Pixel projectiles

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Pixel projectiles

Post by Bawhoppennn » #177245

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/17735

Whine about how your old powergamey firing techniques going to be removed here

[18:01:51] <Bawhoppen> should I make a feedback thread for pixel projectiles to make it more OFFICIAL
[18:02:50] <+KorPhaeron> I mean if you want to argue with people who don't play
[18:02:51] <+KorPhaeron> sure
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: Pixel projectiles

Post by lumipharon » #177249

If this is the same as last time, it's still terrible as hell yo.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #177261

too buggy too hard to maintain too janky
looks really really nice though but it really needs more work put in before it's haphazardly implemented like this

i rate it a "i really want it but i know that if i have it it will just make things worse/10", a rating that is shockingly similar to ratings of food items like pizza
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #177267

this is a subtle nerf to kinetic accelerators.
also rate it a "i really want it but i know that if i have it it will just make things worse/10"
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #177688

Emitters need 4 way sprites again, their projectiles are overridden

I forgot to not remove emitter directions
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #181767

Okay, this is merged now so legitimate feedback is welcome
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #181828

it sux
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #181886

i sure hope the bugs and such are fixed

i'm optimistic about this
Spoiler:
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #183444

Oh no... this isn't faux pixel projectiles again? Where they still travel along tiles?
Well I mean they do but the paths on which tile they move to and hit are calculated by where the pixel would be so for all intents and purposes they move via pixels

Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #183516

yeah even if we enabled full pixel movement, the system is still set up to be tile-based, its just that your sprites' position is modified to move across the tile. so it's not "faux" anything, it's as authentic as it gets.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #186316

Fucking garbage. Playing mining trying to kill an angel keep missing repeatedly because it doesnt hit where I click. Had a hyper accelerator.
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #186318

yeah, it is kind of annoying against multiple tile creatures since the bullet wont actually hit them half the time.
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #186319

After millenia of tile based shooting this is very strange.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #186650

This makes buckshot hilariously powerful as you can now very reliably get all 6 pellets in for a disgusting 90 brute per blast.

I am very happy about this. It also helps kill stupidly hiding around corners and being arbitrarily immune to shots, forcing people to come into melee range, so that's good.
Apparently I was an director or something.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #186651

WJohnston wrote:I am very happy about this. It also helps kill stupidly hiding around corners and being arbitrarily immune to shots, forcing people to come into melee range, so that's good.
not really
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #186669

I've noticed it has SOME ISSUES, by which I mean it generally tries to fire at the center of the tile you clicked but the math is actually off pretty dang often and firing straight left will fire a shot that's going slightly downwards, while firing straight in any other direction doesn't do that, and in fact actually goes straight.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #186676

Anonus wrote:I've noticed it has SOME ISSUES, by which I mean it generally tries to fire at the center of the tile you clicked but the math is actually off pretty dang often and firing straight left will fire a shot that's going slightly downwards, while firing straight in any other direction doesn't do that, and in fact actually goes straight.
are you certain you're firing exactly straight, or that the gun doesn't have any inaccuracy
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #186679

Maybe I'm just a scrub/not used to it, but like, I STRONGLY dislike this. My aim feels way off, I shoot friendlies more often/miss/etc.
Other people have complained of the same, for what it's worth.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #186701

Get good
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #186719

Aiming is a bit different, yes, but to be fair it almost makes sense it should be harder to aim a gun, and not by an arbitrary game mechanic like some aiming skill. If you're running around like a maniac it makes sense it will be harder to hit people. This is overall a better change because it removed all the old legacy projectile pathing that was biased in certain ways.

TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #186730

Projectile speed probably need to be upped, a lot of the time projectiles can be outrun which is dumb
Last edited by TechnoAlchemist on Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #186747

iamgoofball wrote:
Anonus wrote:I've noticed it has SOME ISSUES, by which I mean it generally tries to fire at the center of the tile you clicked but the math is actually off pretty dang often and firing straight left will fire a shot that's going slightly downwards, while firing straight in any other direction doesn't do that, and in fact actually goes straight.
are you certain you're firing exactly straight, or that the gun doesn't have any inaccuracy
On testing this appears to happen only for simple animals, but yes, I'm certain I'm firing straight; Clicking on a tile(as a ranged simple animal) fires exactly on it in all directions except when firing left, where it'll slowly drift downwards.
There might be inaccuracy in the base pixel shot stuff but I'm not sure.
EDIT: Firing north as a simple animal is also slightly inaccurate.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #186816

TechnoAlchemist wrote:Projectiles probably need to be upped, a lot of the time projectiles can be outrun which is dumb
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #187213

Hitscan projectiles when?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #187298

Honestly i am a fan of Bay's insta lasers. What reason is there for lasers to travel at anything besides the speed of light anyways?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #187326

maybe they are not actual light projectiles, but sort of a plasma blast
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #187799

Also people, the projectiles aren't actually any slower than old projectiles, I tested that myself, they just seem slower now because they can move at angles.