IC conflicts

Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

IC conflicts

Post by Slignerd » #205437

There's this pattern that I see more often now than I did ever before.
  1. Person is being an obstructive asshole.
  2. Person gets retribution for being an obstructive asshole.
  3. Person whines to admins about the consequences they brought on themselves.
  4. Admins actually act on that.
For a long time, I honestly thought /tg/ was better than this - that if someone is being extremely obstructive to other crew, it's acceptable to stop them - and end their round if they won't stop. Yet there's this trend where people come up with a shitty approach to the round and other players in it, and then complain to admins about it when other crew gets tired of their shit and puts and end to it. For example, a captain exposing places to space, chanting "windows are sin", then ahelping when he gets put into containment.

I mean, there's this rule of "Don't be a dick" - "Going out of your way to seriously negatively impact or end the round for someone with little IC justification is against the rules." But how much does it matter when the crew can actually get admins on their tail for responding to such situations?
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Re: IC conflicts

Post by sirnat » #205454

This is known as ban baiting, and when I used to greytide 24/7, break into places and be an outright shit, people would usually kill me and id ahelp it. Kor then perm banned me from assistant, in which since then I'm not as bad as I used to be.

Admins take notice to constant ahelpers about being killed, they'll get banned for ban baiting, but if you think you were bwoinked/banned unfairly just post in fnr or talk to the admin/headmin.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #207398

On the one hand, this is banbaiting and it is shit.

On the other hand, players are quick to jump to vigilante justice when there are so many nonlethal ways to resolve a situation, including calling security, i.e. the one thing that separates security from validhunting department 2556.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #207405

> People act like shit. breaking windows, breaking into the brig and stealing all access
> I arrest them
> Bwoink
> "Insane, why did you gulag Shitler Greytideson? He says he dindu nuffin, why would you punish such a nice person?"
> Every fucking time.

Now, admins are only doing their jobs, following up on adminhelps, but the practice of being absolute shit than trying to get the one who stopped you in trouble is fucking omnipresent.
Bring back papercult.

Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #207407

I can't remember which mud it was that had a rule that basically read "doing things to get a reaction out of other players means that you will get a reaction out of them. don't bitch to us when it's not the reaction you want"
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #207416

Screemonster wrote:I can't remember which mud it was that had a rule that basically read "doing things to get a reaction out of other players means that you will get a reaction out of them. don't bitch to us when it's not the reaction you want"
Sadly, some admins are still eager to play along with the bitching regardless.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #207429

If I could get your side of the story without the big scary BWOINK then I would, but often times things aren't so black and white and i've told those shitters off who ahelp "ARRESTED DINDU NUFFIN" and I check their attack logs and they've stabbed like 30 different people randomly.

I like to give them a couple chances, like "You really truly didn't do anything? Didn't go off and stab anybody?" "NO SUH DID NUFFIN"
At that point they're too retarded to live and just gave me an easy ban.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #207430

we should add a "nice PM" button that just plays a soothing ding
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #207433

I just use SM's when I want to say "don't say the word round IC" without spooking the person too bad
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #207468

Sligneris wrote:Sadly, some admins are still eager to play along with the bitching regardless.
It's not playing along with the bitching, it's getting it "on paper," so to speak, that the banbaiting party was indeed being shit. Otherwise, they could easily say "well, you didn't even TRY to investigate, so how could you make that decision?"

Fact: At least a third of bwoinks do not result in a ban or even a warning or note, they are just admins confirming that the initial ahelp was indeed invalid.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #207564

Fact: two thirds of bwoinks result in a warning, note, or a ban.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #207760

InsaneHyena wrote:> People act like shit. breaking windows, breaking into the brig and stealing all access
> I arrest them
> Bwoink
> "Insane, why did you gulag Shitler Greytideson? He says he dindu nuffin, why would you punish such a nice person?"
> Every fucking time.

Now, admins are only doing their jobs, following up on adminhelps, but the practice of being absolute shit than trying to get the one who stopped you in trouble is fucking omnipresent.
Yeah, but there's not much problem with being bwoinked. You just type back, explaining why you brigged them, and then if it turns out they were lying, they'll get a note. Job's a good 'un.
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #208061

Just explain yourself like a reasonable person, that's not exactly some horrible punishment.
RIP
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #208075

Player A greytides the brig, he has been doing this every round for week.
Arrest Player A, gulag them for 1,000 pts.
They hit the gulag, suicide, ahelp.
I get bwoinked asking why. Explain what happened. Get off scot free.
Player A tries to grudge my character next round. Can't do it since I change IC names if I get bwoinked. Greytides the brig anyway, gets gulagged 1,000 pts.

Player A next round plays hilariously incompetent sec and tries to grudge me.

I'm irked why he isn't banned from the server since he greytided as station jobs since he got banned from assistant.

Lately I've had to arrest him and his metacrew. It's gotten to the point I routinely prepare to arrest 3 people because of one guy since his buddies pop out to rescue him.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #208089

This isn't ban requests
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #208090

oranges wrote:This isn't ban requests
Never said any names. I'm just discussing the scale of IC issues I've been dealing with this past week.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #208120

why dont you ahelp it jmad
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #208200

I do. Unfortunately I never heard back of results or witness anything happen afterward (note this doesn't not mean nothing happened).

Which could be seen as a policy discussion;
Should players that Ahelp get closure on their enquiries on IC issues?
Last night there was a metagroup of 3-4 sec players. After a helping them, an admin told me they were on it. It would have been helpful to get closure on what concluded (all players were banned), and would offer better feedback to admins when you know they've done something and your Ahelp is officially resolved.