Change where falling off Mining/Gulag shuttle teleports you

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Change where falling off Mining/Gulag shuttle teleports you

Post by Helios » #157940

I've been killed a lot of times by the gulag shuttle, because I am flying between mining and sec, and I get teleported to another z-level that has no radio frequency so nobody knows I'm dead.
Can we have it so that when you fall off the mining/gulag shuttle, you get teleported to the edge of mining/station z-level, instead of a random offstation z-level?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Change where falling off Mining/Gulag shuttle teleports

Post by PKPenguin321 » #157942

I ded to an environmental hazard, nerf pls
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Helios

Post by Helios » #157944

PKPenguin321 wrote:I ded to an environmental hazard, nerf pls
It was the change to atmos code that made me die to it.
If you walk into either shuttle you'll die, because you get knocked down and then dragged 2 tiles in less then a second. Try walking into gulag shuttle and sending it without strapping in and you'll see
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #157945

Helios wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:I ded to an environmental hazard, nerf pls
It was the change to atmos code that made me die to it.
If you walk into either shuttle you'll die, because you get knocked down and then dragged 2 tiles in less then a second. Try walking into gulag shuttle and sending it without strapping in and you'll see
yes i know how it works, be more careful next time is all i have to say
Spoiler:
Helios

Post by Helios » #157947

My proposed change still spaces me and kills me, it just doesn't make sense for when I get spaced flying from mining to the station I am by the edge of the abandoned AI sat, 0.5 seconds after the shuttle is flying.
Why is it if I get spaced 0.00001 seconds before the shuttle docks at mining, I end up in space by the white ship?
kazeespada
Byond Username: Kaze Espada

Post by kazeespada » #158067

Thats the old Tcomms sat you heathen!
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #158068

Have you tried shutting the door before sending off?
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #158298

I've never accidentally spaced myself with the gulag or mining shuttles. It's not an issue if you take the necessary precautions.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #158303

Was getting blown out the airlock part of your plan?
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #158309

FUCK SPACE WIND

That is all
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Helios

Post by Helios » #158319

CosmicScientist wrote:Wait, so. How do you wind outside the shuttle? You close the doors (or wait for them to automatically close), buckle into a seat and enjoy the ride... right? Have you ever played mining?
You walk into the shuttle, then someone else presses the button and you die instantly as you're knocked down and spaced
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #158324

I don't like these shuttles knocking you down, it sort of makes sense for the escape shuttle and pod accelerating rapidly to reach FTL, but makes using the utility shuttles incredibly annoying.
Especially the gulag shuttle with how terribly designed it is.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #158331

For those short few weeks where the mining shuttle didn't knock you on your ass it was glorious.

But he does have a point. The shuttles fly back and forth to the asteroid, so it doesn't make a lot of sense that you will randomly be dumped into space no where near either of the two even when the space cube puts the Station and Asteroid Z levels adjacent to each other. It's pretty damn annoying for miners since people don't like to wait for each other and never do a comm check when moving the shuttle. I've even seen it get passive aggressive where miners will wait for their 'partner' to launch only to recall it almost immediately to try and space them as revenge for getting (almost) spaced earlier.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #158550

only players who buckle in, get to stay on the shuttle
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Helios

Post by Helios » #158718

CosmicScientist wrote:
Helios wrote:
CosmicScientist wrote:Wait, so. How do you wind outside the shuttle? You close the doors (or wait for them to automatically close), buckle into a seat and enjoy the ride... right? Have you ever played mining?
You walk into the shuttle, then someone else presses the button and you die instantly as you're knocked down and spaced
Then you shout "FRAK YOU!" as you're being sucked out the airlock and ahelp in a salty way.

You can just ask them to not launch it immediately before you get on? Or maybe let them go alone? Every time I've used the mining shuttle everyone waits for me, I wait for them and the smart ones close the airlocks before leaving so nothing loses atmosphere or gets cold.
How often do you play security?
How often do you play security and not execute antagonists and gulag them instead?
If you actually use gulag you'll notice that the gulag shuttle is more likely to kill you then gulag prisoners
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #158767

The point is, that if you get sucked out of the shuttle odds are very good you did NOT press the button to move it, someone else did. Maliciously or through incompetence/negligence. If you are next to the door or on it when it launches, it will space you. There is no getting around this unless you happen to have some kind of anti-stun going on (like Meth or Stimpacks) which is unlikely if you're on the shuttle. And because of the RNGesus of moving shuttle physics, you'll be dropped at some point on neither Z level and if you're lucky wearing your suit or have a jetpack.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #158774

Gulag shuttle is pretty abysmal piece of design. The prisioners being able to call whenever can kill people yes but the worst experience I ever had was security involved a prisoner and an officer getting into a tug of war with me inside it. I couldn't move from my chair in several minutes of pure terror since I was only between transits for 1-2 seconds since the consoles have their own cool downs I think. My coms were being cut off repeatedly by the transits getting in the way of telling people to stop hell I had no idea another officer was partially behind it till I died. Several times I unbuckled to make a run for it and got knocked over. This went on for several minutes until I decided to go for it no matter what and got spaced just like this.

I haven't used gulag since really. Calling the shuttle for prisioners needs to be gated behind meeting a card points quota or something shuttles are an intense murder machine to entrust to prisoners as fully as sec or mining crew.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #158780

Actually getting spaced if you drop someone of in the gulag is an issue.

You drop of a prisoner, go home as you open the door to get out a prisoner sends the shuttle back to labor, you fall down and get spaced.

Had a couple of near misses with that.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #158887

The shuttle is now locked by card points I believe
Helios

Post by Helios » #158896

TechnoAlchemist wrote:The shuttle is now locked by card points I believe
Not to send it to gulag.
If an officer gulags you, you can wait about 5 seconds after it leaves, the shuttle will dock, he'll unbuckle and then get spaced when you recall the shuttle back to gulag.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #158926

I guess leave them buckle cuffed on gulag TBH
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #159355

Even that means the gulag has a functional capacity of one criminal tops unless you like playing shitter roulette.
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Post by Supermichael777 » #159428

This is why I just shoot them the moment I arrest pema worthy prisoners. Because perma sucks from personal experience and the gulag is a poorly designed deathtrap. Death at least gives them a shot at xeno-bio shit.
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #159466

How about adding a 5 second timer and warning sound playing whenever someone orders the shuttle to move?

edit: or even better delay the shuttle launch by a couple seconds and play the escape shuttle's launch sound during this delay.
Last edited by phil235 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #159518

h u g b o x
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #159743

PKPenguin321 wrote:h u g b o x
Well sorry for wanting a feature to stop being so abuse prone it is almost never used.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #159748

Incomptinence wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:h u g b o x
Well sorry for wanting a feature to stop being so abuse prone it is almost never used.
Oh no, my rape dungeon alternative to the permabrig where I can kill prisoners and the AI can't do shit has a counter that I can overcome by just leaving them with zipties on! Abuse!!
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #159763

They break out of restraints then you can't safely ride the shuttle again. Unless you want the local security bot set to arrest everyone there forever ensuring it is a dungeon.

As I mentioned this means the gulag has a safe capacity of one prisoner. It can either be used as an alternative for perma or normal brig cells, murder death shuttle ensures it is used for perma for one guy tops. You despise the AI anyway so why is escaping AI oversight to engage in executions not a plus?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #159799

This is also a problem when you're attempting to escape from a nuke and people call the mining shuttle before you can get off so you get sucked into space and die.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #159952

Incomptinence wrote:They break out of restraints then you can't safely ride the shuttle again. Unless you want the local security bot set to arrest everyone there forever ensuring it is a dungeon.

As I mentioned this means the gulag has a safe capacity of one prisoner. It can either be used as an alternative for perma or normal brig cells, murder death shuttle ensures it is used for perma for one guy tops. You despise the AI anyway so why is escaping AI oversight to engage in executions not a plus?
the shuttle ride back takes like 15 seconds tops, just buckle them into a chair or even sic pingsky on them or some shit and then shuttle back
the gulag only having a "safe capactity of one prisoner" is a separate issue from the fact that you can just stun them or whatever
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #160064

Or they just harvest some glass or metal and trap pingsky in a room. Never depend on a simple robot.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #160265

Incomptinence wrote:Or they just harvest some glass or metal and trap pingsky in a room. Never depend on a simple robot.
the point is that it gives you enough time to shuttle back without getting spaced
Spoiler:
Helios

Post by Helios » #160751

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Incomptinence wrote:They break out of restraints then you can't safely ride the shuttle again. Unless you want the local security bot set to arrest everyone there forever ensuring it is a dungeon.

the shuttle ride back takes like 15 seconds tops, just buckle them into a chair or even sic pingsky on them or some shit and then shuttle back
the gulag only having a "safe capactity of one prisoner" is a separate issue from the fact that you can just stun them or whatever
They can just camp the gulag shuttle console
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #160817

Helios wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:

They can just camp the gulag shuttle console
not if they're fucking buckled, it'll take at least a minute for them to break out and the shuttle back does NOT take a full minute
Spoiler:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #160847

Wear your safetybelt kids.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #160947

PKPenguin321 wrote: not if they're fucking buckled, it'll take at least a minute for them to break out and the shuttle back does NOT take a full minute
Only good for one person which makes the entire area pretty pointless.

If you are having multiple people subdued nonstop by a securitron while cuffed not only will you get called up on rule 1 it is also entirely pointless to have an area dedicated to it since they would be just as screwed in any random room with that level of fucking. The level of extreme force required to make gulag not be a death trap also entirely gets in the way of it being a work camp, as is the feature is broken and ignored accordingly in fact your argument is that it should be near unusable because you hate security having a dungeon or whatever. We want it fixed not left broken so you can be glad no one uses it.