Simple Questions Thread

General SS13 Chat
Joe_The_Average
Byond Username: Joe_The_Average

Re: Simple Questions Thread

Post by Joe_The_Average » #161605

Bottom post of the previous page:

I just started using a new computer and all the UI windows are really small, I think it's probably related to my screen resolution, is there any option to change how big the windows are?
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #161905

How do the different items in the Chameleon Kit function?
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #161945

Is there a way to move sleepers?
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #161946

Reece wrote:Is there a way to move sleepers?
I think the wrench method works (screwdriver > wrench) but otherwise you can reconstruct them using the same parts from scratch if you just gut out the machine with a lever and rebuild it elsewhere (screwdriver > lever out parts > cut machine frame wires and wrench the frame into metal > reconstruct from scratch and screwdriver to complete using parts)

Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #162031

Luke Cox wrote:How do the different items in the Chameleon Kit function?
They all behave the same way. You put them on and select the disguise through the relevant HUD icons, they're all lightly armoured but be warned that just because you disguise your exosuit/helmet as a hardsuit: Doesn't mean it'll protect you from the vacuum of space.

The chameleon mask can be used in hand to enable/disable voice mimicry and the shoes (last I checked) have no_slip functionality.

The chameleon stamp must be used in hand to select a disguise to pick. As a side note: disguising it as, say, the Captain's stamp and putting it in a washing machine with a jumpsuit will disguise it as a Captain's jumpsuit
Sestren
Byond Username: Sestren413

Post by Sestren » #162289

Anonmare wrote:They all behave the same way. You put them on and select the disguise through the relevant HUD icons, they're all lightly armoured but be warned that just because you disguise your exosuit/helmet as a hardsuit: Doesn't mean it'll protect you from the vacuum of space.
A couple things to note:
If playing as a character with additional bodyparts (filthy lizard), the facemask does not properly recreate the snout bit when facing sideways, making your face look off. More importantly, chameleon versions of heavy outerwear like firesuits or hardsuits do not hide tails. A tail poking through a hardsuit is a dead giveaway that something is up.

Also, you cannot use an agent card to change the name associated with the chameleon PDA, only its job. Which means if you want to use face concealing masks and pose as someone else, you have to stick the card directly into the ID slot. I know regular PDAs don't let you change the owner's name, but I was hoping the stealth option would give you that flexibility.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #163022

I don't feel like reading through fuck loads of code. How do you make an arm cannon/taser implant?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #163089

Anonmare wrote:I don't feel like reading through fuck loads of code. How do you make an arm cannon/taser implant?
They are admin only
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Venticular
Byond Username: Venticuiliar

Post by Venticular » #164233

What happens when every single person has died in a round? (besides nuke, because that is the end game conditions)

I have never had a round where this has happened.
My characters are Frank Lowe and Mel Cousins. I also play as CORION OS, the AI and Brainstorm the borg.
"I don't fail at much, but caring is one of them" -some guy

I'm actually back now bitches!
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #164234

Nothing, anymore.

The round used to auto end.
Venticular
Byond Username: Venticuiliar

Post by Venticular » #164235

So you just have to wait for some kind of random event for the round to continue? (without any admins on to force round end/events)
My characters are Frank Lowe and Mel Cousins. I also play as CORION OS, the AI and Brainstorm the borg.
"I don't fail at much, but caring is one of them" -some guy

I'm actually back now bitches!
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #164236

If there are no admins on you can vote restart. And if everyone is dead you won't find much opposition.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #164237

Except for all the dead people that are AFK and other asshats that don't vote, because non-votes count as No votes.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #164242

There's always #adminbus. It's usually guaranteed "someone" will see any ahelps.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #164383

How would I go about making my own map? I have an idea for a more sabotagable station I want to test.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #164420

ahahahaha that's far from a simple question. I honestly wish it was.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #164422

BYOND mapmaker is cancer. Most BYOND things are, to be honest.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #164541

Anonmare wrote:How would I go about making my own map? I have an idea for a more sabotagable station I want to test.
may want to re-ask this in the coding or the mapping board
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #164567

I figured as much
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #164583

This is the simple questions thread for simple questions.

You're not a simple question.
Raphaella
Byond Username: Emilc4h

Post by Raphaella » #164834

How in god's good name do you make hooch? I tried mixing sugar, ethanol and welder fuel in various ways and it just keeps making napalm.
If only you knew how bad things really are.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #164836

How do you bring daman back from the dead
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #164839

Raphaella wrote:How in god's good name do you make hooch? I tried mixing sugar, ethanol and welder fuel in various ways and it just keeps making napalm.
Lol goofchems
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
dionysus24779
Byond Username: Dionysus24779

Post by dionysus24779 » #165552

Don't really know where else to ask since ban requests were closed down and admin complains seem like the wrong place as well.

So just to be clear... adminhelps are now handeled with absolute zero transparency? You can adminhelp if someone breaks the rule, you don't get a notification that it's even looked into unless you're asking multiple times and all you ever get is a "it's resolved" with absolutely no additional information?

So I have absolutely no idea if the rules were enforces, the player got a warning or a ban or if the admin just high-fived him behind my back?

You simply have to take an admins word for it? There's little to no accountability?

You can't even know if they did something at all or simply told you something to shut you up?

Because I have to say that I am not very happy with that. You see a player clearly and blatantly breaking the rules when that player should know better, you adminhelp it, get no response whatsover, you adminhelp it again and then you just have to put your faith into the admin doing something while the offending player in question seemingly carries on with their round like nothing ever happened.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #165553

Weren't you gonna leave or something?

I mean, you probably have a point, but...
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #165555

I mean that is usually the way i do it too, so as to not give away any in-round information. If the player wants followup they can ask me after the round in pm or ooc
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
dionysus24779
Byond Username: Dionysus24779

Post by dionysus24779 » #165562

DemonFiren wrote:Weren't you gonna leave or something?
No, I said I take a slightly longer break, which I did and currently I'm playing like 1-2 rounds a day (if any at all) because I'm busy learning for exams.

But thanks for your concern.
Wyzack wrote:I mean that is usually the way i do it too, so as to not give away any in-round information. If the player wants followup they can ask me after the round in pm or ooc
Yeah that may be the case, but in my experience admins can be really bad about communication.

I've read through the admin guidelines and here're two things that caught my attention.
Adminhelps should be answered in a timely manner. Let the ahelper know you're looking into his complaint to acknowledge that you're looking into it.
This too often does not happen in my experience, often you have to adminhelp two times to get an acknowledgement.
Let the ahelper know once you've resolved their complaint. You shouldn't tell them what the resolution was as long as the round is still ongoing as they could infer meta-information from it, but a simple "It's been resolved" can go a long way for them to know you're doing your job. If they insist on knowing what the resolution was, just tell them to adminhelp after the round ends, when it would be safe to tell them.
This almost never happens, at least I can't recall ever seeing it happen. The vast majority of the time (in my experience) the conversation simply cuts off and you have to keep on nagging to get an answer.

And personally I'm not very statisfied with "It's been resolved" since it's such a non-statement. Though some admins let you know a bit more which is appreciated. A simple "They have been warned" or "They have/will be banned" goes a much longer way to let a player know you're doing your job and it doesn't give out any information about the roundttype or whatever. Even a simple "valid" or "it was a honest mistake" is more statisfying.

But maybe that's just me.

Also I was never offered by an admin to know about it post-round, so I never even considered asking... which I just attempted but was just told the same.

To me it just feels like nothing has been done since I'm unable or not allowed to know about it and it kind of puts a dent into my trust in the admins. Next time someone is blatantly breaking the rules I might not even bother. (though that's a bit of a hyperbole, it is pretty disheartenting though)

Really not the best communication going on here.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #165565

Bans applied should appear in the post round summary.

I don't know why we came up with the concept that rule breakers deserve privacy. Fuck 'em, name and shame them and let them be an example to the other shitlers that might get the same bright ideas to think twice.
Reece

Post by Reece » #165576

So we know who to murder next time at round start? The amount of times I've been murdered by shitheels who then turn out to be non antags is absurd. It's a public service to name and shame them so we can pressure them into either fucking off, or simply not being shitheads, red text going 'don't do that shit' is less annoying than the station taking out of the day to kill you at round start because you act like a cunt.
[/saltyjokesuggestion]
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #165640

Yeah this isn't the SomethingAwful forums, we shouldn't glorify bans.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
kazeespada
Byond Username: Kaze Espada

Post by kazeespada » #165761

Raphaella wrote:How in god's good name do you make hooch? I tried mixing sugar, ethanol and welder fuel in various ways and it just keeps making napalm.
Add universal enzyme, and then mix it. Due to code reasons and black magic, it makes hooch before it makes napalm.
killerx09
Byond Username: Killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #165800

If you have two sleepy pens filled with the ingredients of nitroglycerine, and inject them into a person, will it gib him?
Reece

Post by Reece » #165803

AFAIK it should. The ingredients for chems do mix inside the body. You might be hurt as well.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #165823

Fun fact, if you can dose people up with black powder; setting them on fire will ignite the powder inside of them if you can raise their temperature to ignition point. Such as setting them on fire.
Or, you can eat a whole bunch and turn yourself into a walking suicide bomb. You can even potentially reach maxcap if you eat enough.
killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #165857

What happens if there's no maxcap? Like, you traded all your TCs to remove maxcap.
killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #165858

What happens if there's no maxcap? Like, you traded all your TCs to remove maxcap.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #165859

Then your explosive yield will not be arbitrarily limited by the bomb cap. In the past this was generally a bad idea for admins to do ever, as it caused massive amounts of lag and could potentially lead to a crash. However apparently lag is ded (although this is certainly not true on basil) and so maybe it is not so bad anymore
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #165867

That's what the guy meant, I think. What if you remove bombcap, how much boom do the, like, 5000 units of blackpowder make that you can put in your bloodstream?

Actually, let me check this real quick.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #165873

Wyzack wrote:Then your explosive yield will not be arbitrarily limited by the bomb cap. In the past this was generally a bad idea for admins to do ever, as it caused massive amounts of lag and could potentially lead to a crash. However apparently lag is ded (although this is certainly not true on basil) and so maybe it is not so bad anymore
I THINK bomblag is dead on bagil too, as explosions go in shockwaves, instead of long freeze and then result.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #165929

Pro tip, don't eat black powder pills, put them all as teeth implants and put in one CLF3 implant so you can instantly maxcap yourself anywhere.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #165943

"Which of these implants is which? Was this one the 29u omnizine?"
-BOOM-
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #165972

Before the tesla, they were used to measure the radioactivity of the singulo. You can also emag them which does something fun.
Spoiler:
Leave an emagged geiger counter next to something radioactive for a while will let it build a "charge" which you can use on someone to dose them up with the stored radiation. Used right, it's an instant KO/crit/kill.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #165977

Not a kill anymore, it got nerfed. Barely enough for a stun now.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #165984

This is why we cannot have nice things.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #166093

DemonFiren wrote:That's what the guy meant, I think. What if you remove bombcap, how much boom do the, like, 5000 units of blackpowder make that you can put in your bloodstream?

Actually, let me check this real quick.

1000 units of black powder were as much as I could cram into myself.
Doused myself in Cuban rum and lit myself up, hit (13, 27, 55) and a metric shitton of lag - quite possibly because of the >6000u of blackpowder I had stored nearby that went up in a (92, 185, 371) bang.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #166095

What did you store 6000 black powder in
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #166096

Varedited beaker.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #166402

What stopped you from cramming more powder in?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #166406

Body reagent cap.
I thought it was at 2000, but apparently not.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #166914

How do solars mechanically work? To be more exact, can sunlight reach solar panels though solid, though non opaque objects (Like windows and grills)? Do solars need to be in space? Is there a range limit to solars?
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Smeller
Byond Username: Smeller

Post by Smeller » #166943

TrustyGun wrote:How do solars mechanically work? To be more exact, can sunlight reach solar panels though solid, though non opaque objects (Like windows and grills)? Do solars need to be in space? Is there a range limit to solars?
I believe they're working if they've got space tiles and power produced depends on how many space tiles it got in it's line of sight, so they do work through windows, and they don't have to be in space. I've built solars just above the bridge once