Simple Questions Thread

General SS13 Chat
Smeller
Byond Username: Smeller

Re: Simple Questions Thread

Post by Smeller » #166943

Bottom post of the previous page:

TrustyGun wrote:How do solars mechanically work? To be more exact, can sunlight reach solar panels though solid, though non opaque objects (Like windows and grills)? Do solars need to be in space? Is there a range limit to solars?
I believe they're working if they've got space tiles and power produced depends on how many space tiles it got in it's line of sight, so they do work through windows, and they don't have to be in space. I've built solars just above the bridge once
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #166946

CosmicScientist wrote:Are doing things like this:
Screemonster wrote:Giving books the same names as traitor items and putting them in your bag as you pass a security officer (or anyone really) is hilarious.
... and custom emotes such as CosmicScientist extends a proboscis. Bad? I mean, if I wholly accept doing it can and will make me valid, is it OOC in IC, bwoinkable depending on the admin or alright to do? What if I'm a traitor double-bluffing to earn trust?

These are things I've wanted to do for a while as a laff.
I've doubled up, kept a foam armblade in my pocket, and then put it on as I've pressed the custom emote to emulate the changeling arm. Seeing people freak out and run away wordlessly is comedy gold.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #166960

Screemonster wrote:Giving books the same names as traitor items and putting them in your bag as you pass a security officer (or anyone really) is hilarious.
... and custom emotes such as CosmicScientist extends a proboscis. Bad? I mean, if I wholly accept doing it can and will make me valid, is it OOC in IC, bwoinkable depending on the admin or alright to do? What if I'm a traitor double-bluffing to earn trust?

tbh if it does count as an ocky-icky exploit it could probably be stopped by making those auto-emotes for putting stuff in a bag or whatever display the icon for the object in question (the way PDA-beeps and examine-text and so on do it)
it'd be like, a single line of code probably.

even so disguising as your DA target and letting someone see you put a "revolver" in your bag would be hella fun
as would stuffing fake traitor items in your sack and getting searched like a dozen times until they start just telling you to piss off, ignoring radio calls of "URIST MCTATOR HAS AN ESWORD" with replies of "it's a fucking book" and then you spawn your actual traitor shit and cap someone.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #167032

As detective, I just name my revolver "corgi meat".
Sometimes "gyrojet pistol".
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #167033

How do you upload laws to the AI? Do you have to set laws on a freeform board in a specific way then click on the upload console with it?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #167040

Zilenan91 wrote:How do you upload laws to the AI? Do you have to set laws on a freeform board in a specific way then click on the upload console with it?
1. When console is constructed, you must click on it to set which AI it will upload to. If there is more than 1 AI, clicking will toggle through them.
2. Freeform boards must be used in your hand to set a law on them. First it will ask to set what priority the law will be at, and you're allowed to use priorities 15 and greater. If there is no law below 15, it will just default to the next lowest number (IE if you add a freeform law to a default Asimov AI, then it will become law 4, despite being set to 15).
3. Once priority is set, you can enter whatever the fuck you want as the message on the board. If it's not a freeform board, you can generally skip both this step and step 2.
4. You can examine the board to check what laws are on it.
5. Click the upload console with the laws board and you'll get a message saying "Laws Updated." You're all done.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #167088

Only bad if you cry to admins when people validate you.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #167102

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Zilenan91 wrote:How do you upload laws to the AI? Do you have to set laws on a freeform board in a specific way then click on the upload console with it?
1. When console is constructed, you must click on it to set which AI it will upload to. If there is more than 1 AI, clicking will toggle through them.
2. Freeform boards must be used in your hand to set a law on them. First it will ask to set what priority the law will be at, and you're allowed to use priorities 15 and greater. If there is no law below 15, it will just default to the next lowest number (IE if you add a freeform law to a default Asimov AI, then it will become law 4, despite being set to 15).
3. Once priority is set, you can enter whatever the fuck you want as the message on the board. If it's not a freeform board, you can generally skip both this step and step 2.
4. You can examine the board to check what laws are on it.
5. Click the upload console with the laws board and you'll get a message saying "Laws Updated." You're all done.
Oh, and when you are at the upload, never upload purge without another law module keeping you safe and upload powered in other hand ready to be uploaded ASAP. This will save you a lot of trouble.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Reece

Post by Reece » #167368

How make Kudzu.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #167383

How do you even make buttons do anything.

Building one and closing the lid is fine, but actually connecting things to them is hard. I know i can do fancy things like voice activated buttons but they seem kinda meaningless if i don't know how to activate them.

Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #167396

You make kudzu by using sugar on a botany tray with a weed level of more than 5. It's RnG whether you get a meme plant or kudzu so you'll have to try more than once.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #167489

No one ever grows spiders
Reece

Post by Reece » #167492

Is that just kudzu but with pests not weeds?
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #167494

Malkevin wrote:No one ever grows spiders
I like to grow spiders. Sometimes on a long drawn out round when im not invested to grind gold's ill just steal a botany tray and use the R&D portable chem to make some.

Transference potions give more reason to make spiders since you can cause spider-geddeon whist still getting greentext (if you have murderbone and escape objectives which are relatively common)

Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #167602

You can make nurses with trays? Holy shit, you can do that in fucking arrivals with the soil
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #167603

Zilenan91 wrote:You can make nurses with trays? Holy shit, you can do that in fucking arrivals with the soil
Yes you can theoretically incur and flood spiders by releasing a shit-ton of spiderlings and then hiding via a chameleon projector (which does not aggro simples) while you crawl your way to a pod. (I tried this once but got caught and eaten)

Spoiler:
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #168019

We know that, if a human is in danger, a silicon can lie to protect them. But can an Asimov silicon lie of their own volition? Does asking a question count as ordering them to answer honestly?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #168030

only if they say "Silicon, answer the following question truthfully" beforehand.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #168040

you must explicitly order them to tell the truth (to the best of their knowledge)
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #168247

Do fat people yield more meat when gibbed?
Reece

Post by Reece » #168250

Grazyn wrote:Do fat people yield more meat when gibbed?
Meat is a valued resource, as someone who loves to play traitor chef I hope they do. Now I can fatten up my livestock.
Reece

Post by Reece » #168271

Also can player controlled spiders lay eggs and if so how? Is it a specific type of spider, or can it be any?
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #168276

only green-eyed spiders, also called nurse spiders, can lay eggs. There is a command for it in the spider tab. You need to eat (wrap) a human/animal/mob to lay one batch of eggs.
Reece

Post by Reece » #168297

When making spiders with xeno, do the green ones spawn from blood, plasma or both?
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #168317

I think both, the only thing that changes between blood and plasma is that the former are neutral and the latter are hostile
Reece

Post by Reece » #168324

I'm trying to run it in the single player mode and this keeps happening.
code\world.dm:8:error: CROSSLINKED: undefined var
code\world.dm:8:error: SELFLOOPING: undefined var
The fuck is that?
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #168332

Grazyn wrote:only green-eyed spiders, also called nurse spiders, can lay eggs. There is a command for it in the spider tab. You need to eat (wrap) a human/animal/mob to lay one batch of eggs.
You also need to extract juice from this wrapped stage "while the entity is alive" by clicking on the cocoon and sucking out the contents to get the nutriments you need to lay eggs.

Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #168395

No, it does it automatically on any dead body, simple animals included. It doesn't matter if they're alive or not.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

stiph
Byond Username: Stiphs

Post by stiph » #168499

Hello, relatively new to forums,
I have heard tell of clown astroids, listening posts, pirate radio stations, and black market ships.
Any of this ever true, or true anymore?
You FKIG WoT M8

• Forms for the Form GOD
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #168503

Yes
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #168597

Reece wrote:I'm trying to run it in the single player mode and this keeps happening.
code\world.dm:8:error: SELFLOOPING: undefined var
The fuck is that?
Sounds like an error with the z-level code. Crosslinked means you can cross between the z-levels (floating in space transitions you to other z-levels), unless a z-level is self-looping, in which case it's excluded from the 'space cube'. You can't reach Z2 - Central Command/Ops base/Wizard den - no matter how far you float in space.

Do you have all the relevant files ticked?
stiph wrote:Hello, relatively new to forums,
I have heard tell of clown astroids, listening posts, pirate radio stations, and black market ships.
Yes, yes, yes and yes. They're all deep in space somewhere; you'll come across them every now and then whilst traversing the endless bounds of the final frontier. The clown asteroid is a bananium shuttle crashed into an asteroid; it's got lots of bananium in there you can use for your own HONK mech. The listening post is a little less noticeable, but if you look hard enough, you'll find a couple of airlocks in a floating asteroid somewhere; inside is a Syndicate agent, and if you can crack the code, a pistol inside a safe. The pirate radio station can let you talk on all comms frequencies, and even has its own supply of solar power; the difficult part is getting back. And the black market ship is large, but out of the way; it was used long ago for selling xenomorph hide, and if you look around, you might find evidence of that.
stiph

Post by stiph » #168624

TheNightingale wrote:
Reece wrote:
stiph wrote:Hello, relatively new to forums,
Yes, yes, yes and yes. They're all deep in space somewhere; you'll come across them every now and then whilst traversing the endless bounds of the final frontier. The clown asteroid is a bananium shuttle crashed into an asteroid; it's got lots of bananium in there you can use for your own HONK mech. The listening post is a little less noticeable, but if you look hard enough, you'll find a couple of airlocks in a floating asteroid somewhere; inside is a Syndicate agent, and if you can crack the code, a pistol inside a safe. The pirate radio station can let you talk on all comms frequencies, and even has its own supply of solar power; the difficult part is getting back. And the black market ship is large, but out of the way; it was used long ago for selling xenomorph hide, and if you look around, you might find evidence of that.
thanks for answering, um are they in per-determined directions from the station or the derelict or other easier to reach spess objects?
You FKIG WoT M8

• Forms for the Form GOD
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #168643

Thanks to a real genass everything is randomized each round. So leaving from the station there isn't a reliable way to find you way around. But once you find one place in space you can get an idea about what else is on the z level you're on. Or you could download the repo from github and look at the maps in the byond editor. I wouldn't recommend it though because you only find them once in a sense, once you know where they are that's pretty much it and its probably more exciting/ memerable(autocorrects to meme table??) to find them on you own by accident
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #169438

How does potency affect Killer Tomatoes?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

CrunchyCHEEZIT
Byond Username: CrunchyCHEEZIT

Post by CrunchyCHEEZIT » #169506

Zilenan91 wrote:How does potency affect Killer Tomatoes?
I don't think it does, since the plant item "Killer Tomato" and the mob "killer tomato" are two seperate things. If it does effect it, I would imagine it increases its health, damage or makes it more aggressive or something.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #169640

TheWiznard wrote:Thanks to a real genass everything is randomized each round. So leaving from the station there isn't a reliable way to find you way around. But once you find one place in space you can get an idea about what else is on the z level you're on. Or you could download the repo from github and look at the maps in the byond editor. I wouldn't recommend it though because you only find them once in a sense, once you know where they are that's pretty much it and its probably more exciting/ memerable(autocorrects to meme table??) to find them on you own by accident
That's because it's spelled memorable nerd
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #169820

Theoretically speaking, if I set up telescience and teleport AI core deep into depowered derelict, will it eventually run out of power and die?
Bring back papercult.

Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #169836

InsaneHyena wrote:Theoretically speaking, if I set up telescience and teleport AI core deep into depowered derelict, will it eventually run out of power and die?
As far as I'm aware yes, but you're probably quicker just teleporting a bomb on top of it or its APC. (the boom will be noticed so it depends how stealthy you wanna be I guess)
TankNut
Byond Username: TankNut

Post by TankNut » #169859

InsaneHyena wrote:Theoretically speaking, if I set up telescience and teleport AI core deep into depowered derelict, will it eventually run out of power and die?
It'll die and shouldn't be capable of calling for help since the derelict lacks a proper telecomms setup. The only problem you'd run into is actually getting the AI to unbolt itself so you can move it.
Tawsix
Byond Username: Tawsix

Post by Tawsix » #169861

How do you make sounds as a pAI/borg like the beeping and such? Haven't been able to figure it out and google hasn't been able to help me eitherl
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #169866

They are like the normal human emotes but different words.

*beep, *buzz, *honk, *ping and so on. I think if you type *help as a borg it will give you the full list
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Thundercoot
Byond Username: Erwgd

Post by Thundercoot » #169896

Zilenan91 wrote:How does potency affect Killer Tomatoes?
The code for this is in tomato.dm.
Potency affects just the tomato's melee damage.
Reece

Post by Reece » #170002

How does foam and other such stuff work? Does the foam expand until is has filled a number of tiles, or just until it has hit a timer for expansion? If I set one off down a long thin corridor will it fill up more of the length?
Cavoglave
Byond Username: Cavoglave

Post by Cavoglave » #170749

Maybe not the simplest question, but fuck making a whole topic for this shit.
Spoiler:
That's my plasmeme room atmos setup, and I'm not sure if it's actually properly reventing plasma.
The pipes running south from the filter never have any plasma in them, although the scrubber loop seems to not have any plasma contained either.
What's going on? Is the plasma just getting deleted in the filter, or do I simply not understand how they work?
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #170761

Did you remember to turn the filter on?
Cavoglave
Byond Username: Cavoglave

Post by Cavoglave » #170779

Malkevin wrote:Did you remember to turn the filter on?
Yes, damnit.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #170783

Can you fill fire extinguishers with anything but fire extinguisher fluid?

I'd love to try filling a fire extinguisher with booze or welding fuel + phlog as a chemist so I can have a ghetto fire sprayer
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #170880

Reasonably certain you can fill it with holy water by blessing a watertank, but I haven't checked anything else.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #170967

Zilenan91 wrote:Can you fill fire extinguishers with anything but fire extinguisher fluid?

I'd love to try filling a fire extinguisher with booze or welding fuel + phlog as a chemist so I can have a ghetto fire sprayer
no, that's only a thing on other servers
here it wouldnt work very well since basically every extinguisher is now a chem sprayer
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
stiph

Post by stiph » #171668

TheWiznard wrote:Thanks to a real genass everything is randomized each round.
was this a popular decision, or not?
You FKIG WoT M8

• Forms for the Form GOD
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #171686

I want to blow up as much shit as I can via toxins in a reasonable timeframe, without having to perform autistic levels of tinkering. What do I do?