Stake-thrower crossbow.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Stake-thrower crossbow.

Post by TheNightingale » #154880

Yes, now you too can shoot things through the heart with stakes.

Tablecrafted using:
5 metal rods
1 gun stock (made from wood)
30u holy water
3 silver bars
1 null rod (or equivalent holy weapon)

It's a two-handed holy crossbow that shoots stakes at people. It's a bulky item (although it fits on your back), which carries the null rod's anti-magic abilities and requires both hands to use. You can make a stake by using a sharp object on a plank of wood; when fired from the crossbow, these do 20 brute damage, with a small chance to embed. Like the kinetic speargun, they can be recovered after use (unless they embed), and the crossbow must be reloaded manually by drawing back the string and inserting the new stake after each shot. Stakes can be dipped in liquids (like cigarettes) to transfer up to 5u of any reagent into the target. Special stakes can be created this way as well; after creating a special stake, you can dip it in a liquid again (as the original reagent was destroyed when the stake was made). Stakes are all Small items.

There are a few different types of stakes, too:
* Holy stake. Use a silver bar on a stake containing 5u holy water, and the stake becomes holy (and silver-tipped), doing 35 damage (with double to revenants, undead and constructs of the Cult of Nar'Sie).
* Depleted uranium stake. Use a uranium bar on a stake containing 5u unstable mutagen, and the stake becomes poisonous, doing the standard 20 damage, with a bonus 20 toxin damage.
* Diamond stake. Use a diamond bar on a stake containing 5u gold, and the stake becomes hardened, doing 45 damage with a guaranteed embed.
* Incendiary stake. Use a plasma bar on a stake containing 5u alcohol (any kind), and the stake becomes flammable, doing the standard 20 damage, but with an additional 5 burn damage; it also sets the target on fire.
* Healing stake. Use a roll of gauze on a stake containing 5u Doctor's Delight, and the stake becomes healing, doing no damage, but healing the target for 30 of all types of damage (brute, burn, oxygen and toxin). Healing stakes cannot embed.
* Sirloin stake. Use a slab of meat on a stake containing 5u nutriment, and the stake becomes a steak, doing no damage, but refilling the target's hunger bar to satiated. Sirloin stakes cannot embed.

When on Harm intent, and targeting the chest of someone lying down, you can attempt to hammer in the stake (taking around ten seconds); if successful, this has three times the stake's usual effect, and is a guaranteed embed (when not a healing/sirloin stake).

Additionally, a special adminspawn repeater crossbow, which can store up to eight stakes at once, and doesn't need to have its string drawn back.

Hold on, isn't this overpowered?
You can only make one of them, since they require null rods; additionally, it's clunkier than the Mosin-Nagant, requiring you to draw the string back, then use the bolt on it. See it like a double-barrelled shotgun that only has a capacity of one. It's also a bulky item, so good luck hiding it, and requires hard-to-get items from a variety of departments.

Okay, but 45 damage and a guaranteed embed for the diamond stake?
It's still not as robust as a revolver, and that requires you to have diamonds and gold, as well as wood for the stake.

What about the repeater crossbow? You can just spam 45-brute shots.
Yes, that's the point. It's adminspawn-only.

How can shooting someone with a crossbow heal them?
Ask Valve.

Isn't doing 60 damage to someone in melee combat a little powerful?
Given that they have to be on the floor for ten seconds, not really. You'd be better off just smashing their face in with a toolbox.
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Re: Stake-thrower crossbow.

Post by EndgamerAzari » #154882

As much as this combines several things I like--improvised weapons, customizable ammo, and impaling people--I worry that this sort of thing would wind up making the Chaplain into a (usually-unnecessary) menace nearly every round.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #154886

It'd require the Chaplain to somehow get a ton of fancy minerals, as well as not be arrested for having a huge crossbow (did I mention it doesn't fit in bags?). It also consumes the null rod/holy weapon, so they wouldn't be able to use that for robust melee combat (stakes aren't robust if they take ten seconds to use per hit), and when the Chaplain asks for minerals, everyone knows what it's for. Its main strength is probably being good at opening strikes - with the most powerful stake, the diamond one, doing 45+embed per hit. The problem is, though, it's not a stun (unless they get Beepsky Smash too), so the target can always just retaliate as usual, albeit with a stake in their arm.
Boredone
Byond Username: Boredone

Post by Boredone » #154893

While not an expert, I believe you can already aim a shot at someones head point blank for a delayed, but 5 times as strong shot, so the hammering wouldn't be that useful cept for the embed.
Don't recall exactly how you do it though, but pretty sure it exists.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #154901

this will literally never get crafted
it requires silver from mining and the null rod, meaning the chaplain has to not turn the null rod into a chainsaw sword or whatever
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #154902

>it requires silver from mining and the null rod, meaning the chaplain has to not turn the null rod into a chainsaw sword or whatever

They're all null rods code wise so it'd still work.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #154903

Kor wrote:>it requires silver from mining and the null rod, meaning the chaplain has to not turn the null rod into a chainsaw sword or whatever

unless the chaplain picks one that sticks it to his hand
Spoiler:
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #154913

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Kor wrote:>it requires silver from mining and the null rod, meaning the chaplain has to not turn the null rod into a chainsaw sword or whatever

unless the chaplain picks one that sticks it to his hand
I could be wrong about this, but I think tablecrafting will let you use items in your hands.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #154916

A ranged weapon that does bad-ish damage but has a good embed and is cheap to craft would be cool.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #154919

ShadowDimentio wrote:A ranged weapon that does bad-ish damage but has a good embed and is cheap to craft would be cool.
This isn't that.

In all seriousness, why tie this to the Chaplain? Seems like there should be a non-holy version (perhaps it can only fire normal stakes?).

Balance note: This is still less dangerous then a pneumatic cannon packed with glass shards.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #154920

This is literally only a suggestion so Chaplains can be witchhunters with a crossbow and a bible full of stakes. HAVE AT THEE, FOUL BEAST OF THE BYOND, I BANISH THEE TO THE UNDERWORLD FROM WHENCE YOU CAME!, and so on.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #154961

This sounds suitably clunky and awesome.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #154964

I never thought I would see the day where people actually want to play as the Chaplain.

I don't object to this simply because the requirments to getting it are pretty high, in that requiring more rare minerals and a Null Rod(whatever state its in).
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #154982

PKPenguin321 wrote:this will literally never get crafted
it requires silver from mining and the null rod, meaning the chaplain has to not turn the null rod into a chainsaw sword or whatever

You forget that surgery tables are made with silver right?
The future is horrible!
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #155001

I miss being Chaplin and writing silly prayers and performing rituals and funerals and offering to counsel people. Its a super high demand job now ever since the crusader armor got added and everyone decided to start worshipping DEUS VALID
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #155002

Ezel wrote:

There are only three surgery tables on the station - Robotics, Surgery and maintenance - and they only give two bars each. Good luck convincing Science/Medical to give up theirs.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #155005

TheNightingale wrote:
Ezel wrote:

There are only three surgery tables on the station - Robotics, Surgery and maintenance - and they only give two bars each. Good luck convincing Science/Medical to give up theirs.
Don't forget the two starting silver at cargo
The future is horrible!
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #155063

starting silver only exists on box
regardless, that's still way too much effort for it to ever really be crafted anywhere after day 1 of it's release
Spoiler:
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #155962

When are we going to have the Chaplain version of an ERT?
5 guys in crusader armor with stake shooting crossbows, holy water grenades, bibles, reskinned nullrods and holy silver daggers.
Sent when the station is over-run with cult constructs or zombies.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #156014

I seem to recall a witch hunter with all kinds of cool shit including thermals, holy water and a badass stovepipe hat. Not sure if it is an adminspawnnable equipment set or if that was just a one-off
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #156186

It's adminspawnable but not in the costume list so it won't appear in multiverse sword rounds as an example.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS