Ministation feedback

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Ministation feedback

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #122855

Mini station is back in the rotation but it doesn't have a feedback thread. This is that thread.

- The Bridge needs reinforced walls. Anyone with an EVA suit can easily break in
- The brig 's reinforced walls are kinda slapdash. They need to be cleaned up
- All the old firelocks are gone. And there are only a handful of the full-tile airlocks now.
- The main hallways also need more firelocks
- Department lockdown shutters+buttons
EDIT:
- Shocked grilles under windows to secure areas
Last edited by Atlanta-Ned on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
DNS
Byond Username: DarkNightSin

Re: Ministation feedback

Post by DNS » #123240

Chef spawns in a kitchen that he has no access to whatsoever.
I draw things and use twitter.
Void Slayer
Byond Username: Void Slayer

Post by Void Slayer » #130398

Medbay and cargo seem too large, really genetics and chemistry should be combined into one job and two linked rooms.

A second garden area would be a good use of space.

Maybe also a not yet set up solar panel area, like a lattice and wires but no solar panels yet.
Thundercoot
Byond Username: Erwgd

Post by Thundercoot » #131752

Add some spades and plant analyzers to the garden.
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #139998

Needs a gateway.
kazeespada
Byond Username: Kaze Espada

Post by kazeespada » #140096

Cargo can order mules, but the mules won't spawn. No mules, no disposals means manually delivering everything.... WHICH SUCKS. Also yeah, Cargo is huge for only 3 people.
Topham
Byond Username: Topham

Post by Topham » #158593

Spoiler:
Tsaricide wrote:Needs a gateway.
Why, so you can get off this shithole? ~~
I'm desperately avoiding responsibility so instead, I'm gonna see if we can improve this station a bit and make it palatable enough to actually use for lowpop servers. I mean, it's not just a station, but its so smol, look at it, it just wants your love~

When I get away from this shitty wifi and home to my solid internet, I'll see if I can into mapping and maybe I'll give it a try myself, but here are some thoughts.
  • Security main room practically has more reinforced walls and protection than the bridge, armory, and the engine combined. Don't tell me that reinforcing security is a higher priority than reinforcing the bridge, which anyone with a wrench and a welding tool can break into in like fifteen seconds flat if they have maint access, thirty if they don't.
  • Atmos setup is honestly embarassing. Obviously we don't need a complex mixing system, but it wouldn't take much room or effort to throw in some basic gas mixing pipes, similar to what the testing lab on Box has. There has got to be some connectors leading into distro as well, and it wouldn't even be that hard to implement. It seems like the maint area by escape has a more complex atmos setup than Engineering itself.
  • Strangely enough, this tiny station has a ton of wasted space, from cargo's fuckhuge area to maint areas that are 4 tiles wide to security's...everything. This would be much harder to fix, but I believe it's doable. Make MiniStation Great Again.
  • Speaking of security, only two cells, no perma, and no Gulag. I feel like a map made for super lowpop would want to minimize death as much as possible, but it looks like high-profile criminals have no choice but to be executed.
  • This isn't as much a problem, but a question - should this station have disposals? I honestly can't decide. Trash cans give me a bad taste in my mouth, but I kinda get why we'd have them instead of disposals. And, hold up, when the janitor picks up trash, where does it go? I can't tell.
  • Something about medbay irks me, and I hate the work 'irk'. Maybe it's how it's a crescent shape around the arbitrary greeting desk. Maybe we can just kinda swap where the current entrance is with where the office is, and it'd be a little more pleasing.
  • These weird firelocks confuse me, somebody please explain them.
Kyrah Abattoir
Byond Username: KyrahAbattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #160681

I've been trying to fix/maintain some aspects of the map but i'm starting to believe that i might be going at it the wrong way.

It definitely needs a vault to store the blueprints in and the self destruct, and i cannot find a good spot to place it, a minimal "secure" vault would have to be attached to the main corridor, be at least 3x3 inside with Rwalls and a space gap around it, that's a total width of 7x7 and I cannot find a good place for it that will not require tearing a huge gap in the middle of the station to fit it in. On the flipside, it could give enough space to fit ministation with an experimentor and robotics lab (do cyborgs need an AI?).

Yeah atmos is really minimalistic and i suppose the idea was to just "ignore" it exists. I really enjoy the canister mechanic of the ministation TEG, but maybe the huge canister storage could instead be replaced by a compact mixing setup like on birdstation, and a small supply of empty canisters, i don't think the TEG should be directly piped into the supply tho.
Right now it's a bit interesting because after a little while engineering is full of empty canisters and you end up hauling them to cargo to essentially "exchange" them for fresh ones. But having a "slightly unsafe" mixing room could be nice too.
Additionally... i really, really, don't like the camera feed to the burn chamber, isn't there a way to use some glass instead to have a direct view into it? The lights always burn out after the first burn cycle anyway.

Cargo could be thremendously reduced once all the useless mining processing chain is removed from it, but unless that part changes, it should have enough space to store temporarly 5 to 10 canisters of engine fuel. I'm not sure where to put a permabrig either really... maybe facing the "would be" vault :)

Having crammed several dead bodies in trashcan, i kind of agree a disposal system would be nice, and it's not like there isn't room in maintenance for that. There is a recycler in maint, that's where the janitor should bring it all.

What do you mean with the firelocks?
Topham

Post by Topham » #160939

Gave it a try. Hope you can read my handwriting.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/a3Hrp8C.png?1[/img]
(Click for full-sized image)
Kyrah Abattoir wrote:What do you mean with the firelocks?
I mean, those firelocks...like, they're not on the same space as the airlocks? I'm confus

Also, I just realized that the burn chamber for the TEG is literally one welding tool away from flooding the whole station with superhot gases and I am totally okay with that.
Kyrah Abattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #161044

Jesus i forgot this picture was so outdated, i'll have to make a new one I guess. the firelocks are now "on" the doors, as they should be, those where the old ones we had i believe.

I'm thinking security could definitely use a revamp, maybe have those "electrified glass cells" with a view on the central hallway possibly? i always liked those and it could probably fit along the south wall. And yeah what you marked is indeed the armory.

This vault position could be ok if i can rearrange the maintenance tunnel, right in front of security is possibly a good thing?

Now i kinda want a maintenance door leading inside the combustion chamber >_>.
Kyrah Abattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #161898

Here is an idea I had today, slight modification of the burn chamber that solve a few issues:
>It's a bit too safe.
>The lamps in the chamber always blow up, making the camera feed useless.
The burn chamber would have a window, with a set of shutters (which should REALLY be closed during a burn cycle).
Pretty useful to peek in the chamber to see its current state.

The glass takes quite a long time to break from the plasma so you get a long warning before it happens. When it does happen, it is quite spectacular :D

You can still use the chamber after it blew as long as you close the shutters this time/repair the glass, provided that you let atmos/vacuum cool it a little before you try to send someone in.
Topham

Post by Topham » #161915

Kyrah Abattoir wrote:I'm thinking security could definitely use a revamp, maybe have those "electrified glass cells" with a view on the central hallway possibly? i always liked those and it could probably fit along the south wall. And yeah what you marked is indeed the armory.
Sounds great. Of course you'd need sec to be able to drop shutters over those glass cells, just like in Box. And having the vault right across from Sec, assuming anyone actually gives a flying fuck about the vault, makes sense.
Kyrah Abbatoir wrote:Now i kinda want a maintenance door leading inside the combustion chamber >_>.
Now you're getting a bit ballsy. I like it. It'd definitely need to be a two-door cycle though, like what toxins mixing room has or what Meta's xenobio has for some fuckin reason.
Kyrah Abattoir wrote:Here is an idea I had today, slight modification of the burn chamber that solve a few issues:
>It's a bit too safe.
>The lamps in the chamber always blow up, making the camera feed useless.
Spoiler:
The burn chamber would have a window, with a set of shutters (which should REALLY be closed during a burn cycle).
Pretty useful to peek in the chamber to see its current state.

The glass takes quite a long time to break from the plasma so you get a long warning before it happens. When it does happen, it is quite spectacular :D

You can still use the chamber after it blew as long as you close the shutters this time/repair the glass, provided that you let atmos/vacuum cool it a little before you try to send someone in.
As long as the glass doesn't break seconds after opening the shutters, I'm a huge fan of this. Maybe you'd want to toss a gas mixer in there for the combustion chamber? I'm sure there are some atmos freaks that would really love to have one to make some sort of magical burn mix.
Kyrah Abattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #161922

When I did my test at the start of a burn cycle, it took... a good 5-10 seconds before the glass started cracking. I'd say that's more than enough? It might depend on the burn mix used.

An airlock could fit east of the TEG if i slightly enlarge the area and nudge the transport tube up a little.

One of the T junctions of the fuel line could be replaced by a mixer without causing any problem.
Topham

Post by Topham » #161929

Wait a second, why not just replace those windows with the double glass doors like toxins has? They're fireproof and I have never seen anyone, even the stupidest of stupid, release toxins through those. I mean, they're a bit boring, yeah, but I think they make the most sense.

That gets me thinking, I really gotta learn how to map for myself.
Kyrah Abattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #162011

Wouldn't that be less FUN(tm) ?

I just like the infernal vista this is creating. A bit like the old goon engine used to be this raging hellfire with engineering right in the middle of it.

But an airlock to the inside of the engine, in my mind, would be something deep in maintenance, i'm not sure that this is doable on ministation without some overhaul.
Topham

Post by Topham » #162014

Well, anyone with a tool belt and insulated gloves would still be able to unleash firey hell upon the station anyway. I feel like a setup that requires shutters to always be down would is a little flawed. What about a single door that's bolted by default and has, say, level access?
Kyrah Abattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #162475

When it's running tho, it's a bit like the singulo's shutters, as i said, inspecting the burn chamber is useless after the first cycle because of all the lights blowing out.