Cherry bombs could use a small nerf

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Cherry bombs could use a small nerf

Post by Drynwyn » #185663

Being able to carry around fifty syndicate minibombs in your belt slot is just plain silly.

EDIT: For those who don't know cherry bombs are a botany plant that mutate from blue cherries. After you use them in hand, they explode after a few seconds. You can carry LITERALLY fifty of them in a plant bag in your belt- at 100 potency they go off with the same force as a minibomb.
Last edited by Drynwyn on Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: Cherry bombs could use a small nerf

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #185667

what are cherry bombs
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #185668

I think he means IEDs? IEDs don't need a nerf
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #185669

a botanist plant that's basically a minibomb
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #185678

We talking IED or actual gibs here?
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #185689

Incomptinence wrote:We talking IED or actual gibs here?
Gibs. At 100 potency they explode with more force than a minibomb.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #185691

[youtube]8YI1zFQF-T8[/youtube]

>botany power creep doesn't real you guys
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #185692

Yeah that might be a bit much!
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #185757

Hi - maker of cherry bombs here. I didn't think of the plant bag when I made this - sorry! I'll have a nerf up soon enough, but I think that the explosion power can stay. Chemistry can already produce better with much less effort.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #185772

I concur.

The mantra of botany has always been "extreme lethality if you put in the effort". Deathnettles are undisarmable and stronger than eswords, amatatoxin kills you dead if you dose someone and run, kudzu strikes terror into the hearts of anyone... Adding minibombs is hardly a concern.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #185776

Xhuis wrote:Hi - maker of cherry bombs here. I didn't think of the plant bag when I made this - sorry! I'll have a nerf up soon enough, but I think that the explosion power can stay. Chemistry can already produce better with much less effort.
You need bluespace beakers in order to get gibs from water + potassium, and I'm not sure if black powder grenades would even function
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #185783

make cherry bombs larger with potency as well
at potency where it actually gets more dangerous than at most like 40 damage it stops fitting in plant bags, at potency where it can breach it won't fit in pockets, and good luck shoving your fat ass cherries anywhere but lobbing a mega minibomb cherry on your belt
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #185801

Water pot nades are shit without bluespace beakers.
Nitro is shit full stop.
Blackpowder technically works, but it's really only good for a large scale bomb, not a nade, as it has this gay ass delay between the grenade VANISHING and the actual explosion 2 seconds later.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #185808

>carrot shivs are debated and detested because 12 throwforce would make them OP, despite not fitting in plant bags
>merged after much conflict and there were no balance problems
>literal bombs added to botany that you can fit 50 of into a bag
>no question about merging and has balance problems

YES I AM UPSET
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #185809

I'm 99% sure these were hidden behind something else so they'd be merged because I don't remember them in any PRs
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #185811

PKPenguin321 wrote:>carrot shivs are debated and detested because 12 throwforce would make them OP, despite not fitting in plant bags
>merged after much conflict and there were no balance problems
>literal bombs added to botany that you can fit 50 of into a bag
>no question about merging and has balance problems

YES I AM UPSET
I would have complained, but the pr titles started like 'hypoponic tray changes', rather than the more accurate 'adds growable minibombs'.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #185815

lumipharon wrote:I would have complained, but the pr titles started like 'hypoponic tray changes', rather than the more accurate 'adds growable minibombs'.
It also stated that there were new plants, and this rumor about the strength of a minibomb is false. It is less destructive than a minibomb at 100 potency - the only thing that it has more of is light damage (broken floor tiles). Please stop spreading misinformation.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #185820

i think what happened was that cherry bombs were added in post. the initial commit didn't contain them iirc.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #185823

They're great keep them as-is
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #185824

Xhuis wrote:
lumipharon wrote:I would have complained, but the pr titles started like 'hypoponic tray changes', rather than the more accurate 'adds growable minibombs'.
It also stated that there were new plants, and this rumor about the strength of a minibomb is false. It is less destructive than a minibomb at 100 potency - the only thing that it has more of is light damage (broken floor tiles). Please stop spreading misinformation.
I literally just finished a round where I made 100 potency cherry bombs, and they were blowing holes to space/people said some dudes got gibbed, so I unno man, it's not a big difference.

Edit: Also gaia is extremely easy to do and basically removes all effort from botany when done, which is a bit bleh.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #185832

gaia is fucking shit deus is the real weed
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #185834

Another horribly broken feature by Xhuis.

Do you even test this shit dude. I'm gonna start Pulling reverts on your shit if you don't fix it.

First it's Shadowling that you did shit for tests and resulted in being disabled because thralls got undodgable and unreduceable 15 second stuns and mutes, then refused to change it.

Then it's your shitty alcohol update that make 30u of alcohol deadly. Like people were being critted/vomit stunned for shot glasses of alcohol.
Oh and you refused to fix that. Told us to suck it and we should fix it.

And now this. Do you even think to test your shit?
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #185836

There's also the issue of the plant bag dropping plenty of cherry bombs on a tile, then you trigger one cherry bomb. You end with 50+ explosions happening simultaneously, this is a source of lag.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #185839

What a shit show.

Holy fuck how do you merge this shit? Do the maintainers actually LOOK at balance/item changes or do they love to shit all over someone adding TWO extra shots to a Laser Gun but are perfectly fine with growable fucking BOMBS that can be stacked to 50 units?

If I were to put up a change to give the HoS a Police Baton instead of a Stun Baton I would get 150 comments and all the maintainers shitting all over it, yet here we get a fucking PR that lets you GROW BOMBS go straight on through!

What a fucking joke.

---

Maybe next time I'll name my PR a "security refactor", add in a shit ton of minor sprite and map changes, but then bury in a small line that fucking makes Pulse Rifles standard issue for Officers.

If your going to bloody give Botanists damn Bombs to grow then maybe that shit should be in its own PR with a unique name.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #185854

Steelpoint wrote:Maybe next time I'll name my PR a "security refactor", add in a shit ton of minor sprite and map changes, but then bury in a small line that fucking makes Pulse Rifles standard issue for Officers.
Do it, but only if they're loyalty-pinned.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #185881

It's established that our maintainers have no consistency or standards whatsoever

Also if you mention security anywhere in your PR the difficulty in merging is multiplied tenfold.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #185897

He has a point though. Sec cannot get jack shit but botany (who already has a ton of powerful things such as deathnettles, slips, ect) gets renewable supplies of minibombs after playing mutagen lottery for a few minutes
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #185909

All right, I tried to be polite, but it seems it didn't work, so now I have to result to mature big text.
  • They are not minibombs. I specifically adjusted the values to make sure that they didn't have the radius of minibombs. Only potency 100 even come close to minibombs, because only potency 100 cherries can cause hull breaches if I read explosion code correctly.
  • There is a fix up on GitHub that makes them larger with potency. Anything above 50 potency is normal-sized and anything above 75 potency is bulky-sized.
  • Just because you like something doesn't mean you need to personally attack me. This happened with alcohol and it's happening again. Don't say "fix your shit" when you are fully able to do it on your own. I fixed alcohol with a single-digit change. It took me less than a minute, whereas people were complaining about it for weeks. Grow up. You are adults and should be more mature than that.
If you're going to bitch about ambrosia gaia, too, then I'm working on tweaks for that as well. Cheridan himself suggested that I add cherry bombs. They were originally just harmless cherries that started with a different reagent inside of them. Yell at him, not me.

Have a nice day!
Last edited by Xhuis on Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #185910

Xhuis are you a Goof sockpuppet
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #185911

ShadowDimentio wrote:Xhuis are you a Goof sockpuppet
I prefer to think of myself as an unaffiliated sock puppet, thank you.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #185922

People tend to pay attention to PRs with security in the name. Not as much scrutiny for mini-bombs tacked on to the end of a hydro tray PR less than 12 hours before it got merged.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #185924

Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #185938

>That fix PR
>Bulky things that might breach the hull

May as well make the tray spit out a hundred welder tanks every harvest
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #185942

>Bulky

Make them cap at normal sized.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #185943

Can you people not make a cohesive decision? First you say that they should get bigger with size, so I make them get bigger with size, and make effective ones bulky because plant bags can hold normal-sized items and you also complained about plant bags. Now you're complaining that they should be able to fit in plant bags. Take the damn nerf and be happy with it.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #185982

I said they were great as-is though

This also has absolutely no bearing on me getting back into botany recently
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #185987

A nerf would be nice.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Pilgrim
Byond Username: Suspilgrim

Post by Pilgrim » #186004

Daisy Holmes used a cherry bomb on the brig today. It put it in a pretty decent dent, destroying a door and spacing one or two tiles with lattices exposed. Rest of the damage was just busted tiles and windows.

Because it's Daisy I'm assuming those were maxcaps, and the whole explosion was about the size of a welder tank explosion. Maybe smaller.

These should be fine if they're hard to mass produce.
First: do no harm.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #186006

When will people learn that balance problems arent bugs
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #186041

On another note, it's very easy to get cherry bomb plants to produce fruit EXTREMELY fast.
IE: It's hilariously effective to simply drag a gaia'd tray behind you with a mature bomb tree, and just chuck bombs every where. As an added bonuses, I believe hydro trays still block bullets, but I could be wrong.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #186052

Xhuis wrote:All right, I tried to be polite, but it seems it didn't work, so now I have to result to mature big text.
  • They are not minibombs. I specifically adjusted the values to make sure that they didn't have the radius of minibombs. Only potency 100 even come close to minibombs, because only potency 100 cherries can cause hull breaches if I read explosion code correctly.
You read explosion code incorrectly- I caused 1-tile hull breaches consistently with Potency 50 cherry bombs.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #186060

All right, since there seems to be no end to the problems caused by this plant, I'm going to be removing it temporarily from the mutation list while I decide how best to re-implement it.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #186061

Explosives that make more fire and less boom aren't as much of a balance issue. But I think someone buffed the shit out of IED's to make them that.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #186062

Or you can just not give growable explosives to botany?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #186066

is xhuis the new badcoder?
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #186069

Super Aggro Crag wrote:is xhuis the new badcoder?
Well, I'm deliberately reverting a feature that I admit I made a mistaken in adding, so I would certainly hope not!
Steelpoint wrote:Or you can just not give growable explosives to botany?
Or you could stop bitching about it since I'm doing exactly what you're asking me to?
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #186071

do the needful

replace it with cherries that just have black powder

so you ignite the cherry bombs with a heating device
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #186080

Blackpowder is terrible for small explosivess though. There's a huge ass delay after the reaction occurs - enough time to clear the screen and lube up your harmbaton.
yackemflam
Byond Username: Yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #186081

This is IED all over again
NSFW:
I will admit I was laughing pretty hard during your skit in the boxing ring. - seagrimr
Spoiler:
Playing on the server isn't something you're entitled to. There's an extremely small level of responsibiliy on your part to play hhundreds of hours of a free game run by fuckheads. - Stickymayhem
A retards guide on how to make a maxcap bomb in toxins.
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 Plasma tanks 1-6 Oxygen tanks
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
1 Yellow (empty) canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access
Science testing lab access

Grab a oxygen tank and a plasma tank and bring them to the testing lab.
Super cool the Oxygen and superheat the Plasma.

Clean out the oxygen and plasma tanks with a filter/pump.

Then you wrench and unwrench the plasma and oxygen tanks in toxins. It`s important tha you do it one at a time. Try to get a 85%plasma and 15% oxygen mix.

Once you have a good burn mix, pump the mix into the burn chamber and light it on fire. Wait 10 seconds for it to heat up and pump it into a yellow (empty) canister.

Quickly set the kpa output to 163 kpa and fill the tanks with the burn mix.

Take the oxygen tanks and fill it up with a 613kpa worth of oxygen FIRST then fill the rest with plasma, you should get well over 2000kpa in the end.

With the new atmos system you should wait 5-10 minutes for you tanks to bake.

Take a tank transfer valve, add a oxygen tank and a plasma tank to it. You should have a maxcap bomb. Have fun blowing up the station mining!
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #186103

lumipharon wrote:Blackpowder is terrible for small explosivess though. There's a huge ass delay after the reaction occurs - enough time to clear the screen and lube up your harmbaton.
this is why you light the reaction THEN throw the cherries