What the fuck happened to hunger?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Redblaze3000
Byond Username: Redblaze3000

What the fuck happened to hunger?

Post by Redblaze3000 » #149433

Is it gone or was it removed for not contributing to validhunting?
Thundercoot
Byond Username: Erwgd

Re: What the fuck happened to hunger?

Post by Thundercoot » #149437

Hunger's still around, but it takes much longer now, and normally comes after about an hour into the round.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #149439

That makes Chef's job even less useful and rewarding. There's nothing worst than stocking the counter with fancy food that no one eats.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Redblaze3000

Post by Redblaze3000 » #149440

Thundercoot wrote:Hunger's still around, but it takes much longer now, and normally comes after about an hour into the round.
Thats fucking retarded when a average round on sybil is over in a hour.
Pascal123
Byond Username: Pascal123

Post by Pascal123 » #149443

I actually miss needing to eat as if my character had a large tapeworm eating all sustenance.
Was nice for chefs making food, put the vending machines to use, and cargo would have a reason to order pizza. The janitor would have messes to clean, Too.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #149451

What's the point of hunger with no fatsprites?
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #149454

Hunger was an interesting mechanic when it actually played a part in the round. Making it pointless until one hour in is just weird.
TheWulfe
Byond Username: TheWulfe

Post by TheWulfe » #149458

Eh, hunger isn't a big deal I feel it's only an immersions thing.

Personally I hated getting punished with a speed penalty for doing important round related stuff and interactions whenever I didn't have time to feed the all-consuming hunger tapeworm and play pretend-eat.
Redblaze3000

Post by Redblaze3000 » #149460

TheWulfe wrote:Eh, hunger isn't a big deal I feel it's only an immersions thing.

Personally I hated getting punished with a speed penalty for doing important round related stuff and interactions whenever I didn't have time to feed the all-consuming hunger tapeworm and play pretend-eat.
Looks like we should just remove chef and bartender then. They're only 'an immersions' thing.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #149461

>call everyone validhunters and powergamers while declaring a job has no RP value unless it is critical to station survival

Okay
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #149464

Hunger was a bad idea from the start. All it did in regard to roleplay was break roleplay sessions elsewhere on the station because "BRB need to eat because hunger broke my legs". There is no reason to make everyone on the station need to suffer with some dumb mechanic just to make one inherently useless job barely any more useful.

I really consider hunger as one of the biggest deterrents to roleplay that TGS has. Nobody roleplays because of hunger, and I'd wager a significant amount of roleplay is broken specifically because of hunger.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #149466

Hunger was great, it actually got people to come out of their autism forts and take a break from whatever they were doing to go grab a bite to eat. Anything that causes people to leave their fortresses of solitude and interact with other people in the crew is a good thing

I've had plenty of times where I got hungry at the same time as some of the people around me (since we spawned at the same time, simulating a lunch rush), and we all knocked off from standing around in medbay/engineering to go grab some food and hang out, and it was fun
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #149471

Who made this change? It's pretty dumb.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #149478

Shaps wrote:Hunger was great, it actually got people to come out of their autism forts and take a break from whatever they were doing to go grab a bite to eat. Anything that causes people to leave their fortresses of solitude and interact with other people in the crew is a good thing
This is why hunger exists.

Although its so traitors have a chance to whack you.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #149501

It'd be great if food actually did things to you other than fill your hunger bar and give literally unnoticeable benefits.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #149509

Zilenan91 wrote:It'd be great if food actually did things to you other than fill your hunger bar and give literally unnoticeable benefits.
does nutriment not slowly heal you anymore? i distinctly remember saving a man's life by forcefeeding him vegetables while he was in crit and slamming his chest over and over.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #149516

Yeah nutriment doesn't heal anymore. I don't know who removed it but it was probably paprika.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #149520

Nutriment only has a 50% chance every tick to heal 1 brute, while vitamins, which are only found in prepared food/growns can heal 1 brute and burn, and keeping you more full. It makes prepared foods and grown food a lot better than vending machine stuff in terms of fullness and long-term healing.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #149522

Zilenan91 wrote:Yeah nutriment doesn't heal anymore. I don't know who removed it but it was probably paprika.
do not talk out of your anus my friend
nutriment heals an EXTREMELY SMALL AMOUNT, what you want from food is Vitamin, which is generally only found in well prepared food (such as some of the chef's meals like burgers, but not in raw corgi meat or vending machines)
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #149526

There's also sugar which fills up your hunger bar a bit but you can't have too much junk food so you can't use it to fill up your bar (unless you just drink pure sugar)
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #149527

I was using the paprika ruined everything meme.

Also yeh I know what Vitamin is. It gives such a small benefit that it's literally unnoticeable.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #149531

Zilenan91 wrote:I was using the paprika ruined everything meme.

Also yeh I know what Vitamin is. It gives such a small benefit that it's literally unnoticeable.
it gives the vast majority of food healing you dip
it's not good for combat but can get those smaller booboos off in five seconds
Spoiler:
Pascal123
Byond Username: Pascal123

Post by Pascal123 » #149581

Hunger wasn't a deterrent to roleplay in my opinion. People made food for each-other. People would congregate in some sort of designated dining hall area and chat to eachother a bit while eating and drinking. It was like break time.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #149589

Pascal123 wrote:Hunger wasn't a deterrent to roleplay in my opinion. People made food for each-other. People would congregate in some sort of designated dining hall area and chat to eachother a bit while eating and drinking. It was like break time.
more like "cut up the CMO's cat and eat it's raw flesh" time
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #149592

All hunger did was make you eat some candy from a machine once in a while, it honestly was never that much of a influence on the round with or without the Chef.

It's more a minor gimmick than anything, with no real effect if it remains or is changed.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #149595

End-tier food that lets you get temporary genetic powers when?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #149598

I'd love it if we just abolished the Chef job and made the Bartender do both of them. Not sure how the mapping would work on Box but it'd probably be doable on Meta pretty easily.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #149625

Do a lifeweb and make hunger happen quicker, doesn't slow you down but when you're starving you're passing out and taking damage every so often.

this is not a serious suggestion, don't do this, it'd be shit.
Babin
Byond Username: Babin

Post by Babin » #149742

Remember when vending machine food was nerfed to make chef food more appealing?

lmao
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #149745

I mean it kinda worked, on basil anyways. When hunger was fast and vitamins were new we would usually have people make interesting food, or at the very least throw a pizza party
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #149750

Can't let anything get in the way of the valid train.
Choo choo.
JohntheRipper
Byond Username: JohntheRipper

Post by JohntheRipper » #151024

I discussed the hunger/cook problem with a few people in the minor feedback thread a while ago. The results of out discussion were that:
JohntheRipper wrote:So we agree that the cook/cooking needs to be buffed.

The question right now is if we want do it with negative reinforcement (buff hunger) or with positive reinforcement (buff the foods effects).

While buffing hunger is easily done it may provoke backslash from users. Buffing food items made by the cook is more likely to be accepted, but will require more work and balancing.

I think it would be beneficial if hunger is buffed moderately while also food items receive better effects. The improvement of food items could also be used to reward cooks (and eaters) for crafting the more exotic meals.
Random Players wrote:I want to note, that if such is done, please make sure something like 'Ration Bars' are added to the Miner Reward Point items at a reasonable price. Something that while not giving any bonuses, fills for a long time. So long mining expeditions are fully feasible.
That is, if hunger is buffed so that such might be a issue.
Landon Noton / Rebecca Rhinehart
Babin
Byond Username: Babin

Post by Babin » #151254

We've seen the whole thing where we buff the chef and nerf other food sources. The entire station used to be able to survive off of 4no raisins. Then sugar was added to them, and sugar was changed to royally screw up your metabolism so you became hungry faster, which made vendor food pointless. That turned out to be awful and people were going hungry in so many rounds, so sugar was made less terrible. Grown/cooked food DID get vitamins at some point during all this, which went a long way towards making them better. Vitamin is actually pretty nice as a source of nutrition and minor healing.

If feeding the station is too dependent upon the chef, then there is a single point of failure. If the chef isn't going their job then the entire station suffers for it. I probably don't need to mention that there are dozens of reasons why a chef might not do their job. They could be new, braindead, killed early by antag, actually ARE antag (especially blobs, which typically fuck right off at roundstart), run off to be borged because they don't feel like cooking, or they don't exist because nobody was picked to be Chef.
If the station has other usable food outlets, then the chef is redundant. Botanists can produce more food than the chef can dream of. Chemists can produce huge amounts of sugar with the press of a button, and smart ones can even make nutriment within their own office. Scientists can copy chemists after a few minutes of research. At that point, the chef exists primarily to take pressure off of the other food-capable jobs, and to roleplay. Roleplaying is fine.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #151255

No one (I hope) is satying to make chef some vital job. Just to bring them back to where they were, and where they have been for most of the game's history - somewhat useful.
Right now there is literally no point in the chef since even if you want to RP eat, you'll eat a tub of shit, then you'll be full for 3 hours because of the gay changes.
Previously, people could rely on vendors if need be (which strained under highpop/long rounds, which is perfectly fine), but going to the kitchen if there was food out was preferred.

Also somewhat related, but before the way food was changes, I honestly found being a chef fun, provided someone did a little botany. You could crank out a bunch of shit and lay out feast. Microwave upgrades let you shit out loads of stuff with little effort, which meant it wasn't stressful, evenwith a 60 man crew needing to be fed.
Table crafting it pretty... shit, in comparison, which is a shame since I was pretty hyped for it before it changed.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #151256

Cup Ramen from the vendors is all the food you'll ever need currently. I wouldn't mind if there was more emphasis on the chef.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #151262

You don't need ANY food currently, with how hunger has been changed - rounds never last long enough for hunger to even drop.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #151263

lumipharon wrote:You don't need ANY food currently, with how hunger has been changed - rounds never last long enough for hunger to even drop.
That's supposing you do nothing all round. If you get cold (from breaches/cryo) or you puke (too much tox damage/viruses) your hunger drops fast.

Not to mention how convenient food is for patching up those minor bits of damage. I always grab some food and compliment the chef if I get the chance.
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #151264

yes but neither have to with what the thread is about - how the passive hunger drain has been reduced to practically nothing.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #151307

Also, even if hunger does become important, it's not all reliant on one guy. There are two cooks, two botanists, and a bartender in service, all of whom can easily get into the kitchen and start making things. There's also the fact it's very easy to climb into the kitchen for literally any assistant that wants to cook food too.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #151385

There's meant to be one cook and one chef.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #151418

remove fullness so i can eat 15 plates full of spaghetti
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer

Post by Shaps-cloud » #151424

What's the difference between a cook and a chef besides outfits?

Also there's still the assgarden if you want to grow some food as a nonbotanist during downtime
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #151428

There can be many cooks in a kitchen, but only one chef.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #151432

Chef could be seen as the subcommander of foodtopia, like the QM is subcommander of cargotopia.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #151500

Or just give the bartender chef access so he can pull double duty in his downtime
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #161352

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/16076

Turns out hunger has been turned off entirely since October
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #161353

PAHAhahAHAHAHAHA
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #161464

>hunger removed for months
>nobody can even tell
>"yeah it just starts to kick in after an hour"

lmfao
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #161465

Many noticed, we just thought it was changed.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #161485

Use this opportunity to remove the annoyance. Obviously nobody cares.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.