Nutriment and Vitamin (food) rework

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Jike
Byond Username: Jike

Nutriment and Vitamin (food) rework

Post by Jike » #164127

As we all know, with the removal of hunger, the cook and pretty much all crops that don't have any fancy effects (the ones that are actually eaten) have become heavily irrelevant and inconsequential to the station and to the rest of the crew, so here are a few ideas on how nutriment and vitamins (the chemicals food is made of in the game) could change in order to make the cook more relevant towards their comrades.

Nutriment:

- Other than the passive "healing" it is supposed to provide over time, it should also increase over time a value that increases brute damage both dealt and received, this value (Could be "Muscle" for example) will increase as long as nutriment is in the body and metabolizing, and will decrease when there's no nutriment in the body. people with high muscle value will look beefy when examined
- If overdosed (you glutton) then instead of accumulating muscle it will accumulate "Fatness" in the body which reduces movement speed at lower values and causes respiratory and even heart problems (heart attacks) at the higher values, Fatness will increase as long as Nutriment is overdosed in the body, and will only decrease through physical exercise (running laps around the station, doing hard work, etc.), people with high fatness value will look chubby, or straight up fat when examined.

Vitamin

- It doesn't provide any healing anymore, instead it increases a value (could be "Healthiness") that when high decreases the chances of viruses entering the body through touch and air (not injections) by up to 90% (At max Healthiness value, and for each instance where the virus can enter the body), like nutriment, it decreases when there's no vitamin in the body.
- If a virus does enter the body, then it slows the growth of the virus up to 90% (At max healthiness value), and it will also provide a very small chance every tick to cure the virus from the system (depending on healthiness value and the virus' strength) also providing immunity, which can be used to create vaccines.
- If overdosed, it causes toxin damage, pretty much.

Other changes

- The health scanner could provide the values of Muscle, Fatness, and Healthiness in the person that is scanned.
- All Nutriment and Vitamin values in food could be reworked so that vegetables have higher vitamin values while meat, milk (and it's derivatives), and other plants can have high Nutriment value.

If you have other suggestions related to food feel free to provide them here.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: Nutriment and Vitamin (food) rework

Post by lumipharon » #164135

Hunger got re-added. Despite what hornymeme implied, its removal was a bug.
Also a bunch of plants got buffed in various ways too.
Jike

Post by Jike » #164138

I still would consider it, makes things more interesting and provides more RP options.
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #164281

Jike wrote: Vitamin

- It doesn't provide any healing anymore, instead it increases a value (could be "Healthiness") that when high decreases the chances of viruses entering the body through touch and air (not injections) by up to 90%
Err, vitamin already does this... It reduces the chance of contracting a virus. The variable that vitamin increase in mobs is called "satiety".
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
Jike

Post by Jike » #164316

Ah, yeah, I did notice a bit after while reading the wiki, I would still consider the other effect of providing a minuscule chance of curing from the virus, though.

I'd love for more people to analyze my idea and at least let me know if it will be considered by the devs or not, there's nothing wrong with adding more mechanic to the more RP oriented jobs, right? I mean, if that much effort is already being put into giving hydroponics more ways to produce food then something should be done about the imprtance of food in the station, at least that's what I think
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #164385

Jike wrote: Nutriment:

- Other than the passive "healing" it is supposed to provide over time, it should also increase over time a value that increases brute damage both dealt and received, this value (Could be "Muscle" for example) will increase as long as nutriment is in the body and metabolizing, and will decrease when there's no nutriment in the body. people with high muscle value will look beefy when examined
Doable, but it would be odd to start getting beefy as you eat, then suddenly you're fat but still beefy? I'd probably be easier to add this muscle thing to vitamin's satiety var.
Jike wrote: - If overdosed (you glutton) then instead of accumulating muscle it will accumulate "Fatness" in the body which reduces movement speed at lower values and causes respiratory and even heart problems (heart attacks) at the higher values, Fatness will increase as long as Nutriment is overdosed in the body, and will only decrease through physical exercise (running laps around the station, doing hard work, etc.), people with high fatness value will look chubby, or straight up fat when examined.
Fatness is already handled when your nutrition gets too high (and nutrition already decreases when running around). Their fatness is already visible on examine I think. I don't think people would be very fond of getting random heart attacks.
Jike wrote: Vitamin

- If a virus does enter the body, then it slows the growth of the virus up to 90% (At max healthiness value), and it will also provide a very small chance every tick to cure the virus from the system (depending on healthiness value and the virus' strength) also providing immunity, which can be used to create vaccines.
- If overdosed, it causes toxin damage, pretty much.
I don't think people would like to overdose and take toxin damage because they ate too much of a dish with vitamins. Especially when they don't know how much vitamin is in each dish. Slowing virus stages is doable, curing chance sounds a bit strong so maybe we can make it have a chance to decrease the virus stage instead (and cure it if it's stage 1).

Jike wrote: Other changes

- The health scanner could provide the values of Muscle, Fatness, and Healthiness in the person that is scanned.
- All Nutriment and Vitamin values in food could be reworked so that vegetables have higher vitamin values while meat, milk (and it's derivatives), and other plants can have high Nutriment value.

If you have other suggestions related to food feel free to provide them here.
Health analyzer showing nutrition is satiety value is doable.
I think you might need to add a third reagent ("protein") if you want meat and vegetables to give different effects, right now nutriment is the main reagent to increase the mob's nutrition. So if you decrease nutriment in vegetables they wouldn't feed you as much.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor