat - Tastes like flouride. Can be ground/fabricated into sheets.

And of course you can do other generic mutations for various amounts of nutriment/color/size and other boring shit.
as the hydroponics guy i'm completely fine with all of these. the rare mutations would have to be a 1 or 2% chance though.
we don't need steelwheat. towercaps have a regular mutation called steelcaps. they turn into metal rods, which you can weld for metal.
also related: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2435 & https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/7913
Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg
Absalom
Byond Username: Absalom526

Post by Absalom » #118724

Bartender really needs his access to the ore redemption machine back. Dunno why it was removed.