About Chemistry

General SS13 Chat
Lemondo
Byond Username: Lemonlord

About Chemistry

Post by Lemondo » #201957

I'm honestly starting to feel chemistry is kind of weak. Don't get me wrong, there are some robust chemicals, but it seems like almost every time I have figured out a chemical that had a really strong effect it got nerfed a couple weeks later. I really feel chemistry could use some more robust chems or a rebuff of some of the formerly effective to at least a fraction of their former glory.

If you're wondering what I mean I do have a couple examples. Clf3 used to be incredibly strong, it's very limp now. Fluorosulphiric Acid used to burn holes in the station and crit people in about 10 seconds, now it can only rarely damage the station and does rather lackluster burn. Water and potassium grenades have been nerfed multiple times and now hardly do anything more than a 2x2 area of real damage. I also believe they may have nerfed nitroglycerin, but I don't get many chances to use it, so it's a little hard to get good results and tests done.

It's honestly a bit of a bummer. I feel like a lot of my antagonist options are a lot slower than just getting an improvised stun baton and then bashing their head in with a toolbox. Now I know you're probably thinking, "well if you want to be more subtle than robusting that guy's head in you could poison him", but the issue with that is is that most poisons take upwards of a minute and a half to kill the person, this is PLENTY of time for someone to make their way to medbay and acquire some antitoxin from a medical doctor or some pentetic acid/calomel if there's another chemist. The most frustrating part of all this is that it seems most grenades you can make won't be very lethal on a large scale outside of black powder, but this can be annoying to use if the igniters are missing from tool storage.

Now I acknowledge I may be wrong or missing something, but I have played this job a lot and have experimented a lot and I feel like even combining multiple poisons is still way too slow to be practical. If any of you know of any really practical and highly lethal grenades or patches I would love to hear it, please tell me I am wrong.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: About Chemistry

Post by iamgoofball » #201964

I have been summoned

Buffs soon bby
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #201970

Practical and lethal? Smoke. Ground plasma expanding fire and flash powder ispretty fun.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #201974

The only problem I have with hyper lethal/super stuns in chem is they shouldn't be able to make them in the first 10 minutes of a round without ever leaving chem. Chemicals like meth and bathsalts should be the baseline for the effort needed to make killchems and needing resources not found in chemisty or machines that might not be in their lab would be one way to balance it out so tator chems don't just make 10 or more hellfoams and use them against the crew before mining or rnd has a chance to do anything.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Lemondo
Byond Username: Lemonlord

Post by Lemondo » #201980

I'm alright with what you're saying, maybe not something they need another department's compliance for seeing as I've made nitroglycerin maybe 3 times in my career as a chemist, but having them be high maintenance is fine with me. If I was actually capable of making something as effective as a prenerf hellfoam or a prenerf fluorosulphiric acid grenade, even if it took like 5 or 10 minutes per I would be happy. I just hate that my only real kill option with a chem is a 20 clf3 20 napalm patch, this will kill them in pretty short order, but at the same time it causes a lot of chaos that I don't want out of a single target option. And on the other end of the spectrum it seems most of the grenades I make which I would want to cause chaos with aren't guaranteed to kill anyone. I throw out a hellfoam now and the group of people slip all over each other and take like 50 or 60 heat damage before they put it out, but no one really dies.

I agree chemistry has had a lot of overpowered options in the past. And some of the nerfs I staunchly agree with, such as lube becoming visible, but I feel right now is a definite low point. Honestly if I could get the options I had before at even half the potency I would be a very happy man. It just doesn't feel right as a chemist choosing the brutish path of bashing someone's head in, when I should be poisoning them or doing something that actually involves my chemicals.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #201982

Try emagging the chem dispenser
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
killerx09
Byond Username: Killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #201993

What does that give you?
Reece

Post by Reece » #201994

Carpotoxin, miners salve and another chem IIRC?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #202008

Reece wrote:Carpotoxin, miners salve and another chem IIRC?
Unstable Mutagen but don't quote me on that
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #202015

Carpotoxin, Toxin, Morphine, Miner's Salve and Space Drugs
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #202023

Considering poisons are fire and forget once you stick them with the syringe, having to wait 30 seconds for whoever you stick to go down (unless you use choral or neurotoxin, which completely negates your point about them being able to get help?) is perfectly fine since all you have to do is pursue them until they fall over. I see people use hellmixes in syringe guns all the time in rev and wizard since it only takes one shot to kill someone unless they get IMMEDIATE medical attention, which good luck getting if you stick them in maint or arrivals. As for grenades, using 2 large beakers to make a phlog grenade is by far one of the best ways to clear out a nest/base, I don't get how it's not lethal enough when given access to a lathe to print out beakers (which you don't even need to bother cargo for on meta) you can whip up multiple grenades quickly and spam them everywhere in very short order

Chemistry is very powerful if you know how to use it right, it's just that most people don't
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Ergovisavi
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #202035

This thread is silly.Chemistry is arguably the #1 most reliable source of completely unfun kills in this game.

Projectiles that instantly mute you, instantly stun you, kill you in one shot without immediate help from an outside source all at once, are available seconds after round start to non antagonists, and can be made in plain sight because most people will just see a beaker full of unknown reagents? And you want it buffed?
Reece

Post by Reece » #202039

Ergovisavi wrote:This thread is silly.Chemistry is arguably the #1 most reliable source of completely unfun kills in this game.

Projectiles that instantly mute you, instantly stun you, kill you in one shot without immediate help from an outside source all at once, are available seconds after round start to non antagonists, and can be made in plain sight because most people will just see a beaker full of unknown reagents? And you want it buffed?
Pretty much. I think my worst moment with chem was jamming five grenades on a timer in my backpack (something stupid like five minutes, it was close to leaving time), it was a mix of phlog, plasma gas, toxin gas, teslium gas, flashpowder, acid foam, Chloral, and a few other fun toxic gasses. Got pulled over for doing traitor shit with the grenades timers ticking over, the HOS and warden were discussing how to kill me, didn't bother searching first so the grenades all went off with me, HOS, warden, three other sec officers, an assistant and the CMO who had come in to treat my beating wounds.
All of us burned together, the plasma gas spread the fire all over the place, the teslium kept shocking people and the poor bastard who did manage to escape (after slipping up in acid foam) into the brig office collapsed two seconds after as all the toxin and chloral took effect.
If I had put them on a voice analyser, and tossed the backpack into sec after the CMO (if I weren't caught) and set it off I'd have effectively nuked security, two of the command staff and all witnesses to the crime whilst making the area unlivable.

I honestly can't think of anything worse than a smart chemist with time on their hands.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #202045

There are some extremely deadly and fast acting chemmix's.
I made a chemmix pill (50u of course) that knocks your ass out for 4 minutes+.
Mixing some of the bigger poisons and a few other things like lexorin you can suffocate them and poison them to unable to walk in under 10seconds. Use a bit of lube and they have no chance of getting away. Number one option for a stealthy kill is naming it like tricord and giving it to them saying theyre hurt and just walk away normally. People rush in and out of medbay so fast they wont notice untill its too late. Having been a Chem shitter for a week straight once it was fun testing shit out.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #202065

I like filling spray bottles with phlog and napalm mix and then spraying the clown with my shitty ghetto flamethower.