Little things you learned that are game changing

General SS13 Chat
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Re: Little things you learned that are game changing

Post by Ezel » #153798

Bottom post of the previous page:

Zilenan91 wrote:Would you rather have an infinite stun ggnore gun or would you rather have a revolver that blows up in your face
Well if the gun can get its first shot on the person by slowing him down by the damage then the second downs him then yes

And a taser you can adrenal out of it a very lethal gun not
The future is horrible!
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #153870

Execution shots (mouth, countdown, timer) do much more damage than regular shots. They always crit, and a second shot kills. I am certain it works that way with the stechkin and laser gun, I haven't tried the detective's revolver with it but I'd be very surprised if it's different. It is, then, a good way to save ammunition.
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #153871

CosmicScientist wrote:
Ezel wrote:
Zilenan91 wrote:Would you rather have an infinite stun ggnore gun or would you rather have a revolver that blows up in your face
Well if the gun can get its first shot on the person by slowing him down by the damage then the second downs him then yes

And a taser you can adrenal out of it a very lethal gun not

Code: Select all

/obj/item/projectile/bullet
	name = "bullet"
	icon_state = "bullet"
	damage = 60
	damage_type = BRUTE
	nodamage = 0
	flag = "bullet"

/obj/item/projectile/bullet/weakbullet2 //detective revolver instastuns, but multiple shots are better for keeping punks down
	damage = 15
	weaken = 3
	stamina = 50
15*6 = 90 damage + 300 stamina and whatever weaken does. Two shots and they're bleeding, three shots and food won't solve their open wound. Any number of shots and they're either reaching for adrenal or they're done for.

I can't figure out where the modified revolver's chances are for have .357 chambered but I think it's at the least chance with one bullet in... which isn't efficient and RNG will always bite your arse in the end if you want to not get hurt or die.

Oh and as you're the detective against people with adrenal glands or implants, I imagine you're on the station's side with a team of redshirts with tasers/a HoP with the armoury in their backpack. You might not need to shoot to kill.

Also of note:

Code: Select all

if(!do_mob(user, target, 120) || user.zone_selected != "mouth")
If you do the "Pointing at thingy's head, deciding whether or not to spare their life" thing, I don't get the first part (I couldn't get an intuitive method to work) but if you swap what you're targeting to being the mouth, you'll shoot them after the timer's done... however it doesn't do any more damage that the usual bullet, just like any point blank shots, I think? Still it's pretty neat for an RP situation though if you have a strong gun/hurt victim.

I gone murderbone with it and it inly backfired 3-4 times auctally out of 45 shots
The future is horrible!
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #153878

How do you do these execution shots?
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #153879

Malkevin wrote:How do you do these execution shots?
Be next to your victim, Aim at the mouth, and click them with the gun.
After 12 seconds you'll automatically shoot them for 5x the damage of a normal bullet from the gun.
私は完璧
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #153893

Well, I know what I'm doing next time I'm HoS
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #153897

I think I found a bug with a certain rectangular container but I don't want to report it on github because of the implications it gives for silicon players. (it's not gamebreaking but it's still a bug, I think)

Not really game changing but lately I've been setting up solars and adding an extra 6-7 solar crates to whichever one I choose and it seems to make decent power. default solars seem to make about 90000 power and adding one full solar crate brings it up to like 108000. On meta I like doing this thing Franz talked about in deadchat once where you remove the rwall to containment by engineering solars then wire the solars directly into the containment.

probably everyone knows this but the teleporter gate function is actually really useful. I set up a teleporter on mining after making an RnD/ore proccess station there and then made a gate to the bar. towards the end of the shift I moved the bar 'porter to the escape shuttle brig and managed to link it to mining before it took off. you could leave back and forth calmly every time, and it doesn't seem to fail and turn you into a fly no matter how many times you run though it.

this is totally game breaking so I'll let you in on a secret - trashbags of holding can hold 60 air horns and you can step on air horns to make them go off. 60 air horns is enough to cover the three wide tiles from departures to the escape shuttle plus some towards robotics. the cool down is extremely short for running over them. if you're a drone or have running virus you can sound worse than a Brazilian football match
Erbbu
Byond Username: Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #153916

TheWiznard wrote:this is totally game breaking so I'll let you in on a secret - trashbags of holding can hold 60 air horns and you can step on air horns to make them go off. 60 air horns is enough to cover the three wide tiles from departures to the escape shuttle plus some towards robotics. the cool down is extremely short for running over them. if you're a drone or have running virus you can sound worse than a Brazilian football match
Holy fuck.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #153963

Cheimon wrote:Execution shots (mouth, countdown, timer) do much more damage than regular shots. They always crit, and a second shot kills. I am certain it works that way with the stechkin and laser gun, I haven't tried the detective's revolver with it but I'd be very surprised if it's different. It is, then, a good way to save ammunition.
revolvers will do multiplied damage but i don't think they'll crit. they'll max out the target's stamina damage, though.
fun fact: a slip from the clown's PDA puts a victim down for just enough time to fire an execution shot
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #153997

As I said before, execution damage is a 5x multiplier.
私は完璧
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #154016

If you have the space in your bag as an officer, you can carry 4 sheets of metal. It allows you to arrest 2 people at once, by buckling one to a chair while you deal with the other.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #154017

>This revives tactical chairs
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #154034

Helios wrote:If you have the space in your bag as an officer, you can carry 4 sheets of metal. It allows you to arrest 2 people at once, by buckling one to a chair while you deal with the other.
You might as well carry a full stack so you can do it more often.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #154035

Drag a roller chair with you
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #154099

Malkevin wrote:Drag a roller chair with you

If you only could attach fire extinguishers on the chair for extra speed
The future is horrible!
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #154100

You can use a fire extinguisher while buckled ot propel yourself at great speed in one direction.
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #154118

The disadvantage of this is that roller chairs can be stolen. If someone steals it and your buckled prisoner, they have a 100% shield against taser shots behind them and can make a swift escape. A static chair cannot be moved, and is therefore one click harder to rescue a friend from.
Helios

Post by Helios » #154122

Cheimon wrote:
The disadvantage of this is that roller chairs can be stolen. If someone steals it and your buckled prisoner, they have a 100% shield against taser shots behind them and can make a swift escape. A static chair cannot be moved, and is therefore one click harder to rescue a friend from.
Yeah, it requires a regular click followed by a Ctrl click, and when they Ctrl click their intention is shown before they drag the prisoner
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #154296

You can't sacrifce people with god hand. But you can steal their soul with a soulstone.

You can sacrifice cyborgs. Holy shit, you can sacrifice cyborgs.
Bring back papercult.

Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #154309

InsaneHyena wrote:You can't sacrifce people with god hand. But you can steal their soul with a soulstone.

You can sacrifice cyborgs. Holy shit, you can sacrifice cyborgs.

The god hand is a reskinned, runtime-var-edited null rod child of the null rod, all the chaplain's weapon choices are. As such, they confer all of the protections and bonuses the null rod does (because it is same child path).

You should try sacrificing :ian:!
Last edited by Gun Hog on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #154449

Gun Hog wrote:You should try sacrificing :ian:!
do not do this
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #154471

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Gun Hog wrote:You should try sacrificing :ian:!
do not do this
Do, do this.

And for newfriends.

:ian: + washing machine = :salt: :salt: :salt:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #154480

You also always summon Nar Nar, even when she's not an objective.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #154504

Malkevin wrote:You also always summon Nar Nar, even when she's not an objective.
She's always an objective for newcult, though.

(return oldcult 2016)
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #154700

I can't remember when this was last posted, but:

List menus are navigated quickly by pressing the first letter of the name of your target.

So: if watching cameras, and you need to skip to "gravity generator room", tap "g". If hypnotising someone, and you need to switch to "Joe Stunbaton", press "J". If teleporting somewhere, and you need to skip to "Wizard's den", press "W". Then press enter. It's that simple. These menus are faster than many other options if you're familiar with this usage of them, but I still see people saying the shadowling gaze interface is too slow to use, and so on. It can be virtually instant if you know the name (or can tap "u" for unknown) and press the buttons quickly.
Venticular
Byond Username: Venticuiliar

Post by Venticular » #155059

The fact that you can put an ID, a pen, and a PAI into a PDA and fit it all on your ID slot.

This is so well known but to me, when I first started, a little pubbie, this was game changing.
My characters are Frank Lowe and Mel Cousins. I also play as CORION OS, the AI and Brainstorm the borg.
"I don't fail at much, but caring is one of them" -some guy

I'm actually back now bitches!
Helios

Post by Helios » #155961

DON'T EAT ZOMBIES AS A MORPH
THE SECOND IT "WAKES UP" IT WILL SWIPE YOU FROM THE INSIDE AND KILL YOU, AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO STOP IT
newfren

Post by newfren » #155979

The same thing happens if you eat a changeling (rip).
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #156153

It seems that shadowlings can still ascend if their thralls were turned into zombies.
Bring back papercult.

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #156170

newfren wrote:The same thing happens if you eat a changeling (rip).
did i ever post the story of how i ate a changeling as morph and when i realized what was happening i crawled into atmos's N2O tank and let the changeling suffer with me
it was entertaining
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #156191

Fucking nice

I remember being a morph during a wizard round who summoned events

Killed and ate like 20 people, and then instantly died when all 20 of them animated into blob zombies in my stomach.
I laughed so fucking hard I almost died when someone gibbed my body and all of them swarmed the people crowding around for the loot pile.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
newfren

Post by newfren » #156363

PKPenguin321 wrote:
newfren wrote:The same thing happens if you eat a changeling (rip).
did i ever post the story of how i ate a changeling as morph and when i realized what was happening i crawled into atmos's N2O tank and let the changeling suffer with me
it was entertaining
I remember watching that happen and being incredibly salty because you had eaten my body as well.

In retrospect it was funny as fuck and I believe it was the only thing actually happening in that round.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #156390

The captain's parade jacket is a child of the captain's carapace, it has the same armor values as the carapace.
The more stylish tunic on the other hand is just cloth with zero armor.

The captain's gloves have a siemen's coefficient of zero, which is what makes yellow gloves shock proof. (that means the cap's gloves are shock proof for you slow people out there)
Black gloves also have a siemen's cooefficent of 0.5, which does reduce the amount of shock damage you get.

The HoS's black overcoat is significantly less armored than his trenchcoat or greatcoat.
Trench/Greatcoat
melee = 30
bullet = 30
laser = 30
energy = 10
bomb = 25
bio = 0
rad = 0

Overcoat:
melee = 25
bullet = 15
laser = 25
energy = 10
bomb = 25
bio = 0
rad = 0

His cloak, as well as being ugly as sin, provides the same protection as his trench/overcoat except for lasers, which is provides very little protection against
melee = 30
bullet = 30
laser = 10
energy = 10
bomb = 25
bio = 0
rad = 0
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #156659

AI auto-gets a law 0 saying it has to get the station nuked after about 50 minutes in a blob round, even if all the blobs are dead and the self-destruct is destroyed.
TheWulfe
Byond Username: TheWulfe

Post by TheWulfe » #156787

If you need to absolute maximize your armor effectiveness, just a few notes on some of the less obvious things:

As stated above the HoS overcoat is less armored than the Trench and Greatcoat, its under code in the suits/armor/vest path (the default security armor), while it states 'lightly armored' in the description it's good to know the specific values/reason. Do note that it does give protection to body parts as well as the chest.

Security department jumpsuits have a 10% melee protection, the only 'natural' jumpsuits with damage protection.

Chameleon Jumpsuits in addition to its abilities have an impressive 10% melee, 10% bullet, and 10% laser protection.

Gang outfits, whether jumpsuit or exosuit, have the protection values of (melee = 20, bullet = 30, laser = 10, energy = 10, bomb = 20, bio = 0, rad = 0).
It's universally better to a get a jumpsuit variant for your gang outfit for massive protection when stacking with other armor

The riot suit does not slowdown despite being in the description.

The only difference between a Syndicate Hardsuit's travel and combat mode is your cold/space travel protection, vacuum seals (syringes), and speed/maneuverability. It does not change armor values.

Along with the obvious head slot armors that are out there, a couple civilian obtainable helmets have decent armor:
Hardhats (engi and firefighter) = (melee = 15, bullet = 5, laser = 20,energy = 10, bomb = 20, bio = 10, rad = 20)
Laser tag helmets = (melee = 15, bullet = 10, laser = 20,energy = 10, bomb = 20, bio = 0, rad = 0)
Welding masks = (melee = 10)
Bomb hood = (melee = 20, bullet = 0, laser = 20,energy = 10, bomb = 100, bio = 0, rad = 0)
Various command hats will have armor values (HoP and Cap's hats)
Get that head covered when you're expecting battle, hunt out and hand em out when ops come a runnin' or you're about siege dat brig as a rev. The slight protection can be a big difference between those final bullets/lasers/hit putting you into crit and limping off to fight again.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #156796

Anonmare wrote:AI auto-gets a law 0 saying it has to get the station nuked after about 50 minutes in a blob round, even if all the blobs are dead and the self-destruct is destroyed.
I can see some hilarious ai shinanigans with that.

Drag all the dead people to get borged, order the new borgs to be miner borgs, order the miner borgs to dig all the uranium to build a new nuke or just build tons of green walls to irradiate the station.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #157079

How does armor stacking work anyway? What does the cloak protect?

Tip: Never focus a blob core, if there's a single node/factory/resource kill those first and ignore the core. So many bad blobs have won because crew kept wasting time on the strong blobs constantly regenerating around the core while it slowly expanded in a direction away from the fighting. Killing blob tiles that wont naturally regenerate is the best thing you can do if you aren't killing a node/factory/resource, killing those tiles means you're either denying an offensive tool or denying an expansion route, either way its going to cost the blob 5 energy to replace those tiles and that's more than worth the 2 seconds it took to destroy.

Think of it this way, if you focus a node when you COULD have killed the core, you're only delaying victory. If you focus the core when you could have killed a node, but fail to kill the core, you probably just lost the game. Game theory says kill the fucking nodes first, they're also completely necessary for the blob to pull of blubbernaut spam. One factory takes a long time to regenerate from a blubbernaut spawning, but once you get 3 factories you can start pumping out nauts faster than the crew can kill them.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #157191

Grazyn wrote:As a ghost, you can simply click on a xeno-spawned spider to gain control. You don't need to wait for someone to use a sentient potion. Also you won't be bound to serve anyone if you gain control this way
This has now been removed, tried it today and it failed to work, both on the fatass giant spiders, and on the ice spiders.
I will note however that going away for a short drink with a blood plasma spawned egg laying spider is a really good way to get the station swarmed to death by hundreds of murderous spiders.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #159107

Helios wrote:If you have the space in your bag as an officer, you can carry 4 sheets of metal. It allows you to arrest 2 people at once, by buckling one to a chair while you deal with the other.
Formerly static chairs can now be picked up by dragging them to yourself.

Chair, chair never changes.

Spoiler:
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #159279

The new head of staff airlock remotes can toggle the bolts to any airlock to which that head has default access, including the AI Satellite in the case of the RD, Captain and CE remotes. Disabling ID scan will prevent them controlling airlocks. I do not know how admins feel about AIs doing this at roundstart to their own sats, though. It has always been okay for an AI to bolt down its own Satellite, except that it cannot turn off the power to keep out Syndieborgs. Turning off ID scan on the airlocks to avoid being surprised by a crew member with a remote is a grey area.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #159280

Admin ruling is that disabling ID scan is the same as bolting.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #159525

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Anonmare wrote:no word on the chainsaw arms augmentation though.
unfortunately this can't be done since i included this line to limit the surgery to humanoids (so you can't have chainsaw monkeys running around)
but hypothetically i could unrestricted it and allow chainsaw monkeys/xenos if you guys really want
I hope to hire volunteered tracking implant chainsaw monkeys for my personal HOS security hit squad assassins to attack filthy gangers revs and other antags through the vents from my personal laboratory in execution where i build and implant them.

HAS SCIENCE GONE TOO FAR?
i dont know how chainsaws work since i havent played in a while but im fairly sure they just add a NODROP item to your hand

which means that a chainsaw monkey cant ventcrawl
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #159528

Miauw wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Anonmare wrote:no word on the chainsaw arms augmentation though.
unfortunately this can't be done since i included this line to limit the surgery to humanoids (so you can't have chainsaw monkeys running around)
but hypothetically i could unrestricted it and allow chainsaw monkeys/xenos if you guys really want
I hope to hire volunteered tracking implant chainsaw monkeys for my personal HOS security hit squad assassins to attack filthy gangers revs and other antags through the vents from my personal laboratory in execution where i build and implant them.

HAS SCIENCE GONE TOO FAR?
i dont know how chainsaws work since i havent played in a while but im fairly sure they just add a NODROP item to your hand

which means that a chainsaw monkey cant ventcrawl
correct. they're also ABSTRACT, but i don't know if that makes a difference.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #159529

Wait whaaaat that's stupid. Monkeys should be able to ventcrawl if they have chainsaws. That ruins my entire roboticist gimmick of attemping to sentience and augment an army of monkeys with cyborg limbs and chainsaws.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #159533

What the fuck does ABSTRACT even do?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #159541

It means they're not really a physical item in the world as such, which usually implies they are NODROP and will qdel if they get dropped or removed.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #159551

Chainsaws, for example, are ABSTRACT so that when you examine someone with a "chainsaw arm" you don't see the game tell you that they're HOLDING it, it's supposed to be their arm, why are they "holding" it? that's literally all ABSTRACT does, it's to make items that are only items for functionality's sake (anything arm is a good example, like changeling blades or chainsaw arms) not seem like items.
they're commonly coupled with NODROP because again, you shouldn't be dropping a "not-item" item.
私は完璧
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #159571

ABSTRACT was/is also checked in a handful of other places, most of which may or may not have been replaced by NODROP.

having an ABSTRACT check in ventcrawling probably makes sense
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #161358

Be plasmaman, wear atmos or CE hardsuit without your helmet. Stupidly robust.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #161370

Luke Cox wrote:Be plasmaman, wear atmos or CE hardsuit without your helmet. Stupidly robust.
also a bug
Spoiler:
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #161419

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:Be plasmaman, wear atmos or CE hardsuit without your helmet. Stupidly robust.
also a bug
An oversight at worst, and even that's pushing it. Everything functions as intended. Plasmamen catch fire when exposed to O2, and the atmos/CE hardsuit prevents fire damage.