Helldivers is back, on PC!

Talk about video games here
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Helldivers is back, on PC!

Post by Timbrewolf » #138880

http://store.steampowered.com/app/394510/

Welp. I was skeptical we'd ever see this on PC. 9 months later, it's here!

If you've ever wanted to experience the "put the goddamn mech in every slot" gameplay of Helldivers, but didn't have any Sony consoles, now's your chance!
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Re: Helldivers is back, on PC!

Post by Wyzack » #138888

This game is fucking amazing, played it on my buddy's PS4. I joked about it coming out on PC but i never thought it would actually come true. I expect there will be less friendly fire now that we can aim with our mouses like men rather than apes with joysticks. Buying it as soon as i have the cash, although admittedly that might be a little while
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #138894

I remember back when this game was announced and I discovered it was a PS4 only title. At the time I stated how I would likely buy this game if it were on PC.

Lo and behold its now on PC. Seven hours later and I'm really enjoying it.

The game has a surprising amount of depth and strategy to it, even something as simple as selecting your initial deployment zone can have major ramifications for the mission.

My main warning is that this game, while it features the option to play alone, is really not meant to be played alone, at least on the higher difficulties. Fortunately its very easy to get into a game with random people, or friends.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #138895

I don't think aiming with a mouse would help in this situation. It's built from the ground up to be a twin-stick shooter. I haven't played it on PC yet but if I had to guess I wouldn't be surprised if the M+KB controls are kinda shitty.

It's one of those games that could easily be made more accessible but purposely isn't. A part of the FUN! is the frustration of:

A) Imprecise controls that make you sometimes accidentally shoot eachother
B) Cramped screen real-estate that keeps you clumped together and unable to see too far in any direction
C) Clutter like a motherfucker that also encourages you to shoot eachother

etc.

It sounds worse than it is though. Like Magicka a big part of the fun are the stupid accidents and squad wipes. If you're looking for an MLG Pro top-down shooter experience and you've logged a thousand hours in Alien Swarm gittin' gud this is probably not the game for you. This is four jackbooted thugs hopping in a space truck to go oppress some alien scum and probably run eachother over a few times.

NInja'd
Steelpoint wrote: My main warning is that this game, while it features the option to play alone, is really not meant to be played alone, at least on the higher difficulties. Fortunately its very easy to get into a game with random people, or friends.
Definitely true. I'd even go one further and say it's only above-average when played with random people. To get the most out of it you really need to play it with friends (or at least people you know) so you know who to blame when some dumbass fumbles an artillery grenade into the middle of the squad.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #138900

jetpack + autoshotgun is gg against bugs. in fact, jetpacks make anything better. never got far enough for the big multiman tanks and APCs but they looked awesome
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #138931

I had a build that centered entirely around quick-cooldown artillery strikes for CC and super-damaging bunker-buster type strikes for hard targets.

Running around throwing nonstop hand-grenades to mark shit. Works great when you can communicate with the team.

Consistently gets everyone killed when you can't.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #138937

I remember buffing up my turret whenever possible, as well as dropping a heavy machinegun on round start pretty much every time
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #138960

Looks like Alien Swarm.
Is it like Alien Swarm?

Alien Swarm was good, could've been great if valve supported it as more than a novelty project.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #138983

Like Alien Swarm with cool-down respawns and deployables because you often need one after using the other.

EDIT: No really there's nothing more fucking hilarious than when you throw a respawn beacon and a drop-pod comes crashing down from the sky and splatters another squaddie. And the new soldier just steps out like "HEY WHAT DID I MISS?"

:honkman:
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #138989

Currently busy with Phantom Pain, but I'll put this on my list. We gonna get some four-player coop going?
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #139036

Actually just realised I can steam share this off my little brother so I am in for coop teamkilling shenanigans
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #139038

Oh yeah I heard about this game and that it was apparently really good. Doesn't it have some pretty good social commentary in it?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #139044

It does. You really need a controller to git gud at this though.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #139050

Zilenan91 wrote:Oh yeah I heard about this game and that it was apparently really good. Doesn't it have some pretty good social commentary in it?
It's basically starship troopers (the film, not the book), the video game, isn't it?
Mime: Depresso
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #139108

invisty wrote:
Zilenan91 wrote:Oh yeah I heard about this game and that it was apparently really good. Doesn't it have some pretty good social commentary in it?
It's basically starship troopers (the film, not the book), the video game, isn't it?
alright now I'm interested
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #139110

Well it can be Starship Troopers the book if everyone runs around in a Exo Suit.
Reyouka
Byond Username: Reyouka

Post by Reyouka » #139114

It has shades of Starship Troopers, Warhammer, and others I'm probably forgetting. It has a really comical undertone though, especially with how often friendly fire happens.
[img]http://steamsignature.com/status/english/76561197966737024.png[/img][url=steam://friends/add/76561197966737024]Image[/url]
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #139123

The music in this game is great. Always love games where the combat music has a more hectic, desperate feeling to it on higher difficulties.

[youtube]Ge20MtDHVNI[/youtube]
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #139133

Ok this game looks pretty awesome. Reminds me of grinding "Hunter: the reckoning" which was a terrible xbox game but my god did me and my neighbours spend ages playing it. Twin-stick shooters are such a classic game style, and its nice to see some coop shooters are still being made (that aren't just creative/sandbox games).

EDIT: I'd definitely be up for buy this and playing with some peeps, has it only just come out? I wonder if it'll be in the winter sales.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #139137

peoplearestrange wrote:Ok this game looks pretty awesome. Reminds me of grinding "Hunter: the reckoning" which was a terrible xbox game but my god did me and my neighbours spend ages playing it. Twin-stick shooters are such a classic game style, and its nice to see some coop shooters are still being made (that aren't just creative/sandbox games).

EDIT: I'd definitely be up for buy this and playing with some peeps, has it only just come out? I wonder if it'll be in the winter sales.
It's only just come out for PC, but it came out several months ago on PS4/Vita

EDIT: Game acquired. S'good.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #139479

Purchased with all the DLC because I'm a shitlord but also having more toys to accidentally murder everyone with is fun.

This gives us a multi-crew tank APC thing to haul ass around in and oppress alien scum liberate the universe.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #139503

Will be able to spread glorious explosive freedom in about 2-3 hours if anyone wants to play
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #139509

I'm surprised this game didn't explode in hype on the PC. One of the best MP games to come out in a long, long time. Basically my dream game.
Last edited by paprika on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #139526

Summon tank.

Me and another player enthusiastically jump into it.
Another player stands by in awe.
We immediately back over him.
Gunner gets out to throw down beacon, also gets run over by tank.
I get out to throw down a beacon.
Giant enemy crab appears and rips me in half.
RIP FREEDOM
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #139580

An0n3 wrote:Summon tank.

RIP FREEDOM
This is what makes this game fun, well that and everything else.

I liked todays story of "HEY YOU TOOK MY JETPACK!" *shoots them, takes back jetpack, calls for reinforcement* "Ok I get the message".
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #139581

Never forghetti bike squad freedom force
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #139582

It's literally Magicka with space marines and almost all of the self-awareness.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #139589

Should've taken more screenshots.

Capturing a point by doing donuts around it with the whole squad mounted up on motorcycles was pretty fucking radical.

Here we are eschewing all that fun on-foot combat to assemble a mechanized unit.
2015-12-10_00001.jpg
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #139592

Is there a 4 player vehicle? That sounds like it would be good fun
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #139597

peoplearestrange wrote:
An0n3 wrote:Summon tank.

RIP FREEDOM
This is what makes this game fun, well that and everything else.

I liked todays story of "HEY YOU TOOK MY JETPACK!" *shoots them, takes back jetpack, calls for reinforcement* "Ok I get the message".
NOBODY takes my jetpack. It's MINE.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #139598

Wyzack wrote:Is there a 4 player vehicle? That sounds like it would be good fun
There's a HAV that I'm preeeeeetty sure is 4 player.

One person drives.
One person controls the turret.
The other two players each have a point-defense HMG mounted on the left/right sides of the hull.

My goal is to be the Support dude. I'll focus on using the Rep gun and improving my own survivability to give everyone else big buffs.
If everyone else wants to go ham on upgrading mechs, turrets, deployables, offensive strategems, etc. I'll get your back.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #139599

Could you theoretically get 4 people all focused on pimping out their performance in a HAV and all of you rolling in that.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #139601

Zilenan91 wrote:Could you theoretically get 4 people all focused on pimping out their performance in a HAV and all of you rolling in that.
Not really, since afaik there isn't any equipment that functions in HAVS.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #139602

My Battlewagon dreams are thoroughly crushed
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #139603

You could theoretically take a bunch of stratagems that deploy turrets and drones, since once those are working they don't give a fuck what you're doing, but turrets WILL shoot you if you are between them and an enemy, so big things with big hitboxes and turrets don't play too nicely together.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #139607

We're gonna lose this war, lads. Not enough people doing difficulty 6+ on bugs.

a correct post by pillz
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #139618

Don't think you lose the war if you fail an attack on the enemy home planet.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #139619

Zilenan91 wrote:My Battlewagon dreams are thoroughly crushed

It's do-able. Like Dryn said nothing works while inside the HAV, but you can still help out.

The wheelman takes four HAV's
Everyone else takes static field gens, REP-80's and other deployables.

Use the HAV's gun to complete destroy objectives.
Use static field gens and the side guns to complete defend objectives.
Fail escort missions because fuck that who cares.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #139630

Drynwyn wrote:Don't think you lose the war if you fail an attack on the enemy home planet.
You lose the momentum.

a correct post by pillz
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #139637

Zilenan91 wrote:It's literally Magicka with space marines and almost all of the self-awareness.
And less game breaking bugs! (Seriously I loved magica but it just failed to work so many times due to glitches and other right out crashing bugs)
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #139651

DrPillzRedux wrote:
Drynwyn wrote:Don't think you lose the war if you fail an attack on the enemy home planet.
You lose the momentum.
True, but as far as I can tell nobody actually gives a flying fuck about the war effort, we all just want research points and new Stratagems.

Unrelated to the above: I have to wonder how macro capability will affect stratagems and high-level gameplay.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #139652

Had some random connection issues between myself and Wyz.
Crashed once, but immediately downloaded a small update afterward. Games way of forcing patches?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #139653

Drynwyn wrote:
DrPillzRedux wrote:
You lose the momentum.
True, but as far as I can tell nobody actually gives a flying fuck about the war effort, we all just want research points and new Stratagems.

Unrelated to the above: I have to wonder how macro capability will affect stratagems and high-level gameplay.

Git gud. You won't need or care about macros if you memorize your strategems and get good at inputting then rapidly. It's not like the inputs change randomly.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #139655

Get a upgraded Railgun, shoot big bad guys and stun lock them forever, call in a Railgun Stratagem strike on them, win.

I've found the Railgun to be pretty good against Cyborgs and the Bugs due to its stun locking ability that will stun anything sans the Cyborgs IFV. However against the Protoss its very useless, I've found just going for a rapid firing weapons, like the mid Patriot assault rifle, to be more effective.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #139658

Sickle is the best gun in the game.

Works on everything. Pseudo unlimited ammo.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #139679

Steelpoint wrote:Get a upgraded Railgun, shoot big bad guys and stun lock them forever, call in a Railgun Stratagem strike on them, win.

I've found the Railgun to be pretty good against Cyborgs and the Bugs due to its stun locking ability that will stun anything sans the Cyborgs IFV. However against the Protoss its very useless, I've found just going for a rapid firing weapons, like the mid Patriot assault rifle, to be more effective.
If you like stuns, SMG's have both rapid-fire capability and a stun bullets upgrade. They also have armor-piercing ammunition. Combines well with the rocket pack, since you can take riskier positions that minimize the impact of the SMG's short range while being confident that you won't die (immediately) if a problem happens.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #139713

I'm trying to organize us in my head a little better so we can start tackling the harder levels to get HAV's for everyone and the like.

What roles do people like to play? What strategems (categorically, not specifically) do you like to use?

Eg. Dryn I know you don't like offensive strategems as much as you like to use deployable weaponry. I need to convince you to ideally start packing a recoilless rifle instead of your MG, or at least move up to the heavy laser cannon.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #139721

I really like driving multi man vehicles. I also do not much care for using deployable airstrikes and the like. I see myself as the guy that calls in vehicles and ammo, although i do not have shit for vehicles other than a few mechs.

As for guns i really like the ninja SMG, has some armor piercing and a wicked fast reload. I can also make up for the short range with the revolver which is badass. I am not terribly in love with any of this stuff though, and am open to suggestions
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #139729

An0n3 wrote:I'm trying to organize us in my head a little better so we can start tackling the harder levels to get HAV's for everyone and the like.

What roles do people like to play? What strategems (categorically, not specifically) do you like to use?

Eg. Dryn I know you don't like offensive strategems as much as you like to use deployable weaponry. I need to convince you to ideally start packing a recoilless rifle instead of your MG, or at least move up to the heavy laser cannon.
I'm currently working to unlock the laser cannon. Also, I've found I can get behind offensive stratagems after doing some higher-difficulty dives with a pair of Thunderstrikes. They're just kind of pointless at lower difficulty levels. Generally, I take the jump pack, a deployable weapon of some sort, Thunderstrike, and either Resupply, Turret, or another Thunderstrike.

My accuracy also shot way up when I realized the mistake I kept making- namely, I kept aiming based on the center of the screen rather than my character's actual position.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #139731

Jetpack is awesome when you get it fully upgraded and get 2 per drop
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster