General SS13 Chat
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Why is Artyom dying?

Post by paprika » #20088

Bottom post of the previous page:

hbl is the most edgy
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #20089

The way some of the players get insanely butthurt at the mention of Sibylites is hilarious, and probably keeps people who like Sibyl (almost everyone) away.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #20090

No, sybil existing is why people who like sybil don't go on artyom.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #20102

While I agree with what Paprika said at the start of the thread, a lot of it is to blame on the vast majority of the population taking a break or getting upset and leaving.

I haven't been playing as much myself, mainly do to new living conditions. Artyom just doesn't feel like Basil at all. It's like a poor copy, a rip off Captain Crunch.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #20105

Funny because literally nothing changed. Sybil would be the rip off version of Basil because of the movespeed nerf.
Right now, Artyom is the closest to 2013 Basil compared to both.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #20132

ColonicAcid wrote:i stopped playing because i lost the motivation to play.
y'know the fun thing about ss13 was learning it. I went on goon like a week back and I had more fun than I have had playing this shitty game for the last 2 years. Why? Because woah what is this and what is that and I can OD on bath salts and wow I can supplex people. This is superficial mechanics due to the fact that after a while it'll stop being fun because you understand it. This game for me lacks any form of retention value apart from roleplay, and when the roleplay isn't exactly great there is no point in staying.
I stopped playing on Goon when they removed poo and urine. It was hilarious to walk into the bar midshift only to find it completely splattered with piss, shit, and vomit. Also watching assistants smear their feces all over security was hilarious too.
Spoiler:
clearly the only way to save Artyom is to add pissing and shitting
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #20133

I haven't read most of the thread yet, but here is why I don't play on artyom:

I resent it.

I love MetaStation.

I also love tgstation.

Before artyom came about, I didn't have to choose between the two.

But then it took all of the players on basil, and now basil doesn't even run metastation.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #20168

basil runs metastation when there's more than 20 players online
Rumia29

Post by Rumia29 » #20175

allura wrote:basil runs metastation when there's more than 20 players online
So never.
Battle of the Servers 2014: Team Terry Member
Image ImageImage
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #20183

I think the better question is now what should be done about this. Nothing, wait and see if it dies/recovers? Try to get Basil revived somehow? Something else entirely?
Rumia29

Post by Rumia29 » #20184

Personally, what I'd really like to see is /NT/ and /TG/ codebases merging, and the Arytom people moving back to Basil.
But that's just me.
Image ImageImage
Mandurrrh

Post by Mandurrrh » #20186

Rumia29 wrote:Personally, what I'd really like to see is /NT/ and /TG/ codebases merging, and the Arytom people moving back to Basil.
But that's just me.
^ same.

Also required consistent admin presence. We have enough admins. If there are four on Sybil and none on artyom that's just ridiculous. Having admins around would do wonders. Look at how successful niknak was yesterday and how much fun was had.
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Post by Aurx » #20213

Mandurrrh wrote: Also required consistent admin presence. We have enough admins. If there are four on Sybil and none on artyom that's just ridiculous. Having admins around would do wonders. Look at how successful niknak was yesterday and how much fun was had.
If there's multiple admins on one server and none on another, go and BWOINK them. If nobody transfers after you've sent a few adminhelps, that's good reason to hit up #adminbus and start pinging people and to make an admin complaint about the lot of them to raise awareness that there was an issue and nobody acted.
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #20227

Admin events won't fix the population. It may curb the leaving slightly but it wont attract new people because Sibyl has the exact same thing. Fix the cause not the symptoms.
And honestly, I would rather have 4 admins on a 70 player server making sure there's eyes and ears on there than no admins on a 10 player server that has a good knowledge of the rules and a stagnating player base so it pretty much policies it self. Social policing is a pretty big thing on Artyom, It's why erpers don't stay on for very long, pretty much everyone who isn't their erp partner despises them.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #20298

MrStonedOne wrote:I haven't read most of the thread yet, but here is why I don't play on artyom:

I resent it.

I love MetaStation.

I also love tgstation.

Before artyom came about, I didn't have to choose between the two.

But then it took all of the players on basil, and now basil doesn't even run metastation.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

im fine with ntcode but basil was my all-time favorite, most fun server and now basil is ded.
chances are it won't even run metastation anymore in the near future.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #20311

You just love to brownnose dont you.
lmao
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #20320

I am mostly not playing much of late. I will get keen again at some point then take another break, some people just don't come back. To make up for people who don't return or can't be relied upon to be frequent you need new blood, input for output. Sometimes easy ways out of getting input fail sometimes you get new people out of the blue.

Brooding on decline is a fantastic way to accelerate it if you aren't doing anything to change the course.
Helios127
Rarely plays

Post by Helios127 » #20337

Oh, Ill tell you why.

Millions rejoiced as NTstation came around town. "MORE CONTENT! MORE UPDATES!" people replied. "FUCK THE CODERBUS CONSPIRACY! THEY HAVENT ADDED ANYTHING INTRESTING SINCE THE XENO LAB!"

Now we fast foward to now. Sure, we still have stuff like DEEP FRIED DEEP FRIED cookary, but updates have been slooooww.

AS SUCH THE NTSTATION CODERS WILL NEED TO STEP UP THEIR CODING GAME IF THEY WANT MORE PEOPLE ON THE SERVER. ITS ALL IN THEIR HANDS NOW!
just play on /vg/station, go have fun for christs sake
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #20340

Everytime I've gotten on since my return I've given someone a gun and ordered them to shoot me to death it was so boring.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #20346

Can we all agree to let this thread die? It's not helping the situation. In fact I'm pretty sure it's directly contributing to it. We got some 30 players on artyom all last night, we'll live through this, now quit being so pessimistic.
Apparently I was an director or something.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #20350

WJohnston wrote:Can we all agree to let this thread die? It's not helping the situation. In fact I'm pretty sure it's directly contributing to it. We got some 30 players on artyom all last night, we'll live through this, now quit being so pessimistic.
And don't forget that, once again, Sibyl had this exact problem a year or so ago -- never getting above 15 players, always getting the shit roundtypes, with the added "bonus" of being shat on by the other server. Most of this really is due to people gravitating toward where the players are.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #20357

WJohnston wrote:Can we all agree to let this thread die? It's not helping the situation. In fact I'm pretty sure it's directly contributing to it. We got some 30 players on artyom all last night, we'll live through this, now quit being so pessimistic.
On average. On average Artyom is dead.
It has >20 players pretty much 2-3 hours every day. Anyone living in Europe has a tough chance to get a time with any players that isn't in the early hours of the morning. I'm talking how the server starts getting players at around 22:00 and it dies off at around 01:00/02:00.
Every other time? Hah good luck getting above 10 players. That isn't alive in the slightest, that is a very unstable population that half of the world can't benefit from.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #20359

Helios127 wrote:AS SUCH THE NTSTATION CODERS WILL NEED TO STEP UP THEIR CODING GAME IF THEY WANT MORE PEOPLE ON THE SERVER. ITS ALL IN THEIR HANDS NOW!
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #20398

ColonicAcid wrote:On average. On average Artyom is dead.
It has >20 players pretty much 2-3 hours every day. Anyone living in Europe has a tough chance to get a time with any players that isn't in the early hours of the morning. I'm talking how the server starts getting players at around 22:00 and it dies off at around 01:00/02:00.
Every other time? Hah good luck getting above 10 players. That isn't alive in the slightest, that is a very unstable population that half of the world can't benefit from.
Agreeing with this. We have 20+ players for maybe an hour or two on good days like weekends. Not a single 20+ player round today either.
Helios127 wrote:Millions rejoiced as NTstation came around town. "MORE CONTENT! MORE UPDATES!" people replied. "FUCK THE CODERBUS CONSPIRACY! THEY HAVENT ADDED ANYTHING INTRESTING SINCE THE XENO LAB!"

Now we fast foward to now. Sure, we still have stuff like DEEP FRIED DEEP FRIED cookary, but updates have been slooooww.
This too. I thought peoples would port the stuff from /tg/ to NT but seems to have stopped and NT is behind on features now.

Also what happened to the peoplse who promised stuff like goonchem, goon genetics, spaceships and all that stuff?
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #20408

Most of those promises were made by StarToad. StarToad isn't part of the NTstation team anymore.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #20442

>taking any of Startoad's promises into actual value.
Your fault.
allura

Post by allura » #20446

i have access to startoad's mostly finished spaceship code.
the ships are fully sprited and have 11 tiers of upgrades, but everything past 6 is mostly useless or just for show.
the ships suffocate you when you go in, and that's about the only thing keeping them from functioning
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #20449

allura wrote:i have access to startoad's mostly finished spaceship code.
the ships are fully sprited and have 11 tiers of upgrades, but everything past 6 is mostly useless or just for show.
the ships suffocate you when you go in, and that's about the only thing keeping them from functioning
*cough* MOSTLY MY CODE *cough*

and it's here, everyone has access to it, it's called Open source for a reason:
https://github.com/RemieRichards/NTstat ... T_VEHICLES

Whether Toad did anything with it in the 3 ish weeks he had it before he quit, I don't know.
But this is the Construction code, Icon code, Hooks into the main code, etc.
私は完璧
allura

Post by allura » #20450

startoad's code adds so much to your code that it's entirely different
it has slots for weapons to be inserted that are constructed, upgrades for engines and boosters, etc.
he did a lot in the 3 weeks.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #20451

allura wrote:startoad's code adds so much to your code that it's entirely different
it has slots for weapons to be inserted that are constructed, upgrades for engines and boosters, etc.
he did a lot in the 3 weeks.
Annoying that he never showed me it then, it was supposed to be a collaboration after all, he saw and got my code, I saw/got squat.
私は完璧
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #20464

Helios127 wrote:Oh, Ill tell you why.

Millions rejoiced as NTstation came around town. "MORE CONTENT! MORE UPDATES!" people replied. "FUCK THE CODERBUS CONSPIRACY! THEY HAVENT ADDED ANYTHING INTRESTING SINCE THE XENO LAB!"

AS SUCH THE NTSTATION CODERS WILL NEED TO STEP UP THEIR CODING GAME IF THEY WANT MORE PEOPLE ON THE SERVER. ITS ALL IN THEIR HANDS NOW!
lol
im not even going to bother trying to explain why this is the worst post i have seen today.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Helios127
Rarely plays

Post by Helios127 » #20488

Miauw wrote:
Helios127 wrote:Oh, Ill tell you why.

lol
im not even going to bother trying to explain why this is the worst post i have seen today.
Its true though. Updates for NTstation alongside new content has hit a brick wall. If we have more content, then we will have more intrested players.

Having the movespeed not shat upon helps, but it only helps so much.
just play on /vg/station, go have fun for christs sake
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #20495

sanic speed is shit
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #20526

I rather imagine that the excessive population bursts that cause us to open up a second server every now and again are perhaps cyclic in nature. Some feature is released or some new report is made, an influx of players arrive.

We reach a point where two servers can be sustained, then as time goes on population drops again as older people phase out and some newer players also leave and we can no longer support two servers worth of population again.
Giacom
Byond Username: Giacomand

Post by Giacom » #20570

Basil has MetaStation again.
Check out my MiniStation map, for low population servers. http://tgstation13.org/wiki/MiniStation
Rumia29

Post by Rumia29 » #20599

Giacom wrote:Basil has MetaStation again.
It begins.
Image ImageImage
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #20603

As a player...

I personally prefer NT code, playerbase, and the map. I have however migrated to Sybil solely based on the population and lack of round types. Back-to-back traitor rounds coupled with almost complete silence on the radio. Simply put, Sybil is fun, Artyom is not. It is not fun because there are not enough players. I am a part of this problem.

As a coder...

The NT codebase is a wonderful testing platform for code I wish to post to /tg/. The diversion in code is becoming more apparent each day, making ports increasingly difficult, however. My largest project, Botcall, is going to be a complete nightmare to bring up to /tg/'s code. Ensuring it adheres to coding standards is another beast to tackle.

I do not want to see Artyom die. I love it, I want to see it thrive, but I cannot have fun when the numbers look like this:
Screenshot 2014-07-21 12.47.48.png
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #20623

MAGNI WE MISS YOU
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #20624

The coding standards are legit and exceptions are made sometimes so I wouldn't worry about it. You can always get it merged and some more experienced coder will clean it up down the line, but it's something /tg/ tries to avoid for good reason. Keep at it gun hog, it's a feature AIs have needed for a long time.

Yeah fuck artyom I have serious cabin fever and it's starting to get old. I like beating up different greyshirts every day on sybil, it keeps things fresh and playing security on sybil is actually fun (most of the time).
Kuraudo
Byond Username: Arumashi

Post by Kuraudo » #20767

From someone new to TG; I don't play on Artyom because of the weird map and the unknown mechanics of NT code. I was used to play on other TG based servers (Facepunch, LLA,Yog) and i'd rather stick to what i already know.
"He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are brigged."
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #20773

I don't think there's even any big differences in NTCode. At least, not now. Might change if dismemberment and other projects are actually finished.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #20774

ExplosiveCrate wrote:I don't think there's even any big differences in NTCode. At least, not now. Might change if dismemberment and other projects are actually finished.
SoonTM https://github.com/NTStation/NTstation13/pull/832
私は完璧
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #20789

Better scaling for lower pop counts would help a lot that is all I shall say it probably would get ported to TG aswell since it is something that is needed.

The game modes everyone enjoys are for big pop counts. Same with how pretty much everything is designed. NT if you want more players you need to attract them with rescaled game modes. Blob could easily be redesigned to grow faster but hit weaker and have more weaknesses than welder.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #20853

Here is to hoping that Hand of God, Neerti's new game mode, will be the savior of the server. It is shaping up to be AMAZING. It may give us the jump start we need.

Alternatively, we could see how placing Artyom (And perhaps Basil as well) onto the public BYOND hub would affect our population. It is a bit of a gamble, given the risk of being invaded by griefers, thus resulting in total evacuation of the former players. On the other hand, it could end well with us gaining a much needed population surge.

Either way, we should petition http://spacestation13.com/about/ to add us to the appropriate group on that page.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #20854

Didn't the last time we placed one of the servers on the public list result in a big influx of unsavoury players?

In addition, while I'm looking forward to the Hand of God game mode, the problem is that it will undoubtedly require 20 to 30 players (Betting on 30) readying up to play it. Which as we all know is a problem.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #20864

Is it not worth the risk, though, Steelpoint? You are a regular Security player! You will have more chances to use that baton you love so much! The admins can work as the OOC filter as you as Sec act as the IC filter! The filth will be purged, and the treasured players can stay!
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #20865

Personally I've rarely touched Artyom, in between the constant grey tiding, hostile attitude and blatant rescuing of "friends" from being arrested I've decided to stick to a server that does not drag out Traitor for two hours and has a relativitly consistent Sec population.

Seriously, my own Officers stun me and throw me out an airlock because I was being a "bad hos". Fuck that noise.

(Its amusing that every single time I've been on Artyom I ended up getting someone banned for being a shit, two ban request threads in a row)
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #20867

Hey at the end of the day if someone is so entitled to want to meet/break out their friends who are in perma, just throw them in with them.

I don't think any Admin actually could ban you for instantly permabrigging someone who is attempting to break out a prisoner.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #20868

ColonicAcid wrote:Hey at the end of the day if someone is so entitled to want to meet/break out their friends who are in perma, just throw them in with them.

I don't think any Admin actually could ban you for instantly permabrigging someone who is attempting to break out a prisoner.
When I catch them I usually just toss them into perma with the internal doors bolted, its very clear in Space Laws that aiding a known criminal will net you the exact same sentence the criminal received.

To be honest, this behaviour I'm spouting about does happen on both servers. Its just on Sybil there are more than enough players to pad out the negate issues, yet on Artyom that is often not the case.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #20876

Before anyone still argues that "It's not dead we get 30 players one time out of 30 days in the month!"

Hmm hmm.
Aranclanos
Byond Username: Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #20923

artyom was stable until this thread happened btw
I accept donations, click here