Games I wish I'd never bought

Talk about video games here
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Games I wish I'd never bought

Post by peoplearestrange » #208834

So I'm sure most if not all of you have 1 or 2 games, sitting in your Steam Libary/on your shelf that you bought, played like once and then never wanted to play again.

Name and shame em'

For me its:
ARK survival.
I just couldn't get into it. I, like a lot of people bought it when a bunch of buddies had it and would talk about it over teamspeak. It sounded fun, like Rust (and I like Rust), but with more stuff and Dinosaurs! But I found it to feel like a cheap knock off. Like a game made in the early 2000's, it just didn't feel polished or nonsensical. It felt like everything was just thrown in a box and shaken around and this kinda mess came out.
Unfortunately I didn't refund it quick enough so even though I played under the hour limit I couldn't get an actual refund.
Summary: I feel both over/underwhelmed by this game.

Rainbow 6 Siege.
OK I get why people like it. Its shiny, the abilities are tacticool and it be a nice idea for a team game. However mixed with random frame freeze (normally in an intense moment) mixed with ping being SUCH a massive factor (people can effectively kill you round corners) I have never been SO fucking frustrated over a game in my life. Seriously, EVERYTIME I play this game I feel stressed. I cannot enjoy it. I get angry and I rage, hard.
Summary: THEFUCKHESHOTMEROUNDTHEFUCKINGCORNERAGAIN!?

DOTA 2.
Ok I admit, this is probably a good game. It looks good, loads of people who's opnion I respect rate it highly and the amount of characters and stuff in it looks amazing! However that is also its downfall for me. I just dont have the time or the will to invest in it to learn it proper. There are too many combinations, so many meta's, so many items. It feels like trying to learn a new language thats based on items, people and movement all at once. Now I played League of legends, like a lot (though not so much these days) so some might say "Well they're both MOBA's, I can't be THAT different", and yeah I guess. But with league I kinda "grew" with it, I played it in the early days and got into it as it evolved. I new the items and characters, I learnt along with it and it just makes Dota feel even more foreign. Like I need to unlearn to relearn this new thing.
Summary: League screwed my ability to be bothered to learn again.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: Games I wish I'd never bought

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #208840

I used to regret buying divinity oregano sin cuz it didn't work in my PC but it works on my new one.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #208841

I had lots of fuck in ARK but yeah it's like all the other building survival games. Dota 2 and league are super different with being mobas. Look at smite. Try to compare any of them and youll see her point.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:I used to regret buying divinity oregano sin cuz it didn't work in my PC but it works on my new one.
The flashbacks I have from that game. Dear god.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #208862

DayZ standalone.
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #208864

Aliens Colonial Marines.

Battleborn.

Probably a few others on my steam library.
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #208866

You actually bought battleborn? I thought like only 15 people bought that game
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #208876

DayZ Standalone, Rainbow Six Siege, Kerbal Space Program, Skullgirls.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #208885

Dark Souls. I want to play it but I can't run it.
Arma 2. My brother really wanted me to play DayZ. Played ten minutes and hated it.
The Escapists. Promising premise but repetitive and with no non-DLC patches.
Starbound. Self-explanatory.
Worms Revolution. Such a letdown.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #208893

>regretting buying siege

A case of seriously needing to git gud.

For me it's

>xcom 2
>Torchlight 2
>Metal Gear Solid 5
>Kingdoms Rise
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #208896

75% of my steams list purchased while the sales were on.
I play Boris Pepper.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #208898

Dark Souls 3. The difficulty curve just feels fucked compared to the original Dark Souls. Really wish I had gotten a refund while I had the chance.
Reyouka
Byond Username: Reyouka

Post by Reyouka » #208905

No Man's Sky
[img]http://steamsignature.com/status/english/76561197966737024.png[/img][url=steam://friends/add/76561197966737024]Image[/url]
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #208915

Spengies, because it's ground to a halt.
KSP, because fuck the devs.
Blade Symphony, because it just didn't appeal to me and this was before refunds were a thing.
Sanctum 1 and 2, despite the good idea behind it not this fun.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #208919

TheColdTurtle wrote:DayZ standalone.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #208924

Luckily with steam's refund policy, I don't regret a lot of my purchases since I set a timer to make sure I can return shit

But before steam's refunds were a thing:
Guild Commander
Premise: Build an adventurer's guild and manage your adventurers
Actual game: No building. Minimal managing. Waiting game. Less gameplay than Progressquest. NO ANIMATIONS WHAT THE SHIT

Airport Madness 4
Flash game. Seriously, it's a flash game. That's all there is to it. Absolutely minimal gameplay and low end graphics
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #208936

Rome 2 Total War
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Post by 420weedscopes » #208954

PROTOTYPE

i went to visit a friend years ago and he had a much better computer than me at the time
also his parents were mild shitheads and just gave him money so he always had The Latest Games
now one time we played PROTOTYPE and i thought "wow this is fucking radical holy shit"
years passed and i got engaged and served in the military and got a degree and had depression and we're here today
i purchased PROTOTYPE for the ps3 (the only thing i had for video game) and here's me thinking
hey wow i didn't get to play this much before! i can't wait! this is gonna be so cool!

that game is so fucking boring and uninspired
the map is manhattan lite, so instead of a unique and magical map where i can jump on fancy buildings and barge through cool parks
i just get a big rectangle with more rectangles inside
i have beaten maybe 10-15% of that game after about 30 hours of doing the exact same shit over and over and over
KILL A TANK kill this guy BREAK INTO HERE save this dude but then don't DO A JUMP
it remains the only game i have never completed

i have completed Two Disgaea Games and haven't completed PROTOTYPE
give that a think
Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg
XSI

Post by XSI » #208968

Prototype was pretty shit

And the ending is even more shit
Honestly, the whole thing needed a lot more work
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #209001

Alipheese wrote:I had lots of fuck in ARK but yeah it's like all the other building survival games. Dota 2 and league are super different with being mobas. Look at smite. Try to compare any of them and youll see her point.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:I used to regret buying divinity oregano sin cuz it didn't work in my PC but it works on my new one.
The flashbacks I have from that game. Dear god.
Is it good? I was playing it with my girlfriend but we sorta lost interest just after the first town and forgot to keep playing.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #209002

prototype can be fun to fuck around in for a little bit if you have all the powers but the missions are boring as fuck

for me my regret is Natural Selection 2, i dont know how good it actually is but basically my buddy on steam kept begging me to get it so we could play it. i saw one video of it and thought "hey they doesnt look too bad" and picked it up. quickly found out my computer could barely run it, game wasnt as fun as i had hoped it was, etc

my friend lost interest in the game like a week later and at that point i had no real reason to play it anymore and havent touched it in maybe a couple years, this was before steam refunds so i didnt get my money back or anything.

maybe now that i've got a slightly better computer it might be worth trying again, iunno
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #209008

Monopoly
Kor wrote:Is it good? I was playing it with my girlfriend but we sorta lost interest just after the first town and forgot to keep playing.
Divinity is one of the best RPGs I've played but if it couldn't keep your attention by that point then i doubt it'd get it back after that. Your mistake might've been not playing a straight wizard.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #209011

Reyouka wrote:No Man's Sky
Steam offered refunds.
I play Boris Pepper.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #209012

Jordie0608 wrote:Monopoly
Kor wrote:Is it good? I was playing it with my girlfriend but we sorta lost interest just after the first town and forgot to keep playing.
Divinity is one of the best RPGs I've played but if it couldn't keep your attention by that point then i doubt it'd get it back after that. Your mistake might've been not playing a straight wizard.
I played a cleric and I was kinda getting tired of nothing but missing.

Also we left for a trip so it wasn't entirely the games fault that we lost track of it.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #209013

all of them
XSI

Post by XSI » #209024

Bluespace wrote:
Steam offered refunds.
A refund doesn't refund your wasted time
Just your cash
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #209028

ARMA 2 series.

Its just not, well, fun, and dayz wasnt good enough to justify the cost of it. Bullets go wherever they want, and the enemy insurgents(? i dont even know) all have cloaking fields and laser-guided bullets.

The sniper mission was -almost- fun, even though its literally just sneaking around the side of a mountain and waiting, but they can see you, lying dead still, in a ghille suit, halfway up a mountain 1.5 kilometers away and spook before their general gets there. Oh and your sighter has to be explicitly told not to shoot everything in sight on a fucking stealth mission, which took me a while to figure out.

I'd give it about a 4/10.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #209082

This. I got to about 33% of the way then realized unless you're a mage youre going to suck the dick of every mob from then on to even just continue 5 feet.
I also decided to put myself through 3 hours of save scumming in the cave for the best weapon in game because I could. The torture.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #209106

Is Divinity bad? Just installed it last night, didnt get a chance to play yet. I tend to like those sorts of games but i also almost never play wizard
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Laharl Monthy
Byond Username: Laharl Montgommery

Post by Laharl Monthy » #209109

Alipheese wrote:
This. I got to about 33% of the way then realized unless you're a mage youre going to suck the dick of every mob from then on to even just continue 5 feet.
I also decided to put myself through 3 hours of save scumming in the cave for the best weapon in game because I could. The torture.
Yeah, Mage have it pretty easy. But I wouldn't throw away warriors, tho.

My gaming bud's running a glasscannon mage ( Double the AP, double the magic funsies!), while me and Madora (one of the available companions) are at the front crippling blow the living fuck out of EVERYTHING while feasting on the blood of our enemies.
The grand problem of Divinity : Original Sin is that the starting area is a hell of a slog (until you finally reach the forest). Mainly because you don't have as much flexibility early on against ll the shit that's being thrown at you. I'd say the lighthouse and Baron are the biggest walls out there - after that, it gets significantly easier. Once you get to manipulate the mechanics of the game, it gets INCREDIBLY fun.
Wyzack wrote:Is Divinity bad? Just installed it last night, didnt get a chance to play yet. I tend to like those sorts of games but i also almost never play wizard
No, it's fun. Also, you get to play two characters, not just the one - so I do recommend going the good ol' warrior/mage combo at the start.
Also get a friend to play the game with. It's got co-op. Best part : you can interrupt the big bosses monologues if you're not the one talking, it's hilarious. "Fuck you, we do our cheapshot FIRST."
killerx09
Byond Username: Killerx09

Post by killerx09 » #209131

My two main characters in Divinity was a rogue and a two-handed warrior.

We had stole gathered 10k gold, tons of grenades, scrolls and food before we even left the starting town because, all thanks to the rogue.

Afterwards, I picked up the Archer and the Warrior in-town, then proceeded to use the two warriors as CC/tank, my archer as the main damage dealer and my rogue as a mage stabber who also conveniently has enough action points to throw grenades.

Good times with no magic involved. Winged feet is a must-have though.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #209177

Spore.

Which for some odd reason is now on sale on steam.

I guess its to give No Mans Buy players a chance to play the shit game it keeps getting compared to, to see which is worse.
XSI

Post by XSI » #209222

That's a huge list up there
And I can definitely agree with nearly all of it

I'd say Hearts of Iron 4, if I bought it. As it is, I got it gifted though. Kinda feel sorry for who gifted it, it was expensive and honestly just not very good.
Stellaris as well, I got it to multiplayer with a group of friends. We played once and then never again. Where Hearts of Iron 4 is a game in early beta with a shitton of bugs and shit design decisions, Stellaris is a pre-alpha tech demo. Sure, it doesn't have as many bugs. But there's no content that can have bugs either. It's literally just a showcase of "And this is how the tech and colonisation mechanics of our future game will work. Buy it!"
Bolien
Byond Username: Bolien

Post by Bolien » #209223

TheColdTurtle wrote:DayZ standalone.
This. Tried it a few weeks ago after not touching it for a year or so.

Jesus that game has become such an autistic shit show.
You get wounded you're better of killing yourself, the medical system is beyond trash which makes seek combat a terrible idea if you want to actually survive.
Instead I just play Arma 3 Wasteland.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #209242

Wyzack wrote:Is Divinity bad? Just installed it last night, didnt get a chance to play yet. I tend to like those sorts of games but i also almost never play wizard
It's great if you're capable of pushing through the first bit of the game. Like the first 20 minutes is really just wandering around town gathering clues in regards to a murder and piecing out who's responsible. When you get into the actual combat though it's extremely fun and very dynamic. For example, suppose you hit a zombie. Zombies spill poisonous goo when hit which poisons anything not immune to poison that walks on it but is also flammable. So you can hit that poisonous goo with fire to set the terrain on fire and set anything around or in it on fire. Now if you douse that fire, it'll probably produce a cloud of steam which can act as a smoke screen. If you hit that steam with something electric though, it'll actually electrify that steam stunning anything that wanders into it. That's just a fraction of how in depth the combat mechanics are and how they add a lot of dynamic elements to fights and not going into other things like ice, oil, and even blood (yes enemies and your characters spraying blood when hit can affect a battle if used properly or improperly).
Last edited by Jacough on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reyouka
Byond Username: Reyouka

Post by Reyouka » #209299

Bluespace wrote:
Steam offered refunds.

Not if you're above 2 hours.
[img]http://steamsignature.com/status/english/76561197966737024.png[/img][url=steam://friends/add/76561197966737024]Image[/url]
XSI

Post by XSI » #209322

They did, but only if you left a negative review specifically saying that the game did not deliver what it promised
Also I think there was a timeframe for it

Steam has to do this because laws about marketing
Silavite
Byond Username: Silavite

Post by Silavite » #209326

Heroes and Generals
I thought it would be a fun (or at least decent) WWII shooter, but although the ground mechanics are ok, the progression is absolutely trash and air units feel stupid.

BFP4F (many years ago)
I didn't 'buy' it, because it was free, but oh god, this game. The ground vehicles and (sometimes) jets were fine. Most of the guns were fine (save for a few instances of blatantly OP weapons for a patch or two, like the FAMAS or MG36). The biggest problem was that attack helicopters absolutely ROFLstomped everything, especially if it had a good gunner. It wasn't unusual to see a pilot and gunner with a combined 80/4 KD at the end of a match.

Goldeneye (Wii)
Again, quite a while ago, but this game wasn't very good. The level design was okay in single player, and it had some interesting game modes in multiplayer, but that's about it. The story felt really stilted, and some of the guns in multiplayer were... well... over the top. I will admit that the tank level was a blast to play, however.

I came close to including War Thunder on this list, simply due to the sheer amount of frustration it can invoke when the devs do something stupid in a patch (usually about once a patch. See Ki-100a few weeks ago, XP-55 flight model a few months ago, tank terminal ballistics for the past TWO YEARS, etc.) or when your teammates do something stupid in a match (usually about every match. See... well... a single match).
Yet, I always find myself coming back to the game. It's one of the only aerial WWII games that is in active development at the moment, has a reasonably sized playerbase, and is at least relatively accurate in regards to vehicle characteristics.

Also, I'd like to say that I have 290 hours on KSP and still love it. Then again, I want to devote my life to building things that fly and I'm one of those "math people", so there's a bit of personal bias...
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #209328

Attack Helicopters are always OP as fuck in Battlefield games

Back when I played them with IRL friends I'd pilot and one of them would gun and we'd clean up everything

The UH-60 in Bad Company 2 as well

Got so good at flying that fucker I was dodging missiles by corralling them through the troop bay just to jack off my ego-boner
XSI

Post by XSI » #209329

Silavite wrote:Heroes and Generals
I thought it would be a fun (or at least decent) WWII shooter, but although the ground mechanics are ok, the progression is absolutely trash and air units feel stupid.
That one is free
You paid for a free game
I can see why you'd include it here
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #209337

Payday 2 mostly. Basically the same story as Ark, indie developer made an awesome game, built a huge community of players who were patient and loved the game despite its numerous bugs and somewhat limited content. Then instead of fixing the base game developer greed killed what ever patience and goodwill was left despite numerous requests to fix glaring issues and imbalanced.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #209395

Davidchan wrote:Payday 2 mostly. Basically the same story as Ark, indie developer made an awesome game, built a huge community of players who were patient and loved the game despite its numerous bugs and somewhat limited content. Then instead of fixing the base game developer greed killed what ever patience and goodwill was left despite numerous requests to fix glaring issues and imbalanced.
S A F E H O U S E
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #209400

Wyzack wrote:
Davidchan wrote:Payday 2 mostly. Basically the same story as Ark, indie developer made an awesome game, built a huge community of players who were patient and loved the game despite its numerous bugs and somewhat limited content. Then instead of fixing the base game developer greed killed what ever patience and goodwill was left despite numerous requests to fix glaring issues and imbalanced.
S A F E H O U S E

Oh fucking don't start that again. I haven't looked at the game in over a year but I can pretty much guarantee the stock vanilla safehouse is still the only thing you can get.
CosmicScientist wrote:I hope Endless Space 2 blasts Paradox into realising they need to sort out Stellaris, I mean, if they could make a more interesting web of trade than in EU4 that kicks in around the midgame, that'd be a start. Maybe they could rename Energy and (I think) Crystals/Resources to be less bland.
Endless Space. There is a game I bought and promptly regretted. How the fuck do you make a space sim so boring and repetitive? They found a way.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #209463

I have a shit ton of games in my library that either were gifted, bundled with a game I actually wanted, or some how appeared in the listing that I could complain about
But there's one game that will always stick out

X-Rebirth.
The successor of all X-series games, and was supposed to "reinvigorate" the series
It did not
I paid 60$ and pre-ordered it because I, like thousands of others, were excited
What I got was windows 98 3D "graphics" a story that was fucked from the start and a sea of bugs so massive the game was unplayable
This was before refunds as well so yeah
I'm still salty
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #209506

Here are the games I regret getting:
Plague inc evolved: boring from time to time, workshop is empty and simpleminded, full of shitty grammar and spelling.
Dead by daylight:Ech.
Guild of dungeoneering (Kinda) Can't redo dungeons to grind.
The escapists:Ok, but..... could do with workshop.
Not much else i could think of.

Games I do not regret getting,and actually like, but you guys seem to regret getting.
Starbound:It has WORKSHOP NOW! FULL RELEASE! MODS AND MEMES!
Xcom 2: It's hard, the rng is ungodly, and i love it.
Sims 3 (Ps3 version): KARMA POWERS!
Spore:AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
K-64
Byond Username: K-64

Post by K-64 » #209531

tedward1337 wrote:I have a shit ton of games in my library that either were gifted, bundled with a game I actually wanted, or some how appeared in the listing that I could complain about
But there's one game that will always stick out

X-Rebirth.
The successor of all X-series games, and was supposed to "reinvigorate" the series
It did not
I paid 60$ and pre-ordered it because I, like thousands of others, were excited
What I got was windows 98 3D "graphics" a story that was fucked from the start and a sea of bugs so massive the game was unplayable
This was before refunds as well so yeah
I'm still salty
Even if you look past that, it's just not an X game. There's no real empire building or anything like that. One of my main reasons for playing X3 for literally thousands of hours was being able to create my own self-sufficient ecosystem that bypasses the inevitably already-fucked economy that was there. If I had bought Rebirth for £10, I wouldn't have regretted my purchase. But even if I had bought the patched version for the £40, then I'd still have been disappointed.
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #209535

Ah yes, being able to buy a solar farm, collect the energy cells, then have a ore mining plant to use the cells and produce ore that you could sell while having XL ships move the goods across different systems was amazing
I forgot to mention literally all the arma series. It isn't fun on your own, and only until recently did it run like shit. Arma Apex is probably the only good one out of them
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
XSI

Post by XSI » #209546

While I am not a fan of the Endless Space/Legend games and think they have some pretty glaring flaws
At least I don't regret my purchase

I kinda do with Stellaris

And as much as I think Payday 2 fails to deliver, it has no real competition so it's not like that matters.
And I don't really regret buying it either, but then I'm also not really happy I got it. It exists I suppose
Marza
Byond Username: Rrees5

Post by Marza » #209591

K-64 wrote:... If I had bought Rebirth for £10, I wouldn't have regretted my purchase. But even if I had bought the patched version for the £40, then I'd still have been disappointed.
I haven't touched Rebirth since its launch, but I know you've revisited it a bit. With the patches, scripts and mods, how does it compare to X3:TC? I've had the opinion that the X series of games are either played heavily modified, or not played at all.

Anyway, I'm adding to the list:

DayZ standalone
Duke Nukem Forever
StarForge (Holy crap this one was a trainwreck)
Starbound
StarDrive (Vanilla. Mods made it pretty nice)
Endless Space (Early game, mid game and late game feels identical, just with bigger number tacked onto your military and empire)
The current version of Stellaris (see above)
Civ Beyond Earth

Guns of Icarus Online gets a special mention. Not because it is bad, but because I've enjoyed it and played it so much I feel quite disgusted with myself.
What signature?
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #209618

The only games I really regret buying are the abandonware ones like StarForge, Towns and SpaceBase DF-9. It feels like I enabled shit developers to continue being shit.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #209626

>StarForge

First time I got burned by early access.