Detectives as antags

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Detectives as antags

Post by Luke Cox » #161356

Maybe I just missed the discussion on it, but this change was a total surprise to me. I haven't had a chance to play a round with a traitor detective yet, but I imagine this is going to be polarizing. How does it work in practice?
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Detectives as antags

Post by Incomptinence » #161360

Eh give it a shot. Perfectly trustable buddies are against the essence of the game anyway and they still can't be a swath of group antags, you know like sec used to be but now that actually matters because rounds are no longer 60-80% tator so they are less likely to be rogue still.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #161361

What about balance-wise? Is it broken? Is security less trustful of detectives now? Does the HoS just take the forensic scanner?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #161368

None of those things. None of the munchkin gotta-kill-em-all players have gone detective yet so it hasn't messed with people.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #161373

please note that the detective can ONLY be a traitor or double agent, NOT a revhead/cultist/gangboss/shadowling etc.

i think it will be fine
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #161374

PKPenguin321 wrote:please note that the detective can ONLY be a traitor or double agent, NOT a revhead/cultist/gangboss/shadowling etc.

i think it will be fine
That's a strange and counter-intuitive exception. Aside from revhead, any job capable of being an antag can be any antag.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #161375

Luke Cox wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:please note that the detective can ONLY be a traitor or double agent, NOT a revhead/cultist/gangboss/shadowling etc.

i think it will be fine
That's a strange and counter-intuitive exception. Aside from revhead, any job capable of being an antag can be any antag.
well boo hoo
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #161376

Having it so a loyalty implanted position can still be traitor is weird and breaks the rule of thumb that roundstart loyalty implanted crew are trustworthy, but I guess we'll see how it goes
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #161379

If he's going to be a antag role, which is bad, then remove his loyalty implant.

Or don't since it'll make it easier when this change is inevitably reverted.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #161384

Shaps wrote:Having it so a loyalty implanted position can still be traitor is weird and breaks the rule of thumb that roundstart loyalty implanted crew are trustworthy, but I guess we'll see how it goes
Any traitor can get implanted.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #161388

Scott wrote:
Shaps wrote:Having it so a loyalty implanted position can still be traitor is weird and breaks the rule of thumb that roundstart loyalty implanted crew are trustworthy, but I guess we'll see how it goes
Any traitor can get implanted.
Yeah but up until this all of the roles that can't roll antag have been the ones with implants, so it's a bit weird now
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #161390

Steelpoint wrote:If he's going to be a antag role, which is bad, then remove his loyalty implant.

I'm tentatively supporting this. The more authority figures that can be antags, the more paranoia there is. The loyalty implant thing is most likely an oversight and should be corrected asap
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #161391

It's not. Rev detective would be disgusting. Though he does have sunglasses...
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #161394

Space desperado, I approve.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #161403

Luke Cox wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:If he's going to be a antag role, which is bad, then remove his loyalty implant.

I'm tentatively supporting this. The more authority figures that can be antags, the more paranoia there is. The loyalty implant thing is most likely an oversight and should be corrected asap
The detective keeps the loyalty implant because he would be implanted every round anyways.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #161411

Scott wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:

The detective keeps the loyalty implant because he would be implanted every round anyways.
Good, force security to waste an implant if they want the ease of mind
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #161413

Luke Cox wrote:
Scott wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:

Oooor just let the detective keep something that doesn't fucking matter to the antag roles he can have, anyway.

Jesus fucking Christ.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #161420

It matters as far as gang/rev/cult goes, it matters a great deal. If detectives are eligible for traitor, there's no reason they shouldn't be eligible for those either.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #161432

On servers that allow a tag sec (goon for example) the HoS is the only one to be immune to being a antag, though he's significantly more heavily armed and armoured than anyone else on the station.

Furthermore sec are still disallowed from being round start conversion antags like Rev or Cult, for clear balance reasons that I don't need to explain.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #161452

Luke Cox wrote:It matters as far as gang/rev/cult goes, it matters a great deal. If detectives are eligible for traitor, there's no reason they shouldn't be eligible for those either.
That's stupid it used to work this way and it made total sense.

That's like saying officers should turn into malf AIs in the middle of the gear room it is gibberish we have better systems than that.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #161453

Anyone who wants sec to be eligible for gang, cult or rev may as well come out and admit they want to remove security from the game.

Those three game modes rely on there being a security presence on station to be the primary force to challenge the antagonist group. If that same antagonist group can SPAWN ROUNDSTART as members of security then you may as well call the round and save everyone half an hour of security converting the entire station to revs/a gang/cult, backed up with a air of legitimacy of being in a position of ""trusted"" authority and weapons that outmatch anyone else.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #161642

Security should never be roundstart antagonists for obvious reasons, but I'm 100% on board for detectives getting the lawyer treatment: affiliated with and working under security, but without the authority that security has.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #161646

"Authority" is literally just having good stun weapons, and the detective has the best stun weapons, so they must have the most "authority".
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #161666

ShadowDimentio wrote:"Authority" is literally just having good stun weapons, and the detective has the best stun weapons, so they must have the most "authority".
Traitors have infinite ammo stun weapons in the form of ebows, and I don't think they carry much authority with the staff. By "authority," I mean that they're allowed to arrest people who are breaking the law and imprison them without repercussions from centcom.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #161682

It ignores that config option entirely. I tried to point this out, and was dismissed.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #161709

That config has nothing to do with loyalty implants.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #161715

Zilenan91 wrote:None of those things. None of the munchkin gotta-kill-em-all players have gone detective yet so it hasn't messed with people.
i rolled traitor detective
and bought martial arts
and the hos trusted me so much when i was beating him with my police baton
oke oke this is enough!
>i keep bashing
>DETECTIVE ROGUE BRIG
The future is horrible!
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #161719

Its going to take a while for security players to get used to a antag detective being a possibility.
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #161739

Steelpoint wrote:Its going to take a while for security players to get used to a antag detective being a possibility.
why not make whole security able to roll antags again
i mean like you cant say its OP because hop can just rush in armoury and go to a murderboner without trouble

so security wont be like should be trust the detective... orrr?
and that feel gets spreaded trough whole sec team
The future is horrible!
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #161740

Steelpoint wrote:Its going to take a while for security players to get used to a antag detective being a possibility.
Or maybe most people treat roles who could be antags decently anyway?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #161741

What does that mean?

There's a critical difference between anyone outside of security who can be a antag versus someone who is a member of security and is a round start antagonist.
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #161743

Steelpoint wrote:What does that mean?

There's a critical difference between anyone outside of security who can be a antag versus someone who is a member of security and is a round start antagonist.
would make more sense of having a corrupt security officer
then a detective who handles all evidence and who is mostly trusted with evidence
The future is horrible!
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #161744

Just proximity to you as a regular security player. People in other departments get back stabbed all the time.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #161746

Ezel wrote:

then a detective who handles all evidence and who is mostly trusted with evidence
There's no evidence to indicate that the Detective is not subjugated to the same training and/or defence against being corrupted than any other Security Officer. Whereas there is evidence he is protected against such, hell this change bruteforces its way through by saying that even though the Detective is loyally implanted that he is still capable of being a Traitor or similar.

No matter which way this change goes, but if the Detective is going to keep his antag status then he needs to lose his loyalty implant.
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #161750

Steelpoint wrote:
Ezel wrote:

There's no evidence to indicate that the Detective is not subjugated to the same training and/or defence against being corrupted than any other Security Officer. Whereas there is evidence he is protected against such, hell this change bruteforces its way through by saying that even though the Detective is loyally implanted that he is still capable of being a Traitor or similar.

No matter which way this change goes, but if the Detective is going to keep his antag status then he needs to lose his loyalty implant.
in that case hop needs to lose his antag status
The future is horrible!
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #161755

HoP does not have a loyalty implant.

He's only immune to Cult rounds specially due to balance concerns. Everything else is a head of staff antag immunity for rev.
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #161756

Steelpoint wrote:HoP does not have a loyalty implant.

He's only immune to Cult rounds specially due to balance concerns. Everything else is a head of staff antag immunity for rev.
Hop is litteraly traitor captain in a nutshell
and we did remove traitor captain for balance issues didnt we
The future is horrible!
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #161759

He can't lose his loyalty implant, unless you want revhead detectives/gang detectives. It'd be miserable.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #161760

Then he shouldn't have antag status!

Either all of Security (barring HoS) can be a traitor or none of them can.

Otherwise this is a inane inconsistency for the sake of someone wanting to play out their fantasies of being a rogue detective.
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #161761

Steelpoint wrote:Then he shouldn't have antag status!

Either all of Security (barring HoS) can be a traitor or none of them can.

Otherwise this is a inane inconsistency for the sake of someone wanting to play out their fantasies of being a rogue detective.
You really think centcom will assign station heads with a loyality implant so they are trustworthy and handling their department
The future is horrible!
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #161762

Everyone should lose antag status because nanotrasen is a wonderful caring company that loves to maintain the workplace health and safety of their people and ensure the local area is free of eldritch or alien threats.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #161763

Luke Cox wrote:
Scott wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:

I've said before this is a stupid practice and still maintain that stance.
metacide
Byond Username: Metacide

Post by metacide » #161769

Removing antagsec was a great move that improved the game a lot, this is just a step back towards that and will probably be a bit shit.

Not sure what exactly the reason for merging it was, but I imagine it'll be reverted sooner or later.
MetaStation is currently running by vote or by default on both Sibyl and Basil
Feedback and suggestions are welcome in the MetaStation thread
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #161770

If only people did not love to toe the line and be shit, we could just give dets the antag objective 1: Be a loose cannon who doesn't play by the book
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #161774

What book?
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #161776

The only "book" left is server rules, so ???
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #161792

Calm down people it is just a detective trope. I just want a HoS to make me turn in my gun and badge for once
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #161798

Wyzack wrote:If only people did not love to toe the line and be shit, we could just give dets the antag objective 1: Be a loose cannon who doesn't play by the book
I suggested something like that in the PR thread, but since Space Law was removed, it doesn't really work as well now.

""You are a loose cannon. You'll do whatever it takes to uncover the truth - but be careful not to become that which you hunt. You still obey the law, and cold-blooded murder isn't in your nature, but like all good Detectives, you play fast and loose with the rules; in the pursuit of justice, let nothing get in your way."
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #161804

Kor wrote:He can't lose his loyalty implant, unless you want revhead detectives/gang detectives. It'd be miserable.
Not having an implant would not make the detective eligible for revhead or gang leader, only vulnerable to conversion. The only antag roles the detective can be is traitor (and double agent because it is a child of traitor).
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #161807

The detective is the origami killer
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?