Bottom post of the previous page:

[youtube]Ab5nfkr16sE[/youtube]
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Maccus
Byond Username: FrowningMaccus

Re: Watercooler/Slowchat 2: Son of Watercooler

Post by Maccus » #187242

ColonicAcid wrote:happy bday maccus as ur present i will now name you nigel.

god bless and thank u!!!
:')
Spoiler:
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #187314

Man, HTML is so simple compared to JavaScript I'm actually getting bored instead of frustrated or confused by these lessons. Not that I learned half the shit the JavaScript ones were trying to teach me, but I finished them, and that's what counts, right?
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #187316

EndgamerAzari wrote:Man, HTML is so simple compared to JavaScript I'm actually getting bored instead of frustrated or confused by these lessons. Not that I learned half the shit the JavaScript ones were trying to teach me, but I finished them, and that's what counts, right?
That's because one is a Markup language (Hypertext Markup Language) and the other is a fully fledged programming language.
Of course there's a void of complexity between the two.

JS isn't hard, what is is knowing which of the 70 billion languages the thing you're working with requires you to write the javascript in before it gets turned into JS by a machine
(Coffee script and such)
私は完璧
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #187317

Yeah, I know that, but they're the two things I was told to get familiar with prior to the coursework coming out next month, so I can't help but compare them in terms of complexity (even though they're nothing alike).
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #187318

do PHP while you're at it.

You've got your HTML for markup of a page.
You've got your JS for client side features.
PHP for your server side.

Then you realise Webdev is never just these 3.
it's these 3 and 90 billion things that make you write them differently
(CSS preprocessors like LESS or SASS, templating languages like {{moustache}} and Blade and things that build code for the 3 languages above but aren't themselves those languages like Coffeescript)

Webdev is ass.
私は完璧
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #187319

Scripting language
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #187320

Remie Richards wrote:Webdev is ass.
Better than doing this damn job.

Here's what the program curriculum entails:
Spoiler:
Object Oriented Programming
Debugging Techniques
Test Driven Development
Common Architecture Patterns
Data / Class Modeling
HTML / CSS / Javascript
Bootstrap Framework
Version Control (Git)

ASP.NET MVC
REST Using Web API
SQL Server 2014
SQL Reporting Services
ADO.Net / Entity Framework
Visual Studio 2015/ NUnit
Dapper
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #187323

Yeah that looks fine.
私は完璧
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #187324

What I'm most excited about is that I'm not used to using the technical part of my brain. Even with the little practice I've done I can already feel myself thinking in different ways, and I'm pumped to figure out what I can do once I build my mental muscles up a bit.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #187325

Programming is fun ya.
私は完璧
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #187332

fuck this gay nerd shit just go do a real science

like biochem

/flex
crack is whack but smacks got your back
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #187334

Go do psychology.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #187338

Motherfuckers I already have three degrees

This is my almost-midlife crisis here
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #187339

In sciences you can never be too qualified.
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #187342

Well most of my degrees are in what you'd call the Humanities: English (B.A.), Law (JD), and Library Science (Master's). But my brother and father are both engineers and I think this kinda stuff is in my blood. I've always wanted to make things work, and when I was younger I always envisioned myself working with computers. I can't go back to school for a full degree, so a three-month crash course suits my needs pretty well.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #187354

hi I guess I am getting a second degree in math

my first calculus test was today

rip
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #187355

bandit wrote:hi I guess I am getting a second degree in math

my first calculus test was today

rip
a second degree, in maths
or a second degree in maths?
私は完璧
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #187356

You see that:

MATHS, not math.

smh
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #187357

a second degree that happens to be in math

that is assuming I don't fail calculus which is always a possibility

all my spess time is going toward homework
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #187361

I'm sorry for your loss.
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #187378

Maybe I should eat more for lunch than beer and protein shakes.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #187382

Given the number of people who come out of Comp sci courses unable to write any code, and the majority of programmers I know being self taught, it really does seem that just getting stuck in is the best method of learning the subject.
私は完璧
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #187385

CosmicScientist wrote:I hope your test driven development is more fun than my university's, Azari. It was approached awkwardly since the coursework's specification was too bare bones for the system of making tests then programming to work but I appreciate knowing about it. I imagine it might be better for modifying existing systems than creating something from scratch unless you have a thorough design doc and I'm awaiting the day I don't need to change a unit test after I figure out a better way of coding it that invalids the original test.

(Also I'm jealous that you seem to be learning more than me, grr nine grand a year grr)
I don't think test driven dev is ever fun, it's just necessary
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #187437

At my uni compsci was so awful they closed the department last year.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #187479

Computing science is just that, the science of computing. All sciences are applied math in a way, but none of them are closer to actual math than computing science. On a very theoretical level, you can mathematically prove properties of algorithms and protocols with the right tools and calculi (such as undecidability, which means that a computer cannot solve a computation deterministically).
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #187484

As you said, all sciences are intrinsically connected to maths, but to state that CompSci is more than others is kinda iffy considering at the base level everything is maths.

You can cut down even biology to pure applied mathematics if you look at it abstractedly, and you can do it even easier with both Chemistry and Physics.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #187499

ColonicAcid wrote:As you said, all sciences are intrinsically connected to maths, but to state that CompSci is more than others is kinda iffy considering at the base level everything is maths.

You can cut down even biology to pure applied mathematics if you look at it abstractedly, and you can do it even easier with both Chemistry and Physics.
The difference is that for sciences like physics and chemistry, math is an end to a means. Computing science deals with how to compute something. It looks at the math itself and asks how it can be deconstructed into simple steps that can be rapidly solved by a machine.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #187505

Meanwhile, sociologists are sitting in back laughing their asses off about how all sciences can be traced back to math.

[youtube]mB97Qe2D4V0[/youtube]

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #187512

Part of why i love microbiology and genetics is that I never have to do any math more complicated than stoicheometry and solution chemistry equations
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #187513

as if more proof were needed that sociology isn't an actual science :^)
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #187514

Thank God that psychology, linguistics, philosophy count.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #187516

Computer degrees are more logic intensive.

If you think there is more math involved in CompSci than something like a Physics degree you're adorable.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #187519

Wyzack wrote:Part of why i love microbiology and genetics is that I never have to do any math more complicated than stoicheometry and solution chemistry equations
Yeah but when you get into super in depth genetics you have to do alot of maths surrounding probabilities and statistical reliability.

Same thing in biochemistry, everyone thinks it's just chemistry with a basis of biology but then the first topics you do as an undergrad is entropy of biological reactions. And I'm not talking about ΔG = ΔH - TΔS either.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #187572

An0n3 wrote:Computer degrees are more logic intensive.

If you think there is more math involved in CompSci than something like a Physics degree you're adorable.
At no point did I claim that CompSci involves more math than Physics. And you do realize that math is applied logic, right? Numerical systems operate on axioms which are defined in logic.
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #187575

Nerrrrdddsss

I watched new Top Gear today, it was a bit shit - seems they decided to remake Fifth Gear instead.
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #188388

The internet at work was down from just before I got here until just a couple minutes ago. That's over an hour. Sweet Jesus, I can't imagine what this is gonna cost us.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Post by 420weedscopes » #188402

Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #188407

The DL times on Steam are usually wildly off
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #188453

I paid the deposit and first month's rent for housing for the Software Guild. I'm really doing this.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Post by 420weedscopes » #188471

Zilenan91 wrote:The DL times on Steam are usually wildly off
this is my normal internet though
CosmicScientist wrote:snip
steam said it was 51 bytes a second
Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #188786

God help me I'm thinking of getting a tattoo
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #188790

I keep thinking of getting one but just end up going "eh, nah"

I kept thinking it'd be funny to get shit like packing labels and those sorts of stark industrial symbols rather than anything like tribal shit or pop culture references

"This way up"
"Do not dispose of in fire"
"made from 100% recycled material"

shit like that
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #188793

I would never pay money to mutilate my body like that.

I'm already enough of a wreck.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #188797

A mate of mine went to a bodymod place and got a tiny magnet implanted in his little finger, it took only a few weeks before his brain started interpreting the tiny movements it makes when he puts it near metal things and magnetic things and now it's a legit sixth sense. Apparently he could reach out and feel a sort of dome of force around the microwave when it was running, as well as being able to tell whether a drink can is steel or aluminium just by waving his hand past it and shit like that.
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #188798

I doubt I'll actually go through with it, as I change my mind a lot--not to mention the fact that my family would fucking filet me if they found out. I'd probably get something simple, like the period table symbol for Neon on my right shoulder.

Scree, I've heard of people doing that, and while the rational part of me thinks it's phenomenally stupid, the cyberpunk/transhumanist trash in me gets giddy over it. FUUUUTURRRRE
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #188801

Scree, what Azari said.

FUCKING MAGNETS

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #188806

Screemonster wrote:I keep thinking of getting one but just end up going "eh, nah"

I kept thinking it'd be funny to get shit like packing labels and those sorts of stark industrial symbols rather than anything like tribal shit or pop culture references

"This way up"
"Do not dispose of in fire"
"made from 100% recycled material"

shit like that
Barcode on your left arm, if anyone tells tell them its in memory of your jewish great grandad.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #188808

Transhumanist future is today boys, we are so close to proper cybernetics with sensory feedback i can practically taste it. I wonder how long it will take for the first elective prosthesis surgery to happen
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #188809

i will be ready to fight against the transhumanist filth

stay pure ya fucking animals

get the subshells of neon azari

1s^2 2s^2 2p^6
do it fam
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #188811

Actually it's considered a pretty chic thing to do in meteorologist circles to get a bunch of magnets implanted in your hands. You develop a bunch of weird senses based on their movement that allow you to tell the weather or some shit.

Sounds need but it also sounds like you're going to obliterate your cellphone or any other kind of magnetic storage/electronics you try to handle.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW: