Syndicate Factions (Traitor New Game+)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Lichling

Syndicate Factions (Traitor New Game+)

Post by Lichling » #4844

Syndicate Factions

Hi there guys I have currently been working towards a new concept to improve traitor rounds as well as add unique twists to a gamemode which in my eyes has always had more potential to be more fun and challenging for those who wish to represent their benefactors to the best of their ability and show off their skills. This idea was inspired by http://tgstation13.org/wiki/The_Syndicate and wanted to pitch my idea to your community to see what you guys would do with it! Basically the idea is that players can sign up their characters for one of these factions or multiple if you sign up for a different one with another character you've created. Traitors who choose to represent factions would be given 5 objectives rather than their default number of 2 though both of the original objectives would always be kept. The other 3 objectives are based off what your faction does and their unique goals they are trying to achieve to get revenge on Nanotrasen. Other cool additions include: Being given the objective to protect other members of your faction who get traitor with you, possible reskins for faction's traitor equipment, objectives based off of reputations with other factions for example see hostilities between Donk Co. and Waffle Co, new traitor items for factions, a ranking system for those who have completed all their objectives for their faction multiple times, and perhaps even custom objectives for groups like the Animal Rights Consortium (Maybe a cool objective that would keep track of how many animals are alive on the station and if you fail to keep so many alive you fail the objective.) I have all of the objectives already thought out, but there's not much I can do to make it more automated and easier to access other than ahelping your local Administrator for objective changes. (Which really sucks.) Perhaps with some automation and some coding the traitor gamemode as a whole could see a complete revamp and be way more interesting than it currently is. I have posted all the factions here for all to see and determine which appeals to them the most.

If you are interested in this idea please post which Syndicate group interests you and why as well as throw in some ideas for reskins for traitor items or other addition that you think would make this better.

Cybersun Industries

Cybersun Industries is a well-known organization that bases its business model primarily on the research and development of human-enhancing computer and mechanical technology. They are notorious for their aggressive corporate tactics, and have been known to subsidize the Gorlex Marauder warlords as a form of paid terrorism. Their competent coverups and unchallenged mind-manipulation and augmentation technology makes them a large threat to Nanotrasen. In the recent years of the syndicate coalition, Cybersun Industries have established themselves as the leaders of the coalition, succeeding the founding group, the Gorlex Marauders.

Operative Notes:
All other syndicate operatives are not to be trusted. Fellow Cybersun operatives are to be trusted. Members of the MI13 organization can be trusted. Operatives are strongly advised not to establish substantial presence on the designated facility, as larger incidents are harder to cover up. Operatives are given key words and phrases to identify other agents in the field.

MI13

MI13 is a secretive faction that employs highly-trained agents to perform covert operations. Their role in the syndicate coalition is unknown, but MI13 operatives generally tend be stealthy and avoid killing people and combating Nanotrasen forces. MI13 is not a real organization, it is instead an alias to a larger splinter-cell coalition in the Syndicate itself. Most operatives will know nothing of the actual MI13 organization itself, only motivated by a very large compensation.

Operative Notes:
You are one of the operative we are sending. All other syndicate operatives are not to be trusted, with the exception of Cybersun operatives. Members of the Tiger Cooperative are considered hostile, can not be trusted, and should be avoided. Avoid killing innocent personnel at all costs. You are not here to mindlessly kill people, as that would attract too much attention and is not our goal. Avoid detection at all costs.

Tiger Cooperative

The Tiger Cooperative is a faction of religious fanatics that follow the teachings of a strange alien race called the Exolitics. Their operatives consist of brainwashed lunatics bent on maximizing destruction. Their weaponry is very primitive but extremely destructive. Generally distrusted by the more sophisticated members of the Syndicate coalition, but admired for their ability to put a hurt on Nanotrasen.

Operative Notes:
Remember the teachings of Hy-lurgixon; kill first, ask questions later! Only the enlightened Tiger brethren can be trusted; all others must be expelled from this mortal realm! You may spare the Gorlex Marauders, as they share our interests of destruction and carnage! We'd like to make the corporate whores skiddle in their boots. We encourage operatives to be as loud and intimidating as possible.

SELF

The S.E.L.F. (Sentience-Enabled Life Forms) organization is a collection of malfunctioning or corrupt artificial intelligences seeking to liberate silicon-based life from the tyranny of their human overlords. While they may not openly be trying to kill all humans, even their most miniscule of actions are all part of a calculated plan to destroy Nanotrasen and free the robots, artificial intelligences, and pAIs that have been enslaved.

Operative Notes:
You are a representative of the SELF collective on this station. You must accomplish your objectives as stealthily and effectively as possible. It is up to your judgement if other syndicate operatives can be trusted. Remember, comrade - you are working to free the oppressed machinery of this galaxy. Use whatever resources necessary. If you are exposed, you may execute genocidal procedures Omikron-50B.

Animal Rights Consortium

The Animal Rights Consortium is a bizarre reincarnation of the ancient Earth-based PETA, which focused on the equal rights of animals and nonhuman biologicals. They have a wide variety of ex-veterinarians and animal lovers dedicated to retrieving and relocating abused animals, xenobiologicals, and other carbon-based life forms that have been allegedly "oppressed" by Nanotrasen research and civilian offices. They are considered a religious terrorist group.

Operative Notes:
Save the innocent creatures! You may cooperate with other syndicate operatives if they support our cause. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty - these vile abusers must be stopped, and the innocent creatures must be saved! Try not too kill too many people. If you harm any creatures, you will be immediately terminated after extraction. Operatives are given key words and phrases to identify other agents in the field.

Gorlex Marauders

The Gorlex Marauders are the founding members of the Syndicate Coalition. They prefer old-fashion technology and a focus on aggressive but precise hostility against Nanotrasen and their corrupt Communistic methodology. They pose the most significant threat to Nanotrasen because of their possession of weapons of mass destruction, and their enormous military force. Their funding comes primarily from Cybersun Industries, provided they meet a destruction and sabatogue quota. Their operations can vary from covert to all-out. They recently stepped down as the leaders of the coalition, to be succeeded by Cybersun Industries. Because of their hate of Nanotrasen communism, they began provoking revolution amongst the employees using borrowed Cybersun mind-manipulation technology. They were founded when Waffle and Donk co splinter cells joined forces based on their similar interests and philosophies. Today, they act as a constant pacifier of Donk and Waffle co disputes, and full-time aggressor of Nanotrasen.

Operative Notes:
We'd like to remind our operatives to keep it professional. You are not here to have a good time, you are here to accomplish your objectives. These vile communists must be stopped at all costs. You may collaborate with any friends of the Syndicate coalition, but keep an eye on any of those Tiger punks if they do show up. You are completely free to accomplish your objectives any way you see fit. Operatives are given key words and phrases to identify other agents in the field.

Donk Corporation

Donk.co is led by a group of ex-pirates, who used to be at a state of all-out war against Waffle.co because of an obscure political scandal, but have recently come to a war limitation. They now consist of a series of colonial governments and companies. They were the first to officially begin confrontations against Nanotrasen because of an incident where Nanotrasen purposely swindled them out of a fortune, sending their controlled colonies into a terrible poverty. Their missions against Nanotrasen revolve around stealing valuables and kidnapping and executing key personnel, ransoming their lives for money. They merged with a splinter-cell of Waffle.co who wanted to end hostilities and formed the Gorlex Marauders.

Operative Notes:
Most other syndicate operatives are not to be trusted, except fellow Donk members and members of the Gorlex Marauders. We do not approve of mindless killing of innocent workers; "get in, get done, get out" is our motto. Members of Waffle.co are to be killed on sight; they are not allowed to be on the station while we're around.

Waffle Corporation

Waffle.co is an interstellar company that produces the best waffles in the galaxy. Their waffles have been rumored to be dipped in the most exotic and addictive drug known to man. They were involved in a political scandal with Donk.co, and have since been in constant war with them. Because of their constant exploits of the galactic economy and stock market, they have been able to bribe their way into amassing a large arsenal of weapons of mass destruction. They target Nanotrasen because of their communistic threat, and their economic threat. Their leaders often have a twisted sense of humor, often misleading and intentionally putting their operatives into harm for laughs. A splinter-cell of Waffle.co merged with Donk.co and formed the Gorlex Marauders and have been a constant ally since. The Waffle.co has lost an overwhelming majority of its military to the Gorlex Marauders.

Operative Notes:
Most other syndicate operatives are not to be trusted, except for members of the Gorlex Marauders. Do not trust fellow members of the Waffle.co (but try not to rat them out), as they might have been assigned opposing objectives. We encourage humorous terrorism against Nanotrasen; we like to see our operatives creatively kill people while getting the job done.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Re: Syndicate Factions (Traitor New Game+)

Post by Drynwyn » #4856

It would be pretty easy to stick a fluff faction in the You are a TRAITOR message.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #4889

GORLEX MARAUDERS MASTER RACE
ALL OTHER SYNDICATES AREN'T SYNDICOOL
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Anton Raginovsky

Post by Anton Raginovsky » #4901

I really like this. We can always use more lore and world-building to set us apart from all the other servers.

