Mice Eating Wires

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
TheWulfe
Byond Username: TheWulfe

Mice Eating Wires

Post by TheWulfe » #130249

So why is this a thing? It isn't immersive, it literally exists just to be annoying for no reason.
Malkevin

Re: Mice Eating Wires

Post by Malkevin » #130252

What? Someone thought adding NPC greyshit griffon wire gremlins was a good idea?
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #130255

>Engineers ever doing station maintenance.
Mime: Depresso
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #130260

It seems the mice fry themselves on the grid when they chew a wire. If they die so frequently like this then how is there even a population of them in the first place? This is a pretty annoying change
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #130271

If the mice mostly bred and only occasionally bit wires making hunting them down before there is a wire chomping horde be useful.

That isn't the case though it is just a finite make work mechanic.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #130273

Yeah. I was doing some emitter stuff in cargo when all of a sudden -BWOOOONG- the power goes out. This is awful.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
invisty

Post by invisty » #130277

Have them start off spaced far apart on the station, but capable of breeding like the chickens/corgis if a guy and a girl mouse manage to find their way to each other.

Can you imagine the benign-traitoring potential?
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #130280

Personally I think it's a great feature.
Wyzack wrote:It seems the mice fry themselves on the grid when they chew a wire. If they die so frequently like this then how is there even a population of them in the first place? This is a pretty annoying change
It's not frequent at all. Very low chance of happening per round.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #130335

I like mice chewing wires. Leave it in.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
asskek
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Asskek

Post by asskek » #130341

WE NEED MICE BREEDING
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #130387

shut up mice cool
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #130401

>nerds doing engineering projects in cargo
>didn't get a backup smes

pathetic
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #130436

Holy shit its almost like it actually pays now to wire the solars and not have all power come from 1 point.

Its almost like engineers have to DO things now.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #130442

You know the power grid is forked not looped, right?

Mouse bites one of the artery cables (which all run in maint) and half the station gets blacked out.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #130451

Malkevin wrote:You know the power grid is forked not looped, right?

Mouse bites one of the artery cables (which all run in maint) and half the station gets blacked out.
Rerouting around breaches/cuts or rewiring to subvert those risks is fun (for me at least).
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #130477

Horrible. Just busywork, not caused by people ingame, and the way the wiring works means that the mice WILL cut core cables, and the % chance per mouse cycle is ridiculously high.

There's nothing good about it.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #130479

Every round I've played has had them cutting cables.

It gets even worse on those alternative stations with a lot of mice in maint.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #130502

>WAH WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO 5 MINUTES INTO OUR SHIFT CALL THE SHUTTLE

>ok heres something to do, monitor powerflow from the computer and find any nicks in the wires

>WAH THIS IS BUSYWORK I WANNA DIE

just remove power and engineers from the game, all they do nowadays is fuck up the singularity 3 minutes into the round and make themselves stunprods to valid hunt
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #130512

Mice chewing wires is pretty great. Actually needing to do something past setting up the sing and wiring the solars is fun.
>cargonians whining about losing power to their emitters.
You have insulateds and maint access. Go fix it yourself you lazy ass. There's literally just one tiny bit of maint that could cause it.
asskek
In Game PermaBanned

Post by asskek » #130515

it's all good guys
im coding mouse breeding
TheWulfe

Post by TheWulfe » #130536

I think most of you are missing the point.

This isn't the 'X occupation should do something' thread. And even if it was,

1. Busywork for no reason is dumb
2. Work should be induced by player interaction
3. You can be a hell of a lot more creative things than lolrandumb wire gremlins

This is literally the dumbest 'little thing' that has ever been added to this game. I'm actually surprised by the amount of playerbase that actually considers this an OK thing to have, and hope to god your opinion isn't valued near anything gameplay related ever again.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #130547

Meteor event, lights breaking event, scrubbers event.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #130551

maps could use some more cross links in the powernet though to make it a BIT more robust.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
asskek
In Game PermaBanned

Post by asskek » #130552

TheWulfe wrote:I think most of you are missing the point.

This isn't the 'X occupation should do something' thread. And even if it was,

1. Busywork for no reason is dumb
2. Work should be induced by player interaction
3. You can be a hell of a lot more creative things than lolrandumb wire gremlins

This is literally the dumbest 'little thing' that has ever been added to this game. I'm actually surprised by the amount of playerbase that actually considers this an OK thing to have, and hope to god your opinion isn't valued near anything gameplay related ever again.
jesus dude that last bit is fukken HARSH
also they're not lolrandumb
they're mice
it makes perfect sense
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #130554

You know they die when they eat a wire, right? All it means is you have to listen for power alerts and go fix a wire.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #130561

All the more reason to purge the non-humans that infest maintenance.

Whoops! I meant kill the mice, cyborg, not the lizardmen.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #130576

This is one of the worst changes since bloody footprints being brought back.

Engineers are some of the worst players on the station, demanding they actually do their job or risking station wide power outages is BAD.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #130598

And soon they shall BREED.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #130599

ShadowDimentio wrote:This is one of the worst changes since bloody footprints being brought back.

Engineers are some of the worst players on the station, demanding they actually do their job or risking station wide power outages is BAD.

Pretty much this.

It's hard to motivate engineers to even set up the engine at times, and you expect them to run around fixing wires?

I'd do it myself when I play assistant as I spend 3/4s of my time in maint anyway, but there's so few legitimate insulated gloves on board nowadays, especially if you don't steal the pair from tech storage or someone beats you to using a coin on the machine, that I physically can't repair the wiring.

Oh, and cargo won't hand their precious gloves out.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #130603

It could motivate the janitor if the mice did something other than EXTERMINATE THEMSELVES.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #130605

If we ran Metastation 90% of the time instead of Box this would be an okay-ish change since there are so many more insulated gloves there. On Box? Fuck this.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #130620

My only question is does the mouse take damage like a person not wearing gloves when biting a wire with +100kW flowing through it? On rounds where I'm given free reign in Engineering it can easily be 2 million or more. That little mouse should instantly be cooked and edible by someone who doesn't mine charred meat if he bites a main wire in my set up.
Zilenan91 wrote:If we ran Metastation 90% of the time instead of Box this would be an okay-ish change since there are so many more insulated gloves there. On Box? Fuck this.
Uh, what? Gloves aren't common at first, no, but they aren't completely off limits. If Cargo/Mining has done their jobs even remotely half assed they should be able to get 30+ sets of insuls within the first half hour of round start.

Fixing this is incredibly easy too since you can use a multi tool on a wire to check the power. If you know SMES are outputting and you get reports on one side of the station that APCs aren't charging or low, all you have to do is find the unpowered wire and follow it to the cut. I could understand if people were arguing for something akin to a floor bot that could repair wires, but crying over this is just pathetic. It's not like there aren't mouse traps and 10+ bored assistants and the janitor every round.

Not only that, this just makes hacking a LOT easier since no power in the line makes the door shocking almost a non-issue, a devious little greyshit can cut all the power wires and start crowbaring doors open everywhere in the cut as a ghetto access for anyone.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #130632

No, the issue isn't that cargo can get that many gloves, it's that they won't hand them out to the people that would even bother fixing the wires.

And you need gloves now to put down wires unless both sides are unpowered.
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #130678

i kinda like it. It's a pretty neat way to cause damage without relying on traitors. But the wires near engineering feed half the station each. Perhaps there should be more lines going out of engineering, say one to cargo, one to arrivals, one to security, one to command, one to services, one to medbay and one to science. This way if a wire is cut, only one department loses power.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #130685

Davidchan wrote:My only question is does the mouse take damage like a person not wearing gloves when biting a wire with +100kW flowing through it? On rounds where I'm given free reign in Engineering it can easily be 2 million or more. That little mouse should instantly be cooked and edible by someone who doesn't mine charred meat if he bites a main wire in my set up.
Yes, they toast if the cable is powered.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #130786

This is nothing but an annoyance which serves no purpose which improves the actual game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #130791

Getting a bit less annoying now that people are getting used to it. I just punch a couple mice during my roundstart assistant maintcrawl and the problem is more or less resolved.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #130860

firecage wrote:This is nothing but an annoyance which serves no purpose which improves the actual game.
If it gets in the way of valids it has no reason to exist, am I right?
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #130912

Scott wrote:
firecage wrote:This is nothing but an annoyance which serves no purpose which improves the actual game.
Power going out doesnt hinder me murdering people at all though. It hinders the civillian stuff.

In fact I dragged a ling to xenobio to feed it instead of burn it and did have to "valid" it after mice broke the wires and knocked out power to the room.

I think people are overreacting to the change but "lol validhunters" isnt a good response to feedback
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #130929

Kor wrote:
Scott wrote:
Power going out doesnt hinder me murdering people at all though. It hinders the civillian stuff.

In fact I dragged a ling to xenobio to feed it instead of burn it and did have to "valid" it after mice broke the wires and knocked out power to the room.

I think people are overreacting to the change but "lol validhunters" isnt a good response to feedback
that was a shot at the fact that firecage greys every round, harasses the HOP line, then suicides if there isn't a gangrevolutioncult more than mice annoying powergamers I think
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #130944

Poor powersinks continue to get worse and worse.
TheWulfe

Post by TheWulfe » #130981

This is the pinnacle of the bad side of our 'Merge features just to have more features' philosophy.

What is the reason for adding this?

This isn't making engineer fun or adding anything to game.
asskek
In Game PermaBanned

Post by asskek » #130983

TheWulfe wrote:This is the pinnacle of the bad side of our 'Merge features just to have more features' philosophy.

what is the reason for meteors
invisty

Post by invisty » #130985

TheWulfe wrote:This isn't making engineer fun or adding anything to game.
That's an opinion, and you're not providing any reasons to back it up so it's effectively worthless until you do so.

Reasons I like this change:
  • It adds meta-obfuscation to power failure by sabotage: You don't know immediately whether or not an antagonist or mouse is fucking with your wires.
  • It gives more maintenance work for engineers. They don't have enough to do as it stands, and engineering is the epitome of run-around maintenance.
  • I find the task of searching out faults in the station's systems to be enjoyable, because it is problem-solving, and I enjoy problem-solving. Your mileage may vary.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #130993

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
Kor wrote:
Scott wrote:

that was a shot at the fact that firecage greys every round, harasses the HOP line, then suicides if there isn't a gangrevolutioncult more than mice annoying powergamers I think
Dorsi, kindly, fuck off with your over-generalization.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #131007

asskek wrote:
TheWulfe wrote:This is the pinnacle of the bad side of our 'Merge features just to have more features' philosophy.

what is the reason for meteors
they create potentially life threatening hazards and tense situations by making breaches

i have a fond story in particular where one time i was a cultist in cargo and we were ordering tasers, but suddenly meteors happened
one meteor tore into cargo and blew a huge crater right in the middle, scattering us
i grabbed the tasers crate (which was locked and nobody had access to) and ran off to maint, to the crusher room, thinking i would be safe there
when suddenly ANOTHER METEOR flies in and blows up just inches away from me! luckily i was okay, aside from some burn damage.
then i realized that the meteor blew open the tasers crate. score!

i'll leave out the rest of the story, but meteors created that fond memory
what fond memories can mice chewing wires create aside from "my powersink didnt work" or "there was no power in medbay for a minute"
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #131012

Lack of power can certainly throw the balance of the game, especially during stuff like Rev or Gang rounds where people are making strongholds. RNG mousebite can cut power, and your medbay revfort wont be any good when it loses power. Mouse chews are just a very low key version of meteors if you ask me, do they add excitement, not really, but they help keep the crew and security on their toes, and give the janitor, engineers or bored assistants something to do if they want to actively avoid their favorite parts of the station getting screwed over. Or, an assistant can go full greyshit and gather up lots of mice into a particular maint tunnel and wait for them to start chewing.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #131080

Yes, they're a bit like oil spills or broken cameras or smashed lights. They don't add something obviously helpful, but they do contribute to station aesthetic and a need for partial maintenance.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #131083

But oil spills, broken cameras, and smashed lights don't utterly fuck people over. At worst, they're a minor annoyance, but a lack of power can make people totally unable to do their jobs, and if there's no yellow gloves or engineers nearby, you're fucked.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #131133

Is it really that hard to notice a red APC and say something about it?

It takes a long ass time for APCs to discharge.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.