Dead By Daylight

Talk about video games here
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Dead By Daylight

Post by DrPillzRedux » #180300

Dead by Daylight is back again with more DLC, only it's free. The new DLC comes with The Huntress, a savage Russian lady who eats people and throws axes, all while humming during her hunt. You also get David King, some guy in a track suit who has some weird perks.

[youtube]jh3jNTZ9v5E[/youtube]
Last edited by DrPillzRedux on Mon May 18, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Re: Dead By Daylight - Chefs revenge

Post by Timbrewolf » #180456

I saw that they were making this when they added the masks to Payday2.

I'd like to avoid supporting it on the grounds that it's a blatant ripoff of Slasher, which was first announced in 2014.
Slasher spent a lot of time in pre-production hell as it went through some hoops so that it could pick up the Friday The 13th license and actually be the game it wanted to be.
So while this game will probably reach shelves first, it just seems like a pretty blatant copycat. Overall I think the aesthetic of Friday the 13th looks a lot better.
It's pretty simple; would you rather play as Jason Vorhees or the $5 knockoff not-Jason-but-we-wish-he-was guy?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #180472

DrPillzRedux wrote: If you own Payday 2 you can get it for $16 on Steam right now. The beta starts on the 31st of May, but you need the Digital Deluxe version to get in. You get extra beta keys to invite your friends to try it first.
This was a huge red flag for me until I investigated
For a moment I thought Overkill was involved with this, but apparently not, so I suppose maybe these devs aren't as shit as Overkill

Payday still has a decently sized playerbase so giving them a mask is a good way to get word out
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #180645

Yeah, not the same dev, but it is the same publisher.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #180659

This is the dev behind that Eternal Crusade game, they also do contract work for other companies like those Star Citizen guys.

The game itself looks fine, but I don't know if I want to buy into the beta. More than likely I'll end it getting this and the Friday the 13th game.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #181266

looks cool hope it doesn't go the way of "evolve"
XSI

Post by XSI » #181436

Evolve died because they were run by idiots
"Oh yeah, people will totally pay 80bux for a multiplayer only game. Also there's no people playing and we don't think we need to advertise."
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #181655

An0n3 wrote:I saw that they were making this when they added the masks to Payday2.

I'd like to avoid supporting it on the grounds that it's a blatant ripoff of Slasher, which was first announced in 2014.
Slasher spent a lot of time in pre-production hell as it went through some hoops so that it could pick up the Friday The 13th license and actually be the game it wanted to be.
So while this game will probably reach shelves first, it just seems like a pretty blatant copycat. Overall I think the aesthetic of Friday the 13th looks a lot better.
It's pretty simple; would you rather play as Jason Vorhees or the $5 knockoff not-Jason-but-we-wish-he-was guy?
The fuck are you talking about? Slasher was announced in 2014, yeah, but Dead by Daylight has been in development for at least as long, probably more. Its a classic example of convergent development, but if anything Slasher ripped of Dead by Daylight. Its why Dead by Daylight is releasing in 2 weeks while Friday the 13th is in god damn pre-alpha.

Besides the thematics the games go at it from two completely different angles. Friday the 13th looks like its going to be a running simulator where your main enemy is the stamina bar, and its going to be way more open world. Its gunna be like Day Z except asymetric PVP from everything we have seen.

Dead by daylight puts you in a really constrained arena where you are unable to ever outrun the badguy due to no stamina meter, but the speed is close enough that you have time to try to figure a way out of your situation, and the chases are more tight and your goal is not so much for the slasher to give up because you move so much faster than them when you have stamina (which doesn't even seem to be a mechanic) but because you are legitimately clever and ducked out of his field of vision for long enough to lose them. You spend most of the game quickly trying to accomplish clear tasks and avoid death in a way that is more compelling than holding down W.

So far Dead before Daylight has more polish, but its probably because it has been in development for much longer than Slasher/Friday the 13th. Also, the fact that the killers WONT be Jason appeals to me, because 'you can be any Jason' doesn't seem like it will provide any sort of variety, where as the killers in DBD seem to, from the two we have seen, encourage different play styles. Also, the focus on the mind game rather than the killer left clicking everyone to death appeals to me. The gameplay seems to indicate that if the killer overfocuses on ensuring 100% that any specific person dies they tend to lose, and the mechanics encourage you to be cruel and 'play with your food' as the devs say. Friday the 13th overfocuses on nostalgia and its gameplay isn't really impressive at all. It looks like those dime a dozen Source mods that are basically horror tag.

Granted, that is because the only gameplay footage up is literally a 3 minute pre-alpha segment of a player dying to their stamina bar, but if that is literally it, that means Slasher is nowhere near finished or its nowhere near good. Yeah, it may have had its development sorta stalled due to trying to get the license but that seems like misplaced priorities at best, and an active understanding that it needs that to sell at worst. The fact that the license was the priority is a red flag, not a reason to get hype and root for the 'little guy' that threw away a huge chunk of development cash (Which means both time to develop before going bankrupt on payroll and resources) at a license.

TLDR: They both have been about for about the same amount of time and DBD is actually delivering what appears to be a polished game with interesting and thought out design choices while F13 is in pre-alpha and spent most of its time trying to secure a license. One of these is a more promising option.

Also got single spare beta key if you want it.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #181889

I like the look of the talent tree and how as you unlock stuff and get stronger, you lose things in the process. That way everyone isn't a cookie cutter build.

a correct post by pillz
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #181915

id like the key :^)
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #181959

Beta keys are handed out on the 31st as a steam inventory item. I'll have one spare if anyone wants it then.

As for the beta, it will only be 1 map out of the 12, and the antagonist choices are limited to 1 or 2.

Tips:

Don't run around as a survivor all the time, as you leave red footprints for the bad guy to follow.

Items you have on you when you escape are stored in your main menu inventory. You can select them to use in another match. If you die, it's removed from your inventory.

As you progress through your talent tree, you will see a black area. These encroach on talents you know. If you learn new talents, these will be lost. Choose carefully.

As a hunter, don't rush to kill everyone. Play with your prey to get more points.

As a survivor, you don't have to work with others. In fact, you can use others as distractions. Survival of the fittest.

a correct post by pillz
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #181963

Running vs the wraith seems to definitely be a bad idea, at least according to the devs once you realize they are the hunter you are supposed to take it slow and creep around. I suspect its either because you can't see the wraith when moving fast, and because it seems to have a darker map than normal meaning its more dependant on sound. Vs the Trapper it seems like survivors consistently try to pulse their runs, keeping fast enough to not stay in one spot while also avoiding leaving a straight trail, meaning the trapper has to continually check everywhere.

Not working with other survivors is a double edged sword though. You need each other, but at the same time the hunter is aware that you will have strong urges to rescue each other, but if he guarantees you don't, he will lose. Think of it less of throwing others under the bus and being very realistic about what sacrifices you can and should make for others.

If you exploit the fact the hunter knows you will want to rescue other survivors to keep the survivors strong, and work with other survivors to hit a generator up or two you get a win/win off the other survivor going down. You get to take a gen if the hunter stays to baby sit the hook, virtually guaranteeing the rest of you escape, or he moves off to try to stop you, meaning a 3rd survivor will be able to save your bud. Don't be an impassive heartless dick, but don't be an idiot either, it is 100% in your best interest to get that other guy off the hook or off the ground if you can find an opening to do so, otherwise, the hunter just handed you the game as long as you can walk away.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #182029

cmon guys give your old pal craggy a key :^)
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #182137

Give crag a key then lure the monster to him.

a correct post by pillz
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #182182

i will gladly sacrifice my life luring the monster away to help my fellow survivors.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #182186

Beta trailer is up.

[youtube]YBEytyhtgwE[/youtube]

a correct post by pillz
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #182191

looks cool!
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #182223

Also the explanation of how progression and scoring works. Good idea to understand before jumping in.

[youtube]PM05xDLMnxQ[/youtube]

a correct post by pillz
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #182225

Goddamn, this looks way more ambitious than I first gave it credit for. I hope it all comes together well; it looks like tons of fun.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #182259

Specifically about progressing: You can rank up despite completely losing by simply tormenting the survivors or being amazingly helpful. In one of the streams every survivor got away but the dev gained 2 rank points because he managed to get every single one on the hook at least once.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #182375

EndgamerAzari wrote:Goddamn, this looks way more ambitious than I first gave it credit for. I hope it all comes together well; it looks like tons of fun.
ya
XSI

Post by XSI » #182389

This has potential

I won't BUY it for the beta, but I'm definitely paying attention to it

And my birthday is soon so I'll probably just get it anyway
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #182440

Beta is up, get downloading.

a correct post by pillz
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #182462

I do not have key unfortunato
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #182488

hold on crag

a correct post by pillz
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #182511

ok i will get a grip
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #182569

This game is so intense and so fucking frustrating.

I fix 5 generators, get hooked, and everyone abandons me to run.

a correct post by pillz
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #182573

rip, everyone else likely won off of your sacrifice though.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #182576

Being the killer is awesome. I was lucky enough to get two item add-ons that make my bear traps put someone in a dying state and darken the trap as well.

a correct post by pillz
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #182588

so far i seem to be better at being a killer than a survivor. its really fun finding a survivor just by listening carefully with headphones on for panicked breathing. headphones DEF recommended for this game. ive had players juke me and me end up totally losing them until they panicked and started running again, giving me a nice easy trail to track.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #182590

How good is the perk that lets you straight up kill people?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #182597

>run around as survivor with a toolbox
>fix gens lickety split
>run into other survivor
>we work on a gen
>heart faint heartbeat
>rush inside a locker nearby
>other guy decides to crouch in plain fucking sight
>he gets hit
>runs to my locker and opens it
>my character screams and slams it shut
>killer beats him down and hooks him as I run away

my fucking god

a correct post by pillz
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #182598

It's good to know people are playing up the killer role. Gonna have to pick this up when I get my paycheck.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #182604

Zilenan91 wrote:How good is the perk that lets you straight up kill people?
It's actually not a perk, it's a very rare lobby offering the killer can use once, then it's gone.

a correct post by pillz
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #182607

DrPillzRedux wrote:
Zilenan91 wrote:How good is the perk that lets you straight up kill people?
It's actually not a perk, it's a very rare lobby offering the killer can use once, then it's gone.
i have two of the ones that let me kill all 4 survivors solo its probably foolish to save them since progress will be wiped at the end of beta, but i find it more fun to put traps around hooked victims and wait for them to step into it when they get free and try to run off in panic.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #182619

I saved a guy at the very last second. You can see him grab the spider leg and stop it by smashing SPACE over and over. If he didn't he would have died.

[youtube]DoYZlwPMROQ[/youtube]

a correct post by pillz
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #182719

Killer advice:

Traps: Put down traps frequently, especially near where you start. Don't save them, and always pick up a trap when you see it as long as you aren't chasing. The faster you get traps down the more helpful they are. Try to trap off the objective, rather than directly on it. Shit is easy to see, but if you trap grass near the objective you can get a lot of cheeky traps. Also trap common escape routes such as the ruins.

Camping vs hunting: If you get a kill early, you massively increase the chances of victory, and get more breathing room to fuck with the other survivors for bonus points. Therefore, early on, especially if no one has a toolbox, its best to camp. As the game progresses trying to guarantee a sacrifice becomes less and less valuable. If you got an early kill its best not to force a second kill unless your mark has the toolbox. Just hook them in an easy to rescue spot and keep hunting. You get far more points dragging out the match and can condition the survivors to expect easy rescues later on.

If you find a cluster of 3 or more generators, trap them up and make sure to check on them every so often so that those will become the end game generators.

Its better to wound two survivors than to down one, unless one has a toolbox.

Always prioritize people with the toolbox, especially if two people have it.

Survivor advice:

Don't die early. If you get caught early you almost guarantee a loss for the survivors, and worse, you have no chance of personally surviving because a good killer won't let you out of their sight. Your first job is to not get snagged.

The toolbox is the most valuable upgrade. If you see another player with a toolbox, do what you can to save them. If you have one person in your lobby with a box, consider bringing your own in order to massively increase win rate. Don't bring upgraded tools unless other people clearly got their shit together with their own items and such. If you know the killer isn't near, sabotage hooks when possible, it significantly increases everyone's chance to live as wiggling is very powerful.

As the generators turn on getting hooked is less and less a disaster because the killer has less and less ability to camp out the hooks. Once there are only 1-3 generators left its almost always possible to force the killer into a situation where they can't camp the survivor. As such, if you have a toolkit, make it your mission in life to fix the generators, even if you gotta ignore your friends in pain. And always try to work together to finish a generator. If someone fails a skill check, keep aware of the risk of the killer, but don't immediately bolt. Keep aware of escape routes near generators.

The flashlight is the second most powerful upgrade, if there are already 2 people with a box, consider taking a flashlight to bodyguard them.

Don't crawl around, don't always sprint. Instead, pulse your runs to cover large amounts of ground when you don't hear a heartbeat, and stay low as you enter cover and approach objectives.

Once you get a few generators up, spooking the killer by failing a skill check is a great way to force his attention to a specific area. He can't afford to ignore you, so spark em and dash to give a friend an opening.

If someone dies early, start looking for the hatch, but don't totally give up on the generators, especially if someone has a toolkit.

The meatlocker is much more dangerous than it looks. Avoid getting snagged near it if at all possible. Try to clear generators near it early.

Generators sometimes spawn in corners with no real escape route. Either do them early or don't do them unless you know the killer can be distracted or isn't near. Don't try it without a toolbox. Bail if you make noise.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #182722

Somehow I wound up with this and three beta keys anyway.

Gonna have to stream this with some folks if you guys want to play together.

Also you can get into the beat by doing some stuff here.

http://beta.deadbydaylight.com/
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #182725

I am down. Coordinated survivors are hell. I think the only thing scarier than the killer are 3 survivors with toolboxes and one with a flashlight.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #182726

Thinking more that we just get five of us together and play for FUN rather than MLG pro everything has to be super fucking serious.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #182727

Only if the killer makes creepy noises and mutters "Im gunna getcha!" while chasing us.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #182737

CREEPIN UP ON THE PUSSAY: The Game
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #182745

I finally got the item to work that lets you kill instead of having to hook. It's fucking brutal. The one for the chainsaw guy is gonna be nasty.

The bad thing is the survivor has to be downed and CRAWLING AWAY, so if they stay still you can't do it

a correct post by pillz
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #182746

do you gu ys wanna play when im home from work?
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #182747

I won a match in less than a minute with the beat-to-death item

wow

a correct post by pillz
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #182752

Most common newbie mistake I see survivors make is not understanding the risks of rescue properly, especially when the killer is camping.

Its generally a two man job to rescue, one guy needs to swoop in and distract the killer while the other one pulls someone off the hook, and its really hard to pull off. Good survivors can manage to do this by crossing over each other's path so the killer gets confused, but its no guarantee. So if you don't think it will work out, don't sit watching the killer with the guy on the hook, because you are negating the primary drawback for the killer camping. Instead, just bail and try to do a generator, which has a really good chance of getting the killer to walk away. Even if you can't distract the killer enough to rescue the guy on the hook, your best bet is to never sit hiding near the hook once the camp is obvious. Dash past the killer's vision with an escape route in mind, then hope someone else can pull them off the hook.

If you are downed, don't for the love of fucking god sit next to an active trap, and don't endlessly crawl. Its vital you crawl to a safe space, but then start healing up right away once you are in a safe spot. If someone comes to pick you up to heal you it NEEDS to happen instantly most of the time.
XSI

Post by XSI » #182757

Well shit, I'd like this game but it looks like I can't get my desktop access for a while still

Keep posting videos and shit so I can watch those please
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #182769

>Private match is just called "Kill your friends"

Okay I have to admit that is winning me over. Also graphically it does look pretty nice for a beta.

I'm in to play this afternoon with people if folks are down. I'll record it or whatever so XSI can watch us be shitters and mutilate one another. GET THAT TEAMSPEAK CRAG COME ON FAM.

If people don't have the game yet but want to join us I have two more beta keys left.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #182771

Throw me a key Anon guy, I want to get my swiggity swooty on.
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #182774

I'll take a beta key an0n. This game seems to be bretty good
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered