No
23%

Total votes: 44

DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Turning Bagil into an Official Medium RP server

Post by DrPillzRedux » #144247

There were some ideas thrown around in OOC today about turning Bagil into a tgstation Official Medium RP server. As the Goons have had success of their own at an actual Med RP server it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one as well. I'd like to see what everyone else thinks about it, as well as get ideas from others. Obviously admins given more training on what's IC and what isn't would be needed, as well as a ruleset.

You may have and retain IC friendships, so long as they do not provide an intentionally unfair advantage
You must at least attempt your job before you run off, unless IC reasons (hazards, needing to help others, etc) arise
You may do another job, but you cannot do it extensively if it's beyond what your character should know (No sitting in genetics researching as a doctor but cloning is fine, no building mechs as a scientist but borging people would be possible)
You may defend yourself and others from antagonists and rowdy co-workers, however, you may not use syndicate gear unless you are a head or security member, as only they should know what that kind of gear does by experience
You may not hunt antagonists unless warranted by an IC reason (being sec, being recruited by sec, being a security cyborg, etc)
You must not start a wild murderbone spree as an antagonist without an IC reason (being caught, it being your objective, etc)

This could be a lot of fun.
Last edited by DrPillzRedux on Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: Turning Bagil into an Official Medium RP server

Post by Zilenan91 » #144248

I'd be up for this if it became a thing.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #144251

Have it be you have your job skills, and one sub skill. One aspect of another job, maybe not even related to yours at all. A hobby, a side trade, something.

Plenty of low pop rounds where I have to double duty it as a miner/researcher. Just RnD, sometimes no one else is there to do it, and if that's the one thing besides my job I do, I can see that being reasonable.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #144252

Restricting knowledge/item usage based on jobs is awful and generally is unfun.

Stuff like restricting murderbones and blatant validhunting would be a nice change of pace, though.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #144253

Ideally we wouldn't be like OH MAN YOU KNOW MINING, RND AND TOXINS NO GTFO BANT
It'd ideally be like how Paradise does it where that rule is really only invoked if someone makes a habit of always trying to do everything.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Igotdild4u
Byond Username: Igotdild4u

Post by Igotdild4u » #144254

I feel like this would be interesting. It would definitely give me more of a reason to play on Bagil rather than Sybil. Within reason, I do like the idea that the bartender shouldn't have the knowledge to operate the advanced bio-medical research machines.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #144255

MMMiracles wrote:Restricting knowledge/item usage based on jobs is awful and generally is unfun.
It's more of limiting it. A doctor would know how to clone someone by having observed geneticists use the cloning machine before, or as part of their training. A scientist would obviously see how roboticists rip out brains, yet they aren't schooled in the fine arts of mech building. A miner could help move crates, but they don't really have the economic teachings that cargonians do. The chef could make drinks, but only simple ones.

It's more of that kind of thought. Giving players enough to where it's not a hard restriction. There's wiggle room in there.

Though I do feel the cloner should be a thing everyone could use as it's literally built so a mentally handicapped person could use it.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #144257

Great idea, except for the whole IC ability thing. Fairly basic RP is quite a lot for most players, and having ANY RP requirement is already a pretty big leap forward.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #144260

I meant that more as you have to do your job or at least attempt to, not that you must RP with everyone in your department. Forcing RP is bad. Encouraging it is good.

a correct post by pillz
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #144262

I meant that doing your job kind of is one of the lowest tiers of RP existing, and enforcing RP being just keeping mute stunbaton cablecuff assistants at bay.
I play:
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #144264

Enforcement of RP would be for obvious IC reasons, not forcing you to RP with others. If you just want to stay in your role and not talk much, that's fine. I'm sure most people who go on Medium RP will want to socialize though.

a correct post by pillz
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #144280

The rule against restricting IC knowledge of jobs and traitor items is what I disagree most with, it's also what I find to be one of the most autistic things on Bay.

Everything else checks out, though maybe some naming restrictions should also be added.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #144282

It's hard to find a balance for job knowledge and meta knowledge on antag stuff. Realistically you want to do something to promote RP without outright forcing people to do nothing, because that's just not fun. The inclusion of actual skills works but an artificial number puts me off slightly, unless it lets players choose their skills accordingly during character setup. Even then, that can be a hard limit unless it's just affecting the success or result of something. I think it'd be okay if you could still do things, you just get different results (lower potency, fewer units of chems, takes more time to do, etc) depending on your skills. That would be purely for non-combat jobs.

Combat jobs and combat itself, I believe, should remain fair and balanced to all. No special powers for anyone; you can defend yourself if attacked the same as you could on sybil. No slow, drawn out combat. That's not medium RP, that's heavy. Making yourself weapons at roundstart as nonsec or nonantag wouldn't make sense though. You'd have to use your workplace gear to fight unless you already have an IC reason to be equipped with makeshift weapons, aside from "well I could be attacked".

a correct post by pillz
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #144284

Medium RP Rules wrote:* You may have and retain IC friendships, so long as they do not provide an intentionally unfair advantage (breaking your friends out of jail, etc.)

* You must at least attempt your job when you are needed, unless extenuating circumstances (severe workplace hazards, others in danger, etc.) arise.

* You must have a sensible name. "xX_MLG360x420MLG_Xx" is not a sensible name. Non-humans such as lizardpeople, plasmapeople and silicons may choose slightly more unique names, but "Dicks-In-Ass" or "ASS DESTROYER 9001" are still not sensible names.

* You may defend yourself and others from antagonists and rowdy co-workers, but attempted peaceful resolutions must be tried first before escalating the conflict.

* You must not do anything your character would not do. You may retire to a dorm room for rest, for example, but you must not weld through a dorm wall to see who's inside. Your character would follow the law to the best of their ability, unless circumstances arise in which this does not make sense (for example, a traitor tells the CMO to poison cryo, or else Runtime dies).

* You may know how to do jobs in your department and have limited knowledge of other jobs, but only the Clown can be an expert at everything. Whilst an Engineer would likely be trained in the operation of Atmospherics equipment, and a Research Director can (and should) know the intricacies of Science, it is unlikely that a Security Officer could perform surgery to the same degree of competency as a Medical Doctor. Note that whilst you personally might know how something works, your character might not - and so if they try to do something without training, they would likely make mistakes along the way (though nothing prevents you from attempting it).

* You may possess knowledge of overt Syndicate gear such as revolvers, energy swords, minibombs and blood-red hardsuits, but some pieces of Syndicate gear are beyond your knowledge unless their function is studied closely, such as the singularity beacon or power sink (an Engineer might know the function of these more easily than others). Disguised items such as the dehydrated space carp or voice changer are only officially contraband when they are observed to take effect - otherwise, they are simply the item they are disguised as (a pen is not illegal, but an energy dagger is). Soap and balloons are not, and never will be, contraband.

* You may not hunt antagonists unless warranted by an IC reason (being a member of Security or the Mime, they killed your father and your name is Inigo Montoya, etc.); if an antagonist is caught, they should be treated fairly with respect to their crimes. A trial that involves the whole crew is preferable to an on-the-spot execution.

* You must not murder multiple people unnecessarily as an antagonist without a good reason (being discovered and having to shoot your way out, having a 'hijack the shuttle' objective that you have tried and failed to resolve otherwise, etc.) - note that 'my character is insane' is, as always, not a good reason. Killing a witness is acceptable (though there may be other options you wish to consider), as is killing the Detective investigating your case, or the Officer sent to apprehend you. Killing uninvolved, unarmed people without provocation is not acceptable.
How's that?

Bay's skill system and mechanical disadvantages don't work because you can learn things during a round. If a botanist offers to teach you how plants work, it doesn't make sense that you make the same potency ambrosia deus as an Assistant who's never seen a plant in their life.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #144287

I expressed my take on a skill system in my last post. Results based on skill level for non-combat things was a suggestion. That would take coding or porting from bay. Would be hard to code a whole new system and test it right now given the code freeze. Though since that's a pretty big undertaking, if someone did start now it would be ready for testing when the freeze is over.

a correct post by pillz
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #144290

There's no reason to code in systems about how many skills you know, that's retarded. We can just do it how Paradise does it and really only care about how many things you know if you make it a routine to do everything.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

K Peculier
Byond Username: K Peculier

Post by K Peculier » #144309

I'm all for medium RP. As you stated, the jump from low to medium rp is quite the step however, but people can get used to it. Although I'm not so sure about newer players to the server since its now on the hub.
Also known as K Pecucklier
Yell at me here --> https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5075
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #144310

I'm actually willing to trust people will roleplay not knowing how to do certain things outside of their job if they care enough to. There's really no need to enforce THAT much, and I doubt anybody on the admin team wants to be bwoinking an engineer for using a bruise patch on themselves.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #144322

I think that a higher enforcement of rp is a good idea, but I am firmly against any sort of skill based restriction on IC knowledge. Space is dangerous, and mother NT does not give a fuck about you beyond raising profit margins. Due to cloning tech most people have been working there for a long time and would have a wide variety of aptitudes.

