Prison Satellite 2014

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ShizCalev
Github Username: ShizCalev

Prison Satellite 2014

Post by ShizCalev » #13548

Prison satellite meant to serve as a replacement for perma & the gulag, replaces the old T-COM sat on Z-3.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/7nu ... /gulag.png

Prison half w/ assteroid / mining operations, and disposals system soon to come.

(The police batons are temporary, please ignore them. <3)
ImageImage
>Be ling
>Spread misinformation about how SM works to sabotage it
OOC: ChemicalRascal: Lying about game mechanics in relation to an engine that is poorly understood by most isn't cool, though
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Prison Satellite 2014

Post by paprika » #13589

Are you trying to snipe steelpoint's improved gulag idea?
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #13594

The idea was Terbs's, but Steelpoint was the one working on it.

But yeah, I sincerely doubt this came into existence as the exact same idea independent of that thread.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

ShizCalev
Code Maintainer

Post by ShizCalev » #13598

My apologies if this is stepping on toes; I jumped into making it before reading all the way through page three of that thread and didn't realize there was already work being done on it. :[
ImageImage
>Be ling
OOC: ChemicalRascal: Lying about game mechanics in relation to an engine that is poorly understood by most isn't cool, though
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #13600

Its an interesting idea, and my progress has been hampered due to it being the weekend/work/bloody everything.

EDIT: I guess the objective's between our implementations is very different, your interpretation is to create a alternative to Perma that is off station, my interpretation is to simply a place Security throws people to forget they even exist and they can roam around.

Somewhat similar yes.
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer

Post by ShizCalev » #13605

Steelpoint wrote:I guess the objective's between our implementations is very different, your interpretation is to create a alternative to Perma that is off station, my interpretation is to simply a place Security throws people to forget they even exist and they can roam around.
Well my intention is that one they're past processing, the blast doors are closed behind them and they're lost to the world 5evar. The only real reminder of their existence would be an occasional ore package left beside the shuttle dock. The security station is there so that in event of a hostile force taking over the station (syndicate strike team, cultists, aliens, ect), preventing further shipments of our precious plasma, NT forces would have a staging area to assemble before proceeding to clear out the hostile threat.

There will be no cameras within the actual satellite itself, it'll be a prisoner run zone that is more or less completely self-sufficient for the most part. A security officer would just do rounds every now and then, coming over to the station to collect whatever ore is waiting, check the few cameras in the inner perimeter to make sure that the glass bridges aren't totally destroyed, and then he'd fuck right back off to the main station. Venturing beyond the initial processing chamber would be a really bad idea for anything short of an armed squad of sec decked out in riot gear.
ImageImage
>Be ling
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #13634

I do't think there will be enough people put into this thing for it to be a place for engaging roleplay. Any more than two people in perma and security starts getting admin boinked anyway. This is basically removal from the round, moreso than perma even, and will go unused. Still, it's a nice thought.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #13661

The main thought process behind the expanded gulag/expanded perma in general is to give players who have been permanently arrested something to do as a alternative to ghosting.

In my opinion, a nice, isolated, Gulag Asteroid leaves a nice blank canvas for mappers to create interesting things and for prisoners to explore around. I intend to have the furtherest part of the asteroid have a high mineral mining value which will also spawn in some hostile mobs.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #13665

I'd still ghost after exploring it for a week. You're still not on the station, there's still nothing to do, you've still been denied greentext. And for non-traitors put here instead of perma? Damn, they're going to be pissed and ahelp sec even more.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #13667

In my design, I've got a Docking Port that used to be used in moving cargo crates onto and off the station, as well a intake for personnel.

What if I add a emergency escape pod or shuttle that arrives there?
Kavaloosh

Post by Kavaloosh » #13740

remember what happened last time?

Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #13747

I was thinking of that.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

ShizCalev
Code Maintainer

Post by ShizCalev » #13861

I loved that station. Why was it ever removed?

Also, mine's going to incorporate an asteroid as well, so there will be a tad bit more that prisoners can do than just sit around in a general holding cell like the old one.
ImageImage
>Be ling
Notaspider

Post by Notaspider » #18011

ShizCalev wrote:I loved that station. Why was it ever removed?

Also, mine's going to incorporate an asteroid as well, so there will be a tad bit more that prisoners can do than just sit around in a general holding cell like the old one.
All that open space there needs a holodeck or something, maybe a cafeteria?
Image Image
OOC: WeeYakk: I shot up a bar full of people and shoved them into my butt. The perfect crime.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #18178

The big thing about perma is that there always needs to be a slim chance of escape, or people will ghost.

For instance, in the gulag, whenever prisoners are brought there it's possible to robust the guard. Difficult, but possible. In perma you can be broken out from outside, and it's possible to use the soap and bucket to great effect against security.

Whereas, if you're stuck on an asteroid with no chance of escape, no one will ever want to go there, or do anything. If it's too easy to escape, security will never use it. The key is moderating that balance, and I feel like you're gone too security-favoured in this. It's also probably too expansive, given even on Sybil, perma ends up with 3-5 people tops and most go braindead.
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer

Post by ShizCalev » #18569

There are currently a few ways to escape, but once I'm finished with the ore delivery system, there will be alot more opportunities.
ImageImage
>Be ling
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #23443

Any update on this? Having this would be a improvement over the current system.
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer

Post by ShizCalev » #23502

Still working on it. FUN TIMES AHEAD.
ImageImage
>Be ling
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #23536

Amelius wrote:The big thing about perma is that there always needs to be a slim chance of escape, or people will ghost.

For instance, in the gulag, whenever prisoners are brought there it's possible to robust the guard. Difficult, but possible. In perma you can be broken out from outside, and it's possible to use the soap and bucket to great effect against security.

Whereas, if you're stuck on an asteroid with no chance of escape, no one will ever want to go there, or do anything. If it's too easy to escape, security will never use it. The key is moderating that balance, and I feel like you're gone too security-favoured in this. It's also probably too expansive, given even on Sybil, perma ends up with 3-5 people tops and most go braindead.
I've also seen people escape through space (finding the syndicate suit after a walk or getting very, very lucky after chugging a sec delivered cup of robust coffee and space hopping).

There's also a chance that a mining buddy might come around or a telescience extraction friend.