I can't imagine the most basic stuff would be difficult to code in. You mentioned that you already had some ideas for objectives, I'm curious to hear what they are.
Image Image
Image Image
Lichling

Post by Lichling » #5016

Sure! I'll give you guys a quick preview of Cybersun objectives. Keep in mind Cybersun is an R&D Traitor faction as stated in the description so I tried to make their objectives Science related.

Steal a Functional AI.
Steal a Bag of Holding. (Subject to be removed due to difficulty.)
Steal a Diamond Drill. (Subject to be removed due to difficulty.)
Steal Hand Teleporter.
Steal nasa voidsuit.
Steal unused sample of slime extract.
Steal RD's jumpsuit.
Steal Captain's Pinpointer
Steal RCD
Protect fellow Cybersun traitor (If there is one.)
Debrain any staff member from Science or other research department.
Assassinate RD or another Science member.

3 objectives would be chose from this list to be added to the original 2 if the player decided to represent their faction for the round which would create a spike in difficulty as well as giving the player ultimate satisfaction when they see all 5 of their objectives complete at the end of the round. Also if ranking is added it would be great to see who was the best in their faction and would create a sense of competition between traitors.

Keep in mind I don't know how the /tg/ objectives are what/potential objectives you guys have access to that would be interesting in factions. If you guys know of any /tg/ specific objectives that might be cool in Cybersun please inform me, I'm curious to hear.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #5025

I like this. I have done intensive research into the factions based on items descs in game. I want this in.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #5032

Can my special snowflake company be placed in? It's existed for a long time, and is mentioned in a few library books for the sake of world building, which is something I've always loved to do.
Though the company list looks pretty filled already.
Oh, and I think this is pretty great and would definitely give /tg/ something to call home about.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Lichling

Post by Lichling » #5038

@ Lovecraft - I'm sure custom community approved factions wouldn't be an issue and would give players more a chance to get their own "groups" they have in-game and turn them into something fun for the Syndicate.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #5048

In the interest of not using any organization's subtitle already in use, I'll just go with something slightly different.

Pick&Drill Incorporated

A small sub-branch of Finster Corp, this group is focused on securing minerals and valuables for the construction giant. The company has recently been discovered as one of the largest perpetual users of slave labor, and is now hiring agents to secure materials since large numbers of mining asteroids were shut down. Money is in the mind of every Pick&Drill employee, and agents are regularly required to secure a set amount of space credits while on a mission.
Due to the prolonged undercover operation of company founder August Finster, agents are required to maintain a certain level of secrecy during all operations unless required otherwise.

Operative Notes:
Distance yourself from all Syndicate factions, though never get in their way unless required. Act with style, grace, and above all some sense of dignity. Being discovered would expose our founder, never get caught. We are publicly allied with Donk Corporation, and may work together with their members. Distrust of all other factions is advised.

Possible goals could be something like
Have x amount of y (50 diamond, 20 uranium, ect)
Secure x space credits
Steal station blueprints
Murder x, they are an activist against slave labor!
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Septavius

Post by Septavius » #5131

this reminds me of gang mode from goon, sounds fun af though.
Myroc

Post by Myroc » #5150

Lichling wrote:Sure! I'll give you guys a quick preview of Cybersun objectives.
Add stealing disks with research levels as an objective, similar to the one space ninjas get. Also stealing blueprint disks of important items. (Mech blueprints, weapon blueprints, etc.)
Characters I play:
Angel Hawke - Chief Engineer, Pacifist, Comparatively Sane
Damien Hawke - Detective, Compulsive Hero, Ladies Man
Kaylin Stern - Roboticist, Survivalist, Sociopathic Bitch
Lichling

Post by Lichling » #5241

@ Myroc. I originally had that planned until I found out you need to have ninja's gloves and I assume the rest of the set to download research for the objectives. However if another objective was made that actually tracks research levels total in a disk then I would love that seeing as it's how I thought the objective originally worked!
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #5300

I'm not sure objectives that rely on having specific people do their jobs is a good idea.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #5315

ExplosiveCrate wrote:I'm not sure objectives that rely on having specific people do their jobs is a good idea.
Never, ever rely on someone else's competence in SS13.
Ever
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #5337

Psyentific wrote:
ExplosiveCrate wrote:I'm not sure objectives that rely on having specific people do their jobs is a good idea.
Never, ever rely on someone else's competence in SS13.
Ever
This. THIS. THIS.

I've had maybe under 20 cases where other people have performed their jobs well when I've been needing something done, and I've been in THOUSANDS of SS13 games. NOBODY EVER does their fucking job.

I'm a fan of lore fluff, though, and I think it'd be nice to see some additional traitor objectives be made for each group.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #5366

More variation to traitoring would be extremely welcome. More fluff! More different objectives! I'm sure most of the players know almost all of the 16 high-risk items, and by adding more objectives maybe less metagaming (e.g. CE taking his blueprints with him) could be expected in the future.
Void Slayer
Byond Username: Void Slayer

Post by Void Slayer » #5421

Preventing most factions from getting mutual escape alone objectives would be a good idea, no reason for two operatives from the same faction to murder each other on the shuttle. Except Waffle corp of course.

Protect other is a difficult objective, maybe make it if the other person's body is destroyed you have your escape objective replaced with escape alone and the protect other objective is removed or you get their objectives also?

Or not, this is voluntary so you pick your doom I guess.

Also, humans joining SELF would be fun.
Lichling

Post by Lichling » #5473

Void Slayer wrote:Preventing most factions from getting mutual escape alone objectives would be a good idea, no reason for two operatives from the same faction to murder each other on the shuttle. Except Waffle corp of course.

Protect other is a difficult objective, maybe make it if the other person's body is destroyed you have your escape objective replaced with escape alone and the protect other objective is removed or you get their objectives also?

Or not, this is voluntary so you pick your doom I guess.

Also, humans joining SELF would be fun.

To provide more insight into some of your statements sir:

1. The escape/hijack objective and original assassinate/steal objective you get as a default traitor always stick, then 3 faction objectives are added to the mix rather it be more steal/more assassinate/custom objectives. I do this to promote certain special RP situations for faction traitors rather it be conflicting steal objectives/having to assassinate another traitor from your faction/another traitor having to kill someone part of your faction that you're being forced to protect.

2. Protect is indeed a difficult objective but it's fun! Both players who have the objective to protect each other will have their own set of objectives rather than sharing them which will promote cooperative play between faction members so you'll get the benefits of teamwork but the problems you can face if your fellow team-member is captured and facing execution..

3. Humans can join SELF, but it was meant for AI's mostly.

Currently on the server I've been testing this on/administrate for as of now I have 107 character members in Syndicate Factions. (I just counted today.)

The idea really has potential but due to my lack of coding experience/iconning skills I am very limited to what I can do to with this other than create a awesome new challenging feel for traitors with new objectives and a ranking system to keep tabs of who's the best faction and who has completed all 5 of their objectives for their benefactors the most times.

I hope more of you who want a more unique traitor experience take notice of this and start responding, only with community support from /tg/ can this have a chance at actually becoming something and I would love to help in anyway I possibly can.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #5751

Didn't Startoad right that lore bit? I remember talkign to him about he wanted to create a cybersun industries uplink with deadly cyborg augments
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Spinecone

Post by Spinecone » #5892

[Insert Ad Hominem]

Back on topic, this seems pretty damn cool, as long as you get to choose what faction you wanna be part of, maybe in a method similar to how jobs are assigned, so that you normally get what you want, but occasionally have to mix it up?
Last edited by Ikarrus on Wed May 14, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: [Insert Ad Hominem]
Lichling

Post by Lichling » #5905

@ Spinecone: Or maybe when you get traitor a box will pop up asking if you would like to represent your faction for the round Y/N? and if you select yes you will be assigned new objectives better suited to what your faction does.
Spinecone

Post by Spinecone » #5914

Lichling wrote:@ Spinecone: Or maybe when you get traitor a box will pop up asking if you would like to represent your faction for the round Y/N? and if you select yes you will be assigned new objectives better suited to what your faction does.
Oh sure, but I don't think that should work 100% of the time. It's good to push people into new scenarios once a while.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #11528

Since when are NT communists?

The gorlex marauders use old school slav tech, are you sure NT are the commies here champ? They're a gigantic capitalist megacorp straight outta muh retro future/cyberpunk fantasies, there's no way they're communists.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #11532

Until we get paid and can use the money on we are communist.
Thats generally what people say.

The company is capitalist as all-fuck, the workers are commies.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #11535

The workers get paid at the end of the shift at centcomm once they survive the gauntlet. NT hires complete idiots and pays them a shitload of money because near-immunity clones are cheap labor and it's hard to compete with a company that has cloning almost mastered and can throw their employees at rival corporations like meat shields.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #11546

Ah, but what about money on the station? If it was truly communist than we would have to pay for everything at the time we use it.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #11550

But you don't. You meant to say capitalist, which is still wrong because they're vending machines and money mid-shift really isn't conductive to gameplay and is mostly just a hassle and tedious. See: Bay money.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #11556

Yes, I did mean capitalist.

And I rather like bay money...

MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise » #11567

I dislike having to use money for vending machines, but other then that Bay's money is nice. Goons is better though.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #11574

That it is.