Dark vision cone behind your back

A place to record your ideas for the game.
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Dark vision cone behind your back

Post by phil235 » #156509

Thoughts?
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Re: Dark vision cone behind your back

Post by TheNightingale » #156512

That actually looks pretty interesting. It helps maintain immersion, allows ambushes to succeed more easily, and isn't too restrictive for peripheral vision.
How does it interact with x-ray vision and optical meson scanners? How about natural darkness behind your back - is that amplified to make it darker?
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #156514

+1. Why the heck not.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #156515

I think it'd look a lot better if it just made the cone behind you slightly darker and stopped rendering mobs. Having big empty spaces that can change when moving around looks really ugly if you turn around a lot.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #156516

Literally worse than Bay/10
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #156519

MMMiracles wrote:I think it'd look a lot better if it just made the cone behind you slightly darker and stopped rendering mobs. Having big empty spaces that can change when moving around looks really ugly if you turn around a lot.
We discussed the cone/mob thing but apparently it is a performance issue. Shame.
phil235

Post by phil235 » #156520

TheNightingale wrote:That actually looks pretty interesting. It helps maintain immersion, allows ambushes to succeed more easily, and isn't too restrictive for peripheral vision.
How does it interact with x-ray vision and optical meson scanners? How about natural darkness behind your back - is that amplified to make it darker?
We can easily change the dark cone's icon or remove it (by making its icon_state null) whenever we want. We can have a smaller cone when we have xray or nightvision glasses for example, or no cone at all (for a hypothetical 'eyes behind your back' mutation). The only thing we can't do is make mobs appear above the cone's darkness (for thermals for example).
Natural darkness doesn't interfere with the cone at all.
We discussed the cone/mob thing but apparently it is a performance issue. Shame.
At least I didn't find a simple way to implement it.
phil235

Post by phil235 » #156543

CosmicScientist wrote:Would it be possible to see it as a more gradual change (like unconsciousness and lack of oxygen/low health) rather than be somewhat jarring dark and black squares?
Sure, we can make the darkness be progressive, we can even make the cone not match the tiles and make the border of our vision a straight line.
Just need a good spriter :)
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #156549

I feel like this is just going to result in idle people spinning around, which won't add any of the immersion that this change seems to be seeking.
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #156550

This would also potentially open up the possibility of an all-around vision genetic power.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #156552

Cheimon wrote:I feel like this is just going to result in idle people spinning around, which won't add any of the immersion that this change seems to be seeking.
Turning more than once a second gives you a chance to snap your neck from whiplash, scaling up for how much you do it per second
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #156555

This looks legitimately interesting and a perfect example of "Paranoia"
Cheimon wrote:I feel like this is just going to result in idle people spinning around, which won't add any of the immersion that this change seems to be seeking.
It's more like now shifty eyed people will actually look shifty-eyed. Whether they're looking out for any witnesses, or they're just incredibly paranoid about something (or are just massive dorks and are now broadcasting that fact).

It sounds perfectly immersive imo.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #156570

Immersive as a Dead or Alive fan station, sure.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #156575

Looks cool, but I'd prefer if it made it so that the area behind you was "dark" rather than black like it is now, much like Lifeweb, so you know/icly remember the basic outline of the area behind you.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #156579

Ikarrus wrote:This looks legitimately interesting and a perfect example of "Paranoia"
It's more like now shifty eyed people will actually look shifty-eyed. Whether they're looking out for any witnesses, or they're just incredibly paranoid about something (or are just massive dorks and are now broadcasting that fact).

Lifeweb already did this. Works fantastic. You can hide in darkness too, going invisible unless someone brings a light near you.

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #156590

No. Worse then baystation where immershuns is more important then here.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #156593

It means I can buckle someone to an Interrogation chair and be the bad cop standing behind them making threats, whilst the good cop is still visible.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #156599

would make horde combat very very very annoying
>blob round
>wave of people goes in to fight blob
>half their screen is dark and they can't see people behind them pushing past
>they all die from friendly fire before they even reach the blob

>shooting up assistants as nuke ops
>turn around to see how your team is doing
>they're all gone and have been eaten by the other half of the assistant horde which was behind you all along

would make combat in general annoying actually
>yakkety saxxing away from a sec officer
>literally can't see them or their shots and can't dodge

>captain in rev lasers 4 assistants who tried to kill him and is kicking ass
>suddenly gets tased out of nowhere
>killed by an invisible man who he had zero chance of fighting
>murderer was behind him the whole time

>traitor sneaking into a department for a stealth assasination
>gets the stun, gets the headset off, gets the kill
>before he can hide the corpse he's suddenly called out
>people were silently watching him from behind and he had 0 indication

>ninja
>teleports behind u
>draws katana

:-1: cool in theory on the surface, but bad if you look at it in any depth, and bad in practice
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Post by Nienhaus » #156602

phil235 wrote:
CosmicScientist wrote:Would it be possible to see it as a more gradual change (like unconsciousness and lack of oxygen/low health) rather than be somewhat jarring dark and black squares?
Sure, we can make the darkness be progressive, we can even make the cone not match the tiles and make the border of our vision a straight line.
I offered to do this.
Hey.
DanielRatherman
Byond Username: DanRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #156647

I could construe all of those examples as positive things as well.
>blob round
All the more reason to not blindly stumble into dark maintenance tunnels like lemmings and shoot each other to death: which I add happens a lot already.
>they're all gone and have been eaten by the other half of the assistant horde which was behind you all along
Should have watched your six, fluke-op.

Tase n lase combat is stale and overly reliable anyway. Not to mention the ability to ambush more heavily armed foes has been a part of the game for a long time via chameleons, darkness, disguises, etc.

>ninja
>teleports behind u
>draws katana

:-1: cool in theory on the surface, but bad if you look at it in any depth, and bad in practice
The most valid point: that someone attempting a stealthy kill can more easily be foisted- but I remind you that the vision cone works both ways- and for every murderer that gets caught, one more will get away with it because he waited until witnesses turned their backs.

I would support 100%, as long as the aforementioned changes to how faded the cone is are applied and it isn't too nausea inducing.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #156665

It'd be worth a shot, but I think I would prefer if it did still show the basic landscape of what's behind you, but its just darkened.
TheWulfe
Byond Username: TheWulfe

Post by TheWulfe » #156673

No no no NO. GOD NO. Forcing players on a swivel pivot of 4 cardinal directions just for sight has so many cons to just basic interaction with the game. Immersion? Do you guys not believe your characters can turn their heads and pivot hips or is the entire station full of people with broken necks?

And can you even imagine combat? Imagine what even basic dodging in a fight might do, some guy goes out your arbitrary line of sight and now you need to get him back in. You're probably not going to click for your look since you have gun in your hand to not want to waste ammo so you're going to move in a cardinal direction. From there you either spot him or move all the while if you also dodging him you're cutting off line of sight, meanwhile he has to do the exact same thing to any bit of your movements to spot his movement. Now you're both flailing around like Michael Keaton in his no-neck-turn Batman suit, playing more against a vision system than against each other.

The only reason it semi-works on Lifeweb is because it's godawfully slow-paced and based on an entire different playstyle and code (and even then it'd be more enjoyable without it).
Last edited by TheWulfe on Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #156674

Clearly just make everybody have to manually turn before they can move or shoot in that direction like they're in a gygax or something. :^)
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #156676

Now that I think about it actually, the only reason this works in Lifeweb is because everything is so lethal and slow paced. People more or less die in one hit if they're unarmored, so combat is over fast. This wouldn't really fit our low damage and high speed.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #156677

Saegrimr wrote:Clearly just make everybody have to manually turn before they can move or shoot in that direction like they're in a gygax or something. :^)
But battle mechs has scanners installed, so it'd make sense if they have full 360 degree vision.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #156678

DanielRatherman wrote:I could construe all of those examples as positive things as well.
>blob round
All the more reason to not blindly stumble into dark maintenance tunnels like lemmings and shoot each other to death: which I add happens a lot already.
then the blob wins every time because the only way to beat it is swarming/cheesing it with R&D
Should have watched your six, fluke-op.
watching your six when the direction you face is almost always dependent on which way you're moving is way more difficult than you'd expect, especially if there's no gravity

Tase n lase combat is stale and overly reliable anyway. Not to mention the ability to ambush more heavily armed foes has been a part of the game for a long time via chameleons, darkness, disguises, etc.
"tase n lase" combat has nothing to do with this, it's the fact that you can be totally invisible to somebody because they happened to be facing the wrong direction and kill them dead with 0 counterplay is cancer

not to mention stealth has been almost limited to those things and requires traitor items/setting up the arena beforehand (darkness)/putting actual effort into your stealth (disguises), while people not being able to see behind them means you can just walk on up to them with 0 preparation or effort and if you luck out and they're not looking at you, they die with no counterplay

>ninja
>teleports behind u
>draws katana

The most valid point: that someone attempting a stealthy kill can more easily be foisted- but I remind you that the vision cone works both ways- and for every murderer that gets caught, one more will get away with it because he waited until witnesses turned their backs.
generally untrue considering the "crew-actively-hunting-for-murderers to murderers ratio" is like 15 to 1 or something. traitors have to watch their backs more than the crew. it really shouldn't be that way.
Spoiler:
phil235

Post by phil235 » #156729

Nienhaus wrote:
phil235 wrote: Sure, we can make the darkness be progressive, we can even make the cone not match the tiles and make the border of our vision a straight line.
I offered to do this.
You can still create a new cone if you're up for it. As I said, this post is just a proof of concept, I didn't want you to work hard on a well-made cone that had only a very small chance to end up in the game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #156731

The only way we'll ever know if it works is to see it made well and tested.

I think the best way to improve it is to ensure the actual environment behind the player is still visible (chalk it up to a combo of situational awareness and familiarity to the environment) but simply greyed out.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #156735

EndgamerAzari wrote:This would also potentially open up the possibility of an all-around vision genetic power.
Implanting cameras into your skull, when?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #156738

Not sure how I feel about this, wasting that much screen space is.. well, wasteful.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #156745

I don't know. It seems interesting on paper, and I'd like to see how it would change the gameplay. But I also fear it would affect it too much. Also it looks shit.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #156757

would be ass and crap
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #156759

This is a shit idea and everyone would hate it.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #156822

This is one of those things that could be either amazing or total shit. Test it.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #156828

Atticat wrote:
Ikarrus wrote:This looks legitimately interesting and a perfect example of "Paranoia"

Lifeweb already did this. Works fantastic. You can hide in darkness too, going invisible unless someone brings a light near you.
Difference is the LW run speed is significantly less, if someone on there has max run speed they'll blink past you without you being able to notice them a lot of time.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #156830

Luke Cox wrote:This is one of those things that could be either amazing or total shit. Test it.
when i suggested this back when i was new and naive i was told that it was tested before and resulted in people being annoyed and getting headaches
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #156832

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:This is one of those things that could be either amazing or total shit. Test it.
when i suggested this back when i was new and naive i was told that it was tested before and resulted in people being annoyed and getting headaches
The way erro tried to do it was having your character always at the bottom of the screen, so the screen flipped wildly as you turned. We also moved faster then.

A cone of darkness behind you is nowhere near as disorienting as the screen orientation flipping around.
JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #156886

Why don't we have a strafe key with this? Pressing or holding the key locks your orientation when you move.
I lurk quite often...