Post by TheWiznard » #190815

Bottom post of the previous page:

don't forget the fedora to *tip
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Re: cataclysm dark days ahead- You just cant win

Post by Timbrewolf » #190822

I remember ages and ages ago arguing with grognards when they were trying to make the trenchcoat even more OP

Suggestions like having it have more base defense because people wore them in WW2 like body armor
Suggestions like making it protect the legs as well because of how long the coat length hangs down
etc. etc.

The thing that pushed me out of interacting with the community around DDA is that nobody actually gave a rat's ass about balance or what their contributions were doing to the game space. They just wanted to make their mark on it, and if their contribution is more powerful and more useful than other people's all the better in fact.

Bless Rivet for all the time they spent adding shit to the game. I'll preface my dislike for them by saying that at least they are committed. But when it comes to the stuff they added to the game all of their shit is stupid because it's either so strong, simplifies a bunch of other people's work so as to make what they've done useless, or adds something so needlessly complicated it makes the game harder when you're finding all these random parts for things you'll never use.

In the end I wish Rivet simply never "arrived" at Cataclysm and all the stuff they ever contributed was removed. Two great examples are the survivor toolbelt and the crucible. The survivor utilitybelt lets you combine a bunch of tools into a wearable(!) item that doesn't encumber you at all and provides all the functions of all the normal tools. Alllllll those tools can now be yours for 0 volume and only 7lbs of weight. That's blatantly imbalanced.

On the flipside you have the forging system, which requires you to find a ton of equipment, fabricate a bunch of work stations, consume a ton of resources and all this other running about just so you can make some melee weapons you wont need if you're capable of doing all this side shit. Where this really hurts gameplay is when I'm looting hardware stores and finding welding goggles, aluminum tongs, and the like instead of the wood axe or hacksaw I desperately need to progress upward through the games craftables.

So yeah remove Rivet 2016. If you need any clear proof that the game is kind of a gigantic fucking mess of open source just open the crafting menu after skilling up a bit and just look at all the stupid recipes there are in there, not just Rivet's.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #190825

I think trenchcoats do cover the legs now, but i have not played in some time. How can you stand playing the stable version? They release a new one like every six months, where as the unstable is updooted multiple times daily. I guess i am just a sucker for playing with all that unstabled bug ridden new shit.

Aside from my US marshal lizard mutant biker kung fu master, i think my best character was a military recruit from the helicopter crash start. I found some cooking books and a science ID card really early on, busted in to a lab and started cooking medical mutagen. Became an indestructable killing machine that felt no pain and was a neurotic mess from all the meds he was addicted to. It was fun.

Also i find rivet's caseless rivtech self insert guns to be kind of annoying, but i can never bring myself to remove them because on the occasional time where i can find a gun and ammo they are pretty powerful
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #190827

i mean yeah, it was clear DDA's development was stupid as hell when they added in static spawn without any real way to support it.

Thankfully now there are alternate jobs that change your loadout for your playstyle, now houses can hold pretty much anything that can be found in a store (It was fucking retarded that houses couldn't hold literally anything that could be found in a store) and its now easier to make basic shit both because of more varied materials and because there just are more basic low grade tools, but I did notice a lot of dumb stuff among the cool, but it's still clearly a dumb team.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #190830

Wyzack wrote:How can you stand playing the stable version?
Because there's already more than enough items and systems in the game as-is.
Oh boy unstable means even MORE wacky shit but also crashes, bugs, and ending runs because of corrupt data.

Yeah fuckin' sign me right up fam what was I thinking.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #190838

Experimental Z levels is mega hitler when walking near labs or that crazy vault town, but i have played pretty much exclusively unstable and i can probably count the crashes i have had on one hand. I will admit that the item and system bloat is pretty god damn out of control, but i just cant stand reading about cool shit people are doing on the cataclysm forums and then being unable to try it myself
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #190856

I can count the number of crashes I've had playing stable on one hand too

By touching my forefinger and thumb together

Fuckin' ZERO M80
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #190858

Tailoring may be OP but mechanics is a close second. If you find a luxury RV or even a normal RV and an eletric car to loot some solar panels off of you are pretty much set for life. a funnel, two tanks and a water purifier equals unlimited free water forever. Hook your forge, ammo press and RV kitchen up and you can pretty much not ever leave except to hunt. Even when i have a nice static base set up i usually build a 3 tile "vehicle" that is just a set of frames with solar panels, tanks and work stations
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #190871

Yeah I'm working on one of those vehicles right now.

I haven't been able to find an electric vehicle with panels and all the goodstuff yet.
So far it's just a shitrig car engine with an alternator, battery, and a floodlight bolted to it
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #190872

Advanced electric cars generally have 6-7 intact advanced solar panels, and are not terribly rare. Electronics stores will sometimes have them too. I have never really fucked with electronics crafting before so i do not know how easy they are to make
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #190878

IIRC the higher levels of solar panels are a real pain and resource-intensive to make, but the regular ones aren't too hard. I never could quite figure out how to make them work properly, but then again it's been months since I played. Fun fact, though: beds and carseats take up the same amount of space, so you can remove a seat and replace it with a bed in basically any vehicle for a mobile, semi-armored resting spot.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #190881

Finally found a car with one solar panel on it and wrenched it off.

Slowly puttering around on my motorcycle from clutser of wrecks to another after having mauled everything nearby is really cozy. "Oh hey look, a minifridge". "Siphon that gasoline". Just going from wreck to wreck, stuffing stuff in my bike's storage and then hopping back on again.

Feels real good man.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #190886

Once you clear some space and get self sufficient the game becomes cozy homestead looting simulator. My favorite is to find a small town with like 4-5 houses, clear it out completely, fortify it and start bringing in all the NPCs you can find to live there. I reclaim houses one by one and fill them with people. I even had one of the roads in to town barracaded off with a 7 tile long line of armor frames with gun emplacements on them, including a 120mm tank cannon i looted. If wander spawns is on you can have cool battles when the roving hordes assault your home
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #190907

Last time I played, I made TRUKK

It was a truck with armour plates and spikes all over, three engines, every kind of thing in storage and every possible comfort I could get. I was pretty much invulnerable until I decided to see what would happen if I drove it at 120km/h into town.

Went through several buildings before the thing broke down and a zombie horde swarmed it

TRUKK is kinda what I do any time I play this
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #190919

In the past I've just built INNAWOODS using a wood axe, wood saw, and a bunch of constructions. Comfy to the max. Traveling all around the world in a super RV just exploring is neat too, though.

Something is different now though and I can't seem to get water into my vehicles water tank. How do?

EDIT: Figured it out. Water has to be pure first, and then you re(f)ill it like it was a gas tank.

Thas dum

DOUBLE EDIT: I remember how I used to do it now. I would wield one plastic jerrycan with another in my inventory, and use the kitchenette to purify one can into the other, then dump it all into the tank. Doing this I was able to fill up off swimming pools and shallow water super easily
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #190923

The best way is to have a two tank system. One is a dirty tank and the other is clean. Put a funnel over the dirty water tank and it collects rain. If you have a water purifier and a second clean water tank on the vehicle it will automatically detect the two and connect them. Activate the purifier and it will purify as much of the water in the dirty as it can with its current charge and pump it all into the clean tank. This is brokenly powerful for how easy it is to set up, and completely removes the issue of lack of drinking water. If it has not been raining much you can always fill the dirty tank with a jerrycan from a river/as much toilet water as you can find
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #190925

Avoid swamps though
Fuck giant swamp life
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #190939

You mean you DON'T like swinging umpteen times at a giant dragonfly only to have it slowly batter you to death over the course of an hour?
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #190940

Krav Maga + Fingertip Razors = everything dies

OH SHIT DEM ANTS IS GOOD EATIN'

I never would've guessed attacking an ant colony so that I could devour all the bugs would be a good idea, but that's a whole lotta meat just crawling around over there

EDIT: Oh BABY

Just had a really dramatic fight in the middle of the city, mid-day during an autumn blizzard. I was wrestling around the streets with my motorcycle trying to find an RV (winter is coming), slipping and sliding. Strategic use of the horn allowed me to pull zombies to the outskirts of undiscovered territory before cutting through to see what was there. I passed by an RV that needed a new engine. I made a note and then peeled out, ready to head home and formulate a plan to come back for it.

Almost immediately after a random tough zombie throws itself in front of my bike and I go flying over the handlebars as the bike wobbles and coasts into a wall. As I get my bearings I see the whole fucking horde I'd been kiting is coming down the street after me. My bike is pretty fucked, the front tire is a wreck. I have a spare and the tools I need it in the back, but no time to make the swap before these fuckers are on me.

Go time.

I got ontop (well, inside of, but same diff) of a nearby car, yanked my kukri out of its sheathe, and didn't stop mutilating everything around me until there was nothing left to mutilate. A couple times I had to push through and relocate because of spitters or shockers but for the most part I made it through relatively unscathed. The most damage I took ended up being from a few shocks and the initial impact of flying off my bike and crunching through a fence.

Unfortunately night is coming and I don't want to be out here butchering all these shit while whatever else might show up (like one fucking zombie master or necromancer comes through and it's GG no RE) so I just fixed my bike and GTFO. Still need a plan to take that RV but goddamn.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #190994

We RV now. I like how they've updated it since I last saw one. The wing mirrors are a nice (but incredibly fragile) addition. You can store stuff in seats and beds now, so I can make the bed in the back cozy by adding a blanket and pillows to it...

I ripped the security system out and replaced it with a stereo because fuck yeah. welding some more solar panels to it, and going to add some more workshop shit to the back as well.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #190995

Those things can become literal fortresses if you add some strong plating to the sides and a good ram to the front
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #191051

I use Scorpion Style rather than Krav Maga with fingertip razors- the damage output is insane and the stun means almost nothing can 1v1 you.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #191144

Wyzack wrote:Those things can become literal fortresses if you add some strong plating to the sides and a good ram to the front
I forgot about plating. The last time I played around with vehicles it wasn't implemented right and damage would still go all over the place.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #191155

What are Secret Structures anyways? This looks really interesting
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #191163

Installing Bionics is just as fucking scary as I remember it.

I gambled on a 33% and got it hooooo boy. Wasted two other bionics but got away with just some minor injury for it.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #191180

[youtube]NaG4Ui1PCJY[/youtube]

Now I have to redownload this game again.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #191183

DELISHUS.png
DELISHUS.png (887 Bytes) Viewed 16459 times
[youtube]Ie3l459nXDs[/youtube]
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #191184

So many mutations
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #191185

Dude mutagen is for plebs you gotta distill that shit to serum and inject it namsayin?
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #191186

Wyzack wrote:Dude mutagen is for plebs you gotta distill that shit to serum and inject it namsayin?
I want to slam my mutagen not buttchug it.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #191187

Do you have robust genetics? Because if not you are gonna get a lot of bad mutations
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #191188

do you define being a furry as bad mutations
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #191192

Wyzack wrote:Do you have robust genetics? Because if not you are gonna get a lot of bad mutations
Dude you've seen pictures of me you know I've got those master race genes
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #191194

Then chug away. Never actually mutated a character with that unrefined zombie juice, i go for the themed stuff. Maybe i should try it and see what i get on my next character
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #191195

For maximum FUCK MY SHIT UP I killed more zombies, refined more mutagen, and now I have a jar with 7 units of serum in and I scrounged up a syringe from a doctor's office.

HERE WE GO BOYS
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #191196

inb4 furry cowwolfbearfish with elf eyes
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #191198

You get mutagen from shockers and special zombies right?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #191200

Mostly lupine mutations with a rat tail. Things went breddy gud.
ARGH.png
ARGH.png (3.82 KiB) Viewed 16435 times
Lost my ability to wear anything over my mouth, which kinda sucks for gas attacks and such.
Zilenan91 wrote:You get mutagen from shockers and special zombies right?
It's a high-level chemistry recipe you make from tainted meat.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #191201

Anon3 is ugly rabbit boy
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #191202

Fuck it just YIFF MY SHIT UP
FateMadeMeThisWay.png
FateMadeMeThisWay.png (1.63 KiB) Viewed 16434 times
HAHAHA OH SHIT IM ADDICTED TO FUCKING MUTAGEN NOW JESUS CHRIST
THIS IS A NIGHTMARE
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #191204

Addictive furfaggotry.

How accurate.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #191205

Ugly became pretty and my rat tail turned into a fluffy tail. Gained carnivore too.

We're deep in the original character territory now boys.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #191206

Time to become a cannibal rabbit man
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #191208

Zilenan91 wrote:Time to become a cannibal rabbit man
>lupine
>carnivore
>rabbit
Attachments
Suitable furfag reaction image.jpg

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #191210

foxes are verpine, lupines are rabbits/hares
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #191211

Oh my fucking god.

Foxes are vulpine: vulpes vulpes being the red fox.
Wolves are lupine: canis lupus lupus being the gray wolf.
Rabbits and hares are members of the order lagomorpha.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #191214

Vulpine right, no idea why I wrote verpine
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #191216

Zir confelmed fol Japanese.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #191217

You are sneaky but also have shouter. So much for stealth
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #191227

Wyzack wrote:You are sneaky but also have shouter. So much for stealth
http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/co ... lconsolid/
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #191228

I never realized how badly i want a Captain Falcon martial art in this game until this very moment

EDIT: U fuckers got me back in to this game now i will never conquer the old world. Playing a SWAT officer on a super dangerous world with lots of wilderness expanse. Looting the edges of a town trying to find a goddamn backpack so i can loot the guns i found in a basement. Also got a lucky combat knife, zombies get rekt by my Krav Maga now. SWAT armor is incredibly powerful early game, i would recommend the class to anyone struggling to get a start.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster