Adding a new gameplay mechanic to I.D. cards

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Lwbrown

Adding a new gameplay mechanic to I.D. cards

Post by Lwbrown » #19960

I was thinking of an idea to make it a little bit harder on the traitors. What I think would be cool to add is the ability to void I.D. cards, to make them totally useless to the Traitors,Lings,etc. This might have been done on other servers but i just think it would be an interesting concept. Also it would make it that much harder to get the beloved green text. I don't think it would make thinks that much harder. however i am a noob when it comes to programing so if it would make it easier you could just do it to the heads I.D.
Pontius Pilate: 'I will not have my fwends widiculed by the common soldiewy. Anybody else feel like a little... giggle... when I mention my fwiend... Biggus...'
[A guard sniggers]
Pontius Pilate: '...Dickus?'
[More sniggering]
Pontius Pilate: 'What about you? Do you find it... wisible... when I say the name... Biggus...'
[Sniggering]
[Both guards snigger]
Pontius Pilate: 'He has a wife, you know. You know what she's called? She's called... Incontinentia... Incontinentia Buttocks.'
THE LIFE OF BRIAN
EmptyK01

Re: Adding a new gameplay mechanic to I.D. cards

Post by EmptyK01 » #19966

So like, take them away?
OOC: EnterDOT: I want the US to have a president that for once isn't like Hitler
OOC: EnterDOT: I mean Hillary Clinton

Lwbrown

Post by Lwbrown » #19969

Not really. what i mean is basically wiping the card from a console or something making them useless to the antags
Pontius Pilate: 'I will not have my fwends widiculed by the common soldiewy. Anybody else feel like a little... giggle... when I mention my fwiend... Biggus...'
[A guard sniggers]
[More sniggering]
Pontius Pilate: 'What about you? Do you find it... wisible... when I say the name... Biggus...'
[Sniggering]
[Both guards snigger]
Pontius Pilate: 'He has a wife, you know. You know what she's called? She's called... Incontinentia... Incontinentia Buttocks.'
THE LIFE OF BRIAN
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #19970

There is no objective in the game that requires a antagonist to hold a certain level Access Card.

However your suggestion on offering a way to wipe a ID's access to, say, assistants level would be a good addition, at least for Security, the Captain and the HoP.
Lwbrown

Post by Lwbrown » #19971

I was saying if the antag stole the...lets say HOS I.D..... and the captain new this he could wipe the card preventing access before he could do damage
[A guard sniggers]
[More sniggering]
[Sniggering]
[Both guards snigger]
THE LIFE OF BRIAN
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #19972

I have a concern about devaluing an antag stealing an ID because said ID can be nuked from orbit. I mean yeah on the one hand it's annoying for the heads of staff to not really be able to do much about ID theft, but on the other the antag worked hard to steal said ID only to have it taken away via a no-effort HoP or Captain sitting on a computer.

In practice it would almost certainly only be used to remove access on the Captain's, spare Captain's, HoP's, and HoS's ID's. Maybe the other heads of staff or security officers if someone killed them. So I dunno. I want to hear what other people think about this.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #19973

I actually misunderstood the suggestion, did not know it was to remotely remove access.

Either way though it would encourage antags to get Agent ID Cards to copy over the access before it gets revoked.

Its not necessarily a bad idea and could help cut down on rogue station personnel looting higher access ID's.
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise » #19974

So, it would essentially be a new terminal for Security from which you could manually prevent an ID Card from working?

I would half approve of this. New Traitor Shenanigans, A way to counter a known loud Traitor. On the other hand, imagine the Griff.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #19975

I think we need less magically convenient things.
Lwbrown

Post by Lwbrown » #19976

We could just add it as a another option on the identification console. And i think traitors have it to easy. they always end up ransacking the armory and breaking into the caps office. I just think they need a little more of a challenge.

Edit: i am not meaning i am evil and want to make it hard as possible. am just saying it would add more depth to the game
[A guard sniggers]
[More sniggering]
[Sniggering]
[Both guards snigger]
THE LIFE OF BRIAN
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #20006

";HELP X IS KILLING ME"
>hop removes acces from x
>x is now stuck in a room while sec goes there to kill him

this is just a terrible idea, not to mention the fact that a traitor hop could easily remove acces from everyone and have them stuck in their rooms, unable to do anything.

stopping a traitor should maybe involve some risk instead of just sitting at a computer and disabling him completely without effort. it wouldnt be fun for anyone who got their acces voided.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #20012

Not an idea I'd put into practice.
Now, if we can make paper, money, and IDs flammable that'd be neat.
Light an ID on fire so it's useless, light cigars with a wad of cash, that'd add a new mechanic to the card at least.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #20016

Rather than having the ability to void any ID from any range, how about just giving the HoS and Captain-level access IDs the ability to set Assistant-level access by "swiping" their card on another?

Giving people the ability to void any ID over any range just seems like a bad idea and OP as hell.
Lwbrown

Post by Lwbrown » #20017

I dont see how it would be that op. the wiping thing can work against you too if the antag gets a heads card and wipes the others as well.
[A guard sniggers]
[More sniggering]
[Sniggering]
[Both guards snigger]
THE LIFE OF BRIAN
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #20021

Antag or not, being able to remove any access of an ID at a press of a button is just way too strong. Lets say an antag gets a head-level ID card, he would be able to lock down the station by removing access from every other card in the system. People would be trapped in their departments with no way out. No HoP is going to restore access to 40+ players, or go through the effort to save them from their prisons.

If a known traitor is running around, as others have said, being able to instantly void his ID remotely would screw him over completely. Especially if he is in maint or gets trapped in a department. Sure he could use an Agent card, but that would change the meta a LOT. No traitor item should be "required" for you to do your objective.

I am all for giving heads an easy way to lower access on ID cards without needing to bug the HoP. But this just seems like it would imbalance the game.
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ShizCalev
Github Username: ShizCalev

Post by ShizCalev » #20028

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:I think we need less magically convenient things.
>Implying a research station in space 500 years from now wouldn't have a way to lock out people's access.

>Implying we don't have that already.

It's not really "magically convenient". It's a basic security feature for most corporations today, and has been available for a couple decades. It's just not a very good idea for implementation in this game as it would just throw things completely out of balance.
ImageImage
>Be ling
>Spread misinformation about how SM works to sabotage it
OOC: ChemicalRascal: Lying about game mechanics in relation to an engine that is poorly understood by most isn't cool, though
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #20030

I'm talking game mechanics, not backstory.

I mean, jee, sorry if my post confused you, but look in the title, "gameplay mechanic" probably means something.
Lwbrown

Post by Lwbrown » #20068

Alex Crimson wrote:Antag or not, being able to remove any access of an ID at a press of a button is just way too strong. Lets say an antag gets a head-level ID card, he would be able to lock down the station by removing access from every other card in the system. People would be trapped in their departments with no way out. No HoP is going to restore access to 40+ players, or go through the effort to save them from their prisons.

Thats why I suggested we only do it to the Heads and not the whole crew. Now that i think about it though it would make the station a nightmare if you could wipe any damn card.
[A guard sniggers]
[More sniggering]
[Sniggering]
[Both guards snigger]
THE LIFE OF BRIAN
Crushtoe
Byond Username: Crushtoe

Post by Crushtoe » #20095

Just imagine the grief people would do. Even non-antags break the rules and murder, steal, and do random shit. Imagine an idiotic Captain (which happens ALOT) just deciding, Fuck You HoP! and wiping all of his access. It makes sense backstory wise, but in a game where you need stuff to be balanced, its too overpowered.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #20109

I'd rather have it so heads of staff could use their IDs on their subordinates' ID to instantly demote them. That way, at least the traitor/griffon/clown etc needs to have been subdued beforehand to allow an access downgrade. Also, speaking from personal experience, heads are in a dire need of a more streamlined method to demote misbehaving children in their department.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #20113

Reimoo wrote:I'd rather have it so heads of staff could use their IDs on their subordinates' ID to instantly demote them. That way, at least the traitor/griffon/clown etc needs to have been subdued beforehand to allow an access downgrade. Also, speaking from personal experience, heads are in a dire need of a more streamlined method to demote misbehaving children in their department.
Pretty much this.

While having a computer that could remotely demote access is a nice idea in theory, in practice it would be horrifyingly unbalanced. A AI or head of staff can just revoke that mass murdering Traitors ID and suddenly he's stuck.

Giving heads of staff a simple magnetic swiper in their office that demotes the swiped ID to assistant access would be great.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #20124

I'm pretty sure demotion was added some time ago.

I think swipe is not necessary, I also think that demotion itself is not necessary.

Swipe doesn't make sense, because it would also GIVE THEM MAINTENANCE, in case of some jobs it's even fucking better.

Plus it takes away half of HoP's job and pretty much makes subordinate-head conflicts only be resolvable one way.

Seriously, we have a guy specifically responsible for managing IDs for a reason. We don't have CMO go and fix engines in case CE is a dummy.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #20158

FYI All heads have access to ID computers.

An ID computer exists on the bridge (on boxstation) for all heads to use.

A more intuitive method is in the works, but don't expect it any time soon.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Rolan7
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Rolan7

Post by Rolan7 » #20856

The computer sounds so nice, but I agree it would get abused... shame.

Swiping would be great. I guess I accept that heads are expected to robust and strip insubordinate crew (as if the head were a common greyshirt, not the commanding officer in a military heirarchy), but once they have managed that, they should have a convenient way to remove the access.

As is, there's no real punishment for ignoring the command chain. Even if the head robusts the (somehow non-criminal) deserter, the ID still ends up at the HoP, assuming the head wastes several minutes finding the HoP, and the HoP agrees to do their job.

So there's absolutely no reason for greyshirts not to pick a real job like engineer and just fuck off. Even if the head cares enough to waste 5-10 minutes hunting them down and arranging their demotion, they don't lose anything compared to starting as assistant.

This should really be a job for security. I'd add a new crime: Deriliction of Duty, 0 minutes and demotion. Letting robust heads skip the long HoP visit with a card swipe is good too though.
The EMPEROR OF MANKIND wants YOU to squash bugs. They are symptoms of CHAOS.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #20859

Rolan7 wrote:the ID still ends up at the HoP, assuming the head wastes several minutes finding the HoP, and the HoP agrees to do their job.
It's like you didn't even read the post before yours!
Ikarrus wrote:FYI All heads have access to ID computers.

An ID computer exists on the bridge (on boxstation) for all heads to use.
All heads have the capability to demote their subordinates' IDs
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #20866

His point still stands, though. At the moment the effort needed to demote a subordinate is much more trouble than it's worth.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #20869

Going on that earlier line of thought here's a few quick suggestions.

------------------------------------

- New crime added to Space Law
Dereliction of Duty: Immediate demotion of offending party, stripped of all job related items, access reverted to Assistant level and given standard issue assistant items (Grey Jumpsuit, Backpack, blank PDA).

Dereliction is defined as a crew member willingly abandoning their assigned post without authorization from their department head. If a high priority jobs(Setting up the Sing) is not accomplished then it is considered Dereliction of Duty to all members of that department if they have left that department.

- Addition of spare Assistant items in Security.

- Addition of a system to allow Security to strip access to a given ID down to an Assistant (Head ID's immune to this, Agent ID cards will only disable access for 5 minutes and then automaticly revert to original access).

- Addition of a method to blatantly inform the HoP that a given crew member has been demoted on order of Security, the relevant head or the Captain. (From the requests console?)

- Random idea of giving all heads of staff (Exception to Captain/HoP/HoS) a very basic sidearm for personal defence and to make demotions easier (Even worse than a Taser, one only, maybe two shots).

------------------------------------
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #20870

Security should already be assisting heads with demotions, and codifying it in space law sounds like a good way to reinforce this.

I'm extremely hesitant to give security independent demotion powers, though. If security wants to have someone demoted they should have to go through the department head.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #20872

Ikarrus wrote:I'm extremely hesitant to give security independent demotion powers, though. If security wants to have someone demoted they should have to go through the department head.
I kind of agree with this, I'd rather not have overzealous sec/shitcurity go demote someone because it's roundstart and they're an engineer that left engineering at round-start (after someone else already said they'd set up the singularity), or a scientist stepping out for some food (after spending most of the round breeding slimes), or a roboticist "not doing their job" (when no one wants to be borged), or any of that kind of shit.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #20875

Demotions need to be reasonably easy to do and not a massive waste of time for little gain.

It could be a system where you need a relevant head ID card to do the demotion.

So for example, McJoe AbandonPost the Engineer steals a Engineering Hardsuit and bails at round start. The CE notify s Sec who promptly arrests McJoe, the CE swings by Sec, hands the Officer/HoS their ID which is used on a computer to demote McJoe to an Assistant.

That might be an acceptable compromise to giving Sec full demotion powers.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #20878

Demotions need to be easy for the department head, not security.
Steelpoint wrote:Demotions need to be reasonably easy to do and not a massive waste of time for little gain.

It could be a system where you need a relevant head ID card to do the demotion.

So for example, McJoe AbandonPost the Engineer steals a Engineering Hardsuit and bails at round start. The CE notify s Sec who promptly arrests McJoe, the CE swings by Sec, hands the Officer/HoS their ID which is used on a computer to demote McJoe to an Assistant.

That might be an acceptable compromise to giving Sec full demotion powers.
What you are describing is the process that already exists.

>CE Reports Engineer Mcjoe
>Sec arrests Engineer McJoe
>HoP/CE takes their ID and demotes them using the ID computer
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #20907

No no no, never give the security the ability to demote people, NEVER EVER DO THAT

Seriously, heads have sidearms. They're called flashes.

Heads can demote people, just gotta walk to the bridge.

Are these complaints coming from people who play heads? Because personally I never have an issue with demoting people (which doesn't come up all that often anyway).
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #20911

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Seriously, heads have sidearms. They're called flashes.
Telescopic batons. ;)
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #20984

This is the idea section for regular tgcode, heads don't have telescopic batons.
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #20985

geilebeer wrote:This is the idea section for regular tgcode, heads don't have telescopic batons.
Well we should getting to porting it then, huh?
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #20986

No.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #21059

geilebeer wrote:This is the idea section for regular tgcode, heads don't have telescopic batons.
I know, I'm somewhat-subtly campaigning about some of the cool things Artyom does have.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus