1%
Other (comment below)
1%

Total votes: 189

peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

[POLL] Hotkey/No Hotkey

Post by peoplearestrange » #1157

So purely out of curiosity how many of you use hotkeys (and therefore WASD) and how many of you use the ol' arrow key method?
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Re: Hotkey/No Hotkey

Post by Munchlax » #1159

You have a slight advantage with hotkeys so I use them.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #1165

Hotkeys are for fucking plebians. No Hotkeys allows you to fast-type, and the primary benefits of hotkeys are available through non-hotkeys with the PgUp/Insert keygroup.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #1167

I use WASD and quickly press tab to change to normal, type say then what I want to say, enter, then chance back. I can do it without even thinking about it.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
Myroc

Post by Myroc » #1169

I use hotkeys to the extent that I sometimes forget that the option to play without them exists.
Characters I play:
Angel Hawke - Chief Engineer, Pacifist, Comparatively Sane
Damien Hawke - Detective, Compulsive Hero, Ladies Man
Kaylin Stern - Roboticist, Survivalist, Sociopathic Bitch
fleure
Byond Username: Fleure

Post by fleure » #1177

Arrow keys. Never bothered to learn the keys.
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.
Apsis

Post by Apsis » #1179

I use hotkeys, but I sometimes use arrow keys while I'm observing a round. I rarely have a need to type when I'm moving anyway.
Gadd

Post by Gadd » #1190

Hotkeys make you more robust.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #1201

master race of arrow keys + delete, home, end, pg up, pg dwn and still be able to type on the fly

all others a shit
you're gonna carry that weight
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #1219

You know you can use wasd

and press t to talk?

If you're not a shit typer you are just as fast.
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #1221

I cant get into the hotkeys by the time I even found out about em I was dead set into arrow keys. ( I actually freaked because I got confused by accidently turning on the hotkeys which is how I found out about em )
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #1227

TheTerbs wrote:master race of arrow keys + delete, home, end, pg up, pg dwn and still be able to type on the fly

all others a shit
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #1242

Jalleo wrote:I cant get into the hotkeys by the time I even found out about em I was dead set into arrow keys. ( I actually freaked because I got confused by accidently turning on the hotkeys which is how I found out about em )
I have pretty much the exact same story... "AHHH IM MOVING AND I NEED TO TYPE!"
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Post by Aurx » #1281

I've memorized most of the auto-complete shortcuts for admin commands and in-game verbs, so it's more efficient for me to use normal mode. It's like having every button in every tab available within half a dozen keystrokes.
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #1287

Aurx wrote:I've memorized most of the auto-complete shortcuts for admin commands and in-game verbs, so it's more efficient for me to use normal mode. It's like having every button in every tab available within half a dozen keystrokes.
This. sa -> say, sui -> Suit sensors, but also Rotate. Half my robustness comes from my hotkeys and shortcuts.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #1303

Used to use Arrow Keys + mouse in left hand for all my games. Since Xmas i got a mouse that is shaped for right-handers, ive had to switch to WASD. Its pretty annoying. Ive had to stop playing most online games because i suck as using WASD + right hand for mouse movement.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #1305

Are you some kind of left-handed plebian?
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #1310

Yes, yes i am. The shame.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #1313

Hot keys make you more robust.

FACT.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
fleure
Byond Username: Fleure

Post by fleure » #1334

I'm left handed and use arrow keys with mouse in my left for over a decade, now. Always worked fine for me.
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #1337

fleure wrote:I'm left handed and use arrow keys with mouse in my left for over a decade, now. Always worked fine for me.
Until you play other games that do not support the use of arrow keys. Such a pain.
Rockdtben
Site Admin
Byond Username: Rockdtben
Github Username: Rockdtben

Post by Rockdtben » #1352

I use arrows with the Insert,Home,Pgup,Pgdown,End,del hotkeys. Along with shift alt ctrl.
Custom Software Solutions, Mentorship, and game development ----> Main Site
Game Master: 03/24/2022 - Now || Domain Holder: 04/15/2014 - 03/24/2022 || Code Project Lead: 02/01/2014 - 10/07/2014 || G-Admin: 12/29/2013 - 04/04/2015 || T-Admin: 3/29/2013 - 12/29/2013 || Codermin: ? - 3/29/2013 || Started Playing: 6/13/2006 || "Took no shit from shitters" - MrStonedOne
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #1354

The hotkeys are a bit shit. WASD to move and then you have hand controls on ZXC, it's a mess. I tried to make the change but it's just not good.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #1357

ITT: a bunch of people who don't know all the hot keys explaining about downsides that don't exist
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #1363

I fail to see the issue with WASD hotkeys. Why would anyone call them shit? WASD are the most popular keys for movement after all. I mean id like to see fully rebindable keys, if they are not already, but that is it.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #1372

Alex Crimson wrote:I fail to see the issue with WASD hotkeys. Why would anyone call them shit? WASD are the most popular keys for movement after all. I mean id like to see fully rebindable keys, if they are not already, but that is it.
My issue is that it defaults all keyboard input to the interface, rather than the command line. Without switching out of hotkey mode, I cannot quickly access Say, OOC, A-Help, Suit Sensors, or any of the other myriad commands. Hotkey mode is great for robusting, but bad if you actually need to do something else. For me, it's just not worth the utility.
Gadd

Post by Gadd » #1375

Psyentific wrote:
Alex Crimson wrote:I fail to see the issue with WASD hotkeys. Why would anyone call them shit? WASD are the most popular keys for movement after all. I mean id like to see fully rebindable keys, if they are not already, but that is it.
My issue is that it defaults all keyboard input to the interface, rather than the command line. Without switching out of hotkey mode, I cannot quickly access Say, OOC, A-Help, Suit Sensors, or any of the other myriad commands. Hotkey mode is great for robusting, but bad if you actually need to do something else. For me, it's just not worth the utility.

Isn't that what the right side of the screen with all the verbs for?
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #1378

Exactly - If you need to mouse-over to the right, click through tabs, then find the verb? That's a bunch of time someone could use to dunk you, or a bunch of time you could already be done and doing something else in. It's less efficient if you can just type the command in or let autocomplete handle it. Imagine if you had to do that every time you needed to Say something.

Exactly This is the reason it's Silence Sting then Parasting, not Parasting then Silence Sting - Because in the time between landing the Parasting and popping a Silence Sting, I can have sa ; HELP LING BRIDGE out and use Ctrl-Up to send it out five more times. I can't do that in Hotkey mode.
Gadd

Post by Gadd » #1384

Psyentific wrote:Exactly - If you need to mouse-over to the right, click through tabs, then find the verb? That's a bunch of time someone could use to dunk you, or a bunch of time you could already be done and doing something else in. It's less efficient if you can just type the command in or let autocomplete handle it. Imagine if you had to do that every time you needed to Say something.

Exactly This is the reason it's Silence Sting then Parasting, not Parasting then Silence Sting - Because in the time between landing the Parasting and popping a Silence Sting, I can have sa ; HELP LING BRIDGE out and use Ctrl-Up to send it out five more times. I can't do that in Hotkey mode.
You can. Press T. ;HELP LING BRIDGE.
Might not get it out 5 times as quick as you say though.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #1386

Doesn't that pop up a dialogue box, though? In the middle of the screen, obscuring something important?
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #1417

The pop-upbox isn't that obnoxiously big.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #1420

But it still blocks your character and whatever might be immediately next to you, right?
Giacom
Byond Username: Giacomand

Post by Giacom » #1441

or just quickly press TAB, talk and then TAB again.
Check out my MiniStation map, for low population servers. http://tgstation13.org/wiki/MiniStation
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #1515

Yeah, tab lets you switch modes so you can use ur special verbs and then back into wasd for that proscoping 3260 dunking
Gadd

Post by Gadd » #1594

Psyentific wrote:Doesn't that pop up a dialogue box, though? In the middle of the screen, obscuring something important?
You must have a small monitor.
Giacom
Byond Username: Giacomand

Post by Giacom » #1595

I tried to make it so that you could press T to temporarily get focus on the input bar but BYOND has no good way to detect when a user types a command, so I can then have it revert back to the game.
Check out my MiniStation map, for low population servers. http://tgstation13.org/wiki/MiniStation
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: [POLL] Hotkey/No Hotkey

Post by paprika » #3438

Hotkeys are incredibly robust and I have yet to find a player that is actually robust that doesn't use them.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Anton Raginovsky

Post by Anton Raginovsky » #3440

Well, I for one just learned that there was even another option in the first place. I play on a Laptop mostly. No mouse. Hotkeys seem like they're going to be a real advantage...as soon as I can figure out what they are and get used to them.
Image Image
Image Image
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #3443

I use the WASD hotkeys now, since a few months ago
I used to use no hotkeys because I had a small (and very old) laptop that allowed me to use the trackpad, but still be in very convenient reach of the arrow keys and pdup/pgdn/delete/end/etc.
I find both are very viable
I haven't noticed any HUGE pros/cons or any kind of decrease in my extreme robustness
the only thing I can really say is a slight advantage to no hotkeys (in my situation: closeness to other buttons) is that ability to type say messages/commands while moving, but it wasn't that useful

in summary
both are pretty dang good
I can say for sure that I was very, very robust when I was using no-hotkeys
overall though, hotkeys is probably gonna be better for people though. Unless you're really used to a trackpad.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #3447

I use arrow keys and CTRL+Hotkey for things when I can.

Have my right hand on the mouse, left on arrows. When I want to use a hotkey, I swap hands momentarily without even thinking about it so my right hand is now on the arrows, I use my left hand for CTRL+Hotkey (CTRL+R for throw, CTRL+X for swap, CTRL+Z for use, etc) then again swap hands after I'm done.

It's what I've gotten used to since I play on a laptop and the pgup pgdwn home end del blah blah blah doesn't work well for me. When I buy a new PC I'll probably still have that habit.
I lurk quite often...
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #3469

I can't use hotkeys because I have an AZERTY keyboard.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #4305

Psyentific wrote:
How often and pertinent is turning your suit sensors off to warrant it being a downside to hotkeys? OOC and etc. fall under the same category. I genuinely fail to see any actual downsides. Then again you admitted hotkeys are gud for robusting so I can't say I disagree with you. Also you can access say by pressing T in hotkey mode.

with love - :!:

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #4389

how the fuck are there so many plebeians in this community
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #4452

ss13 should be a point and click adventure
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #4453

paprika wrote:ss13 should be a point and click adventure
Just wait 30 minutes for the server to get laggy and your wish will come true!
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman