ERP ban discussion, no lock edition.

paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

ERP ban discussion, no lock edition.

Post by paprika » #7513

Bottom post of the previous page:

Why does every thread talking directly about ERP get locked in some form or another? This isn't erro's forum, there's no moderator bias, so just talk about it civilly. Of course, if shit gets out of hand, the thread will need to be locked, but this is a direct discussion about ERP and banning it and stuff so that we can clear this issue up and it can't be floating above our heads forever. You might need to restate your opinion on it that you have a million times but for the sake of an actual discussion coming out of this without a lock by me at least I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, to put it in perspective for new people coming to this thread, the basic idea is that a chunk of players want ERP banned for a couple of reasons. One of the reasons is that the server is 18+ but that rule is very, VERY loosely enforced because no admin really wants to be the guy who hands out bans for being 17 on an 18+ server, which is understandable. The proposed solution is to just make ERP bannable outright. The second reason is that it bothers them/detracts from the game/offends them which is an argument with considerably less basis in my opinion.

The people who want ERP to stay generally say 'grow up'. Personally, I think SoS adapting this policy of 18+ for liability reasons was a good idea, but I also think it made a lot of people consider the legal issues WAYYYY too much. I really doubt SoS is going to be arrested for running a game server that a VERY small minority of players use to ERP on, even if one or both of them is a minor, because a) that won't hold up in court b) no lawyer will ever take that shit seriously because this isn't facebook sexual predators we're talking about.

As I've said in the past, I generally think the policy should be that we don't allow ERP, but instead tolerate it, to a point. What constitutes 'taking it too far' past that point should be pretty clear :?
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Mat13295
Byond Username: Mat13295

Re: ERP ban discussion, no lock edition.

Post by Mat13295 » #15129

miggles wrote:im pretty sure most of the erp on artyom is the same couple of people doing it a lot instead of a lot of people doing it
and considering how several of sigurd's old players now play on artyom it's not surprising
Pfft, most sigurd players either stopped playing ss13 altogether or just went to pubbie servers/bay/goon. Only other person i know from sigurd who plays on Artyom is like...Dawgas.
I don't even play here anymore, hue.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #15132

That explains it.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #15138

um mat are you forgetting yourself
also phoal
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #15245

Mat said "only other" as in himself included....
miggles

Post by miggles » #15296

nuhuh
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #15326

miggles wrote:im pretty sure most of the erp on artyom is the same couple of people doing it a lot instead of a lot of people doing it
and considering how several of sigurd's old players now play on artyom it's not surprising
as ever
>mfw

but no really I think I've been doing most of the ERP in the last month.
phoal too, probably.
feedback appreciated here <3
miggles

Post by miggles » #15351

probably
as if there is any doubt that PHOAL is erping
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #15364

Getting absorbed by a nude changeling doesn't count as erp higgin
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Usednapkin

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #15407

but i played on sigurd
i play :):):):):)autumn sinnow
this man's:):):):):) army
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

miggles

Post by miggles » #15412

yeah but you got banned pretty early in
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #15414

miggles wrote:yeah but you got banned pretty early in
I was an admin.
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #15415

no he didn't
what
crack is whack but smacks got your back
miggles

Post by miggles » #15427

yeah you were an admin and then you got banned
Helios127
Rarely plays

Post by Helios127 » #15435

I know this is the no lock edition

but I really feel this needs a lock.
just play on /vg/station, go have fun for christs sake
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #15496

No. Not until we reach a consensus like good adults.
Mat13295

Post by Mat13295 » #15524

Guess it's going to be here forever then.
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #15533

miggles

Post by miggles » #15546

just stop with the cancer killing /tg/ shit dude i dont want to listen to your gross stoner voice
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #15558

miggles wrote:just stop with the cancer killing /tg/ shit dude i dont want to listen to your gross stoner voice
no

Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #15578

miggles wrote:just stop with the cancer killing /tg/ shit dude i dont want to listen to your gross stoner voice
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #15598

geilebeer wrote:
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #15623

no.
y'all wouldn't know sultry voices if they hit you like a truck and then began whispering into your ear in a seductive and erotic way.

faggots.
Higgin
In-Game Admin

Post by Higgin » #15631

My personal hope for a consensus:

ERPers can ERP away as long as it's not public and obtrusive.
The normal harassing and interruption that always happens can go on but rule one protection extends up to point of violence and killing.
For people who are uncomfortable about it: the site has a disclaimer and observers have ghost ears/eyes, but we should look at making some sort of selective ghost mute that mutes specific players' emotes/says from appearing into players' personal chat logs.
People who ERP in non-assistant or non-important roles like medical, security, engineering before power's set up or any head role should be warned, jobbanned, and then banned in that order for each instance of the conduct after the punishment given prior.

That'd resolve everything.
miggles

Post by miggles » #15642

ColonicAcid wrote:no.
y'all wouldn't know sultry voices if they hit you like a truck and then began whispering into your ear in a seductive and erotic way.

faggots.
maybe, but i can assure you that napkun would not be driving that truck

also on topic ban erp its bad
i really would like to see erp banned, and i think that pretty much everyone who does it is bad
and anyone who would leave if it was banned would not be worth missing anyway
but its never going to happen
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #15645

It's funny but I'd only like to see erp banned if a server moved towards a more roleplay-centric kind of community, because like with bay, it kind of has a stigma and ruins good roleplay by flooding it with retarded erp shit in dorms. But in this community? It's so rare and since it's usually shitters I don't mind because we get to have fun with them. Any self-respecting actually roleplay-focused community would ban it, but since /tg/ isn't that, there's no reason to do so.
Helios127
Rarely plays

Post by Helios127 » #15823

Ok. Lets slightly change the subject so we can get something out of this no lock shit post edition of the thread.

At what point are promiscuious actions rape and thus bannable? For instance, is going up and slapping peoples butts 'rape'? I am not arguing that going up to some random person and tying in /me fucks PERSON X hard shouldent be bannable, but I remember someone being banned simply for slapping peoples butts.

Discuss.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #15836

People have been banned for "promiscuous actions" against simple mobs and imaginary objects, so I mean. It really just comes down to "don't be creepy."
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
miggles

Post by miggles » #15839

it really comes down to "did the person get offended by it" and thats literally it
trying to define what makes it a "legitimate rape" is horrible, we're not the US justice system
you would think players would be mature enough to know not to sexually harass people in a video game but i guess not
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #15842

but is it sexual harassment if I do it to someone I know doesn't care and sees it as a joke.
this isn't black and white miggles that's the thing, it would be extremely easy to rule if it was, honestly it depends on context, going up to a random person who you don't know and slapping their ass? yeah that's p. creepy don't do that.
going up to someone you've known for a year/whatever and slapping their butt? if they're not hyper sensitive then they shouldn't care and will probably see the funny side of it.
Antonkr
Byond Username: Antonkr

Post by Antonkr » #15852

it's a pretty cut case of if someone was being a creepy fuck, and when someone is outright raping someone. Typically if someone is simply being creepy, they are told to stop, or risk a permaban. If it's outright rape (yes there is a one definition for rape), then they get banned. It isn't rocket science.
No longer an admin by own free will. Feel free to add me on steam.
Helios127
Rarely plays

Post by Helios127 » #15853

Antonkr wrote:it's a pretty cut case of if someone was being a creepy fuck, and when someone is outright raping someone. Typically if someone is simply being creepy, they are told to stop, or risk a permaban. If it's outright rape (yes there is a one definition for rape), then they get banned. It isn't rocket science.
Nah, not really and being creepy is also a legit clown tactic, albeit in diffrent ways.

Sometimes as a clown, I like to not-so-silently follow someone as they go through their daily routine, honkspamming my backpack. Please tell me how this isnt creepy.

Likewise I think the line should actually be drawn AT slapping peoples butts. Grabbing crotch? Rape. Petting hair? Not rape, but creepy (and not actionable). Call sec if it keeps happening.
miggles

Post by miggles » #15857

ColonicAcid wrote:but is it sexual harassment if I do it to someone I know doesn't care and sees it as a joke.
this isn't black and white miggles that's the thing, it would be extremely easy to rule if it was, honestly it depends on context, going up to a random person who you don't know and slapping their ass? yeah that's p. creepy don't do that.
going up to someone you've known for a year/whatever and slapping their butt? if they're not hyper sensitive then they shouldn't care and will probably see the funny side of it.
nigga you do realize youre trying to disagree with me by agreeing to everything i just said
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #15912

If someone slapped my character's butt i'd want them weekbanned, the purity of my character is extremely important to me and people ignoring that offends me to an extent where it makes me feel extremely uncomfortable and triggered.

No but really the only erpers anymore, on sybil or artyom, are also shitty players so i don't see what's wrong with banning it at this point. Like PG-13 kissing is totally fine but we should ban hand-holding it's fucking disgusting every time I see that shit like come on children play here guys
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #15947

How does ERP hurt anyone

Higgin
In-Game Admin

Post by Higgin » #15960

paprika wrote:No but really the only erpers anymore, on sybil or artyom, are also shitty players
Helios127
Rarely plays

Post by Helios127 » #15987

Well, at least I tried to have this be a mature discussion
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #16025

Higgin wrote:
paprika wrote:No but really the only erpers anymore, on sybil or artyom, are also shitty players
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_n20qj ... _cover.jpg
>tumblr
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #16269

ColonicAcid wrote:but is it sexual harassment if I do it to someone I know doesn't care and sees it as a joke.
The /tg/station guide on how to tell if your creepy sexual actions are going to get you banned:
Did anyone adminhelp? If so, you're fucked. Otherwise you're probably fine. Probably.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Ivan Issaccs
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Ivanissaccs

Post by Ivan Issaccs » #16301

Slapping asses is ban worthy?

I've punched people in clubs for this but I didnt phone the damn police, fuck me.
miggles

Post by miggles » #16303

you could legally do that though
its sexual harassment/assault/something
Ivan Issaccs
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Ivanissaccs

Post by Ivan Issaccs » #16305

But to do that I would have had to be a cum guzzling cock whore and then I wouldnt have had an issue in the first place.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #16344

Europe please go we all know you want to be NTRd by black dudes anyway.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #16362

[youtube]mfdtjbUfdac[/youtube]
europes national anthem.
Last edited by ColonicAcid on Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miggles

Post by miggles » #16363

i know what that image is from
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #16364

ever since i found that song i post that shit everywhere it pretty much goes with every occasion
Alzam
Byond Username: Alzam

Post by Alzam » #18554

A few days ago there was a round where the AI was rogue, and instead of helping, two people (who had stolen two pairs of insulated gloves, which the crew needed badly, and full toolbelts) stayed in the library backroom doing some fruity as hell erp, (it was in whispers too so all ghosts saw it). Wouldn't have been as bad if they had not taken tools and insuls only to make sure their erp wasn't disturbed. I know normal crewman have no actual obligation to help the station but come the fuck on, metagaming tools and insuls to ensure your fuck session isn't interrupted shouldn't be allowed. Powergaming is bad in general and if we're going to allow erp we shouldn't allow them to deprive the station of important resources while doing nothing.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #18564

In all seriousness, if someone wants to ERP so badly, what's stopping them from doing it over any other way of communicating?

I mean, there is a ton of ways to send your messages to someone, and all of them except one are not this one.

Why do they really need to do it in the way that can and usually does annoy some people when they can easily do it in a way that doesn't.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #18673

Alzam wrote:Powergaming is bad in general
Alzam wrote:blaming people for not contributing to victory
I get the point, but it's funny.
Isane
Byond Username: Isane

Post by Isane » #18698

Alzam wrote:Stuff
And how is that different from people not ERPing, but still completely incompetent and wasting resources and such during situations where the entire crew needs to be on deck, like Nuke Ops, Blob, Malf, etc. ?
Mat13295

Post by Mat13295 » #18717

I already have an inkling who these two were and all i can really say is ding dong bannu

Stealing important resources to erp during an emergency should be treated the same as a CE fucking off into spess round start.
Alzam
Byond Username: Alzam

Post by Alzam » #18753

Isane wrote:
Alzam wrote:Stuff
And how is that different from people not ERPing, but still completely incompetent and wasting resources and such during situations where the entire crew needs to be on deck, like Nuke Ops, Blob, Malf, etc. ?

Outside Blob (cuz blob is not fun to fight) I rarely see people actively refuse to participate in some way in those round types. Obviously this is anecdotal evidence and I understand your point, and it is a valid one. The fact that they were erping is honestly only relevant because I feel if you're going to be a serial ERPer, and use the game -only- as a vehicle to erp with someone, you should not stealing important things like insuls during a rogue ai round.