ERP ban discussion, no lock edition.

paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

ERP ban discussion, no lock edition.

Post by paprika » #7513

Why does every thread talking directly about ERP get locked in some form or another? This isn't erro's forum, there's no moderator bias, so just talk about it civilly. Of course, if shit gets out of hand, the thread will need to be locked, but this is a direct discussion about ERP and banning it and stuff so that we can clear this issue up and it can't be floating above our heads forever. You might need to restate your opinion on it that you have a million times but for the sake of an actual discussion coming out of this without a lock by me at least I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, to put it in perspective for new people coming to this thread, the basic idea is that a chunk of players want ERP banned for a couple of reasons. One of the reasons is that the server is 18+ but that rule is very, VERY loosely enforced because no admin really wants to be the guy who hands out bans for being 17 on an 18+ server, which is understandable. The proposed solution is to just make ERP bannable outright. The second reason is that it bothers them/detracts from the game/offends them which is an argument with considerably less basis in my opinion.

The people who want ERP to stay generally say 'grow up'. Personally, I think SoS adapting this policy of 18+ for liability reasons was a good idea, but I also think it made a lot of people consider the legal issues WAYYYY too much. I really doubt SoS is going to be arrested for running a game server that a VERY small minority of players use to ERP on, even if one or both of them is a minor, because a) that won't hold up in court b) no lawyer will ever take that shit seriously because this isn't facebook sexual predators we're talking about.

As I've said in the past, I generally think the policy should be that we don't allow ERP, but instead tolerate it, to a point. What constitutes 'taking it too far' past that point should be pretty clear :?
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Re: ERP ban discussion, no lock edition.

Post by Pandarsenic » #7519

NikNakFlak wrote:OP locked it.
I'm going to repeat for the people calling for it to be banned:
Pandarsenic wrote:Therefore, to paraphrase someone... "Go home. Nobody cares. Nobody cares how much you abhor spaceman dick. Nobody cares how cool your traitor plan was. Nobody cares. Literally nobody but you."
The only purpose served by banning it is literally "I don't have to see it." Last time I pointed this out, uh, Erro said that ERPers were sort of raping everyone on the server by emoting? Which got a little weird?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #7527

Pandarsenic wrote:The only purpose served by banning it is literally "I don't have to see it." Last time I pointed this out, uh, Erro said that ERPers were sort of raping everyone on the server by emoting? Which got a little weird?
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #7586

We should ban ERP because people are autists about it and I don't want to deal with ERP drama.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #7589

I'll always be against banning ERP.
The ERP I see happen is bad, unfunny, and annoying, yes, but I'll still defend the right to do it.
If it lets people have fun, doesn't hurt anybody, and I don't have to see it 99.99% of the time, then I don't care.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #7590

The problem with these threads is that it's a minority of people screaming about a minority of people.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #7595

Yeah, the old discussion literally turned into "there is no difference between ERP and rape," see my signature.

My stance is and always has been that it is not a big enough issue to even come remotely close to actionable, that people throw around a lot of claims like "people see us as the ERP server" with zero proof whatsoever, that there is no argument against ERP besides "I don't like it," and that if you are so drastically affected by the thought of 2D spaceman sex then that's entirely on you.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #7604

My stance is still for banning it.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #7609

we've come a long way from admins spawning carp

a long and very unnecessary way
Psyentific wrote:people are autists about it
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #7610

It's funny but it's not the ERPers being autists about it, it's people offended by it if anything.
Brotemis
Byond Username: Brotemis

Post by Brotemis » #7661

I'm all for making it bannable
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #7697

paprika wrote:It's funny but it's not the ERPers being autists about it, it's people offended by it if anything.
I know - I can draw a lot of parallels between ERPers and bronies, the people who do both, and the people who dislike both. Look at Goofball's ban request on Dawgas - Not sure if his logs show it, but earlier he was looking for an excuse to slap whatever admin action he could on both Fuzzle and Dawgas, and he was trying to cover Fuzzle with the same ban request.

This is why I don't want to deal with ERP. I can groan about the poor emotes or beepsky or grilled futa cock or whatever. I can deal. But people can be giant fucking autists about this, more than anything else in SS13, and I don't want to fucking deal with that, on either side of the issue.
Last edited by Psyentific on Wed May 21, 2014 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #7710

Spoiler:
brony erp
Alzam
Byond Username: Alzam

Post by Alzam » #7717

At the very least it should make the participating parties valid. If reading WGW over the radio makes it A-OK to get a toolbox to the head, why shouldn't this? I'm not sure when ERPers got admin protection (or if they truly do, I'm mostly going off what people have said in ghost chat/ooc the past couple weeks) but back over a year ago it was fun to publically humilate people caught ERPing before having most of the crew toss them into space, and I'll be sad if I can't do that anymore.

Overall I'd prefer it to be banned just because of the horrifying experiences I've had with it in the past. I still vividly recall a changeling round where the ling had a bunch of blown borg MMIs in their backpack (me included) and we were forced to watch the ling dress up their ERP fuck buddy as a girl and degrade them for like 15 mins in the middle of science until the shuttle was called and came. It was pretty embarrassing and gross to witness what was obviously fetish RP stuff even if nothing directly sexual happened.

That being said, is this really an issue outside Artymn these days? I haven't seen anyone do any ERP stuff on Sybil since I started playing again.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #7722

No, I don't think Sibyl is an environment that's very conducive to (e)RP.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #7724

Artyom has slow, quiet, long rounds a lot more than sybil, so naturally it's an 'issue' on arty, and basil when basil was populated. This discussion has been almost entirely basil/arty regulars, by the way, so yeah, we're basically talking about server 2/3.
BillWilson
Byond Username: TheEpicPissUmaru

Post by BillWilson » #7731

Holy fuck, why you would want to ERP in fucking spacemans anyway boggles my fucking mind. It's really great when you can't find the HoS because they're stuffed in a dorms room sucking the sole Geneticists futa-cock for 12 minutes. Over their PDA's so nobody can hear them. And they sabotaged the tcomms monitor to make sure nobody could eavesdrop. While the station is exploding and the bodies are piling up in genetics.

At least ERP in a game where it actually makes sense given the tools provided, like World of Warcraft.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #7734

BillWilson wrote: At least ERP in a game where it actually makes sense given the tools provided, like World of Warcraft.
My arguement is this in its entirety. SS13, especially as we play it, is a terrible place and setting for heavy/serious RP, to say nothing of ERP.
Nalar
Byond Username: Nalar

Post by Nalar » #7749

It doesn't bother me enough to make me even consider wanting to have it banned. If people were stripping down in the halls and were doing it right there and then on a very consistant basis that admins were unable to properly deal with, then yeah I'd consider it enough of an issue to be bannable outright. But as it is? Nah.

in my opinion, it's fine to ban the people being shit about it (fucking off as important positions to ERP), but other than that it's not something I consider an issue.

-=Forum Global Moderator=-
-=GameAdmin=-
Tell me how I'm doing.
Comrade Leo
Byond Username: ComradeLeo

Post by Comrade Leo » #7766

Clearly we must put the fear of Skeletons into the ERPers.
Deuryn

Post by Deuryn » #7778

ERP is stupid.
Valid kills are stupid.
Being this butthurt about 32x32 pixel images is stupid.
Those pixels being parallel, and completely pink is stupid.
Making admins track down those parallel pixels is stupid.

When you get right down to it, everything is a little stupid, and pointless and just outright unnecessary.

Obviously, there's only one solution.
Comrade Leo wrote:Clearly we must put the fear of Skeletons into the ERPers.
If you're desperate/horny/fucked in the head/perverse enough to get off to some 2d spessmans, as far as I'm concerned, you're opening yourself to whatever can of worms any admins present feel like unleashing on you. If you're a job key to round progression, don't ERP. That is one thing I'm not okay with. If you wanna fuck off to the dorms every round, to "bang" Amy Lessen again, fine. But don't do it if you're important to the round. Identity banning doesn't really solve the problem, so personally I'd advise that antag or head bans be applied.

Anyways, back to that fear of skeletons thing. If you REALLY wanna ERP, you willingly risk being meddled with. I encourage creative, non-lethal methods of being a bonerkill.
[23:16] <Pandarsenic> Admin talking to person who adminhelps. Conspiracy, or secret society? More at 11.
[img]http://steamsignature.com/status/english/76561198006567155.png[/img][url=steam://friends/add/76561198006567155]Image[/url]
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #7784

I like the idea of there boners getting boned by bones.
(ERPers getting attacked by skellies)
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #7797

Just make ERPers valid for adminchenannigans like it's supposed to be (who even changed this).
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #7801

The current policy for erping (or at least from an Admins perspective) is:
Admins are not allowed to erp. Aa for admin messing with erpers, it is allowed but leniency towards non-lethality is advised.
Kangaraptor
Byond Username: Kangaraptor

Post by Kangaraptor » #7803

why is this even a thing?

why do you lot feel so strongly either way about this? holy shit, it doesn't actually hurt anyone. If you don't like seeing it when you're dead, turn ghost ears off or drink a cup of concrete and toughen the fuck up.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #7813

Deuryn wrote:If you wanna fuck off to the dorms every round, to "bang" Amy Lessen again, fine.
I just wanted to announce that there is usually a trend for when Xennith visits our wonderful servers again. Usually around this time or later he comes back for 2-4 months and ERP increases tenfold. Ready your coats because it's going to be a slight downpour and drowsy all over when Xennith does come back. I propose we have admins on the clock 24/7 when he does show his face so we can inject some !!fun!! into their sex lifes.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #7852

Xennith has been back and from what I've seen has been perfectly normal. Hell, a better player than some, maybe even most, since he's actually roleplaying.

I made him harvest 4 black slime cores and a human heart to become a xeno and then he didn't try to fuck anyone as it no matter how ready my buttons were. Maybe he got bored of ERP?
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #7901

Well you DID encouage him by making him a 'peaceful' alium pandar.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #7939

I got bored and explored a bit while I couldn't connect to /tg/

I have seen what is an "ERP server"

We are not one

Trust me

Pandarsenic stares into the distance quietly and sheds a single tear.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #7956

Personally i feel that if you ERP you should lose your rule 1 protection WGW style and be fair game for the lynch mob, but thats just me.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #7962

Pandarsenic wrote:I got bored and explored a bit while I couldn't connect to /tg/

I have seen what is an "ERP server"

We are not one

Trust me

Pandarsenic stares into the distance quietly and sheds a single tear.
Did you like the sharktits?
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #7971

Sharktits? Where?
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #8105

callanrockslol wrote:Personally i feel that if you ERP you should lose your rule 1 protection WGW style and be fair game for the lynch mob, but thats just me.
You only become valid if you read porn over radio or otherwise in public. If that's not the case, it should be. One shouldn't be lynched for whispering porn in some dark corner (doesn't fucking matter for what reason one would do it) because validseeking greyshirt stumbled upon them. ERP should work in the same way. As long as it's kept reasonably private, it's fine.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #8156

Pandarsenic wrote:Xennith has been back and from what I've seen has been perfectly normal. Hell, a better player than some, maybe even most, since he's actually roleplaying.

I made him harvest 4 black slime cores and a human heart to become a xeno and then he didn't try to fuck anyone as it no matter how ready my buttons were. Maybe he got bored of ERP?
Hum.
He was never a "bad player".
He's just infamous for ERPing, he usually gets asked to do it in the first place. And he never really abused the fact that he was a Xeno which is why the admins usually gave it to him in the first place.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #8914

erp is a non-issue
these threads are always retarded

if someone is doing something against the rules, ban them.
dont come crying to the fucking forums and try to get some barely-related shitty policy put in place
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #8923

Sawrge effectively being the voice of reason again, listen up kids.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #9868

Fuck.That.SHIT

You are literally a subhuman piece of shit for ERPing. Ban it, Make it valid, whatever.

It's fucking disgusting, it makes people feel uncomfortable and awkward. If you're gonna ban rape for those reasons then at least have a consistent fucking policy and do the same for ERP because jesus christ it makes me sick.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #9914

Tornadium wrote: It's fucking disgusting, it makes people feel uncomfortable and awkward. If you're gonna ban rape for those reasons then at least have a consistent fucking policy and do the same for ERP because jesus christ it makes me sick.
Ghost ears > only hear things near you
Ghost eyes > Only see emotes from near you
stay away from ERP there you go you're safe from the big bad sexy time :( just like your american tv! no sexual organs in this club!
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #9916

ERP is the most fun I've had in ages.

I also happened to be an AI lying about lings to get sec to storm the place where the ERPers where erping and I may have subsequently had more fun at the expense of ERPers by directing vigilantes to their location and then contributed to the bullying until one person yelled out that we were a bunch of cock-blocking assholes.

ERP literally only is a problem if you have thin skin and don't know how to have fun.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #9934

But they put verbs, adjectives and nouns in a way that means it's sexual in nature! I also want animals out in the wild that partake in this illicit activity to have censor irl!!!
I mean I don't exactly like ERP people but I'm not going to such extremes and say that it makes people "feel awkward" and it's worst than rape. No, horrible ERP is fucking hilarious and good ERP is boring, but if it makes you physically ill I think you need to look back at your internet habits because maybe this server and the majority of the internet isn't for you.
Preamble
Byond Username: Preamble

Post by Preamble » #14920

The only obvious solution is to merge our server with vorestation 13.
Helios127
Rarely plays

Post by Helios127 » #14925

Man, I dont get you guys.

I play all the time and have only seen some ERP like, once.

Then again, I play on Artyom and not Sybil where I remember there being Space Lesbian Medical gangs, so.
just play on /vg/station, go have fun for christs sake
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #14952

but thats the exact opposite of the stereotype
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Braindude

Post by Braindude » #14963

i dont rly get ERP

but

if you don't like it to the point of wanting it banned

dont look at it/listen to it

it is simple

Sloan Strange Cups Vixen's booty-
I play apple ringer

Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #14964

Neerti wrote:The problem with these threads is that it's a minority of people screaming about a minority of people.
In all honestly, who cares?
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
Mat13295
Byond Username: Mat13295

Post by Mat13295 » #15091

>Vore station

Dear christ, that's a thing?
I don't even play here anymore, hue.
Ivan Issaccs
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Ivanissaccs

Post by Ivan Issaccs » #15092

Helios127 wrote:Man, I dont get you guys.

I play all the time and have only seen some ERP like, once.

Then again, I play on Artyom and not Sybil where I remember there being Space Lesbian Medical gangs, so.
I've seen more ERP on Artyom in the past month than I have in the past three years on TG.
That said I dont give a fuck, doesnt affect me while playing and its funny shit when I'm ghosted.
Whiners gonna whine.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #15098

I like the idea of ERP being treated like reading porn or WGW over the radio, as in if you stumble across them in the middle of fucking, you're free to kill them. It adds a sort of slasher movie element I find rather fitting for SS13. Besides, if you really want to ERP without any interruption, do it on Skype or something.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #15112

im pretty sure most of the erp on artyom is the same couple of people doing it a lot instead of a lot of people doing it
and considering how several of sigurd's old players now play on artyom it's not surprising
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Mat13295
Byond Username: Mat13295

Post by Mat13295 » #15129

miggles wrote:im pretty sure most of the erp on artyom is the same couple of people doing it a lot instead of a lot of people doing it
and considering how several of sigurd's old players now play on artyom it's not surprising
Pfft, most sigurd players either stopped playing ss13 altogether or just went to pubbie servers/bay/goon. Only other person i know from sigurd who plays on Artyom is like...Dawgas.
I don't even play here anymore, hue.