Repairing bomb damage no longer a real option.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Repairing bomb damage no longer a real option.

Post by firecage » #194009

These days, people trying to repair bomb damage almost never happens anymore, even when it is a single bomb somewhere. These days people just tend to instantly call the shuttle, partly due to construction(and thus repairing) just taking so much longer these days, and also because the air just drains to fast from areas, along with the heat and pressure, making it even more work. So the shuttle gets called so fast after even a single bomb because people won't repair it. On the flip side, people won't repair it, since someone is just going to call the shuttle anyway.

So what would be the best option to remedy this situation?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: Repairing bomb damage no longer a real option.

Post by Armhulen » #194014

You're not wrong. RCD needs a better way to get ammo and ammo needs to fit in my pockets dammit
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #194018

I'm pretty sure you can fill up RCD at the ground zero, using rods, metal tiles and shit.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #194019

Lumbermancer wrote:I'm pretty sure you can fill up RCD at the ground zero, using rods, metal tiles and shit.
funny story, i looked at the small things that help out thread literally right after posting it. useful, but the ammo should totally fit in pockets.
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #194024

It's actually easier to repair bomb damage now that, for the most part, pipes remain undamaged, the station blueprints show where all the pipes are supposed to be, and grilles and other things protected by windows remain undamaged.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #194025

It would be nice if engineer mesons showed the station blueprint vision. Or a cheap science upgrade goggles
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #194031

RCD's now have matter cartridge clusters which completely fills them back up apon use, these fit in backpacks only, but the RCD's capacity is upgraded to 500 units.

The tool vendor now dispenses 60 matter cartridges, and 20 cartridge clusters. Normal cartridges now fit in your pockets and in boxes (tiny item)

A additonial experimental RCD, that spawns in the CE's locker, starts with 1500 units and has no construct delay, it also has modes for piping to.

All engineering mesons are now replaced with the scanner goggles the CE gets, and now have 4 modes, Meson, T-ray, Blueprint, and Off

Metal rods can now be made into coils of girders, which when you throw in a direction of space tiles, unwinds and places down girders untill it runs out.

Along with metal grenades, engineering recieves a box of floor tile grenades, which places down tileless floors on girders, and tiles onto tileless floors.

There are now four engineering hardsuits, which all spawn with jetpack upgrades at round start.

All of the oxygen tanks in the storage in engineering are filled all the way up (1013kpa)

RnD can research bluespace RCD's, which allows you to place walls anywhere that you can see (eyesight only, cameras not allowed) These have no click delay and contain 2000 units.

In engineering secure storage, there are 4 devices called "Power Nets" which when placed apon a APC link, will fill out where all of the wires used to be, but completely drains the power of the APC. This doesnt destroy the device or the APC.

There is now a new engineering job, called the foreman, which is Engineer+1, he is loyalty implanted and directly reports to the CE.

He recieves a normal brown hardsuit, but it has additional yellow stripes along the arm and down the center of the helmet, the helmet of which has two lights, similiar to how the mining hardsuit is.

Spawns with a industrial RCD that has 1000 units and a faster construction time in his locker.
Spawns with 3 MCC's in his locker
Acts as the middle ground between the engineers and the CE. Still counted as a mini-head (QM, Warden)
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #194050

I don't like the idea of RCDs being extremely common since it's basically an all-access ID. If you're smart you ca decon an airlock and put up a copy of the door you just deconstructed - without anyone the wiser. Plus it's easy as fuck to reload now since it converts metal and glass into matter units.
CE has enough experimental toys already in my opinion - they get superior no-slips that counteract gravity without slowdown, a fire-proof and near-perfect radiation-proof hardsuit, the blue prints (Which are required to make 'new' areas on the station and not just re-classify existing ones like construction permits) and the head of staff standard telebaton, flash and generic security access.

I'd rather existing construction techniques were improved more. Or hell, make floorbots a viable means of sealing breaches now that they get infinite tiles.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #194093

Cables and pipes don't break under floors and walls anymore, so you have no excuse.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #194098

CEs need to grow a backbone and recall the shuttle when their engineers have started to sealed up a hole that got the shuttle called.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #194109

Its funny, as we make rebuilding from explosions easier, people just get lazier.

I remember rebuilding from hand, no suit, coffee in one hand, rods or tiles in the other.

Fucking bunch of "hugbox" coddled noobs.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #194110

Why would I spend 10 minutes rebuilding a room to perfection if shuttle will be called before I'm even done?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #194111

It's more fun to just leave than to repair a breach.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #194114

How am I supposed to roll for my chance at the grief lottery if the shuttle isn't called immediately?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #194120

Hull breach repairs happen all the time on basil.

At least when I'm online because I'm always first to the scene. I even spent 15 minutes as an antag fixing a hole in the station and trying to patch up the distro loop just so I could flood the station with plasma afterwards.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #194121

I'd rather existing construction techniques were improved more. Or hell, make floorbots a viable means of sealing breaches now that they get infinite tiles.
Breach bot: similar construction method to floorbots only you use an RCD instead of an arm. If it's near a breach it'll automatically move to it and quickly patch it up. It'll only lay down the base floors though so as not to cover up broken pipes. If you had one of these, a floor bot, and an engineer I'd imagine breaches would be patched up in no time.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #194168

The air gets sucked out way too fast now. What ups with that? Ive seen a one-tile breach cause the deaths of people on the other side of the hallway.

The Floor Tile Grenade would probably be a good idea. Along with maybe some kind of breach announcer for the Engineering channel, or do they already have something like that?
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #194188

Alex Crimson wrote:Along with maybe some kind of breach announcer for the Engineering channel, or do they already have something like that?
Yeah it's called the AI
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #194206

So are engineers meant to just be carrying an rcd and a pack of cartridges at all times now?

I dunno if in effect it makes up for crippling commonly available hand construction to push engineering god department even further with their magic wall wands.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #194218

Jacough wrote:
Breach bot: similar construction method to floorbots only you use an RCD instead of an arm. If it's near a breach it'll automatically move to it and quickly patch it up. It'll only lay down the base floors though so as not to cover up broken pipes. If you had one of these, a floor bot, and an engineer I'd imagine breaches would be patched up in no time.
You know that :tile:s have a hull plating only mode, yes?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #194225

I know paradise made it so metal foam grenades put metal foam floors over all breaches. That would be a nice change to have here.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #194256

This, ten thousand times this.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #194273

You can repair a maxcap bomb breach in five minutes along with APC and wire and pipe damage and all if you vaguely remember where everything is supposed to go.

Longer if you need to rebuild machines because then you have to walk to RnD and ask for boards and parts and they don't fit in your backpack and you have to make multiple walks and wait while the RnD or cargo make the parts and then they run out of materials or acid and you can't get acid because the medbay was bombed or the chemists are dead or were the ones who bombed medbay or whatever. IMO this is the biggest hassle. Maybe if engineering got its own lathe or parts warehouse or whatever it'd be easier but I dunno.

There's just zero point in repairing breaches if no-one's going to use the fixed area anyway due to all machines being broken.

Not to mention there's little point in fixing it OOC, aside from some dopamine kick if you still have your glands and reward system functioning properly (which I doubt since we're talking about ss13 audience). You gain literally nothing from a completely fixed breach, as an engineer. So I guess people just won't bother no matter how easy it is. Or maybe they're intimidated by the seemingly-unfixable hole. Or maybe it's just boring and tedious and if there was a jury-rigging system in place (make a cryo tube out of a canister, pAI, and a space heater) it'd be more creative and fun. I dunno.
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #194278

Extend shuttle refueling to FORTY MINUTES. What could go wrong.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #194282

> Singulo and goofball are loose roundstart, because engineering jobs attract morons
> Can't call the shuttle for 40 minutes
> By the time we can, there's nobody to call it.
Bring back papercult.

Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #194293

Shuttle auto calls if all ways to call it are destroyed.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #194298

>everyone dead
>one console somehow survived
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #194300

InsaneHyena wrote:> Singulo and goofball are loose roundstart, because engineering jobs attract morons
> Can't call the shuttle for 40 minutes
> By the time we can, there's nobody to call it.
And that shall be the end of SS13. A husk devoid of life floating in space for all eternity.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #194312

DemonFiren wrote:>everyone dead
We used to have the game restart when everyone was dead.

They took that out I think.

Besides even with 99% of the crew dead restart votes don't pass so I suppose we enjoy it.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #194320

Incomptinence wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:>everyone dead
We used to have the game restart when everyone was dead.

They took that out I think.

Besides even with 99% of the crew dead restart votes don't pass so I suppose we enjoy it.
Even if a restart vote passed or an admin force restarted, there would be that one faggot to make a complaint thread saying his round was ruined because he was off in space rebuilding the white ship.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #194371

Alex Crimson wrote:The air gets sucked out way too fast now. What ups with that?
This is how it was always supposed to be, however atmos processes only as fast as it can with idle cpu. I fixed a bug recently that caused all of lavaland to be in the active turfs lists, so basically all of lavaland was processing in atmos as active turfs for no reason. Now that I fixed that atmos is able to process at 2 times a second like it's suppose to rather then get overloaded trying to process all of lavaland.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #194373

MrStonedOne wrote:Now that I fixed that atmos is able to process at 2 times a second like it's suppose to rather then get overloaded trying to process all of lavaland.
The real gift here is now Atmos techs have an actual job. If you do nothing, distro line gets emptied out.
If you set up distro properly or (utilize the tons of massive air tanks scattered across the station as an assistant), distro will be able to support it and you can set fixed rooms to refill at 3x rate from air alarms.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #194707

I don't remember a time when it was ever a real option, it always required a supportive captain and the crew pitching in along with eva being opened.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #194711

Well it somehow became even less of an option due to construction and atmos ~*#realizmz#*~ overriding sensibility and game play and screwing said non engineering crew that would join in.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #194713

Are you honestly arguing that the slow "never affects the round in any way" atmos is better than the current atmos? Because son, that is ridiculous.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #194721

For round duration? Definitely worse. Similar deal with when they made the singularity faster.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #194722

"New" singulo is a fucking treasure, you watch your mouth.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #194723

Before it was actually speed up the atmos system may as well have not existed at all, at least now it interacts with the round in a way that is meaningful and makes it worth the time spent book-keeping on it.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #194725

There is no reason to fix the station because the station serves no gameplay purpose other than as a highly destructable arena.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #194753

Kor wrote:There is no reason to fix the station because the station serves no gameplay purpose other than as a highly destructable arena.
B-but my autism...
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #195023

Kor wrote:There is no reason to fix the station because the station serves no gameplay purpose other than as a highly destructable arena.
We should add more stuff to the lava planet in that case.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #195073

Pretty much what Saeg said. People COULD repair it, but they may as well get another chance at the grief lottery right?
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #195291

Lumbermancer wrote:
We should add more stuff to the lava planet in that case.
Lavaland is a good example of people having fun doing their job/working against PVE elements instead of standing about waiting to lynch antags, yes.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #195296

So how do we fix it? Remove all modes but extended?
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #195344

Well, we can remove the singularity and add a counter to the Tesla to disable a rogue Tesla. We can also make revert the chances to construction which made it painfully slow.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #195351

firecage wrote:remove the singularity
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #195371

Why don't we just FORCE longer rounds? That would solve so many of the problems with the game in its current state. So, so many.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #195410

There's issues with this, in part, because of player/crew reaction. Like a plague outbreak, people don't react smartly. The virus ends up being released because people can't stay in one place five minutes and quarantine breaks; people constantly open firelocks and spread infernos or vacuums. Red flashing lights?! Whats that mean? There are radios, people often and do report where there is damage.

yes, the places do vacate of air rather badly now, and with more robust explosions it seems from the syndicate bombs from uplinks, even fully repairing is a lengthy and usually pointless endeavor.

To that end, however, repairs shouldn't be even ABOUT 'rebuilding' the room into whatever it was. It's about filling the breach so the station can keep going without suffocating. Seal the gap; if medbay lobby has a hole in it, put up walls/grills and make people enter from teleporter-side. Maintain integrity as best you can as fast as you cannot restore it. Scientists and such will do that on their own if they can, that's pretty much their job. We have multiple vacant offices even on boxstation.