Lavaland

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Lavaland

Post by onleavedontatme » #161006

It's being tested. Please leave feedback here.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Re: Lavaland

Post by kevinz000 » #161011

I VOTED FOR YOU
HOW COULD YOU
1. space wind is op
2. not much prebuilt tunnels.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #161013

The spacewind only existed because you broke open your shelter trying to use it as a bridge to cross lava. The shelters of course have air in them, and that air pushed.
KAP
Byond Username: Kaptin alexander

Post by KAP » #161028

has a couple of issues, but I enjoyed it overall as a new challenge from normal mining

issues I found:

1) It doesn't translate to meta station well, when the map switched to meta, it used the normal mining map, with a few changes:
- half of the main outpost with the space suits and O2 tanks is missing
- When you mine rock it leaves lavaland turf instead of normal asteroid turf
-There's lava in space just sitting there in the middle of nowhere

2) There's no Shuttle control console on the mining outpost, if the shuttle leaves and you don't have a teleporter or a jaunter, you're fucked.
- Considering that there are usually other miners, and they also like to leave without warning and never send it back, you should really have a way for people who haven't gone back yet to call the shuttle.

3) It's really easy to miss the warning for the ash storms
- black text doesn't stand out well, consider switching to red.

- On this note I thought it might be cool if there was an item that told you the ETA on when the next storm would be, another person brought up the idea that it would be cool if there was like a siren or something that would alert you, could be sabotaged to turn it off to make miners more likely to die from ash storms. Either one might be nice.

4) Goliath tentacles are damn hard to see on the current turf for lava land
- This could just be me though, I dunno about anybody else, but I was moving based on the red text saying there were tentacles and just moving diagonally or two spaces away.

5) Mechs do not protect you from ash storms
- Considering that mechs have full environment internals (you can set these to custom temperatures and pressures) it's silly that they don't also protect from another environmental hazard like this.

6) Mining is really sparse
- If we have to sit around for half the time waiting for storms to end, consider upping the minerals gotten from here. So we can at least get around the same haul for the same time spent there.
Also kinda feels less rich in minerals than the normal asteroid, but I could have just been in the wrong area.

7) The mining base has no power
- Well it has an SMES, but something is wrong with it, after about twenty minutes half the place had no power to equipment.

8) It's really big, almost excessively so.
- While the hall ways showing off the lava is cool, miners can see this through walls with their mesons, so the effect is kinda lost. And a ten tile long hall would be just as good if it were like four tiles long.

9) The area where the shuttle lands is without gravity.
- Although it looks like solid ground, do not be fooled! You'll just float off into lava if you try to walk on that area.

10) There's a very large lack of burn medication.
- Considering all the ways to take burn damage in this place, it would be cool if there were a way to treat it, even ointment would be cool.

11) You don't need a space suit.
- Yeah there might not be any air, but the pressure isn't going to even hurt you from what I could tell. When you consider that you need to move fast to get back to shelter when a storm is coming, the hard suit is actually a hindrance. You really don't need the brute protection for the current mobs. None of them can really hit you if you do it right, and the ones that do won't really hurt anyways.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #161032

1) I fixed the meta map. My bad.

2) Fixed this.

3) I have now made them bold.

4) Golaiths need a resprite in general, I will ask for lighter colours when they are redone

5) Not sure how I want mechas to function yet. I guess full immunity would work, but it'd be a bit dull

6) I upped the mineral chance a bit

7) I *think* I fixed this

8) I love bridges though

9) Was not aware of this, thank you. Fixed now

10) I could add a few more ointments or something, but there is an entire department dedicated to cranking out medicine

11) This is intentional. I think that binary lethality (you have a suit you're fine/you don't so you are instantly dead) is very boring. I also intend to have people without suits regularly moving around on lavaland (such as the prisoner crash survivors, or people launching escape pods). I will look at rebalancing minings suit so that it isn't a negative to wear it.

As to scarier mobs, we had those at one point, but they upset people.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #161038

Don't nerf the miner hardsuit pls
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #161048

I only saw Lavaland briefly but it just seemed dominated by the mineral walls. Aside from the occasional pools of lava it did not look that different from the asteroid.

Maybe that's the intention, but I was kinda hoping to see a more expansive environment, unless your going for the surface/underground approach of the original lava land concept.

Either way, keep up the good work.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #161053

Right now it's meant to be pretty similar yeah. If it's too different people will get upset that mining is gone. Gotta ease people into the change. I gotta ease myself into as well because working on background stuff for months without seeing anything tangible ingame is dull. Plus 255x255 is pretty damn small in open terrain, you could travel end to end in a couple minutes without the rock.

If/when I do this as lavastation it will be one gigantic Z level with more open spaces on it.

The biggest changes right now are the weather+ruin loading.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #161117

so does this mean mining is gone?
Boredone
Byond Username: Boredone

Post by Boredone » #161124

Eh, it means Miners mine at LAVALAND instead of the Asteroid. Thats pretty much it.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #161145

Hm, what is the upper limit to ZLevel size?
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #161153

Jazaen wrote:Hm, what is the upper limit to ZLevel size?
As far as I'm aware, z-level sizes default to 255 to fix the space transition and forcefully resize maps that aren't 255x255 to fix properly.

I could also be talking out of my ass but that's what I heard awhile ago.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #161155

The greed room is a bit much, offering dozens of diamonds and also some silver as long as you're aware of what not to interact with.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #161156

MMMiracles wrote:
Jazaen wrote:Hm, what is the upper limit to ZLevel size?
As far as I'm aware, z-level sizes default to 255 to fix the space transition and forcefully resize maps that aren't 255x255 to fix properly.

I could also be talking out of my ass but that's what I heard awhile ago.
our Zs are indeed 255x255, byond does indeed force maps to match world.maxx and world.maxy (which are set by the first map loaded)
As for upper limit, 1000x1000 is about where Dream Maker craps out, but I think they can go a bit beyond that.
私は完璧
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #161163

Make the ash jam the mechs Kor for storm duration since they can't see through ash either. Basically stun em.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #161279

There needs to be cameras on the outside of the mining outpost
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

coiax
Byond Username: Coiax

Post by coiax » #161280

Played as some Botany/seed Vault Creatures, here is some feedback:

1) All four of the sleepers were activated, and we all have the same name, making it confusing. Maybe if there's some way to tie name generation to the color of the podperson, that would be good.
2) There is no hatchet for chopping wood into planks
3) There is no sink, meaning the water tanks will run out eventually
4) Botany biogenerators can't make jumpsuits, and leather satchels can only be worn by people wearing jumpsuits. The naked podperson is a nice idea, except most people spawn with random underwear anyway.
5) I know it's unlikely we're supposed to leave unless we're discovered, but it is literally pitch black outside, I assume because the lighting in the pod vault is "special"?
6) Also, not sure if it's intentional, the gatfruit seed that was in there was dying before it got a single fruit. Never actually done enough super botany to get gatfruit, don't know if that's on purpose or they just have terrible stats.
7) There's no bin/disposals for getting rid of used nutrient beakers.
8) A smart fridge would be good maybe for putting all the seeds in? I don't know what to do with them otherwise
Aniukha
Byond Username: Aniukha

Post by Aniukha » #161287

Some Vault Creature feedback:

1): Some extra hydro trays would be nice, maybe 2 or 4 more.

2): A slightly bigger area. With 3 people it seemed a bit cramped.

3): Needed items: A wrench, a screwdriver, those botany shovels, some beakers and some limited supply of mutagen. Or even a mobile chem dispenser for mutagen.

4): A syringe for pod people, to be reborn if you die outside.

5): About what Coiax said above, the sink and hatchets are needed. The random plant names is a great idea. Starting with a jumpsuit would be nice for pockets/belts/plant-bag waist storage. Some form of bin or disposal, even if it goes nowhere.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #161290

coiax wrote: Stuff
1) Added new names
2) Added hatchets
3) Replaced tanks with sinks
4) Added a crate of jumpsuits
5) Yes. It's area lighting rather than light bulbs. Build torches if you need to leave.
6) I think gatfruits are just supposed to be a pain to grow
7) Will add a trashcan at some point, forgot this one.
8) Added the fridge
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #161298

The mining "station" is too clean. It doesn't feel lived in or compact enough. Less open space, narrower corridors, etc. None of the walls are reinforced, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense given that some of them are bordering lava. I'd even say add the outdated equipment from the old dock, just because it added some character.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #161305

The podperson place definitely needs some floral somatorays.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #161312

I like lavaland a lot.

Feedback though: bluespace capsules should either be a lot more expensive or impossible to use on station, there have been rounds where people bought ten and threw them around the station.

I miss the connected mining outposts too.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #161313

Wouldn't be much room to hide ruins if there were big precut tunnels and mining outposts in the far corners is the issue.

I recently updated the mining capsules to need a clear 3x3 area to activate, hopefully that should cut down on their use in station. If it's still a big problem I can make a zlevel check.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #161377

Is there a seed extractor in the botany pod? You can put seeds into that thing dog.

Gatfruits are one of the few plants that you need to care about the speed of the plant to grow.

Also unless there's mutagen in there it's fairly impossible to do good botany. A floral somatoray would be a decent option to replace it but you'd still need a lot of time to do anything interesting.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #161423

Aniukha wrote:Things
1) I added 4 more trays

2) I expanded the area two tiles wider

3) I added shovels and 4 of those flora guns

4) Don't go outside silly

5) Random names/jumpsuits/hatchets/sinks are all in. There is now a disposal bin as well
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #161542

It is pretty cool, but the plant guys need more info on what they do if they find people. apparently they are supposed to help them somehow? but it does not describe how. would be cool if they had an anomaly core or something for research. also I saw a wish granter surrounded by 2 thick indestructible walls. you can still get through with a hand tele or strange object or phazon or something, hell probably just a bluespace crystal. that's pretty ridiculous, not to mention the captains laser gun in a cabin. that's a traitor objective and a unique item, it should not be some random loot for miners.

also give the plant guys some basic tools, or at least remove floor tiles in one part of the vault, so they can place grass tiles there to dig up for sandstone for more places to put plants.
kazeespada
Byond Username: Kaze Espada

Post by kazeespada » #161925

Awful
Its like WAY deadlier then old mining but the reward is the same or sometimes WORSE then old mining.
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #161926

Needs more rewards. Needs a bit more themeing.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #161967

kazeespada wrote:Awful
Its like WAY deadlier then old mining but the reward is the same or sometimes WORSE then old mining.
Have to agree. Monsters are much stronger in lava land and the background makes it harder to see where the goliath's tentacles are.

I'm ok with making lavaland an away mission however.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #161968

You have to be careful with loot that can be obtained potentially every round. Away missions get away with it because they aren't consistent and are usually more deadly.

The mine needed a bigger challenge and I'm assuming whats been merged is only a base for more content to be added in.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
don't go for another.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #161992

I this removes the old mining asteroid I'm going to be sad. The asteroid was a great place to start a traitor/ling/cult round because of its isolation and relative safety.

Lavaland is fine, but I'm just sad that what little space is left in space station 13 is going away. First Tcomms sattelite, now Mining... RIP SPACE.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #161994

99% of the tiles are space
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #162035

Great shitpost Scott, but it completely misses the point of his post.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #162054

I like lavaland but I think it needs a bit more loot/artifact rooms because it starts to feel empty after awhile.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #162103

Oldman Robustin wrote:I this removes the old mining asteroid I'm going to be sad. The asteroid was a great place to start a traitor/ling/cult round because of its isolation and relative safety.

Lavaland is fine, but I'm just sad that what little space is left in space station 13 is going away. First Tcomms sattelite, now Mining... RIP SPACE.
This is a better place to do those things, since you can survive with just internals. Far easier to bring your friends to a base on lavaworld than make a fort on mining (or be obvious and cut the cams on an outpost).

We still have Z3 (old sat, white ship), Z4 (derelict, ruskie dj) Z6 (listening post/black market ship) and Z7 (space) but nobody ever goes to those places because space is boring and empty, unavigable, and survival is completely binary (you have a suit? you lived, that's it, space is conquered).
TechnoAlchemist wrote:I like lavaland but I think it needs a bit more loot/artifact rooms because it starts to feel empty after awhile.
I'll try and get artifact rooms working under a lavaworld theme, same for crates. I'll try upping the ruin count as well once the freeze is over and I can make more maps.
starmute wrote:Needs more rewards. Needs a bit more themeing.
Theming?

MMMiracles wrote: I'm assuming whats been merged is only a base for more content to be added in.
Yeah pretty much, it's a place we can add new shit without "I dunno put it in RD"
Archie700 wrote:
I'm ok with making lavaland an away mission however.
Away missions are kill. Goliath tentacles are being resprited to be more visible.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #162104

Kor wrote: Away missions are kill.
u wot.

i've been working on space nazi away mission on and off for almost 2 weeks don't you tell me this.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #162107

MMMiracles wrote:
Kor wrote: Away missions are kill.
u wot.

i've been working on space nazi away mission on and off for almost 2 weeks don't you tell me this.
I'll still gladly run that a few times but they've been disabled on server for weeks since people just gamed them over and over.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #162108

It was only a few that were the problem missions, Space Battle, Wild West, and Emitter Maze were the ones that should've gone.

Caves has a ton of guns but it's probably fine, Wiz Academy has like no super good loot, and Snowdin was probably fine as well.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

newfren

Post by newfren » #162111

It's not really possible for drones to mine anymore and ripleys feel like a hindrance rather than a help.

Is it possible for anyone who is not a miner to get bluespace bunkers? It'd be nice if there were like a couple scattered around the outpost for when roboticists or shit want to go get minerals.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #162115

Yeah my advice to people is really don't make any more away missions, they're never going to work.

Put stuff into new space levels instead.
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #162175

oranges wrote:Yeah my advice to people is really don't make any more away missions, they're never going to work.

Put stuff into new space levels instead.
More away missions like beach/cabin please.
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #162295

There are still some issues with the special rooms, sometimes they spawn half-submersed in lava, no big deal when it's a sin room, quite annoying when it's the seed vault/prison ship
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #162544

Tribe needs a wire coil to make spears. Uh, difficult to say stil what I don't like. The lava taking up portions of some of the rooms doesn't actually bother me and makes for interesting vistas and variations. Broken containment and all that, fits in to me. It is dark, and some of the vaults could maybe use some torches or spare flashlights.

Prisoner shuttle, internals crate has just a crowbar. The officers don't have their own emerge-airtank, either, so please at least get them some or put some in the crate instead of just a crowbar. A random medkit, maybe. Prisoner seems to be obviously a hard-mode and I am ok with that, but the internals... please? And killing yourself off and respawning as the next pod to get 2 starting tanks is just really shitty/meta. Maybe 3 emergency airtanks, one each for the three officer corpses at the shuttles site.
This might make the prisoners fight over the starting air, but I think that's something to be left to the ones who play it. Some might be an asshole, and kill for more air. Makes sense. Up to them though really and each stance, cooperation or sole survivor, has some merits and should be up to whoever is playing said roles at the time. BANDAGES. We have bleeding mechanics now, we need ways to apply pressure to our own wounds to slow/stop bleeding or make in-field Pieces of Fabric to stop bleeding. Its debilitating, eventually lethal, and happens easily from the mobs attacks. This issue might go for tribes too but they often respawn so might not complain, though if they suffer bleeds the problem is also pertinent for them.

I'll wrap up with that the Tribe needs its own personal crafting tree. To make spears... and yurts for protection. Among other things.
Edit: Remove the copy/pasted xeno hive. Its giant and sucks, if you want xenos, design some varied, small to medium, ruins. Heck, put two eggs in the ayy ruin. One opened, one not, while at it.
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Post by Supermichael777 » #162591

White ship landing zone needs better marking. a little airstrip area would be nice. Greifing/sabotage of the mineing airlock/beige is two easy with the shelters. extending a protected zone would be good. watchers ice Ray still sucks ass and I still hate it. as storms occur a bit too frequently and are incredible snore fests. Generic mining complaints to follow: no incentive to work together aside from having a second target. simple mobs melee hits everything in range and they atack until dead before switching targets which makes saving people impossible. no incentive to retrieve body's as you gain nothing and waste a ton of time. ash walkers have no idea which way to go and where to avoid, sunset some form of therapy vission. no reward for killing spawners. I suggest a Cole t ( fragments for something cool deal. watch s dropping diamond doesn't make sense anymore. whether starts too early and shuttle is disconnected from base. no way to check whether on station
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #162607

Is this the same change that made the ORM give out decimals of ore instead off full sheets per upgrade? We fully upgraded the ORM and we were only getting 1.5 (or something in that ball park) sheets instead of 4 per ore.

Ash Storms are way to common, shelters being the only protection from them is kinda dumb too. If they blocked sight, hampered movement and made mobs more aggressive that'd be fine, damaging people not wearing suits. But a full EVA hardsuit that doesn't protect from ash burns? This needs to change or ash storms need to be a lot more rare (1-2 a round, not one every 5 minutes.) Complain about binary protection all you want, Kor, you just took binary to a whole new level by saying get inside or die, no inbetweens.

Either that, or give miners a buyable item that grants them temporary protection from burns from ash/burn first aid kits in the vendors too.

Are borgs damaged by them? Cause pretty we lost a borg in a recent round, despite said borg running through 6,000 degree plasma fire earlier in the round with no problem.

Make lava bridges a bit more rare and give miners the ability to build catwalks over them (this could be done in old mining too by slapping down lattice between smaller asteroids to make a safety net to get to the good mineral dense asteroids.

I like the overall map and changes, but the ashstorms are way too deadly, way to common, and way to hard to tell if they are active since the overlay is the same color as the dirt. The notification is also way to damn easy to miss as the 'You fire the Kinetic Accelerator' or "You mine the Rock' spam drowns it (and most radio chatter) out. Some kind of warning or notification on the HUD would be nice, could even be a suit upgrade that starts out a traffic light (green safe, yellow storm approaching, red storm active) and upgrades cause the lights to flash when a change will happen in the next 30 seconds and/or add a timer of the ETA to the next storm (in yellow) and how long it will last (in red.)
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #162608

Last I saw, Ash storm only checks for the target having thermal protection from clothing, and if not, directly applies damage. That's pretty much why borgs and most hardsuits are getting fucked (atmos and CE are only ones that have heat protection.)
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #162626

MMMiracles wrote:Last I saw, Ash storm only checks for the target having thermal protection from clothing, and if not, directly applies damage. That's pretty much why borgs and most hardsuits are getting fucked (atmos and CE are only ones that have heat protection.)
I see this is why I have people wanting dark blue slimes.
newfren

Post by newfren » #162633

The free antag lizards getting onto the station is pretty dumb!
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #162666

free lizard tail kebabs are dumb???
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #162677

The outpost is missing a disposal, abandoned crates are gone, and the miners have no form of light if they run no hardsuit besides pda. give them a hard hat or something.