Dreamstation [DREAMS DON'T DIE]

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Dreamstation [DREAMS DON'T DIE]

Post by ChangelingRain » #118637

I made a map, wew:

Image is 100% updated You can click here for fullsize.

Latest Changes:
*Fixed Chaplain being unable to use massdriver door.
*Please for the love of god report bugs and other issues

Is merged now! Probably still needs testing but definitely works and isn't totally shit.

Feedback is mostly accepted, give some.
Last edited by ChangelingRain on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Dreamstation v01 [NEEDS TESTING]

Post by Scones » #118662

Things I noticed looking at the map image:
- The AI transit tube is hugely unnecessarily long; I know you like AI, and don't like getting killed by the Singularity, but the AI should be much closer
- Atmos is a reasonably secure department on other maps, not too big on the pointless reinforced windows staring into maint for no reason
- Extremely long one-wide tunnels are horrible and abundant
- Sanitarium should be closed in on all sides by walls, no windows regardless of HoS shutters
- Construct shell is a funny idea, but it will be abused the moment it's location becomes common knowledge
- Does the Cargo Bay need three airlocks? Scratch the farthest left and turn the other two into glass airlocks
- A stunbaton, even a cell-less one, is a little much

Other than that, the maint rooms are all fantastic A+, as is the entire Science wing
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #118685

I'd really miss not having freezers and heaters in sci.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #118703

Transit tube is like 10 miles long.

Medbay looks pretty but it's not as practical as it could be - you come through the lobby, then have to go across up and around, through 2 wide corridors, to get to the sleepers or cryo.

The brig is extremely fortified and hard to breach - If you can find the pictures from when bomb code changed, I'm pretty sure a synie bomb won't even reliably breach double r-walls.
On the flipside, perma is utterly unsecure. You can hack in from maint with no way for sec to see you, except for the HoS who is almost never in his office anyway.

Long ass 1 wide corridors are indeed very boring and not good for gameplay.

Arrivals will be the most utterly desolate waste land - it's down this long ass corridor with nothing else that creates any traffic what so ever.

The science sec post, unlike the other secposts, cannot see the entrance to their department - someone could walk in an murder everyone in R&D and robotics and their officer could have never seen them come in or out.
Why is there an escape pod in MAINT? Same goes for the toxin area that has the actual valves.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #118720

My thoughts:
1)Get rid of all that horrible rusty metal, it's everywhere, even in lab-clean Science.
2)The sanitorum is not longer a sealed box of rwalls on Box, but it should at least be sealed off from space.
3) That is such an awful bridge I mean what even and why.
4) I love the Vault.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•
ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #118755

Alright, fixed most of those:
  • The AI core is now much close to engineering, with an accordingly shorter tube
  • The sanitarium now has less windows and the door opens into the prison wing area instead of the prison wing access
  • I can't make arrivals less desolate without pretty big changes to the layout, and, if such is needed at all, that'd be a way later thing
  • The armory is now a lot less hard to breach into; It has only one layer of rwalls and part of that layer is open to space
  • Science sec post can now see into R&D and the entrance
  • There's a heater in toxins mixing now, it already had a freezer
  • Replaced the middle cargo bay airlock with a tinted window
  • There's an escape pod in maint because putting one in engineering would mean that overall area would have three pods, and, uh, science escape pod, sure
  • There are a lot less 1-wide maint corridors, though there are still a few
  • I'll update the map image sometime, probably wednesday or so Wew did that look at it
  • If you want to see changes just download the map and yell at me once you discover some of those secrets
Last edited by ChangelingRain on Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
metacide
Byond Username: Metacide

Post by metacide » #118763

Only had a quick look in passing, but it looks like an excellent bit of work, particularly if it''s the first map you've ever made. Lots of the areas look very aesthetically nice, very polished, very neat. It's big, with long corridors, and I think that'll be the only significant difficulty people will have with it compared to box - but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, and for highpop that should work pretty well.

MULE derived taxi service when though?

