MONSTAH HUNTAH?

Talk about video games here
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Re: MONSTAH HUNTAH?

Post by captain sawrge » #188397

Bottom post of the previous page:

jaxy15 wrote:
Alex Crimson wrote:Personally im skipping MHG as it looks like it has way less content than MH4U.
Nah. It's got a lot more quests, weapons, armor, and non-subspecies monsters than 4U, even without G-rank. The high-level Ferocious monsters are apparently supposed to be comparable in difficulty to level 140 guild quests, too.
it verifiably has less content then 4U
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #188399

and also 4U could do 60 fps, X is locked to 30
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #188685

Yo dawg them new bow skills are fucking sick

I don't know if they changed up bows controls in MH4U or if this is all new but I like it a lot.
Time to abuse.

EDIT: Aerial style greatsword is FUCKING CUHRAZY holy shit. Your forward roll becomes this front flip that launches you up into the air when it connects with a monster. After catapulting you can rock a GS charge that is incredibly meaty and seems to cause a fuckton of stagger

EDIT: Did they finally buff bowguns? It always seemed silly to me how slow they are to kill given how much defense you are trading away to use them. In MH2G/FU they got really good if you rocked an HBG and abused the loader skill to never have to reload. They quickly nerfed that shit afterward. I was just dicking around with the HBG in the Demo and it was the fastest-to-kill of all the weapons I've played with so far.

EDIT: Pre-emptive FC exchange let's do this

2809-7869-7840
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #188701

Stop the fucking presses Aerial style HBG gets a free reload when it connects with the launcher in addition to the fuckton of i-frames you get from the roll itself.

Jesus christ. This changes everything.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #188707

The hype train is gathering steam
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #188712

Despite my gripes about bowguns being underpowered they've been a favorite of mine for a long time.

In terms of usages my most-used weapons are probably (in some order)
Greatsword
Hammer
Light Bowgun
Lance
Heavy Bowgun
**POWER GAP**
Longsword
Bow
Gunlance
Hunting Horn
**POWER GAP**
Switch Axe
SnS
Dual Sword

What this does for HBG is extreeeeeeeeeme. HBG was god-tier for damage output and TTK with the auto-reload/speed fire skill of yore. The thing about HBG is that its individual shots, when aimed right with the right ammo, hit really fucking hard. Super hard. To balance this out, HBG's usually have very low ammo counts...which means you have to reload often. Which slows you down and also makes you really vulnerable. Honestly you will probably spend more time reloading or jumping around trying to create an opportunity to reload then you ever do shooting at something in most hunts. Auto-reload made it so you just load one ammo type and it's basically like you stuffed all the shots in your entire inventory into the gun at once, enabling you to just line up a shot and then hammer those bullets in. Savage damage output.

They got rid of that because holy shit 2 stronk.

This isn't quite as good but it's definitely abusable as fuck. This allows a hunter to stray super aggressive on a monster with very little downtime.

A common misconception non gunner players have is that HBG/LBG/Bow are ranged weapons. They really aren't. The damage fall-off is REALLY EXTREME in MonHun. Shooting monsters from much further than you can expect to hit them with a greatsword swing is just wasting ammo. You have to be up a monster's ass in much the same way as a blademaster would if you want to actually contribute damage. So you're almost always within tailswipe/claw/bite range, you have decreased defenses, you can't block, and you frequently need to stop and do a lengthy reload animation if you want to keep attacking.

...you would think that putting up with all of this shit would reward you with top-tier damage but it don't. It's nice to see at least that we have something exploitable from the get-go to really ramp up that damage output though.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #188713

I always saw the vulnerabilities of bowguns as a trade-off for the potential versatility of them. I know not all of them can load a big variety of rounds, but the opportunity to be able to provide multiple elemental/status effects on a single hunt always impressed me.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #188718

Just like how all your blademaster weapons only do one thing, it's rare to find an LBG that is good at multiple stuff. There's some potential there but it usually ends up being purpose-built...like "This is the gun I use to fight against this monster, this is the gun I use to fight against that monster".

As a blademaster you'll build an elemental spread for your weapon of choice. Here's my fire greatsword. Here's my lightning greatsword. etc.

As a gunner not only are you constantly crafting a fucking ton of ammo (and other consumables, you use a lot of items constantly) but you need to make a fucking ton of guns too. Multiple armor sets depending on whether you're going to be causing status effects, elemental damage, etc.

Like yeah guns can load a lot of different ammo types you can bring with you, but most of them time you're sacrificing one thing for the other. If you go into a hunt geared up to put a hurt on someone you may not have enough ammo and status strength to get more than one effect off...maybe not even enough to get a single effect depending on the monster. If you come geared to be king paralyze dude your damage contribution is going to be guttered, better hope your friends can capitalize on it.

IMO there's only two ways to go about bowguns. You either have an elemental HBG loaded for war and just shit big damage on something or you are sleep bombing something with an LBG as a big group. Poison is a thing that is good but you can also just carry a bunch of poison knives and mats to make more into a hunt and bring a weapon/armor combination that kills faster. There are so many consumables for causing status effects anyway that LBG's role as status guy is really overstated. Smoke bombs. Meats. etc.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #188719

I really hope they make some kind of throwing knife a non-supply item. I WANNA FLING SHARP THINGS
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #188720

There's always the boomerang, and hunting bow now has that razor shot.

I don't know if there's maybe a DS art that involves throwing one of your swords like a ranged attack? I want to say I heard something like that existed or maybe it was just some anon's wishful thinking.

I'd love to get a group together and just sleep bomb shit again. It's been a long time since the days of constantly shitting all over Alatreon as a group. My Uragaan gunner set saw so much use...fuck...

Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #188721

I always loved the Uragaan set. HELLO YES I AM HUGE. I'm glad he's back in Generations.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #188723

Mini Leno was the fucking greatest thing to ever happen to me and my friends while playing.

[youtube]Hgb1ZgJoydA[/youtube]

Holy shit, the fucking hilarity when we took this quest on for the first time.

You see the tiny Jay Leno and you're like "what the fuck? is this really it?"
And then it hits you and the damage is fucking INSANE. It's hilarious but also hard as balls.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #188727

they made sns insanely fucking strong in x so ill probably go back to that and also take up hammering i think now that they nerfed CB into oblivion

maybe ill try to keep up gunlancing but boy am i upset
capcom hates my favourite weapon so much
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #188729

sns has needed a buff since the dawn of time

inarguably worst weapon almost ten years running
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #188730

they're a good weapon, people underestimate them. a lot of the top jap speedrunners run sns.

they're pretty versatile too, you can do some neat shit with them.

and hell, im beggining to think nothing is worse than gl. all capcom needs to do is buff shell damage and instead they nerf the shit out of it. why. why. why. WHY.
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #188731

THAT FUCKING PHANTOM URAGAAN MUSIC

I can't listen to that without picturing 4 hunters doing the panic dash in an attempt to avoid a murderlizard the size of a tire. Shit was hilarious.

In MH4U they had a bit of a callback to it with a mini-Tetsucabra hunt. ITTY BITTY GRUMPTOAD
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #188733

sns has:
lots of quick attacks that are very good for applying status/elements, making them do huge damage if you can stay on the right part of a monster
very high mobility, letting you stick to that weak point
good motion values considering its attack speed
a flexible moveset
exhaust damage
easy access to superarmor for almost a full combo
the ability to use items at any time (huge)
shield for panic blocking
arguably one of the best aerial/mount attacks in 4u (can attack UP ledges)

in x they have:
blade oils, which are consumable self-buffs that give bonus affinity, exhaust dmg, or minds eye
a low-cd hunter art that gives a long, wide range attack that leaves you 100% invulnerable for its duration
a hunter art capable of doing charge blade burst levels of ko dmg

i didnt play them before 4u though so maybe they used to be worse
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #188741

Their DPS and TTK were the worst forever. If they've given them a buff recently that's great. They deserve it for sucking so hard for this long.

The only time I ever got any mileage out of SnS was in Tri on the Wii, joining pubs with the Azi Dahaka and inflicting paralyze on all kinds of shit for fun.

I remember the Rathalos sword always looked so boss but when trying to use it it was so shit. Better off just spamming LS.

Last edited by Timbrewolf on Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #188744

now if onyl the boomstick could get a buff too :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
it's such a cool and fun weapon and the moveset in 4u was excellent. the problem is so many people dont understand how it works, even the devs. capcom has no idea what to do with it at all. they were on the right track in 4u by buffing shell damage and adding a stronger version of the artillery skill, then they fucking went one step forward two back with the new mechanics in X. by trying to force players to use both the gun and lance, they've just made the weapon more gimmicky and frustrating. it'd be interesting if it weren't for the fact that they massively nerfed the weapon's overall damage to the point that you need to rely on the heat gauge do even come close to doing damage equivalent to 4u, where it was already considered one of the weaker weapon types
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #188754

Lance and Gunlance are the hipster-tier weapons of MonHun.

You use them because nobody else wants to.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #188771

Lance used to be my tanking weapon back in 3. Get Guard Plus and Guard Up, chug a mega dash juice, and just shrug of an Agnaktor beam while your buddies beat on him. It's still a greatly versatile weapon, but trying to use it solo is pure suffering.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #188779

>tfw you walk into a random hall in your finest Greatsword set and everyone else is using a Longsword

Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
IcePacks
Byond Username: IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #188896

An0n3 wrote:Yo dawg them new bow skills are fucking sick

I don't know if they changed up bows controls in MH4U or if this is all new but I like it a lot.
Time to abuse.

EDIT: Aerial style greatsword is FUCKING CUHRAZY holy shit. Your forward roll becomes this front flip that launches you up into the air when it connects with a monster. After catapulting you can rock a GS charge that is incredibly meaty and seems to cause a fuckton of stagger

EDIT: Did they finally buff bowguns? It always seemed silly to me how slow they are to kill given how much defense you are trading away to use them. In MH2G/FU they got really good if you rocked an HBG and abused the loader skill to never have to reload. They quickly nerfed that shit afterward. I was just dicking around with the HBG in the Demo and it was the fastest-to-kill of all the weapons I've played with so far.

EDIT: Pre-emptive FC exchange let's do this

2809-7869-7840
seregios lbg is hilarious in 4u endgame

i farmed literally all of g-rank e-peen elder dragon shit with a bunch of randos using old mohran/seregios lbg going pew pew with rapid fire pierce shots

EDIT:
An0n3 wrote:Lance and Gunlance are the hipster-tier weapons of MonHun.

You use them because nobody else wants to.
the pleasure pole got me into monster hunter
OOC: Deitus: tfw RL porn doesnt sexually excite me anymore
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #188905

Lances have always been my favorite weapon. In MH4U they got some neat new abilities, and can abuse the shit out of Evasion+3(New level of evasion that makes your entire roll/hop give you I-frames).

Bowguns in 4U are more popular than in any previous game. Same with Hunting Horns(which also got reworked in 4U). Its much easier to play a supporting role now that online play is available to everyone. HBGs are still the highest potential DPS weapons in the game, because they get that insane Siege Mode ability. LBGs are decent damage and great support with status shot.

Seregios LBG vs Shagara Magala lvl140(endgame super-hard G-rank quests). Sere LBG can reload by rolling and rapid fires Normal Shot lvl2. Love this LBG.

Super cheese tactics HBG
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #188914

>claiming a weapon class is top-tier because a single weapon in that class has something really good going on

That's not how that works.

Kelbi Bow did not retroactively make all hunting bows great.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #188956

But the HBG is a top tier weapon on DPS alone. You are really underestimating how fast this thing can rip through monsters. The only downside is that in solo hunts its much harder to use, but you can take 2 cats along with you to keep the monster busy anyways.

Its not like people use a single HBG. It depends on the monster. Although the most popular is the Pierce spam one. I think its Black Gravios or one of the Fatalis HBGs. I tried it out, but in the end i prefer LBGs.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #188980

I'm not saying gunners are terrible, it's just seemed to me like they should have more oomph for how many disadvantages they have to grapple with compared to EZ MODO Blademasters "Just hit it until it dies" gameplay.

The skill floor and ceiling are both way higher once you strip off all that heavy armor and start lugging around a giant cannon.

Daora's Delphinidae and the Rathling Gun+ have always been top-tier A E S T H E T I C. Maelstrom gets a shoutout too for being decent looking but also really effective.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #188990

i had a really shitty early grank hbg set and despite me having no idea how to gun we were like having our ttks just because I was gunning. Hbg out damages literally everything my dude
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #189001

Keep in mind I didn't play 4U. There's a lot of stuff that is still new to me and comparatively new to the franchise yet.

Are they ever going to drop the dumb arbitrary power numbers off weapons and show the actual damage stat?

It's really silly to see a SnS set ranked at the same kind of power level of a greatsword when the damage calc just shits all over it.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #189005

What the shit the damage calc on Spread Lvl 3+ is insane now. If you can actually hit with all the pellets it's the highest damage output per-shot.

Pierce was always the way to go before but it looks like in 4U spread has a higher potential if you can position yourself to make all the pellets hit.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #189011

Oh boy

[youtube]XS5z0_wqBv0[/youtube]
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #189037

Fuck this game is still almost a month away.

God dammit.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #189038

According to Gamestop, it's set to release at the end of July, instead of the middle like I previously reported. Not sure about the specifics.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #189039

July 15th is what I've heard
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #189051

According to /r/MonsterHunter its 25 days away. Still not convinced its worth buying.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #189120

Alex Crimson wrote:According to /r/MonsterHunter its 25 days away. Still not convinced its worth buying.
its not but im going to anyway
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #189187

I don't get why you wouldn't?

It's the biggest leap forward in gameplay since Tri.
Four distinct styles and all the different arts. A lot of minor new things for different weapons.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #189192

Because MH4U is better. Generations may have some shiny new mechanics, but it doesnt have G-rank. Like i said, its better to wait for the Ultimate version of MH games.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #189194

To me, having more mechanics to play with makes the game better than repeating boss fights with different colors.

Like, MHFU to Tri. I remember thinking that Tri was going to be a piece of shit because of how much stuff would be missing. I can't believe they would cut all these monsters and G rank stuff.

And then I played Tri and never went back to MHFU.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #189215

Tri was great, but then 3U was better, because its the same game just with tons more stuff.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #189351

the balance in X seems kind of iffy, imo. im never going to stop bitching about gunlance, but in general it sounds like a lot of other weapons either got too much or too little attention come the new generation. im still not sure if styles are interesting or just gimmicky, i havent played the demo much at all yet.

whatever, monhun is monhun. its good fun either way, and 4u isnt going anywhere if X fails to live up to it.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #191777

[youtube]TfAF_FLEVfA[/youtube]
NEW MAIN
gunlance is a meme weap anyway
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #191789

Does hammer do more damage based on the height fallen or something?

I don't get why they keep using bombs for extra height
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #191800

An0n3 wrote:Does hammer do more damage based on the height fallen or something?

I don't get why they keep using bombs for extra height
mostly just to look cool. although on some monsters if you vault them you can overshoot them and it's a lot trickier to get the right spacing to hit the head, so vaulting off something else into the monster can make it easier to get the positioning right
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #191818

Demo is out
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #194010

COMES OUT NEXT WEEK LADS
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
IcePacks
Byond Username: IcePacks

Post by IcePacks » #194459

i am overbudget by several weeks

i am ditching literally everything to get this when it comes out
OOC: Deitus: tfw RL porn doesnt sexually excite me anymore
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #194470

what dragon is most dragonest
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #194787

White Fatalis is the most dragon per cubic foot

Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #194796

That is a lot of dragon.
I'm pretty sure Tolkien once wrote one that was even more dragon, but this one comes close.
Also >not cubic meter
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #194889

Why does this game launch on Friday?

Seems weird.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno