We Happy Few aka Bioshock 4

Talk about video games here
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

We Happy Few aka Bioshock 4

Post by DrPillzRedux » #192357

We Happy Few is an open environment first person action/stealth/espionage game set in a distopian 1960's English island. All the inhabitants are hopped up on a drug called Joy, making their actually shitty, run down world seem happy and fresh. Some refuse the drug and are called "downers", and they are forced to take the drug or are killed.

Gameplay is about fitting into the society of crackheads as a normal person. If you fail at blending in, you can run or fight with melee. Your goal is to escape the island.

Early access for it starts at the end of July for PC and Xbone, with the full release in 2017.

[youtube]ZSqOgDhinYI[/youtube]
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Fourty2
Byond Username: Fourty2

Re: We Happy Few aka Bioshock 4

Post by Fourty2 » #192360

Super stoked to see how this turns out. The old version of it was kinda fun, with an actual story, this game could be a blast.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #192361

One of the few trailers shown on E3 this year that actually caught my interest.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #192367

>tfw it speaks about river avon
>a river literally next to me

AM I NEXT???
crack is whack but smacks got your back
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #192377

ColonicAcid wrote:>tfw it speaks about river avon
>a river literally next to me

AM I NEXT???
is that a downer I hear?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #192384

No, just downs.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #192386

ur going to be 6 foot down under in a second big guy
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #192388

An0n3 wrote:No, just downs.
gotta love when anon pops back in out of nowhere with mad bantz
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #192391

Bet it will be even more of a masterpiece than the first three OP
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #192416

Oh hey, I saw this thing's kickstarter

It's solid. Every stage I've seen so far has been pretty good
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #192420

Don't see why people are so into this setting honestly, I like the evil british bobbies but the whole theme is just really cringey hot topic "what if ash ketchum was in a coma" shit
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #192430

I like the Orwellian style to be honest. It's very hard to find a game where you're in a 1984-style setting that isn't just normal stealth or generic action
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #192440

Anonmare wrote:I like the Orwellian style to be honest. It's very hard to find a game where you're in a 1984-style setting that isn't just normal stealth or generic action
dont get your hopes up
XSI

Post by XSI » #192487

I think a large reason for this thing getting hype is that it has a uniqueness to it.

And people are reminded of Psychonauts and such by the artstyle. So misplaced nostalgia.
That said, it looks to be pretty good at what it promises. Which is never a bad thing. Just don't expect hugely wild things from it and it will be fine
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #192514

Like colonics combacks this game showed initial promise but then turned out to be the same tired old shit

another forage-for-shit survival game oh boy no thanks
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #192516

U don't get it guys...its symbolism...the drugs represent Facebook and cell phones....stay woke!!
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #192517

There'll be a Few More Happy now that you're back, Crag.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #192522

I dunno an0n, I think the foraging sort of fits. The food and water in the society is drugged up the ass with Joy which makes the player have a substantially harder time avoiding taking the drug while within the town.
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #192530

Ricotez wrote:One of the few trailers shown on E3 this year that actually caught my interest.
The gameplay demo looked like garbo though. Not just the gameplay either, but random burnouts on the street pontificating about Oedipus and shit as if every hobo is a philosopher.
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #192542

Anonmare wrote:I dunno an0n, I think the foraging sort of fits. The food and water in the society is drugged up the ass with Joy which makes the player have a substantially harder time avoiding taking the drug while within the town.
With a setup like this a more narrative-driven game seems to make more sense. Like you escape, meet up with some resistance people or something, figure out why all this shit has ended up like this, then go on to try to overthrow this regime and free everyone from the shackles of their doped up existences.

...not repetitively run into procedurally generated towns and grab a bunch of water while making sure your three different bars don't deplete themselves. There are dozens of hunger/water/sleep simulator pro hit-tree-with-rock 2016 games out there. It's a real waste of the visual design and narrative setup to make this into another one.

This is basically "Sir, You are Being Hunted" with a little more production oomph behind it.

I know I'm not the only person who saw the early art assets for this and the trailer and thought "Oh wow, can't wait to see what the story in that game is!" and is now disappointed as fuck to find out the gameplay is this:

[youtube]g47lRSYN69M[/youtube]
Last edited by Timbrewolf on Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
1g88a

Post by 1g88a » #192543

An0n3 wrote:
Anonmare wrote:I dunno an0n, I think the foraging sort of fits. The food and water in the society is drugged up the ass with Joy which makes the player have a substantially harder time avoiding taking the drug while within the town.
This is basically "Sir, You are Being Hunted" with a little more production oomph behind it.
Bingo
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #192545

Just look at that fucking combat. It's so weak and lifeless. Just mechanically repeating the same animations while everything in the game bunches up and tries to swarm you.

All that clipping.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #192550

Ew there's fucking needs bars? Back when this game was in Pre-Alpha the only "need" you had to manage was your joy level so you could pass certain obstacles.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #192611

MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #192612

Watched some youtube jokers play it just looked like your average green lit minimum effort turd.

Had no idea it had fucking hype for some reason.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #192639

Like An0n3 said, it looked like a game with an interesting narrative from the E3 trailer. That caused a lot of hype.
Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #192662

Suppressed baggage?
You mean, like, silenced briefcase guns? That's James Bond-tier.
So sufficiently British.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #192695

I hate to grab people and say "NO THE THING YOU ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO SUCKS" but as someone who saw the initial art direction and setup and was 110% in, then my jaw dropped off my body when I saw the actual gameplay, I want to hopefully prevent people from having to spend $30+ only to have that same experience. This is shaping up to be like another No Mans Sky, a game you have to purposely try to lower people's expectations of lest they get duped.

If you see the gameplay stuff and it still looks like something you want to play, a procedurally generated survival roguelike thing, then by all means have fun and I'm sorry for yelling.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #192702

Yeah feels great having given them $40 dollars

monkeygivingdonaldduckcyanidegaswhilehethanksjesus.jpg
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #192708

An0n3 wrote:Like colonics combacks this game showed initial promise but then turned out to be the same tired old shit
you have just castrated me both metaphorically and literally
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #192710

These bantz out of control
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
XSI

Post by XSI » #192724

An0n3 wrote:$30+
There is no way they'll try that if they're sane. 20 at most, maybe 15. They have a nice concept, not a good execution.
Seriously though, should be worthwhile with low expectations from what I've seen of it
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #192750

Maybe you guys should wait for the full release? It's not even early access yet.

a correct post by pillz
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #192752

Ah yes, that sweet, sweet idealism.
Hey, give it some time and maybe one day you won't have to pay taxes~!
1g88a

Post by 1g88a » #192842

DrPillzRedux wrote:Maybe you guys should wait for the full release? It's not even early access yet.
This defense only really works in regards to bugs/balance, or features that are "to be implemented", not the gameplay fundamentals. Sir, You are Being Hunted didn't look too promising outside of its basic premise and art style, much like We Happy Few, and look how that turned out.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #192866

That's like shitting on a car before it actually comes out because OH ITS FWD ITS A V12 BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Wait and see how it is before you trash it.

a correct post by pillz
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #192868

sorry op this game is shit
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #192873

captain sawrge wrote:sorry op this game is shit
the only thing shit heree is anons face

a correct post by pillz
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #192887

If I stomp you out will you delete this thread when you run away?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #192893

I'm not running from SHIT :^)

a correct post by pillz
1g88a

Post by 1g88a » #192894

Allow me to rephrase my critique of this game into terms you may understand. "We Happy Jew" thank you, goodnight.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #192897

DrPillzRedux wrote:I'm not running from SHIT :^)
You aren't bringing it either.

Is your name DrPillzRedux because your parents wish they could have a do-over?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #192920

1g88a wrote:Allow me to rephrase my critique of this game into terms you may understand. "We Happy Jew" thank you, goodnight.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #192949

Firen you degenerate sauerkraut eating scalebelly, as a deutschfag you're not allowed to post antisemetic memes even ironically or in jest. I have alerted merkels death squad.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #192982

Unfortunately I know enough about Kantian ethics and natural rights theory to make them do my housekeeping as compensation for threatening a fellow being of reason.
Understanding the German ethos pays.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #198989

The gamer zeitgeist has achieved consensus. We Happy Few? More like "We Crappy Poo."
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #198996

'AKA Bioshock 4'

Ha, who thought that was true. What you saw some 60's and your brain instantly thought Bioshlock? Funny guy, funny funny.

Shame it had to become another crafting/survival adventure in the ever increasing pile of crafting/survival games.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #198997

Ain't most of them multiplayer though?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #199033

CosmicScientist wrote:
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON wrote:'AKA Bioshock 4'

Ha, who thought that was true. What you saw some 60's and your brain instantly thought Bioshlock? Funny guy, funny funny.

Shame it had to become another crafting/survival adventure in the ever increasing pile of crafting/survival games.
What is bioshock supposed to be? I never played the games but all I hear is pure capitalism underwater society, superpower drugs that mess you up in the head and then some weird Vatican city in the clouds that wants to bomb land bound cities into ashes (because 20th century countries couldn't take on a 20th century fantasy city state that is heavily reliant on not falling out of the sky). Also something about the first one having an okay story that probably supersedes most modern games whilst the last one won the award for pretentious story of the month. I don't know, all I know is infinite universe hopping makes everything very meaningless and I'm being very judgemental over things I know nothing about/am not the target audience for.

Bioshock is a story about a rich guy that doesn't like paying taxes so he builds a city underwater that's all about making that dough without silly things such as ethics and liability. Another rich guy who may be some kind of crime boss funds a German science lady for her plasmid project while at the same time appealing to the lower classes (because even in your underwater paradise you need people to do manual labor.) with shelter and orphanages in order to take over the city. Eventually the 1st rich guy catches on and gets rid of him in some civil war conflict that turns the city into the shithole that the player gets to see.
XSI

Post by XSI » #199051

Yeah. In We Happy Few it's a shithole all along and people take drugs to make it look better

Kinda like Russia.