Security Override Key

A place to record your ideas for the game.
TheWulfe
Byond Username: TheWulfe

Security Override Key

Post by TheWulfe » #141228

As any player who's been on security knows, there's nothing more irritating than a security emergency and then getting stumped by a single door. You're stuck outside the door with your dick out waiting for an AI that may or may not respond with the haste needed for an emergency, if at all. Well up to minutes later, your emergency response was late to the party. Lives are lost, property destroyed.

Security are supposed to be responsible for the safety of the station and crew yet are powerless to anything just outside the main halls.

From a logical 'lore' standpoint, there's no reason security shouldn't be able to access any department they need to in order to respond to the security needs of the station. From a gameplay perspective, you can't just have all officers have all-access because of the workplace annoyances and distractions from having security dancing all over, and a single officer getting taken out by an antagonist turning into a loot pinata for accessibility.

So I think a remedy and good balance for that is converting an emergency response into semi-limited item form:

Security Override Key

How it would work:

The mechanics of the key would be to have it in hand, and click on an airlock to use it, similar to an e-mag. However, the swipe would have a slight lull in opening where it would create a few 'loud' versions of airlock sparks (the 'shocked' noise and animation) as the access is being overwritten before temporarily locking the airlock open. This uses up a charge. The key would be rechargeable and probably at a decently slow rate.

Gameplay considerations:
  • Limited charges before recharging means officers can't treat it as a pseudo all-access. The charges would have to be used in a precise and intelligent manner.
  • Would lighten the annoying load of 'being a doorknob' for the AI
  • Having access and a quick AI is still rewarded with a quicker opening and saved charges
  • The slight lull and obvious sparking creates prep-time for people on the receiving end of the breach, giving time for fight-or-flight, potentially making more interactive firefights.
  • For antagonists, while it won't be an easy replacement for just buying an E-mag for airlocks (the dangers of taking out an officer, the risks of getting spotted with it on person/trying to charge it, less effective mechanics for traitoring, etc.), it's still a worthwhile reward if you manage to get your hands on it
Sprites and look:
The aesthetics of the card should be deliberate. It should be black and red to the color theme of security, so it's instantly recognizable as a security item, and scream that it's a big no-no to those not authorized to use it when you spot this on a person. Stylistically, my sample images' shape and design are a tribute to the classic Doom keycard, because that's awesome. On-character sprite can be as simple as recycling and turning the in-hand ID card model red.

I am not a coder or spriter. The images are just inspiration I whipped up in MS Paint for an idea thread.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: Security Access Override

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #141234

A few things.

1. Really love the sprite.

2. Shouldn't be able to open bolted doors.

3. Should only work on red alert.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: Security Override Key

Post by Zilenan91 » #141238

Make emagging it usable in non red-alert status and I'd love to see this be a thing.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #141248

I definitely want this to be tied to alert levels. Maybe instant during Delta, works as described during red alert. Creates an alert like during EVA/Armory entrance during blue and does nothing during green
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #141252

Red alert only and it needs a sizeable delay. No restrictions on it grants an all-too-powerful item at roundstart to security which already has a plethoria of stupidly powerful equipment when applied properly. Given that you only need really 3 charges to reach any area of the station and respond to any call wherein you typically get some downtime afterward to recharge your taser or handle a prisoner any slow recharge time is essentially null, especially since there's likely going to be spares in every round allowing for swapping on the go. Also, it should never be able to open bolted doors, since not even the emag can accomplish that and it will nerf any sort of AI subversion/defense present. Keep in mind this shouldn't be a replacement for asking the AI to open a door, or getting HoP access, but rather is just a way to perform your duties adequately without the AI present. Using it SHOULD be slower than the standard response time, since it doesn't involve any sort of interaction with or reliance on other people to use, i.e. it should be used for emergencies so you don't have to break into a department while being markedly faster.

Keep in mind that one of the things that helps antagonists actually handle the behemoth of security is that sec, despite all their instawin equipment (flashbangs, flash spam, disabler spam, none of which the average crewmember will or may have answers to and the last one only being adequately counterable by the average crew member by having a directly stunning weapon AND hitting), they have to go through the AI, the HoP, or other people to gain access to departments, buying vital time for the antagonist to prepare or escape, and, perhaps most importantly, it will divide up the security response so that you don't have 5 officers storming together, but rather 2 - 1 - 2, giving a single person or small group an actual fighting chance. With this item, I fear that this won't happen, since officers will be able to access areas flat-out, meaning less division. This mainly affects the more non-mobile antagonists, such as cultists or gangsters, but it will speed up response time and efficacy on say, a random tator killing someone in R&D markedly.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #141253

I'd see a reason for this if department sec was undone and there wouldn't be an officer constantly snooping around in every area.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #141254

Put it in armory perhaps.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #141255

I could see this item working well with the HoS as well as having one spare in the armoury, since that means we won't have to worry about having a shit ton of restrictions on it if it were to become standard issue.

The item should work mostly as described in the OP, but that it should work in any and all alert conditions.

We already punish people for being shitcurity, so I don't think we'll have many problems with shitty HoS players abusing it.
TheWulfe
Byond Username: TheWulfe

Post by TheWulfe » #141257

Solid feedback. I agree that it shouldn’t open bolted doors. I like ideas about tying in alert levels, might give Red Alert/Delta gameplay mechanics value other than a quick shuttle call, announcing in a sense that security can now be breaching into an area at any moment.

Now I’m seeing a big difference between how it may work mechanically if it’s standard issue or limited issue.

Standard issue (all or most officers can be expected to have it):

Probably most likely to be needed to tied to alert level. Officers would be responding to general security needs out of reach.

Limited issue (HoS and/or Armory issued, 2-3 on the station):
Probably wouldn’t involve alert levels. Would be treated more like a ‘breach’ item.

Players may be encouraged to go ‘lone wolfing’ and get themselves lynched if it’s too easy or too available to use. An officer should probably be encouraged to think, I don't want to get lynched if I go in alone against that group. Having someone realize they're holding a limited and valuable item makes a player really think about getting backup.

Which is why my personal inclination is towards limited issue on the HoS and armory.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #141345

This would be better as standard issue tbh.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #141348

All-access is amazingly good. Why not both red-alert and limited supply? The Warden can hand them out when red alert hits, and on anything lower, they can just grab emergency access from the HoP or ask the AI to be their doorknob.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #141349

why not blue and yellow keys for medbay and engineero

everyone needs access at all times
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #141350

Engineering would be one of the only departments to realistically need to use the keys, but going off of experience they'd be looted every single round by engineers who then promptly either fuck off to maint and suicide in about 10 minutes or who are antags and use the cards to be a klepto, murderbone, then die. Never actually used for their intended purpose.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #141357

Engineering already has all-access keys. They're called toolbelts.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #141423

I love the sprite but it feels kinda out of place next to ID cards and emags
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
One Seven One
Byond Username: OneSevenOne

Post by One Seven One » #142885

Only working during Red Alert is great idea. Since it only ever gets changed to red alert when people want a faster shuttle. Never for the rampant cult, the loose singularity, or the half destroyed station.

Maybe it would be inactive unless it was activated by someone of a higher authority or have limited uses unless someone stuck it in their computer and said "Yes, give this ten more uses"
Just to limit the abuse it could have for a traitor. It's pretty much a free emag if they get it off an unaware or new officer.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #142886

give them a box of meteorshot for their shotguns.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #142968

Make the door breach traitor item immediately detonate and crit shircurity if they try to spark the door and it's fine by me.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #142969

Sticky makes a interesting point, a cheap item that can detonate a door that is overrided with would be a interesting way for Traitors to counter this tool, it would act as a counterweight to using it liberally as Security and encourage the AI's involvement, reserving the Key for critical moments.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #142971

We already have airlock charges, don't we?
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #142972

Fuck this item nonsense, make it an access level, addable by the hos or hop using id consoles or departmental access consoles.

there should be a few levels, and use of it should announce on security, common, and ai channels (ais would also get a link to open the door (maybe even regardless of camera view status) and jump to the door). (think priority overrides in startrek)

priority 1 could open all common department doors.
priority 2 could open most secured areas (basically excludes bridge, ai, upload, and parts of security)
priority 3 could open all doors.

Ids would have a set amount of priority override authorization codes for each priority, and would require re-authorization by a departmental id console or the hop.

Engineers, atmos techs and medical doctors get a limited number of priority 1.

Security officers get a limited number of priority 2, a larger number of priority 1, and a single priority 3

CE and CMO get about security levels of 1 and 2, but no 3. (and we could even look at rolling back some of their current access since this would be a thing now)

HoS gets his fair share of all 3.

detective and warden get nothing.

You use it by using your id or pda on a door, (no wallets, intentional) a prompt comes up or we could just use do_after()

There is a delay, it gets longer for higher security doors.

Agent ids could also get a small amount of 1 and 2, but take twice as long, however take half as long for legitimately added authorization codes. refillable by using an emag on the id (with decent delay) (it is a cryptographic sequencer after all, it's design for breaking encryption (and other things))

If an ai opens the door it doesn't spend the charge.

Low pop extra access could add more
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #142977

Consider the following:
As soon as I fix Door Breaching rounds I'll see to them be added.
In a security Emergancy, you blow the door off using a door slug.
Add in a box of door breaching slugs to armoury.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #142994

These fancy electronic gizzmos seem too expensive for cheap bastard NT to issue as standard.

Give Sec some pneumatic door jacks, uses an emergency internals tanks for power, bottle has to be fully charged to >1000kpa
Takes a while to force the door open, burns out the electronics like an emag.
Can force open a bolted door but takes twice as long.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #142995

Add a sledgehammer in sec that busts down airlocks in a few hits and must be held in both hands to work.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Topham
Byond Username: Topham

Post by Topham » #156559

I was going to wholly support the idea of having a one or a few of these in the armory or something and tied to Red Alert or higher levels, but come to think of it some of you bring up good points. Having something that would be apparently cheaper for NT to manufacture would make sense, but sledgehammers or meteor shots would just be too powerful of a weapon. I still support the original idea myself, with limited quantity.