Flawed content getting crutches

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Flawed content getting crutches

Post by J_Madison » #200377

Discuss coders giving inherently flawed content, crutches or creating a duct taped fix to a problem.

Examples of this are the ridiculous amount of buffs and crutches many gamemodes and antags have gotten simply because how how inherently flawed the game mode is.

Remember these flaws must result in a crutch to be discussed about. Game modes like Hand of God was flawed, but never received crutches.

Clock Cult for example has gotten this barrage of content and crutches to the gamemode when it was inherently flawed in the first place. These constant buffs and crutches has made it difficult to play, understand, and ridiculously overpowered.

Gang implant breakers are the stupidest fix to a fast conversion gamemode. It was a crutch added in because people didn't want to do surgery. Best part is these implant breakers are rarely used. It's just a crutch to otherwise cripple an already crippled security team.

Another crutch I absolutely despise is zombies getting the ability to tear down doors. If it wasn't bad enough that we had zombies killing everyone, but there's no way to hole up or hide because some zombie players got mad that they couldn't get through a barricade.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Re: Flawed content getting crutches

Post by Bombadil » #200386

I've never seen zombies in play
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #200388

They used to be in xenobio, but it was found to be way too disruptive and was discontinued.

How did it disrupt you ask?
Players would purposely allow them to be infected and thus disrupt an otherwise green text or normal round in minutes.

However places like the Kitchen and the brig was safe because zombies couldn't tear down doors or walls.

So they gave zombies a crutch to tear down doors.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #200394

Zombies are the worst cuz they could also float through space, and since they are played by players they would start floating around the outside of the station smashing into every isolated spot and chasing after jetpackers.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #200406

Gotta eat dem valids. Airlock opening was a mistake
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #200440

Zombies were a mistake in general I'm sorry friends
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #200443

I mean honestly as a once in a while thing i kinda enjoyed it, hiding around in maint tunnels, fortifying an escape pod and listening to some poor fuck hopelessly bang on the door before the zombies eat his shit. It just got stale pretty quick
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #200453

J_Madison wrote:Clock Cult for example has gotten this barrage of content and crutches to the gamemode when it was inherently flawed in the first place. These constant buffs and crutches has made it difficult to play, understand, and ridiculously overpowered.
Isn't clock cult's issue that it has no crutches and is thus horrible to play if you don't understand what all your shit does?

I'd really point out normal, bog-standard cult as the one with all the crutches; stunpapers, shuttle curses, wall runes, blood boil, just to name the more obvious ones.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #200455

It's almost like ~every~ mode has been heavily modified to not be shit
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #200460

Anonus wrote:
J_Madison wrote:Clock Cult for example has gotten this barrage of content and crutches to the gamemode when it was inherently flawed in the first place. These constant buffs and crutches has made it difficult to play, understand, and ridiculously overpowered.
Isn't clock cult's issue that it has no crutches and is thus horrible to play if you don't understand what all your shit does?

I'd really point out normal, bog-standard cult as the one with all the crutches; stunpapers, shuttle curses, wall runes, blood boil, just to name the more obvious ones.
There's so many "fixes" and "features" added onto Clockcult to solve it's weaknesses without addressing the biggest problem; it's too complicated.
Unfortunately for cult, I have to call "grandfather clause". It's a pathetic rebuttle I understand, but it falls under grandfather clause where it's so old and out of standard, even I can't describe it's special snowflake situation without sounding wrong.

Old cult, seems to me is based around crutches entirely. Rather than a gamemode that was given crutches.
ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #200465

J_Madison wrote:
Anonus wrote:

There's so many "fixes" and "features" added onto Clockcult to solve it's weaknesses without addressing the biggest problem; it's too complicated.
Unfortunately for cult, I have to call "grandfather clause". It's a pathetic rebuttle I understand, but it falls under grandfather clause where it's so old and out of standard, even I can't describe it's special snowflake situation without sounding wrong.

Old cult, seems to me is based around crutches entirely. Rather than a gamemode that was given crutches.
I wouldn't call that crutches, though? It might be excessive features/options, but unless they actually prop the clock cult up they're not crutches.

If old cult is literally a pile of design crutches it probably needs something, you can't even say grandfather clause because the current state of it was produced this year.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #200475

ratvar gets buffed to fuck but 90% of what you said is a crutch isn't a fucking crutch
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #200482

The unloved rock wrote:ratvar gets buffed to fuck but 90% of what you said is a crutch isn't a fucking crutch
anything outside of release shadowling is a crutch

these buffs are crutching ratvar because it's the only thing remotely holding it up. ratvar wasn't coded on strong game structure.
Anonus wrote: I wouldn't call that crutches, though? It might be excessive features/options, but unless they actually prop the clock cult up they're not crutches.

If old cult is literally a pile of design crutches it probably needs something, you can't even say grandfather clause because the current state of it was produced this year.
The concern is, you can literally base a gamemode around crutches only or minimal crutches.

But mixing them together in my opinion is a terrible idea.

A real life example would be Poker vs Chess. Poker is entirely RNG based. Chess has only one form of RNG (who starts first).

I think crutches should be minimised and ways to solve inherent weaknesses in content should come outside of giving it a hard fix (crutch).

Cult is inherently the weakest gamemode in my opinion because it has incredibly snowflaked everything (conversion, deconversion, mechanics), but makes up for the abysmal game structural strength by having so many of these crutches to solve it's weakness (instakill, stuns, instacrit AOE, armour and sword).

This doesn't make cult any better because it is still inherently weak in terms of gameplay. But here we have Clockcult which seems weak in gameplay, and given all these buffs and crutches that overcomplicate things.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #200485

Zombies are good, zombie events I run get overwhelming approval, I didn't like making it organ-based but zombos are ~fun~.

If a slower version of a crewmember that hits lighter than a spear is ruining you, I suggest gitting gud.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #200491

I'm sorry but you're complaining that we're modifying gamemodes to make them playable for our player base???

Okay mate.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #200495

In this context crutch seems to be a near meaningless buzzword referring to "any game mode balancing feature that I don't like"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #200500

pretty much yeah
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #200504

Wyzack wrote:In this context crutch seems to be a near meaningless buzzword referring to "any game mode balancing feature that I don't like"
I'd say it's a buzzword for giving content something as a quick and blunt fix, which fixes that problem but offsets everything else.
ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #200508

It is not being used as what I think it means, which is "any instance of something that the related whatever could do without,I feel bad typing that but whatever but is disproportionately relied on by that whatever"
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #200524

Anonus wrote:It is not being used as what I think it means, which is "any instance of something that the related whatever could do without,I feel bad typing that but whatever but is disproportionately relied on by that whatever"
well it seems to me a lot of the "crutches" given to the content could do without, but was added because the content had to rely on it or fall flat on it's face.

See Shadowling and Thrall stun.

It seems whilst it's acceptable for a cult gamemode to have several things it relies on, I don't like how some features are handed to Clockcult simply because the gamemode seems to fall flat on itself due to the complexity.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #200554

J_Madison wrote:Gang implant breakers are the stupidest fix to a fast conversion gamemode. It was a crutch added in because people didn't want to do surgery. Best part is these implant breakers are rarely used. It's just a crutch to otherwise cripple an already crippled security team.
Implant breakers are fine, if you aren't a shitter they also happen to be the most important tool for a gang boss. Surgery takes too long to be useful in a gamemode when every second you don't convert someone is a second someone else does.

Without them you literally just have to butcher and clone everyone before you implant.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #200556

ShadowDimentio wrote:It's almost like ~every~ mode has been heavily modified to not be shit
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #200558

>Balancing gamemodes is bad

What the actual fuck
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #200665

Wyzack wrote:In this context crutch seems to be a near meaningless buzzword referring to "any game mode balancing feature that I don't like"

More like a buzzword for "balancing change that isn't what i would do so it's a 'lazy fix' to an 'issue'"

His thought process is that fixing an issue keeps the issue, you have to remove the issue.

Such as say if the singulo is op, a lazy fix would be to slow down it's consume rate, raise the energy levels for each level, etc. a proper fix in his mind would be to remove the singulo.

With that in mind, re-read his posts, and they both make more and less sense, you'll see what I mean.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #200676

That's a little extreme. Think of it in the prime example of crutches; Shadowling. Did it need the ridiculous stun on the thralls and the shadowling?
Definitely not.

Did it solve the problem of Shadowling being too difficult to complete objectives?
Yes, in a way.

Did it unbalance everything and get disabled because of that?
Yep.

The issue is, if it's flawed in the first place, plugging it up with such a direct response is a duct tape fix.
A bigger picture here is not to flaw it in the first place, but we're not perfect. However fixing these flaws shouldn't need something that makes it flawed by being flawless.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #200698

What are you even talking about

Shadowling got removed

Why are you complaining about something that got removeds balance?
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #200722

J_Memeison
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #201925

The term crutch fix is derived from a literal crutch: a device to help you stand when your leg is broken. Or, the issue is still there, we just fixed it by using something else, like a new feature. This means that if that crutch is taken away, or the new feature is not present in a given situation, the leg is still broken, or the issue is still there in its full glory. Where a non crutch fix would be directly addressing the issue, or fixing the leg itself, so you don't need a crutch, and can walk on your own just fine.

That is the true definition of a crutch fix, parallel with a literal crutch.
I lurk quite often...