ERP ban discussion, no lock edition.

paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

ERP ban discussion, no lock edition.

Post by paprika » #7513

Bottom post of the previous page:

Why does every thread talking directly about ERP get locked in some form or another? This isn't erro's forum, there's no moderator bias, so just talk about it civilly. Of course, if shit gets out of hand, the thread will need to be locked, but this is a direct discussion about ERP and banning it and stuff so that we can clear this issue up and it can't be floating above our heads forever. You might need to restate your opinion on it that you have a million times but for the sake of an actual discussion coming out of this without a lock by me at least I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, to put it in perspective for new people coming to this thread, the basic idea is that a chunk of players want ERP banned for a couple of reasons. One of the reasons is that the server is 18+ but that rule is very, VERY loosely enforced because no admin really wants to be the guy who hands out bans for being 17 on an 18+ server, which is understandable. The proposed solution is to just make ERP bannable outright. The second reason is that it bothers them/detracts from the game/offends them which is an argument with considerably less basis in my opinion.

The people who want ERP to stay generally say 'grow up'. Personally, I think SoS adapting this policy of 18+ for liability reasons was a good idea, but I also think it made a lot of people consider the legal issues WAYYYY too much. I really doubt SoS is going to be arrested for running a game server that a VERY small minority of players use to ERP on, even if one or both of them is a minor, because a) that won't hold up in court b) no lawyer will ever take that shit seriously because this isn't facebook sexual predators we're talking about.

As I've said in the past, I generally think the policy should be that we don't allow ERP, but instead tolerate it, to a point. What constitutes 'taking it too far' past that point should be pretty clear :?
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Usednapkin

Re: ERP ban discussion, no lock edition.

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #19311

paprika wrote:Subtle summed it up pretty nicely. Anyone pro-ERP doesn't ERP and they aren't really pro-ERP, they're pro 'do whatever you want' and this extends to their opinion of people being forced to 'antag' as traitor or what have you.
Except I'm pro-erp and I find it entertaining.
i play :):):):):)autumn sinnow
this man's:):):):):) army
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Helios127
Rarely plays

Post by Helios127 » #19340

420goslingboy69 wrote:
paprika wrote:Subtle summed it up pretty nicely. Anyone pro-ERP doesn't ERP and they aren't really pro-ERP, they're pro 'do whatever you want' and this extends to their opinion of people being forced to 'antag' as traitor or what have you.
Except I'm pro-erp and I find it entertaining.
Theres nothing more fun then to see two people 'close' to one anouther on cameras and yelling

HEY EVERYBODY! PERSON X AND PERSON Y ARE ERPING AT PLACE Z

And then they all went inside. All of them wanted to see the nice round ERP stuff.

But again with that said much like the metafreind problem (which I agree is a serious plauge much like ERPing!) I never fucking see any of this shit going on. Infact much like the Metafreind problem, I would go so far as to say that this is a admin scapegoat.

Where the fuck are we known as "That ERP server" anyways? I have been on "Thoose ERP servers" and trust me, we really are not one of them.
just play on /vg/station, go have fun for christs sake
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #19342

/tg/ being the "ERP Server" was imo more of a buzz word thrown around on the old forums during that whole ERP discussion debacle.

I've personally never seen /tg/ refferd to as a ERP server outside of the TG forums
Helios127
Rarely plays

Post by Helios127 » #19343

Steelpoint wrote:/tg/ being the "ERP Server" was imo more of a buzz word thrown around on the old forums during that whole ERP discussion debacle.

I've personally never seen /tg/ refferd to as a ERP server outside of the TG forums
Ah, good. So us being "That ERP server" is a scapegoat.

GOOD
just play on /vg/station, go have fun for christs sake
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #19344

But napkin has erped publicly before and jerked off his 'erp ability' unironically please don't encourage this you guys
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Alzam
Byond Username: Alzam

Post by Alzam » #19366

I've seen /tg/ touted as "the erp server" alot in the /vg/ general threads. even if those threads are just shitflinging dramafests it still colors peoples perceptions.
Isane
Byond Username: Isane

Post by Isane » #19367

So even you admit the /vg/ threads are crap, yet we should still totally care what they have to say?
Alzam

Post by Alzam » #19369

New players who see the thread will think /tg/ is the server you go to jerk your dick to your lesbian domination fantasies was my point. The threads being shitholes is irrelevant.
Isane

Post by Isane » #19374

I don't know about you, but I rather not have new players who can't even form their own opinion, and instead trust /vg/.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #19376

Alzam wrote:New players who see the thread will think /tg/ is the server you go to jerk your dick to your lesbian domination fantasies was my point. The threads being shitholes is irrelevant.
Prove that these people exist. Cite the tides of new players, or any new players at all, who join solely to ERP.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #19378

paprika wrote:antagonizing people
...that is not any less vague.

ITT people trying to solve imaginary problems
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #19394

We've already had a whole discussion on antags being forced to antagonize or be antag banned and it's pretty much entirely agreed upon that you should untick if you don't want to play antag and you want to erp all round
Last edited by paprika on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alzam

Post by Alzam » #19410

bandit wrote:
Alzam wrote:New players who see the thread will think /tg/ is the server you go to jerk your dick to your lesbian domination fantasies was my point. The threads being shitholes is irrelevant.
Prove that these people exist. Cite the tides of new players, or any new players at all, who join solely to ERP.
My point was that it scares people away, not that it attracts erp people.
Isane

Post by Isane » #19416

Do you really want to play with people who are both foolish enough to take /vg/'s word, and not find out for themselves that the amount of ERP you will actually witness is practically none? Or those that are thin skinned enough to get upset about it and write paragraph after paragraph bad mouthing it?
bandit

Post by bandit » #19420

Alzam wrote:
bandit wrote:
My point was that it scares people away, not that it attracts erp people.
Prove that those people exist. You can't - it's inherently unprovable. If there was a problem with no new players joining you might have a case, but at least on Sibyl we regularly see 70+ people playing in any given round.

admin feedback pls
Alzam

Post by Alzam » #19427

...And Sybil is not the server with the ERP stigma.
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #19436

Let's not go there...
Mat13295
Byond Username: Mat13295

Post by Mat13295 » #19657

Well, that derailed into the humble beginnings of a server war...
I don't even play here anymore, hue.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #19698

I'm not even going to look through this topic because, based on the last few posts, it's just a bunch of shitflinging.
So I'll just throw out my opinion.
ERP should be banned.
:^)
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #19725

Let's have a vote! ツ
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Mono
Byond Username: Mon0

Post by Mono » #19735

Keep erp unbanned. In my opinion erp situation should be handled as such:
1) Ghosts don't like hearing it? Turn fucking ghost ear off and float the fuck away
2) Players don't wanna stubble across it/see it? If you so happen to walk in on people erping do the same thing you would do irl, close the door and walk the fuck away.Or ask to join
3) Admins are unhappy that they are forced to see it? Handle the situation properly. Is it two people in important positions ignoring their jobs? Bwoink them and give them a warning about erping over actually working. Is it an antag using erp for assassination? Do nothing and enjoy the laughs whether the plan works or not. I'd it two people just erping for the fuck of it? Bring down the shenanigans upon them. Tl;dr- Ignore it if antag are using it for creative kills and only use non lethal shenanigans if the people in question are in important positions of power. Or don't,we can replace them.

Pretty much my opinion is summed up as erp is here for the purpose of getting the most hilarious kills, but should be moderated to a degree so that people would rather do their jobs then erp.
Spoiler:
Mono was Sweeny Thyme (survived)
Objective #1: Make an example out of those who would harm the station's innocent animals. Success!
Objective #2: Do not kill them. Success!
The traitor was successful!

DEAD: ADMIN(Scaredofshadows) says, "assistants are to space stations as badgers are to the animal kingdom"
DEAD: ADMIN(Scaredofshadows) says, "too many badgers and they'd take over the world"

OOC: Arkire: Wizards, please obey the wizardly bushido code of honour in the future, so as to avoid hurting the feelings of the people you're allowed - and encouraged - to kill. I suggest falling on your staff and being impaled in order to appease them
Mat13295
Byond Username: Mat13295

Post by Mat13295 » #19767

Funfact: Under dereliction of duty, fucking on the job counts so sec can go nuts (Even though 90% of the crew fuck off to do god knows what instead of work)
I don't even play here anymore, hue.
Nevis

Post by Nevis » #20198

I don't understand why people go out of their way so hard to find ERPers just to be "disgusted" or to make it a "lolvalid" when they are keeping it private; hidden away in mining dorms/some long lost maint. tunnel/etc. If some people privately ERPing people get walked in on or messed with by admins, it's more awkward to them then others usually.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #20521

It's tradition to fuck with ERPers. Be that you're an admin or a player it's your duty as a space denizen to seek them out and then dish out cold hard space love.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #20863

Pretty sure current policy is that admins aren't supposed to mess with ERPers.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #20884

While I'm 90% sure that is not the case, if it has been changed that's autistic and who did it.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #20888

ColonicAcid wrote:While I'm 90% sure that is not the case, if it has been changed that's autistic and who did it.
Basically this.
Spoiler:

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #20908

AFAIK Admin policy has always been "You can mess with them, just don't kill them" and I'd like it to stay that way.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #20909

How fucking lonely do you need to be to pretend you're getting laid in a video game about 2D spacemen?
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #20912

Ikarrus wrote:AFAIK Admin policy has always been "You can mess with them, just don't kill them" and I'd like it to stay that way.
I've seen an admin make one participant a ling with the sole objective of killing the other. Was pretty funny.
*unzips armblade*
Is that acceptable?
Spoiler:

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Rose-chan

Post by Rose-chan » #24244

If you really want to ban ERP, add LOOC functionality.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #24246

Rose-chan wrote:If you really want to ban ERP, add LOOC functionality.
How are the two related in any way?
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Rose-chan

Post by Rose-chan » #24249

Think about it, all the admins see LOOC. You get people ERPing with LOOC enabled; inevitably you'll start seeing questions about penis size, fetishes, etc. being posed in LOOC.
bandit

Post by bandit » #24281

[citation needed]

admin feedback pls
Big Faggot
Byond Username: Floof5467

Post by Big Faggot » #25072

Realtalk......

i think it should be allowed if you arent ruining anyones round. if your locking people up and bedcuffing them every fucking round then yeah thats retarded. but if ur like me and you just fuck someones ass real quick and walk off i think it should be k. anyone who gets upset at "big faggot thrusts" in chat is pretty much a permaNERD.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #25073

One of my favorite things to do during late night snooze fest rounds is to interrupt/mess with ERPers. Don't take that from me.

It leads to me playing detective throughout the halls, a stolen forensic's scan in one hand and my wits in the other. Alice Jackson, I will find you, you won't enjoy it, but I will find you.

Inversely, nothing is more wonderful than seeing what sorts of shenanigans people can come up with. I've seen a guy get off of being arrested for being a ling because he was pretending to be touching the body erotically in the bathroom.

No HoS wants to deal with that.