Obviously this is just headcannon, but it becomes utterly impossible with knowledge restrictions. You also need to consider the fact that our pop issues will not be solved overnight so if none of the 5 people playing take a vital role like doctor or engineer the game becomes a bullshit waiting game where we hang out with no power and medicine and then leave when the shuttle auto calls due to power loss.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #144323

There's a difference between being able to apply what is a over glorified band aid/patch onto yourself versus operating a highly complicated piece of machinery.

Restriction on the ability to use equipment is something I would see out of a more high RP server,
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #144324

Yeah, restriction of knowledge to a reasonable extent. It'd really be something that's not hard defined if even there at all.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Pascal123
Byond Username: Pascal123

Post by Pascal123 » #144325

Is this guy serious?
He's gonna step into Bagil for once in his life at five in the morning and start trying to make decisions for us, all because lizards aren't on sybil?

Don't get me wrong. Some of these idea's are okay, especially Nightingales revision. But jesus, people.
Last edited by Pascal123 on Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #144326

It is staggering the number of times I have joined basil at round start and had to steal the spare, set the engine, set up cryo, and any number of other technical tasks. This will not solve pop overnight and will just ruin rounds. Why not just instead have a higher standard for rp and valid hunting?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #144331

Medium RP sounds fun, but we need to be very clear on what the fun aspects are. I think a lot of the 'skill based restrictions' don't create interesting roleplaying situations on their own, they just arbitrarily restrict player freedom. Most of the station's mechanisms are set up deliberately so that they're easy for anyone to use: cryo tubes, for example, are literally "plug in the oxygen, turn on the freezer, and put that beaker in the slot". Likewise, the engine is basically set up for you, you just need to wrench things into place, for which there is a book on the table. Pretty much the entire science department is just machines set up to do all the really complicated bits (like making cyborg parts or analysing a flamethrower) and you pressing buttons on a console. It's fine to roleplay being unaware of something, but it's not bad roleplay to be competent and know how to do things outside your immediate job. It only becomes a problem when people stop allowing others to do their actual job because they, as a non-[job], feel they still know better.

Cutting down on murderboning and validhunting for no reason, encouraging in-character relationships and human interaction? That stuff all sounds good.
cancer_engine
Byond Username: Cancer_Engine

Post by cancer_engine » #144332

I worry a lot about being persecuted for roleplaying, so I support this idea.
cancer_engine

Post by cancer_engine » #144333

Also can this server please not have any memes at all? That includes donald trump.
For me contemporary shit in spessmens kills the immershun.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #144341

Bagil rounds usually are long enough to make most Donald Trumps, Adolf Hitlers and the like go braindead.
I play:
cancer_engine

Post by cancer_engine » #144374

So it seems that basil is on the public server list. I think that it would be pretty important to mention that its medium rp on the server listing as soon as possible if thats what its gonna be.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #144401

there's way too many medium/heavy RP servers on the BYOND hub, forcing this would basically kill any chance we have of attracting players from the hub

then again considering the population I wouldn't be suprised if that's the plan
cancer_engine

Post by cancer_engine » #144404

iamgoofball wrote:there's way too many medium/heavy RP servers on the BYOND hub, forcing this would basically kill any chance we have of attracting players from the hub

then again considering the population I wouldn't be suprised if that's the plan
But goofball, if its not explicitly stated that its medium/heavyrp it will attract normies, thus ruining the game for everyone.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #144440

hasn't the problem with this always been that we would need admins willing to enforce medium RP rules
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #144448

With it being on the hub it should probably accurately reflect the rules on Sybil/the culture of tg.
IcePacks
Byond Username: IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #144449

this would be fantastic but what's your definition of rp
OOC: Deitus: tfw RL porn doesnt sexually excite me anymore
cancer_engine

Post by cancer_engine » #144450

IcePacks wrote:this would be fantastic but what's your definition of rp
Playing a role. On a space themed SPACE station in 2555, that means not being a broken meme machine from 2015. It also means putting some personality into your character beyond "robust and doesnt afraid of anything"
YotaXP
Byond Username: Yota

Post by YotaXP » #144485

And here I though Basil already was medium RP. It's been far more RP-heavy than Sybil for a while now. I'm all for making it official.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #144706

There's quite some interest in this. I hope this doesn't die.

a correct post by pillz
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #144727

I hate terms like "Light RP" or "Medium RP" you may as well call it "Memory Foam King Sized Bed RP".

Define Medium RP and what differences are there between "Heavy RP". If you say that light RP involves more ooc than that right there is like completely off the definition of roleplay and thus you are not roleplaying any more. Roleplay by its very definition if a binary thing. You are either playing a different character or you are not. Right now I could join in as "Dick McPhearson" and just make him a shitty self insert and that would not be roleplaying but it would still be acceptable behaviour. Is that what you want #2 to be? Then it's just a roleplay server.

As of last year tgstation has not been a roleplaying server in any reasonable respect and at this rate it will never be.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #144728

IcePacks wrote:this would be fantastic but what's your definition of rp
See, this is the thing.

Some people define "RP" as "persistent character relationships." The actual act of being on a space station is secondary.

Other people define "RP" as "realistic scenarios." So like, say, taking hostages, or negotiating with traitors, or interrogations or trials or such. Cultists who RP conversions. Basically, how high-RP servers do gamemodes. And here, the persistent character relationships are secondary.

The problem is, these people tend to talk past each other and accuse the other of contributing to server validhunting, when in reality they just have a different type of RP in mind. And this is why it is important to be very clear about which.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #144734

You can do both. It's not like you can't work with IC friends on jobs. You just know each other and can enjoy chatting while working. Same with situational scenarios.

a correct post by pillz
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #144735

The sole correct definition of roleplay is

The acting out or performance of a particular role, either consciously (as a technique in psychotherapy or training) or unconsciously, in accordance with the perceived expectations of society as regards a person's behaviour in a particular context.

For /tg/ ss13 and medium rp, this most likely means playing your character in accordance with the perceived expectations of a 21st century western mainstream society as regards a person's (your character's) behavior in the context of a research space station. It's pretty much that simple, make an honest attempt to apply the common standard of RL behavior that we all are familiar with to some extent. The medium part of medium rp is where we acknowledge completely playing in accordance is dumb and not conducive to fun, so we make allowances like botanists being allowed to set up a horrifying black hole for electricity and not be phased one single bit, or not forcing people into acting horrified and scared when they find out that they are a fresh clone.

That is rp, there are no other correct answers please don't waste more time on it. What someone interested in doing this medium rp thing should do is to figure out what exactly is handwaveable for the sake of fun. Also Newfren is kinda right, it's gonna be weird for newcomers dealing with two sets of rules.

Also, it would be kind of hard to get admins to enforce or want to enforce this. If you liked shitposting about admins having conflicting views then you'll really like shitposting about something admins have not adminned before.

I also want to point out one last thing, I'm going to take a guess and say most people itt want sportsmanship, meaningful non-combat interaction and cooperation, but those three aren't really directly tied to rp as defined above.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #144742

>hub server
>RP
Pick one
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #144745

Had some quality RP on basil last night, although that may well have been because no pubbies ever join

In any case changing what level of RP we enforce on the second server will be entirely moot until admins are actually there to enforce it
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #144747

Wasn't there a thread on this exact topic with almost identical posts debating the definition of RP about a year ago?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #144755

Not sure why you would do this on the pub server not on Sybil where we actually enforce shit
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #144760

TechnoAlchemist wrote:Not sure why you would do this on the pub server not on Sybil where we actually enforce shit
Because nobody on Sybil wants to RP.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #144761

Fact of the matter is that a good chunk of the sybil playerbase would not want it at all. I have been playing there a lot more as of late with the bagil outages, but for every person willing to roleplay there are a dozen validhunters or shitters. You can stick whatever basil exclusive rules on that you like, but we very rarely have admins online so it will never be enforced (shout out to my boy J peculiar for running some stuff last night on basil)
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #144770

We do have people coming in and not realising it's a medium RP server. Three metacommunicators last shift, and they didn't know how to use a taser (thankfully).
Pascal123

Post by Pascal123 » #144771

We've been getting some admins, Like K Peculiar on bagil hosting some interesting events for us to roleplay with.
Would be nice to have some more.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #144881

Starting to change my mind on the pub thing being a good idea. Just played a round where we had 4-5 people with some variation of the name StrongCini, they may have been metacommunicating. I was also lasered by a silent HoS when i tried to tell him where the shuttle was. This is not going to work if we have absolutely no moderation
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Pascal123

Post by Pascal123 » #144882

The "Cini"'s didn't seem like they were metacommunicating to me. More like just a group of friends trying out a new game. They spent most of their time apart, too. One even asked me for help with various things.
As for the HoS, his name was Madolf Kritler or something. So... That would be expected imo.

Maybe there should be an admin notice on Bagil linking directly to the rules and starter guide page for any new players to read before jumping in?
It may be pushing it, but... Maybe even a dedicated Bagil moderator or something? Just to help with these few and far between instances, like with the HoS and blatant meta-communicators that do appear.