Will have a proper look later to give some feedback, but I very much look forward to this being trialled on Sibyl sometime with a full crew. Knowing a little about how long it must have taken to put this all together, really fine effort!
MetaStation is currently running by vote or by default on both Sibyl and Basil
Feedback and suggestions are welcome in the MetaStation thread
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #118773

I used to try to run MULEbot taxi gimmicks all the time but aside from one guy trying to break in to the brig and another AI who wanted his core to go on parade no one ever took me up on it
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
JackHunt
Byond Username: JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #118776

Excellent map! It really nails the same aesthetic as Box while being very distinctly, not Box. Some of your rooms are very original and the setup of departments like command or Science is really pleasing. Your maint rooms are nice but the maint itself is rather boring. If you can try to make a few more twists and turns or otherwise bump the width in some areas to 2 to allow for more variety in items and pathing. There's going to be some huge dead-zones in terms of player traffic but it'll take a playtest to really tell if they work or not. I would remove the rust walls since they kinda don't look good. It's not your fault, it's just that the spriting is kinda jarring next to normal ones. I agree that a construct shell is not a good idea for loot. Even fairly mundane things like insulated gloves can make great loot. Keep up the great work!
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #118780

"Secure high-risk areas should not be secure"

Sad to see you caved to the retards, I had hope
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #118795

Scones wrote:"Secure high-risk areas should not be secure"

What are you even talking about? Everything that should be secure is.

This is a good map worthy of testing.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #118879

One thing to consider is that the hallways need a couple of glass airlocks to compartmentalise them a bit more, since there are fewer corners. As it is, you can fire an LMG down the hall after breaching the brig and kill the captain outside medbay.
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•
ChangelingRain

Re: Dreamstation v02 [NEEDS TESTING]

Post by ChangelingRain » #119113

I remember saying I was going to update the map image, so I did that! Look at it, it's not hugely outdated!
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #119133

Pirou (655) MrStonedOne: <Miauw> you should testrun some of the new maps in the spriting and mapping section, ESPECIALLY birdboatstation for basil
MrStonedOne They need to be pr'ed, so I can just use that
MrStonedOne because of the whole live tracking from github thing, its not easy to make local changes
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #119140

Miauw wrote:
Pirou (655) MrStonedOne: <Miauw> you should testrun some of the new maps in the spriting and mapping section, ESPECIALLY birdboatstation for basil
MrStonedOne They need to be pr'ed, so I can just use that
MrStonedOne because of the whole live tracking from github thing, its not easy to make local changes
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/11819
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Post by Supermichael777 » #119141

put a wall next to the mulebot zone next to sec locker room insted of two sets of flaps. i know flaps block air via BLACK MAGIC but it will be used to space people. also it looks ugly.
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume Iโ€™m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because theyโ€™re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I donโ€™t follow.
pidey
Byond Username: Lordpidey

Post by pidey » #119187

Huh, neat. I see a couple of problems from looking at the map though.

The atmos room outside of Virology seems to be setup wrong.
The maintainance to the east of the HoP's office has blue wires, while the rest of the station has green wires.
I'd remove the uranium from the mining shuttle bay. Uranium is too powerful for 3 minutes into the round.
Could you switch the loading and unloading docs on the cargo shuttle?
I don't see any lights in the mini maint rooms between toxins and the bomb kit room, and the bomb testing range launcher.
There's no reason to have the disposals from the turbine go in such a winding path to space, just replace that entire pipe segment with A short pipe that just goes straight north from the bin.

But aside from those issues, it looks like it has great potential.
ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #119214

pidey wrote:Huh, neat. I see a couple of problems from looking at the map though.

The atmos room outside of Virology seems to be setup wrong.
The maintainance to the east of the HoP's office has blue wires, while the rest of the station has green wires.
I'd remove the uranium from the mining shuttle bay. Uranium is too powerful for 3 minutes into the round.
Could you switch the loading and unloading docs on the cargo shuttle?
I don't see any lights in the mini maint rooms between toxins and the bomb kit room, and the bomb testing range launcher.
There's no reason to have the disposals from the turbine go in such a winding path to space, just replace that entire pipe segment with A short pipe that just goes straight north from the bin.

But aside from those issues, it looks like it has great potential.
In order;

The pipe you're thinking is a three-way manifold is a four-way manifold, though I'll probably move that light so it's less confusing
Yeah it's blue because I did colored wires for each department for reasons I can't exactly remember.
You're probably right but I'm just gonna try it out and see how rapidly it breaks everything.
I could switch those, but it'd mean it'd need a dedicated z2 just for that(even though it does have one already, it only needs it because of a bug)
Entirely intentional though open to change
There is a reason it's that long, and it's the white ship, though I'll be shortening so that it's on the other side of the solar.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #119261

Scones wrote:"Secure high-risk areas should not be secure"

this is an absolutely retarded comment to make, I honestly assumed you were trolling at first, but if this is the general security player perspective then it's clear to me that security needs several more nerfs in the pain train to keep them where they belong.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #119266

You made the change to the armoury back wall, but now the normal gear room right next to it is MORE SECURE in comparison. Honk.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #119358

Preparing a pictorial review of the station
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #119388

This is only tangentially related to this map in particular but I feel like the big "THIS MAP IS PLAYING BECAUSE THE PLAYERS VOTED FOR IT" announcement is more inflammatory than anything since at any given time the number of players actually in game is significantly lower than the number of people who over the course of the day will actually experience the map.

Just say you're testing a map, you don't need to imply box is bad (because it's not).

As for this map, haven't taken a good hard look, but I did notice one thing.

On map clusterbang/10
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!โ„ข
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #119397

Based on 2 minutes of looking at this map I'd say having the singularity (that thing that escapes every other round) right next to the arrival shuttle is a terrible idea, and having the armoury in that position seems like it's piss easy to break into now.
ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #119417

Incoming wrote:This is only tangentially related to this map in particular but I feel like the big "THIS MAP IS PLAYING BECAUSE THE PLAYERS VOTED FOR IT" announcement is more inflammatory than anything since at any given time the number of players actually in game is significantly lower than the number of people who over the course of the day will actually experience the map.

Just say you're testing a map, you don't need to imply box is bad (because it's not).

As for this map, haven't taken a good hard look, but I did notice one thing.

On map clusterbang/10
The "THIS MAP IS PLAYING BECAUSE THE PLAYERS VOTED FOR IT" wasn't my doing, that was MSO.
I didn't exactly like it either.

It's a clustercleaner and it's prooobably going to go away.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #119430

Nonsense, metastation has a top secret cluster bang and it rarely ever gets abused
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Nexendia
Byond Username: Nexendia

Post by Nexendia » #119481

This map is beautiful +1
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #121829

Just from what I've seen of it in the pictures AND from actually playing it, I don't think this is a very good map for main server use. The hallways have a nonsensical layout, with illogical department locations (I'm not just saying because I'm unfamiliar with the map). Maint is massive and pointless except for the sake of having maint because 'hue maint is good', there is NO reason that maint should be like this. We saw Eff 1 maint, and while this isn't quite that bad, it needs to be toned down to where the maint tunnels are actually needed.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #121834

NOW'S FEEDBACK

- Internal bridge doors (with the blastdoors underneath them) vanish when opened, magically reappear when they close by themselves.
- Bridge tile colours are off - green tiles where blue tiles should be, blue tiles where green tiles should be. Blue is a medbay colour, green is a command colour.
Would've been more, but singularity & five cryostings ten minutes into the shift.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #121840

Bawhoppennn wrote:
The departments are carefully placed to ensure traffic instead of for efficiency and I guess you don't like that. Maint is pretty restrained, though, it's by and large basically box maint.
AnonymousNow wrote:
Ah yes, door layering. I'll fix it.
I can't fix the bridge colors because there's only one dark and blue colored tile and green is NOT a command color(even if it used to be). Command and medbay both have blue and medbay used to be green so ยฏ\_(ใƒ„)_/ยฏ
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #121845

Anonus wrote: The departments are carefully placed to ensure traffic instead of for efficiency and I guess you don't like that. Maint is pretty restrained, though, it's by and large basically box maint.
Just because the layout looks good and efficient on paper, doesn't mean it performs well in practice.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #121851

Bawhoppennn wrote:
Anonus wrote: The departments are carefully placed to ensure traffic instead of for efficiency and I guess you don't like that. Maint is pretty restrained, though, it's by and large basically box maint.
Just because the layout looks good and efficient on paper, doesn't mean it performs well in practice.
I'm... not sure how that's related? It's intentionally inefficient and placed so that, generally, the left half of the station is the most populated side, and the right is more, but not entirely, deserted.
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #121857

Anonus wrote: I'm... not sure how that's related? It's intentionally inefficient and placed so that, generally, the left half of the station is the most populated side, and the right is more, but not entirely, deserted.
I'm sorry, I got a bit confused what you meant there. But the point is I still don't like the /feel/ of the layout.

allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #121865

There is never justification for having science and medbay separate, regardless of how much you want to direct traffic. Look at Cogmap, which has Medbay and Science side by side, and the map still has equal distribution of commodities or departments.
The day that the retarded "science and medbay being apart" experiment dies is the day that shitty maps like yours finally die out and legitimately intutive or talented individuals can take the stage.
ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #121885

allura wrote:There is never justification for having science and medbay separate, regardless of how much you want to direct traffic. Look at Cogmap, which has Medbay and Science side by side, and the map still has equal distribution of commodities or departments.
The day that the retarded "science and medbay being apart" experiment dies is the day that shitty maps like yours finally die out and legitimately intutive or talented individuals can take the stage.
Next time I'll just remove science, so that there isn't a science to keep away from medbay.
Spoiler:
You're a nerd, nerd!
I don't actually know why science is close to medbay anyway the only thing that keeps them together is genetics and genetics is more or less a medbay thing
allura

Post by allura » #121892

Both RnD and Robotics need a fair supply of acid from chemistry. Having to walk across the station for such a trivial part of the process is stupid.
metacide
Byond Username: Metacide

Post by metacide » #122014

Glorious.

The janitor needs a bucket in their office for transferring water and such.

More importantly we need lots more live testing of this, it's so neat and it feels like it came out of nowhere.

Keep up the good work!
MetaStation is currently running by vote or by default on both Sibyl and Basil
Feedback and suggestions are welcome in the MetaStation thread
ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #122018

metacide wrote:The janitor needs a bucket in their office for transferring water and such.
Did I really forget the bucket. Shit, I did. Fixed now. Also fixed a bunch of unrelated issues, finally.
Also if that's really all the bad feedback you found to give then I think I've done well
Celdur
Byond Username: Celdurr

Post by Celdur » #122073

I have a few things.
First of all, it looks nice, good job. I like security in particular, them tiles I guess.

But the whole station does feel like a reshufle of box.
All the departments are in different places, but they all have the same sort of layout, with the bar being an exception.
I don't mean that the departments are literal copies of box station, but they have the same sort of flow to them.
I mean, chemistry, R&D and robotics being next to the entrance makes sense, because people want to have access to those places.
But for the most part, everything else is the same as box as well, and there is no reason for it other than that you're used to it being that way.
That's not really a flaw per se, but it does kind of defeat the purpose a little bit.

Also, you might want to protect the gravgen a bit more, seems a bit too easy to crack.

And what do you expect will happen here.

Assistants will have cage matches here just to decide who can bust the wall first.
You can expect that to happen every round.

And what is going on with this?

I guess that just needs a wall to fix it.

And finally, maint is a bit too much in my opinion.
A lot of people like clutured crazy maint, but I feel like there should be a balance, and you have really gone overboard.

Oh, and I agree with Allura that having sci and med apart is just going to make things more tedious.
Its not going to make scientists go on brave adventures filled with excitement, it is going to make people want to do R&D even less.
Doesn't make the whole map invalid though, just makes things more tedious.

That's all I could come up with. I could probably find a few more things if I spend more time looking at it, but whatever.
Overall its bretty gud.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #122193

allura wrote:There is never justification for having science and medbay separate, regardless of how much you want to direct traffic. Look at Cogmap, which has Medbay and Science side by side, and the map still has equal distribution of commodities or departments.
Pssst

If there was a super-race of "legitimately intuitive" and "legitimately talented" individuals waiting in the wings for people to stop trying to make scientists ever leave their retarded autism forts (You can easily get to an infinite supply of acid with just the 50u starter beaker, I've never seen a scientist ask a chemist for acid in at least ten months.), I think we'd have heard from them by now.

Oh and also you're a hyperbolic tit who's too busy screeching about the poor Feng Shui and bad Chi energy buildup in other people's maps to ever get off your ass and do more than the preliminary hashout work for whatever the hell you're calling the sixth revision of your own map.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #122213

Yeah holy shit who died and made you the grand master of objectively correct map design.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Snerdly
Byond Username: Snerdly

Post by Snerdly » #122260

I like this, a lot. However, I do like how on metastation and I think box, virology and xenobiology feel like completely detached parts of the station. Pretty fun traitoring as a viro when you've got a little mini fortress complete with prison cells and your own air system.
allura

Post by allura » #122387

Dismissing all of my opinions as "screeching" shows that thus far, you've proven to do nothing other than attempt to swoop in and defend all amateur mappers from everything I say, even when it's valid or the mapper themselves acknowledges me as correct. I would rather give feedback to mappers than actually make my own station for a community I'm not all that involved with.

Considering almost every bad map that's cropped up in the past few months to a year has shared the same theme of absolutely no foresight in department placement, of course I'm going to be embittered to dumbass decisions like the separation of medical and science. The game has always relied on departmental dynamic, such as security and command, engineering and atmospherics, and medical and science. Alienating people to the most basic rules of the game for the hence of arbitrary "traffic division" is shitty mapping. A mapper's job isn't to railroad the player into painful awkwardness that way they'll always be seeing every part of their absolutely fucking perfect map, it's to provide a playing field in which people enjoy moving about in, for its convenience or aesthetic appeal. If we really needed players to be split up across a fuckhuge station, why is TGstation the most popular map? Oh yeah, it's because all important things are in one small area, so that means more chaos happens when people are packed so tightly together.

Pushing boundaries is one of the most vital things to the progression of a game, but whenever you're pushing boundaries that risk people playing the map vs people who not playing it, then it's not worth the risk. It's smarter to experiment with smaller aspects such as placement of individual rooms or changing up smaller areas/adding new ones altogether (for example, adding an arcade to dorms or a swimming pool) but when you're absolutely overhauling the flow of the game for the sake of your map, you're creating something that just isn't fit for test running. This map would work better to a crowd totally unaware of the dynamic between medical and science, and people would grow used to the walk. Sadly, since this is a community that's been used to absolute convenience and everything being right out your doorstep for like 3 or 4 years now, you're just asking for trouble.
ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #122408

allura wrote:Dismissing all of my opinions as "screeching" shows that thus far, you've proven to do nothing other than attempt to swoop in and defend all amateur mappers from everything I say, even when it's valid or the mapper themselves acknowledges me as correct. I would rather give feedback to mappers than actually make my own station for a community I'm not all that involved with.

Considering almost every bad map that's cropped up in the past few months to a year has shared the same theme of absolutely no foresight in department placement, of course I'm going to be embittered to dumbass decisions like the separation of medical and science. The game has always relied on departmental dynamic, such as security and command, engineering and atmospherics, and medical and science. Alienating people to the most basic rules of the game for the hence of arbitrary "traffic division" is shitty mapping. A mapper's job isn't to railroad the player into painful awkwardness that way they'll always be seeing every part of their absolutely fucking perfect map, it's to provide a playing field in which people enjoy moving about in, for its convenience or aesthetic appeal. If we really needed players to be split up across a fuckhuge station, why is TGstation the most popular map? Oh yeah, it's because all important things are in one small area, so that means more chaos happens when people are packed so tightly together.

Pushing boundaries is one of the most vital things to the progression of a game, but whenever you're pushing boundaries that risk people playing the map vs people who not playing it, then it's not worth the risk. It's smarter to experiment with smaller aspects such as placement of individual rooms or changing up smaller areas/adding new ones altogether (for example, adding an arcade to dorms or a swimming pool) but when you're absolutely overhauling the flow of the game for the sake of your map, you're creating something that just isn't fit for test running. This map would work better to a crowd totally unaware of the dynamic between medical and science, and people would grow used to the walk. Sadly, since this is a community that's been used to absolute convenience and everything being right out your doorstep for like 3 or 4 years now, you're just asking for trouble.
What the fuck does departmental dynamic mean?

Also, that entire post is basically fucking useless to me, as the mapper, because it's not feedback(that I can practically act on) besides "But my science needs acid from chemistry, as if the beaker and portable chem dispenser wasn't enough acid already"
allura

Post by allura » #122526

Anonus wrote:What the fuck does departmental dynamic mean?

Also, that entire post is basically fucking useless to me, as the mapper, because it's not feedback(that I can practically act on) besides "But my science needs acid from chemistry, as if the beaker and portable chem dispenser wasn't enough acid already"
Departmental dynamic is how different sections of the station interact. If no one interacted, we wouldn't have a game.

My feedback doesn't apply to your map, it applies to your concept of mapping in general. I don't have any words for the station you've already finished, because I don't really find it appallingly bad or that impressive either. It's just advice for if you ever plan to do any large overhauls a la Box's new medical and science, etc.
Nexendia
Byond Username: Nexendia

Post by Nexendia » #122549

muh not important important feedback

This map is still fucking amazing please make this a box killer! ;)
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #122757

All of this feedback was from my first two rounds on Dreamstation, where plasma was flooded and the singularity released on one and a blob showed up on the other. Please take everything with a grain of salt.

Here's the problems I have with this map:
  1. Lack of oxygen closets. There are very few emergency closets in departments and almost none in the hallways.
  2. Things aren't placed logically. For Science to get things from Medical, they have to traverse a very long distance, despite their interreliance.
  3. The huge corridors. It makes walking a huge chore, and the constant dead ends are terrible design.
  4. No Medbay exit button from inside the Medbay itself.
  5. The Bar backroom is very dark, even with all lights lit
Now, here's the things I like about it:
  1. The bar has a lot of room for cocktails.
  2. The shuttle's orientation changes when it launches. Very cool.
  3. Maintenance is roomy.
It has a lot of potential, but it just has a lot of flaws, and most players don't feel like switching from Box. If this were made permanent on Sybil, I'd play it, but I'd prefer Box or Metastation.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #122858

Lawyers can access the security wardrobe locks next to the warden's office.

feature
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #122863

- Armory walls that don't border security need a space moat. This wouldn't be an issue if that area was higher traffic. Maybe move the escape pod into that space?
- Does the HoS have a gun charger in their office?
- Bridge needs a second entrance.
- Lawyer needs access to interrogation shutter controls because reasons.
- More hallway alcoves with O2 lockers and places to take cover.
- The security wardrobe lockers need to be in the equipment room. They're too accessible. Ditto for the gun chargers.
- What's going on with those plastic flaps into the security equipment room?
- Disposals stacking machine control needs to be accessible without standing on a conveyor
- You could ease some pain for medbay<->science travel by adding a hallway between library and EVA or between bar and gravgen.
- EDIT: The upload airlock needs to be two tiles wide, but also maybe just a single airlock instead of a double.

Re: More alcoves:
- Move the windows outside AI Upload 1 tile west
- Move south wall of captain's bathroom 1 tile north
- AI upload maint north and south have room to add an alcove
- The maint north across the hall from Primary tool storage has room for an alcove
- Maint just west of chemistry has room
- Expand the atmos ports in the hallway south a few tiles and move the maint access 1 tile west
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #122892

Please replace the Plasmaman suit for the RD with this: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/12098
"/obj/machinery/suit_storage_unit/rd" is the part for it!
ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #122914

I'll just address the stuff I haven't changed, in order;
Science and medbay aren't close because I don't have the time to try and, say, swap engineering and medical and I'm not sure I want to
I'm sorry for everything huge-corridor related but I made this map off of a dream and very little mapping experience so
The bridge has three entrances, from bridge storage,(which is bridge access) the captain's office, and the bridge hallway
The wardrobes and chargers being there is a feature
The disposals machine controls are accessible without being on a belt, you can access them from the switch to the left
The only alcove I didn't add was the chemistry one